11 April 2019 Military News
- Taliban: UN Suspends Sanctions Against Senior Leaders VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- The Taliban disclosed Thursday that the United Nations has temporarily removed sanctions against its senior leaders who are negotiating a deal with the United States for ending the 18-year-old war in Afghanistan.
- Taliban ban WHO, Red Cross in Afghanistan, citing 'suspicious' activity Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- The Taliban have banned the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) from operating in Afghanistan, citing "suspicious" activity.
- Afghan Government Says Talks With Taliban Delayed Until April 19 RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- The Afghan government says talks with the Taliban that were meant to start on April 14 in Qatar have been rescheduled to begin five days later.
- Poppy Cultivation and Potential Opium Production in Afghanistan The White House 11 Apr 2019
- Governor activates Colorado National Guard as snow pummels area Army News 11 Apr 2019 -- Colorado Gov. Jared Polis has activated the Colorado National Guard to support potential rescue requests from the state and local jurisdictions to save stranded motorists in Colorado during winter storm Wesley, the second bomb cyclone to hit the state during 2019.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Defense Leaders: Space Force Would Build, Accelerate American Space Capabilities DoD News 11 Apr 2019 -- A United States Space Force would build on and accelerate the advantage the U.S. Air Force has given the American military in space, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick M. Shanahan told the Senate Armed Services Committee today.
- Senate Armed Services Committee recognizes importance of space while offering divergent views on Space Force US Air Force 11 Apr 2019 -- The Senate Armed Services Committee acknowledged April 11 that maintaining U.S. superiority in space is a national imperative but expressed skepticism that creating a Space Force as a new, sixth branch of military is the best approach for achieving that goal.
- AFSPC Commander highlights Joint, Coalition warfighters at Space Symposium US Air Force 11 Apr 2019 -- The leader of Air Force Space Command and the Joint Force Space Component Command spoke to members of the international space community, industry and media at the 35th Space Symposium April 9.
- 'We're Going to Have a Space Force Someday,' General Says VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- The general in charge of the U.S. military's space assets told a skeptical Congress on Thursday that creation of a Space Force was inevitable.
- US to Deploy THAAD Interceptors in Romania Despite Moscow's Opposition Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- THAAD is an anti-ballistic missile defence system that intercepts ballistic missiles during their late mid-course or final stage flight both inside and outside the Earth's atmosphere.
- Aegis Ashore missile defence system in Romania undergoes scheduled update NATO 11 Apr 2019 -- NATO's Aegis Ashore Ballistic Missile Defence site in Romania will undergo a long-planned update this summer. This update, which has been taking place across the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defence system fleet, will not provide any offensive capability to the Aegis Ashore missile defence system.
- 156th AW, Puerto Rico ANG, transitions to new contingency response and combat communications missions US Air Force 11 Apr 2019 -- The Air Force announced the transition of the 156th Airlift Wing, Puerto Rico Air National Guard, to the 156th Wing in conjunction with its newly assigned contingency response and combat communications missions, effective April 10.
- Reserve Components Are Focused on Readiness, Leaders Say DoD News 11 Apr 2019 -- Readiness was a top priority for both the National Guard and the services' Reserve components when planning budgets for fiscal year 2020, their leaders told Congress yesterday.
- Harry S. Truman Completes Sustainment Exercise NNS 11 Apr 2019 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) returned to Naval Station Norfolk, Va., after completing a sustainment exercise (SUSTEX), April 11.
- Pacific Partnership 2019 Concludes Mission Stop in Malaysia NNS 11 Apr 2019 -- Senior mission leadership, host nation and partner nation participants attended the closing ceremony of the third Pacific Partnership 2019 (PP19) mission stop in Kuching, Malaysia, April 11.
- NATO Exercises with Romanian Navy in the Black Sea NATO 11 Apr 2019 -- BLACK SEA (April 11, 2019) Five ships from Standing NATO Maritime Group Two (SNMG2) are participating in the annual Romanian-led naval exercise Sea Shield in the Black Sea April 5-13.
- NATO conducts largest medical exercise NATO 11 Apr 2019 -- 26 NATO Allies and 13 partners are currently participating in exercise Vigorous Warrior 2019, NATO's largest medical exercise in its history. Held in Romania, the exercise brings together more than 2,500 participants and offers a unique opportunity to test medical responses to military incidents, from small arms fire to radiation exposure.
- Japan Reveals Doomed F-35A Didn't Send Emergency Signal Prior to Crash Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- The top stealth fighter jet disappeared from radars on 9 April during drills 135 km northeast of Misawa city. Although the crash site was reportedly found, the jet's pilot is still considered missing.
- China makes important contribution to nuclear disarmament: FM Global Times 11 Apr 2019 -- China's stable and transparent nuclear policies have been an important contributor to nuclear disarmament, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Thursday, in response to a US official's proposal that China should join the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
- Indian Satellite's Pieces Unlikely to Collide With ISS - Russian Space Agency Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- The likelihood of a collision between pieces of a destroyed Indian satellite and the International Space Station (ISS) is not high but some of these parts are small and hard to track, Sergey Krikalev, director of manned spaceflight at Russian State Space Corporation Roscosmos said in an interview with Sputnik on Thursday.
- S Korea Agrees to Purchase 'Tremendous' Amount of US Military Equipment - Trump Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- South Korea has agreed to purchase a significant amount of US military equipment, US President Donald Trump told reporters at the White House after meeting with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Thursday.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Moon Jae-in of the Republic of Korea Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 11 Apr 2019
- Department Press Briefing - April 11, 2019 US Dept. of State 11 Apr 2019
- Contracts for April 11, 2019
- Northrop Grumman Awarded $3.2 Billion Multi-Year Contract for 24 E-2D Aircraft Northrop Grumman 11 Apr 2019 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) has been awarded a multi-year contract modification to deliver an additional 24 E-2D Advanced Hawkeye aircraft to the U.S. Navy. The fixed-price-incentive-firm contract is valued at $3.2 billion; the contract also includes an option for nine additional foreign military sales aircraft.
- 11 April 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 11 Apr 2019
- Women must be at 'centre of peacekeeping decision-making', UN chief tells Security Council UN News 11 Apr 2019 -- Women's rights, voices and participation must be at "the centre of peacekeeping decision-making", United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres told the Security Council on Thursday, describing them as "central to sustainable solutions" to challenges facing the Organization worldwide.
- US Visa Ban: A Blow or Unlikely Win for the ICC? VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- Since taking office in 2012, International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda has spent a lot of time on the road, pursuing potential cases in countries as disparate as Mali, Colombia and the conflict-torn Central African Republic. The one place she may not be visiting anytime soon is the United States.
- Damascus reserves right to retake occupied Golan Heights by any means: Official Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- A Syrian official says Damascus reserves the right to re-establish control over the Golan Heights, which the Israeli regime has been occupying for more than half a century, stating that a military option to regain the area could not be ruled out.
- Russia warns of 'catastrophe' at Syrian refugee camp in US-controlled region Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- Russia has raised alarm at the "catastrophic" humanitarian situation at a refugee camp, situated in a territory controlled by US-backed militants in northeastern Syria, saying the daily death toll has hit 20.
- UN Urges De-Escalation of Military Crisis in Syria's Idlib VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- A senior U.N. official is appealing to Russia and Turkey as guarantors of a de-escalation agreement in Syria's Idlib province to prevent a further intensification of fighting in this rebel-held enclave. The official briefed journalists in Geneva on a meeting of the International Syria Support Group's Humanitarian Access Task Force.
- Nigeria Evacuates Entire Town to Screen for Boko Haram Affiliates Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- The evacuation reportedly occurred on the threshold of a military operation in Jakana, in the province of Borno, but this was soon dismissed after local authorities noted that there was no operation in the making that they were aware of.
- Haftar's army downs Libyan govt. military plane Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- The so-called Libyan National Army (LNA), headed by renegade Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, has shot down a military aircraft operated by the UN-backed government of Libya en route from the city of Misrata, an official says.
- Key Libyan Oil Firm Warns of Possible Output Drop Amid Ongoing Fighting – Report Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- Previously, the Libyan National Army (LNA), which controls the country's east, issued a warning that terrorist groups were conspiring to conduct strikes on the so-called "Oil Crescent" – an oil-rich coastal area ranging from Tobruk to Es Sider in eastern Libya.
- UN Chief: Serious Political Dialogue In Libya Won't Restart Amid Hostilities Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- Serious political dialogue that should be resumed in Libya cannot be launched until the hostilities completely stop in the country, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a briefing.
- Turkey Condemns French, Italian Recognition Of Armenian Genocide RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- Turkey has strongly condemned separate moves by France and Italy to officially recognize the mass killings of Armenians at the beginning of the 20th century as genocide.
- Democrats Furious At Attorney General's 'Spying' Claim About Russia Probe RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- Democratic lawmakers have questioned U.S. Attorney General William Barr's independence from President Donald Trump, saying his support for Trump's remarks about "spying" during the 2016 presidential election campaign undermine his position.
- Statement of the Chairperson of the Commission on the Situation in Sudan African Union 11 Apr 2019 -- The Chairperson of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, is closely monitoring the ongoing developments in Sudan, in particular the announcement of the First Vice President and Minister of Defence Lt. General Awad Ibn Auf on the suspension of the Constitution, the dissolution of the National Assembly, the formation of a military-led transitional government which will rule for two years, and the arrest of President Omar Al Bashir, as well as the imposition of a state of emergency for three months.
- Sudan's Defence Minister Ahmed Ibn Auf Will Head Transition Council - Reports Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- Earlier on Thursday, Sudanese Defence Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf said that President Omar Bashir, 75, had been detained. The defense minister announced that a military council has been established that will rule the country for two years.
- Things to Know About Sudan's President Amid Reports of Attempted Military Coup Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- Thousands of Sudanese have been protesting against the government of President Omar al-Bashir in the capital Khartoum since December, prompting him to dissolve the cabinet and declare a year-long state of national emergency. Protests reached a climax on 11 April, with the army reportedly staging a coup.
- Sudanese Army Arrests President Bashir After Weeks of Anti-Gov't Protests Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- Thousands participated in protests in the country's capital over the weekend calling for the resignation of Sudan's longtime ruler, President Omar Bashir and urging the army to side with the people.
- Sudanese Army Arrests President Al-Bashir SPA 11 Apr 2019 -- Sudanese Defense Minister Awad bin Auf announced today, on Sudan government-run TV, the arrest of Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir, who is also Chairman of the ruling Sudanese National Congress Party (NCP), under custody in a safe place, declaring the start of a two-year transitional power period under a military council under his own leadership.
- Sudan Transition Underway US Dept. of State 11 Apr 2019 -- The United States is closely monitoring the situation unfolding in Khartoum. The recent demonstrations clearly articulated the will of the Sudanese people to end Omar al Bashir's rule.
- Sudan military says former president detained, held in 'secure place' Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- After nearly three decades in power, Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir has been removed from power and detained by the army, Defense Minister Awad Mohamed Ahmed Ibn Auf says.
- Sudan's Omar al-Bashir steps down: Minister Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- A Sudanese government source says President Omar al-Bashir has stepped down and that consultations are underway to form a transitional council.
- Sudan Defense Minister: Longtime Leader Detained, Army Seizes Power RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has been ousted and arrested following nearly four months of protests against his 30-year rule, the defense minister says.
- Sudan's Omar al-Bashir Ousted by Military VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- The longtime president of Sudan, Omar al-Bashir, was ousted by the military Thursday after four months of mounting demonstrations against his rule.
- Sudan Military's Post-Bashir Plan Gets Rocky Reception VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- A plan by Sudan's military to take over the country's government is getting a cold reception from protesters and the international community, who want to see the African nation take steps toward democracy.
- Castro: Cuba won't abandon Venezuela despite US blackmail Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- Cuban Communist Party leader Raul Castro says his country will never cease supporting its ally Venezuela under pressure by the United States, which has threatened Havana with more sanctions over its support of the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Venezuela slams US for urging UN to recognize Guaido as new president Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has denounced as "arrogant" US Vice President Mike Pence for calling on the UN Security Council to recognize opposition leader Juan Guaido as the new president of the Latin American state.
- Statement of Treasury Secretary Mnuchin Following Fifth Finance Ministers' Meeting on Venezuela US Treasury 11 Apr 2019 -- U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin issued the following statement following the fifth finance ministers' meeting on Venezuela:
- Russia's 'Sovereign Internet' Bill Moves Forward In State Duma RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- The lower chamber of Russia's parliament has passed in the second of three votes a controversial bill that would effectively disconnect the country's Internet from the global network.
- WikiLeaks' Founder Julian Assange Arrested in Ecuadorian Embassy in London Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- The arrest comes some 24 hours after WikiLeaks claimed that Assange had been subject to a sophisticated spying operation, with the obtained data presumably being transferred to US authorities.
- WikiLeaks Founder Charged in Computer Hacking Conspiracy US Dept. of Justice 11 Apr 2019 -- Julian P. Assange, 47, the founder of WikiLeaks, was arrested today in the United Kingdom pursuant to the U.S./UK Extradition Treaty, in connection with a federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified U.S. government computer.
- US files 'conspiracy' charges against WikiLeaks founder Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- United States officials have announced that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange had been charged with conspiracy to commit computer intrusion.
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested in UK, faces US charges Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- British police have arrested WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange inside the Ecuadorean embassy in London, where the Australian whistleblower had been living since 2012.
- Assange Appears In London Court After Arrest, U.S. Announces Charges RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadoran Embassy in London, where he had been holed up since 2012.
- Sir Alan Duncan statement on Julian Assange UK FCO 11 Apr 2019 -- A statement from Minister of State for Europe and the Americas, Sir Alan Duncan.
- UN experts warn Assange arrest exposes him to risk of serious human rights violations UN News 11 Apr 2019 -- Independent UN rights experts on Thursday said the arrest of Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange by police in the United Kingdom, after the Ecuadorian Government decided to stop granting him asylum in their London embassy, exposed him to "the risk of serious human rights violations", if extradited to the United States.
- US Charges WikiLeaks Founder Assange After London Arrest VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- The U.S. on Thursday unsealed charges against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in a computer hacking conspiracy linked to the release of hundreds of thousands of secret U.S. documents, just hours after British police dramatically arrested him at the Ecuadorian embassy in London where he had been holed up for nearly seven years.
- Assange: From Trump Cheers to US Criminal Charges VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- Less than a month before Donald Trump was elected as the U.S. president in 2016, he said, "WikiLeaks, I love WikiLeaks," as the anti-secrecy group released another cache of emails hacked by Russian operatives from the computers of Democratic officials that were damaging to Trump's opponent, Hillary Clinton.
- Moon, Trump Agree Top-Down Approach in Nuclear Diplomacy With N Korea - Seoul Sputnik 11 Apr 2019 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in and US President Donald Trump have agreed on a top-down approach in the nuclear diplomacy with North Korea, Reuters reported Thursday, citing a South Korean adviser.
- Kim: North Korea must deal blow to countries imposing sanctions Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says his country must deal a "serious blow" to those countries that seek to break Pyongyang with sanctions by reaching self-reliance.
- Trump: Third Summit With North Korea's Kim 'Could Happen' VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- Sitting alongside South Korea's president at the White House, U.S. President Donald Trump expressed willingness to hold another summit with North Korea's leader to try to reach a sweeping denuclearization deal.
- Xi encourages ethnic minority people to create better future Global Times 11 Apr 2019 -- President Xi Jinping has encouraged people of an ethnic minority group living in a remote area of southwest China to make concerted efforts to build a good homeland, guard the border, and create a better future.
- Lukashenka Lambasts Moscow For 'Sanctions,' Threatens To Suspend Russian Oil Flow To Europe RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka has lambasted Moscow for what he called "sanctions" against Belarusian goods and hinted he could block Russian oil deliveries to Europe.
- World's Largest Election Gets Underway in India VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- India began the mammoth task of choosing its next government as voters lined up at polling booths stretching from the violence-wracked region of Kashmir in the north to eastern and central states.
- Saudi Aramco Announces Pricing of $12 Billion Bond Issuance SPA 11 Apr 2019 -- Saudi Arabian Oil Company ("Saudi Aramco") today announced that it has priced an offering of $12 billion in its inaugural international bond issuance. The issuance is comprised of five tranches of senior unsecured notes under Saudi Aramco's Global Medium Term Note Program.
- Two Romanian Cybercriminals Convicted of All 21 Counts Relating to Infecting Over 400,000 Victim Computers with Malware and Stealing Millions of Dollars US Dept. of Justice 11 Apr 2019 -- s: the mark does not exist in the description file
- Treasury Sanctions Lebanese Money Launderer Kassem Chams Who Moves Money on Behalf of Narcotics Trafficking Organizations and Hizballah US Treasury 11 Apr 2019 -- A federal jury today convicted two Bucharest, Romania, residents of 21 counts related to their scheme to infect victim computers with malware in order to steal credit card and other information to sell on dark market websites, mine cryptocurrency and engage in online auction fraud, announced Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Department's Criminal Division and U.S. Attorney Justin E. Herdman of the Northern District of Ohio.
- UK PM May admits 'huge frustration' over Brexit delay Press TV 11 Apr 2019 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has defended her decision to delay Brexit, though admitting it has created a "huge frustration" among many people in the UK, as some members of her own party repeating their call for her to resign.
- PM statement at the European Council: 11 April 2019 UK FCO 11 Apr 2019 -- Prime Minister Theresa May's press statement at the EU Council.
- Brexit Delay Gives Britain Respite, Enrages May's Critics VOA 11 Apr 2019 -- Pro- and anti-Brexit supporters have vowed to step up their campaigns after European Union leaders gave Britain a six-month extension to the process of leaving the bloc.
- New Ukraine Poll Gives Zelenskiy Huge Lead Over Poroshenko Ahead Of Runoff RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- The first independent poll taken since the first round of Ukraine's presidential election suggests that political newcomer Volodymyr Zelenskiy enjoys a commanding lead ahead of next week's runoff against incumbent Petro Poroshenko.
- Ukraine's President Creates Anti-Corruption Court RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- Ukrainian President Pedro Poroshenko, who has been repeatedly accused of turning a blind eye to corruption, has ordered the creation of a special anti-corruption court.
- Armenian Court Keeps Ex-President Kocharian In Pretrial Detention RFE/RL 11 Apr 2019 -- YEREVAN -- An Armenian court has rejected an appeal by former President Robert Kocharian to end his pretrial detention.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|