24 March 2019 Military News
- Trump claims liberation of all IS-controlled territory in Syria, Iraq People's Daily 24 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Saturday the "liberation" of all territory controlled by the Islamic State (IS) in Syria and Iraq, while vowing to remain vigilant until "it is finally defeated."
- US airstrike kills 14 members of one family in Afghanistan Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- The United States has carried out airstrikes in Afghanistan's northern Kunduz province after a fatal insider attack, leaving at least 14 civilians dead, mostly women and children.
- Taliban Said to Have Killed 65 Afghan Forces VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Officials in Afghanistan said Sunday ongoing fierce clashes with Taliban insurgents in southern Helmand province have killed dozens of government forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD to Provide $6.5 Million in Humanitarian Assistance to Mozambique DoD 24 Mar 2019 -- The Department of Defense will assist U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to provide humanitarian assistance to Mozambique in response to the destruction caused by Cyclone Idai.
- Wary of Iran's missiles, US strikes port deal with Oman Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- The United States has struck a strategic port deal with Oman in an attempt to get better access to the Persian Gulf region and avoid sending ships through the Strait of Hormuz, a maritime choke point that Iran could easily block using its advanced missile arsenal.
- NATO Confirms Plans For $260 Million U.S. Storage Site In Poland RFE/RL 24 Mar 2019 -- NATO has confirmed that it plans to establish a storage facility in Poland for U.S. military equipment, including armored vehicles, ammunition, and weapons to arm a full brigade.
- RAF aircraft to fly vital UK aid relief to Mozambique UK MOD 24 Mar 2019 -- An A400M Atlas aircraft will deliver up to 20 tonnes of UK aid supplies to those affected by the devastating cyclone.
- Pakistan Sees Nuclear Weapons as Deterrence Method, Rules Out Any Use - Army Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- Pakistan is ruling out the possibility of using its nuclear weapons and sees them as more of deterrence tool to prevent actual wars, spokesman for the Pakistani Army Maj. Gen. Asif Ghafoor told Sputnik in an interview.
- Pakistan Deploys Chinese-Made Air Defences Near India's Border – Report Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- On Saturday, Pakistani President Arif Alvi chastised India for having what he described as an "irresponsible" attitude amid ongoing bilateral tensions, which escalated after an Indian Air Force raid on an alleged terrorist camp in Pakistan last month
- Remarks by President Trump Before Air Force One Departure The White House 24 Mar 2019
- UK's secret war: British commandos wounded in Yemen Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- A number of elite British commandos have sustained injuries in direct gunfights with Yemeni forces as part of what appears to be a secretive UK military campaign in Yemen, a new report says, adding a major twist to London's involvement in Saudi Arabia's deadly war against its impoverished southern neighbor.
- Five British Commandos Injured in Secret Operations in Northern Yemen – Reports Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- London was not previously thought to be directly involved in fighting in Yemen against the Houthi militia, even though it was known to have supplied arms and training support to Saudi Arabia for many decades.
- Yemen takes control of some military positions in Asir IRNA 24 Mar 2019 -- The Yemeni forces took control of some military positions belonging to Saudi mercenaries in Asir, southern Saudi Arabia and inflicted heavy damages on them.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Hits Houthi Sites in Yemen's Capital – Reports Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- The Saudi-led Arab coalition on Saturday attacked Houthi positions in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa, media reported.
- Syrian Army kills 10 terrorists in NW Syria IRNA 24 Mar 2019 -- The Syrian Arab Army on Sunday continued its military operations against terrorist groups in southern Idleb and northern Hama in response to their repeated violations of de-escalation zone agreement, inflicting losses upon them in personnel and equipment.
- Displaced Syrians Deny Claims that US Detains Them in Al-Tanf Camp VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Internally displaced people at Rukban refugee camp in southeastern Syria are rejecting a claim by Russia and the Syrian regime that they are being used as human shields by the U.S. troops near al-Tanf military base.
- Fight Against IS: The Price of Victory VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- In October 2016, Umm Aysha and her three children huddled on the ground outside a bombed-out shopping plaza with a crowd of other women, all wearing the black veils required by Islamic State militants.
- Suspected Daesh bomb attack hits northern Iraq, terrorists dead: Army Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's army says three suspected Daesh Takfiri terrorists have died after blowing themselves up in northern Iraq but there were no casualties among government forces.
- Trump to recognize Israel's sovereignty over Golan on Monday: Israeli FM Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- US President Donald Trump will sign an order recognizing the Israeli regime's sovereignty over the occupied Golan Heights, Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz says.
- Romania Says It Will Move Its Embassy To Jerusalem RFE/RL 24 Mar 2019 -- Romanian Prime Minister Viorica Dancila has announced that Bucharest will move its embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.e
- Israel Strikes Hamas Posts in Gaza in Response to Border Explosions - IDF Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- Israel Defence Forces attacked two military posts of the Palestinian movement Hamas with drones on Sunday in the Gaza Strip in response to riots along the border of the seaside Palestinian enclave.
- Mali Ethnic Genocide Sees Over 130 Muslims Killed in Ongoing Extremist Violence Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- More than 130 people were killed and dozens wounded Saturday in a Fulani village in Mali's Ogossagou-Peulh, according to the United Nations.
- Indian Soldier Killed in Pakistan Firing in Jammu and Kashmir - Reports Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- The cross-border firing commenced in the Shahpur and Kerni areas of Poonch on Saturday and endured through the night, the Times of India reported citing authorities.
- Indian Forces Shoot Down Pakistani Drone – Reports Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- The Indian Air Force, army and paramilitary troops have remained on high alert after Indian intelligence warned about a possible deployment of armed drones along the Indian border earlier this week.
- Mueller Says No Collusion by Trump or His Campaign, AG Barr Concludes VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Special counsel Robert Mueller says neither President Donald Trump, his campaign, nor anyone associated with it conspired with Russia to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, according to a summary by Attorney General William Barr released Sunday.
- AG Summary: Mueller Report Finds No Collusion, But Does Not Exonerate Trump VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation found no evidence President Donald Trump, his campaign or associates conspired or coordinated with Russia to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, according to a summary released Sunday by Attorney General William Barr.
- Trump Claims 'Exoneration' -- Barr Says No 'Conspiracy' Found In Russia Probe RFE/RL 24 Mar 2019 -- U.S. Attorney General William Barr has told the country that Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on his investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 U.S. presidential election states that the probe "did not establish that members" of President Donald Trump's campaign "conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in its election interference activities."?
- Mueller Says Report Doesn't Conclude Trump Committed Crime - Nadler Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- Chair of House of Representatives' Judiciary Committee Jerrold Nadler said that the US Justice Department sent to the Congress "a very brief letter" about the Mueller report.
- Trump Impeachment Still an Option, US Lawmaker Says Amid Mueller Report Debate Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- According to Adam Schiff, Mueller's report needs to be released to the public as soon as possible in its entirety, as presenting people with only "a summary of his conclusions simply won't cut it".
- Trump's Legal Trouble Can Go Beyond Mueller Report Release - Reports Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- The legal woes of US President Donald Trump and his inner circle go far beyond the soon-to-be-released Mueller report, according to sources.
- Over $30 Bln Stolen From Venezuela 'at Trump's Request' - Cabinet Minister Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- The statement comes a few days after Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro accused the US government of stealing $5 billion from the South American country – money that Maduro said has been earmarked for the manufacture of medicines.
- Venezuela's Maduro Announces Capture of Colombian Paramilitary Chief Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has announced the capture of a Colombian paramilitary chief with alleged links to Juan Guaido, a self-proclaimed interim president backed by Colombia.
- Thai Military-Backed Party in Lead in Thai Elections VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Thais voted Sunday in an election called a return to democratic rule, but which has been widely criticized as an exercise designed by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to entrench his military's stranglehold on power.
- Thais Voting in First Election Since 2014 Coup VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Thai voters are going to the polls Sunday for the first time in nearly five years.
- China completes testing on self-developed CF3 nuclear fuel assembly Global Times 24 Mar 2019 -- The CF3 nuclear fuel assembly, developed by a Chinese enterprise for the use of heat supplies, marks significant technological progress in the sector, industry analysts told the Global Times.
- China, Italy sign BRI MoU to advance connectivity People's Daily 24 Mar 2019 -- China and Italy signed here Saturday a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to jointly advance the construction of the Belt and Road during Chinese President Xi Jinping's state visit to the country.
- Italy endorses China's new Silk Road plan despite US warnings Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- Italy has joined China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), an international infrastructure plan, dismissing calls from the United States to shun the project.
- Cambodia defends Chinese investment at expressway groundbreaking ceremony Global Times 24 Mar 2019 -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen refuted accusations that China's increasing investment in the country is "colonizing" it when he addressed the groundbreaking ceremony of a $2 billion Chinese-funded expressway on Friday.e
- Feature: Chinese-built infrastructure projects reshaping Kenya's transformation agenda People's Daily 24 Mar 2019 -- Modern infrastructure projects like roads, ports and railways that are either financed or built by China have injected vitality into the country's transformation agenda, senior officials and experts said.
- Tsai, DPP slam Kaohsiung mayor over meeting with China official CNA 24 Mar 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and her ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on Saturday slammed Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) for his meeting with Beijing's top official in Hong Kong, warning it could be used by China to promote its "one country, two systems" formula for unification with Taiwan.
- Israel's PM to Meet Trump 3 Weeks Before Election VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is to meet with U.S. President Donald Trump this week in Washington. The meeting comes as Netanyahu's Likud party is lagging in opinion polls ahead of elections next month.
- Looking for Election Boost, Israel's Netanyahu in US to Meet with Trump VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived in Washington looking for an electoral advantage from U.S. President Donald Trump's expected formal recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the disputed Golan Heights.
- Kazakh Ex-Prime Minister Appointed Interim President's Top Aide RFE/RL 24 Mar 2019 -- Interim Kazakh President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev has appointed a recently dismissed prime minister to head his administration.
- Theresa May's allies rush to her support amid ouster plot reports Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- Members of British Prime Minister Theresa May's cabinet are rushing to her defense following reports by several outlets that a group of minister have drawn up plans to topple her for chaotic handling of the country's exit from the European Union (EU).
- UK PM ministers planning to topple her in days over Brexit chaos: Report Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- A number of UK Prime Minister Theresa May's top ministers are reportedly set to topple her within the next few days due to her inability to get parliamentary support for a Brexit agreement with the European Union (EU) weeks before the deadline to leave the bloc.
- May Calls Emergency Closed-Door Brexit Meeting in UK Country House - Source Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May is holding an emergency meeting at her Chequers country residence to discuss the Brexit crisis, a source close to the situation told Sputnik.
- Eleven UK Cabinet Minsters Plan to Confront May, Demand She Step Down - Report Sputnik 24 Mar 2019 -- Several cabinet ministers are reportedly planning to confront UK Prime Minister May on Monday and seek her resignation.
- US is mad because Hezbollah resists against its plots for region, Iran says Press TV 24 Mar 2019 -- Iran has rejected as "provocative, meddlesome, and undiplomatic" the latest remarks made by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo against the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah.
- Serbs Resume Protests Week After Invasion Of State TV Building RFE/RL 24 Mar 2019 -- Thousands of Serbs took to the streets of Belgrade a week after demonstrators invaded and briefly occupied the state television building in protest against what they say is President Aleksandar Vucic's autocratic rule and biased media coverage of their demonstrations.
- Nearly Half of Cyclone Idai's Victims Are Children VOA 24 Mar 2019 -- The U.N. children's fund reports nearly half of the 1.7 million people affected by Cyclone Idai in southern Africa are children. The official number of deaths across the region has now risen to over 700. But this figure is expected to increase once the waters have receded and the bodies of those who have drowned and gone missing are found.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|