23 March 2019 Military News
- Statement From the Acting Secretary of Defense on Territory Once Held by ISIS DoD 23 Mar 2019
- Daesh territorial defeat 'historic milestone': British PM Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has said the fall of the last bastion held by Daesh terrorists in Syria marked "a historic milestone" as she paid tribute to British forces and coalition partners.
- Foreign Secretary statement on the fall of Daesh UK FCO 23 Mar 2019 -- A statement from Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt to announce that the final Daesh territory has now been liberated.
- Afghan MP assassinated in Kandahar IRNA 23 Mar 2019 -- Commander of Kandahar police announced that a member of Afghanistan House of the People was assassinated by unknown assailants.
- Blast kills 3, injures 31 in southern Afghanistan IRNA 23 Mar 2019 -- Deputy Spokesman of Afghanistan Interior Ministry announced that the explosion in a ceremony in Helmand, southern Afghanistan has claimed the lives of 3 and injured 31 more.
- U.S. Exchanges Views On Afghanistan With Russia, China, EU RFE/RL 23 Mar 2019 -- U.S. officials have "exchanged views" with representatives of Russia and China on the current status of the Afghan peace process, the State Department says.
- Taliban Claim Deadly Blasts At Stadium In Southern Afghanistan RFE/RL 23 Mar 2019 -- Four people, including a provincial official, have been killed and dozens more wounded in a twin bombing claimed by the Taliban in southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary of the Air Force: We will rebuild Offutt AFB US Air Force 23 Mar 2019 -- Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson met with Offutt Air Force Base leadership and elected officials March 22 to discuss rebuilding efforts for the base following recent flooding.
- Russia says to respond to possible U.S. anti-missile tests People's Daily 23 Mar 2019 -- Russia will take necessary measures if the United States implements its plans to conduct anti-missile tests, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Friday.
- Alleged Footage of Brand New Russian Gunship Operating in Syria Surfaces Online Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- Earlier, it was reported that a prototype Mi-28NM was deployed to the Hmeymim Airbase in Syria's Latakia province to conduct field testing in high temperature and desert conditions, and to test out a new mobile radar complex.
- Russian Su-27 Escorted US B-52 Bombers Over Baltic Sea Twice Over 24 Hours: MoD Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- The US Air Force has conducted 7 flights over the Baltic Sea within 10 days, the Russian Defence Ministry said in a statement.
- China opposes U.S. military officers' remarks on so-called "China threat" People's Daily 23 Mar 2019 -- A spokesperson for the Chinese military said Friday it firmly opposes U.S. military officers' remarks hyping up the so-called "China threat" at the Senate armed services committee's 2020 fiscal year defense budget hearing.
- Saudi jets raid Yemeni capital after drone shot down Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- Saudi warplanes have carried out a string of airstrikes against targets in the Yemeni capital city of Sana'a as relentless aggression against the impoverished Arab country continues.
- US-backed Forces Declare Death of IS 'Caliphate' VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- For consecutive nights, bombs rained down on the last scraps of Islamic State-held territory, lighting up the night sky over the northeastern Syrian town of Baghuz.
- Syrian Kurds announce death of Daesh 'caliphate' Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- Syrian Kurds have pronounced the death of Daesh's nearly five-year-old "caliphate" after flushing out diehard terrorists from their very last bastion in eastern Syria.
- Islamic State Driven From Last Village In Syria RFE/RL 23 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has hailed the recapture of the last Islamic State-held territory in Syria, but said the United States would remain vigilant until the extremist group "is finally defeated wherever it operates."
- Syrian state media says militants shell village with gas, injuring 21 Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- Syrian state media on Saturday cited a hospital in government-held Hama as saying 21 people suffered choking symptoms from poison gas after militants shelled a village.
- Syria Militant Attack Leaves 21 Hospitalized With Poisoning Symptoms - Reports Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- Following shelling by militants in the Syrian province of Hama, 21 people have been delivered to the Al-Suqaylabiyah hospital with gas poisoning symptoms,Syrian TV reported.
- Thousands of IS Escapees in Dire Straights at Syrian Camp VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- The United Nations reports thousands of people, mainly women and children, are continuing to flee to al-Hol Camp from Baghuz amid reports that U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have seized control of Islamic State's last stronghold in eastern Syria.
- Syrian Envoy Urges UN to Condemn Trump's Statement on Golan Heights Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- The UN Security Council should condemn US President Donald Trump's statement calling for the recognition of Israel's sovereignty over the Golan Heights, Syrian Ambassador to the United Nations Bashar Jaafari said in a statement on Friday.
- Golan, Syrian land occupied by Israel: PGCC IRNA 23 Mar 2019 -- The Persian Gulf Cooperation Council (PGCC) expressed regret on Friday at US President Donald Trump's call to recognize Israel's sovereignty over the Golan Heights, territory captured from Syria in a 1967 war.
- Al-Shabab attacks Somali government building in Mogadishu Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- At least 15 people, including an assistant minister, have been killed after al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militants stormed a government building and detonated a suicide car bomb in Somalia's capital, Mogadishu.
- Al-Shabab Attack in Somali Capital Kills at Least 10 VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- Militants stormed Somali government offices in Mogadishu on Saturday after setting off a car bomb, and officials said at least 10 people were killed, including a deputy minister. Authorities of Mogadishu's only free ambulance service said they had collected nearly 10 other wounded civilians.
- India, Pakistan Were on Edge of War After Kashmir Dogfight – Report Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- The report comes as Pakistani President Arif Alvi underscored during a military parade in Islamabad on Saturday that "India should accept facts and not make the mistake to view it in a pre-partition light" – something that Alvi warned may be "very dangerous for the region's stability".
- UN condemns 'unspeakable' attack that leaves scores dead in central Mali UN News 23 Mar 2019 -- The United Nations has strongly condemned the armed attack on a village in restive central Mali which reportedly left at least 134 people dead and dozens wounded early on Saturday.
- UN chief welcomes establishment of inclusive government in Central African Republic UN News 23 Mar 2019 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has welcomed the establishment in the Central African Republic (CAR) of a government in line with an early February peace deal struck with more than a dozen armed groups active in the country.
- Spinoff Trump Cases Will Continue Long After Mueller Report VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- The nearly 2-year-old probe into potential ties between Donald Trump's presidential campaign and Russian election interference has come to an end.
- Lawmakers Call for Release of Full Mueller Report VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's completion of a long-awaited report on his investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 presidential election and any potential wrongdoing by President Donald Trump is drawing calls from lawmakers for the report's release.
- US Special Counsel Robert Mueller submits report on Trump-Russia probe Press TV 23 Mar 2019 -- US Special Counsel Robert Mueller has closed his two-year investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential election and any potential wrongdoing by US President Donald Trump.
- U.S. Awaits Details Of Mueller Russia Probe Report RFE/RL 23 Mar 2019 -- The U.S. Congress, President Donald Trump, and the American public are waiting for details of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russia's role in the 2016 U.S. election that was submitted to the Justice Department on March 22.
- Special Counsel's Russia Probe Report Delivered to US Justice Department Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- The US Department of Justice confirmed on Friday that special counsel Robert Mueller has closed his investigation into allegations of collusion between US President Donald Trump's campaign team and Russia, and that his report has been delivered to US Attorney General William Barr for review.
- Mueller Report Draws No Immediate Reaction From Moscow VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- It was late Saturday evening in Moscow and almost 24 hours since the news that special counsel Robert Mueller submitted his long-awaited report to the U.S. attorney general had reached Russia's capital. But both the Kremlin and the country's Foreign Ministry were quiet.
- Cyclone Idai: UNICEF warns of 'race against time' to protect children, prevent spread of disease in flood-ravaged Mozambique UN News 23 Mar 2019 -- A week after the flooded Mozambican port of Beira was hit by Cyclone Idai, "aid agencies are barely beginning to see the scale of the damage", the head of UNICEF said on Saturday, as she called for more international support to help quickly get relief to more than a million people across the country and prevent the possible spread of waterborne diseases like cholera.
- Cyclone Death Toll Rises in Africa VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- The death toll in Mozambique from Cyclone Idai exceeded 400 Saturday as aid and rescue efforts continued a week after the storm devastated parts of southern Africa, a government official said.
- China Finances Sri Lanka's Expressway with Largest Ever Single Loan of $989 Mln Sputnik 23 Mar 2019 -- Sri Lanka has accepted another huge loan of $989 million from China's EXIM Bank for the Central Expressway project which will connect the country's more rural areas with its economically developed provinces.
- Chinese, Italian presidents agree to promote greater development of ties Global Times 22 Mar 2019-- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Italian counterpart, Sergio Mattarella, held talks here Friday, and agreed to jointly push for greater development of the China-Italy comprehensive strategic partnership in the new era.
- Italy's plan to join the Belt and Road Initiative a pragmatic path to boosting its economy People's Daily 23 Mar 2019 -- Italy is set to be the first G7 country to join the China-proposed Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) by signing on to the initiative with China, a development that is expected to meet the respective needs of both sides.
- China's New Silk Road May Hurt Italian Workers, Analysts Say VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte signed up his country Saturday to China's Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), an ambitious trillion-dollar transcontinental trade and infrastructure project. The memorandum signing in Rome was the centerpiece of Chinese President Xi Jinping's three-stop visit to Europe and it will make Italy the first G-7 nation to participate in China's so-called New Silk Road.
- Sino-European joint space mission to send satellites in 2023 People's Daily 23 Mar 2019 -- The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) announced that a Sino-European joint space mission known as SMILE was launched Friday.
- It's Official: Kazakh Capital Now Called Nur-Sultan RFE/RL 23 Mar 2019 -- Interim Kazakh President Qasym-Zhomart Toqaev has signed a decree to rename the capital Astana after former President Nursultan Nazarbaev, who stepped down abruptly earlier in the week.
- Political Rock Stars Turn Up Heat Ahead of Thai Elections VOA 23 Mar 2019 -- From an upstart entrepreneur to a transgender person hoping to find a political voice for the LGBT community, this Sunday's Thai election is proving inclusive even if the chances of victory among the smaller parties remain slim.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|