10 March 2019 Military News
- US, France, UK in talks to prolong Syria presence: Bolton Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton says he has discussed a long-term military presence in Syria with his British and French counterparts, despite an order by President Donald Trump to evacuate American troops from the Arab country.
- Afghan Forces Kill Over 60 Taliban Militants Over Past 24 Hours - Reports Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Over 60 militants of the Taliban radical movement in Afghanistan were killed as a result of special operations and airstrikes performed by US-supported Afghan forces across the country over the past 24 hours, local media reported, citing military sources.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Ship Test Weapon That Renders Enemy Targeting Systems Useless Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- The weapon system, developed by the Russian company Rostec, was recently spotted on the Russian frigate Admiral Gorshkov by British media as it approached a Royal Air Force base. The Times described the weapon as being able to make opposing soldiers vomit, but its effective range is much greater.
- Saudi tanker agrees to pay full damages to Taiwan Navy CNA 10 Mar 2019 -- A foreign oil and chemical tanker that accidentally collided with Taiwan navy vessel Ning Yang (FF-938) on March 9, signed a document promising to pay full compensation for damages caused, a source familiar with the matter said Sunday.
- India Asks US to Probe Pak's Alleged Breach of F-16 Deal Amid Escalated Tensions Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Pakistan has consistenly rejected accusations by New Delhi that it had violated an F-16 sale agreement with the United States, having allegedly deployed US-made fighter jets to shoot down an Indian warplane last month.
- Erdogan says US angered by Turkey's independence Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the United States is pressuring Turkey to cancel an arms agreement with Russia because Washington is angered by Ankara's independence.
- 40-ton class heavy helicopter jointly developed by China, Russia to be delivered by 2032 Global Times 10 Mar 2019 -- The 40-ton class heavy helicopter, jointly developed by China and Russia, is expected to be delivered by 2032, said Wu Ximing, a Chinese political advisor and chief designer of helicopters for the Aviation Industry Corporation of China.
- Yemen bombards Saudi aggressors' positions in Asir IRNA 10 Mar 2019 -- The Yemeni army and the popular committee missile and artillery units targeted Saudi aggressors' positions in Asir, southwestern Saudi Arabia with two missiles.
- 20 women, one child killed in fresh Saudi airstrikes in Yemen Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Nearly two dozen women and a child have been killed in the latest round of Saudi airstrikes in Yemen as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its atrocious campaign against the impoverished southern neighbor.
- Syria now facing economic war through sanctions: Assad Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- As the Syrian government emerges victorious from eight years of a battle against foreign-sponsored militancy, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his country now also faces an economic war.
- US-Backed Forces Launch Final Assault to Wipe Out IS Enclave VOA 10 Mar 2019 -- Clashes and fierce fighting are being reported in northeastern Syria, where U.S.-backed forces say their final assault on the Islamic State terror group enclave of Baghuz is underway.
- Morocco's Repatriation of Foreign Terrorist Fighters From Syria US Dept. of State 10 Mar 2019
- Israeli fighter jets bombard northern Gaza IRNA 10 Mar 2019 -- The Israeli warplanes have bombarded Gaza Strip on Sunday, the Palestinian media 'Safa' reported.
- Resistance responds to Israel's attacks on Gaza Strip IRNA 10 Mar 2019 -- The Palestinian Resistance movement has fired two missiles from Gaza Strip to Israeli settlements.
- Palestinian Authority cuts back wages to civil servants over cash crunch Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- The Palestinian Authority is scaling back the monthly payroll of the Palestinian civil servants, as a result of a cash crunch exacerbated by the Israeli regime's recent decision to cut about five percent of the tax handovers to the West Bank-based administration over its financial support for jailed resistance fighters.
- Palestine's Abbas appoints close ally as new prime minister Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has appointed longtime ally Mohammad Shtayeh as prime minister and asked him to form a new Palestinian government, in a sign of potentially renewed discord between the Palestinian leader's party and the rival Palestinian resistance movement of Hamas.
- Israel launches fresh airstrikes on Gaza Strip Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- The Israeli regime has launched a series of new airstrikes on the Gaza Strip a night after it targeted civilian infrastructure in the besieged enclave.
- 'Do Not Test Us': Netanyahu Warns Hamas Mulling Major Gaza Operation – Report Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Clashes on the border of Gaza with Israel have been going on since spring 2018 with the Israeli government accusing Hamas and other organisations of planning attacks on the Jewish state and of sending inflammable balloons over the border.
- IDF Says Israeli Air Force Strikes Hamas Base in Response to Missile Launch Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- The Israeli Air Force conducted a strike against a base and two ships of the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip in response to a Saturday missile attack, the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said Sunday in a statement.
- India says downed drone, struck Pakistan thrice in 5 years Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- India says it has shot down a third Pakistani drone since border tensions escalated last month and carried out three cross-border strikes in the last five years.
- Pakistan's 'Nuclear Bluff Exposed', Indian Minister Warns Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- The statement comes weeks after India accused Pakistan of harbouring terrorists and having a "direct hand" in the deadly suicide bomb attack on the Indian paramilitary police force in Kashmir in mid-February. Islamabad, for its part, has vehemently denied the allegations and arrested over 40 terrorists earlier this week.
- OSCE: 'Reducing Tensions' Key Ahead Of Karabakh Summit RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- International mediators seeking to broker a peaceful solution to the protracted conflict over Azerbaijan's breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region have urged the Armenian and Azerbaijani leaders to refrain from statements and actions "suggesting significant changes to the situation on the ground" ahead of their summit talks expected soon.
- Washington Boosts Focus on Venezuela VOA 10 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's national security adviser on Sunday weighed in on Venezuela's raging power struggle between embattled ruler Nicholas Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaido, who is recognized by much of the international community as interim president.
- Venezuela's Maduro thanks military for overcoming 'coup' Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has thanked the country's military, saying it has defeated a "coup" led by the US administration and opposition leader Juan Guaido.
- Venezuela's Guaido spurs supporters on at massive opposition rally Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Hours after Venezuelan opposition activists scuffled with police and troops on Saturday morning, opposition leader Juan Guaido stood on the roof of a vehicle in Caracas and addressed supporters with a bullhorn, telling them they would organize continued, massive protests despite efforts by authorities to prevent organizers from setting up a stage earlier in the day.
- US Wants India to Stop Oil Trade With Venezuela - Special Envoy Abrams Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Previously, Bloomberg suggested that Caracas shipped 620,000 barrels a day to India in the first half of February, which is 66% more than the average daily shipments a month earlier
- Venezuelan Gov't Making Efforts to Restore Electricity Within Few Hours - Maduro Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Venezuelan authorities are making every effort so that the national electricity supply system can be restored within a few hours, the country's president, Nicolas Maduro, said on Sunday.
- Maduro Says One of Venezuelan Energy Facilities Suffered Cyberattack on Saturday Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said that a cyber attack was carried out against one of the country's energy facilities on Saturday, which did not allow the authorities to restore the electricity supply interrupted earlier in the week.
- Russians Rally For Internet Freedom RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- Thousands of activists have held protest actions across Russia against a new bill that its critics say is part of an effort by President Vladimir Putin's government to increase state control over the Internet and facilitate censorship.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Takes Part in Election of Deputies to SPA KCNA 10 Mar 2019 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, took part in the election of deputies to the 14th Supreme People's Assembly at Sub-constituency No. 40 of Constituency No. 10 on Sunday.
- Report of Central Election Committee KCNA 10 Mar 2019 -- The election of deputies to the 14th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK is going on under the Law on the Elections of Deputies to the People's Assemblies at All Level.
- Senior Party and Government Officials Go to Polls KCNA 10 Mar 2019 -- Senior Party and government officials went to sub-constituencies across the country on Sunday to take part in the election of deputies to the 14th Supreme People's Assembly together with voters.
- North Koreans vote in elections after collapse of talks with US Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- North Koreans are taking part in parliamentary elections in their millions to choose 700 members for the Supreme People's Assembly, the most powerful body in the country.
- North Koreans Go To Polls: Turnout Will Be 100 Percent, Results Unanimous RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- North Koreans are going to the polls -- and turnout of near 100 percent is assured, along with a 100 percent result for the ruling Workers' Party, since it is the only choice available.
- US Intel May Be Behind Attack on North Korean Embassy in Spain - Reports Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- US intelligence agencies may have been behind the February attack on the North Korean Embassy in Madrid, during which a group of unidentified people broke into the mission, blocked the diplomats and seized computers, El Confidencial reported on Sunday, citing sources.
- US: 'No Illusions' about Possible N. Korean Missile Activity VOA 10 Mar 2019 -- The White House said Sunday it does not "have any illusions" about whether North Korea is preparing to resume missile testing, but refused to assess commercial satellite imagery suggesting Pyongyang is assembling a new rocket.
- Unlike Saudi Arabia, Iran seeks no tension with any country: FM Zarif Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says unlike Riyadh, Tehran does not seek tension with any country in the region, including Saudi Arabia.
- Iraq will not be part of US sanctions regime against Iran: President Salih Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Iraq's President Barham Salih says his country will not be part of a regime of unilateral sanctions imposed by the United States against Iran and will do its best to reduce the damage done to the Iranian nation as a result of the bans.
- Iran will be opening new chapter with Iraq: Zarif Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says an upcoming visit by President Hassan Rouhani to Iraq – the president's first – will be the beginning of a new chapter in Tehran-Baghdad relations.
- Chinese leaders stress reform, legislation, poverty relief People's Daily 10 Mar 2019 -- Senior Chinese leaders on Saturday stressed reform, legislation and poverty alleviation at the annual legislative session.
- US warns Italy against joining China's new Silk Road project Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- The United States has warned Italy against supporting China's global economic effort, called the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), denouncing the infrastructure plan as a "vanity project."
- China launches new communication satellite People's Daily 10 Mar 2019 -- China Sunday sent a new communication satellite into orbit from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province.
- China developing key technologies on heavy-lift rocket People's Daily 10 Mar 2019 -- China has made significant progress in the development of the key technologies of the heavy-lift carrier rocket, the Long March-9, which is expected to make its maiden flight around 2030.
- India Announces Poll Schedule, 900 Million to Vote in the 7-Phased Election Sputnik 10 Mar 2019 -- For the first time, citizens in India will record instances of poll code violations on their smartphones and send the same to poll officials via the Election Commission Android application. The commission emphasized that action on the complaint must be taken in 100 minutes.
- India's Mammoth General Election Kicks Off April 11 VOA 10 Mar 2019 -- India's general elections will be held over five weeks weeks starting April 11 and decide if Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who won a sweeping victory five years ago, is able to secure a second term in office.
- Ukraine: Nationalists clash with police at Kiev corruption protest Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Supporters of the Ukrainian far-right party National Corps held a protest in Kiev on Saturday, decrying government corruption and calling for the removal of the country's president Petro Poroshenko.
- Ukraine Police: Twenty Officers Hospitalized After Clashes With Far-Right Activists RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- Police in Ukraine say that 22 officers were injured in clashes with far-right protesters who tried to attack a presidential motorcade ahead of this month's election.
- Bouteflika Returns to Algeria Amid Protests VOA 10 Mar 2019 -- Algerian president Abdelaziz Bouteflika landed in Algeria Sunday amid protests against his bid for a fifth term as president.
- Protests continue in Algerian cities, strikes staged in capital Press TV 10 Mar 2019 -- Thousands of students have taken to the streets in the major cities of Algeria to protest against President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's bid for a fifth term in office, more than two weeks since anti-government rallies began in the North African country.
- U.S. Envoy Urges Kosovo To Lift 100 Percent Tariff On Serbian Goods RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- A senior U.S. official has urged Kosovo's leaders to rescind or delay a 100 percent tariff on Serbian goods to allow normalization talks between the two Balkan neighbors to resume.
- A New Wave Of Young Bosnian Politicians Is Trying To Turn The Country Around RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- Omer Berbic has never been one to follow the trend. So it came as no surprise that once he finished his studies in Brussels, he returned home, unlike the thousands of young Bosnians clamoring to get out of one of Europe's poorest countries in search of opportunity.
- 'A new chapter' dawns for democracy in Guinea-Bissau: top UN official UN News 10 Mar 2019 -- The UN's Deputy Special Representative in the West African state of Guinea-Bissau, has congratulated politicians, voters and officials across the country for the peaceful conduct of Sunday's national assembly elections.
- Moldova's Constitutional Court Confirms February 24 Vote Result RFE/RL 10 Mar 2019 -- Moldova's Constitutional Court has confirmed the outcome of the country's February 24 parliamentary elections, rejecting an appeal by some opposition parties to invalidate the results in several constituencies.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|