09 March 2019 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump wants allies hosting US troops to cover full cost, plus some extra: Report Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump is drawing plans to require allies with American troops stationed in their countries to pay for the deployment in an effort to bring down military costs.
- Trump Administration Draft Budget Boosts Military Spending, Cuts Social Programs RFE/RL 09 Mar 2019 -- The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has drafted a 2020 federal budget that seeks $750 billion for military spending, while cutting non-defense spending by 5 percent across the board.
- Washington May Demand Countries Hosting U.S. Troops Pay Full Costs, Plus Premium RFE/RL 09 Mar 2019 -- The U.S. administration is considering a plan to demand that countries hosting American troops pay the full cost of their deployment -- plus a premium for the privilege of having them there, U.S. media outlets report.
- US, Japan, Australia Forces Practice Air Combat in Western Pacific COPE Drill Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Air forces from the United States, Japan and Australia concluded the annual COPE North exercise with an air combat demonstration of an allied response to plane downed by a hostile power, the US Indo-Pacific Command announced in a press release.
- PRNG mobilized to assist Culebra and Vieques Islands Army News 09 Mar 2019 -- Governor Ricardo Rossello mobilized the Puerto Rico National Guard in support of the Maritime Transportation Authority to bring much-needed supplies to the Island municipalities of Vieques and Culebra.
- China to deploy 4 AG600 large amphibious aircraft in test flight People's Daily 09 Mar 2019 -- Four AG600 large amphibious airplanes will conduct flight tests to facilitate its certification schedule, said its developer the Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) Friday.
- Turkey to Face 'Grave Consequences' for Acquisition of Russian S-400 - Pentagon Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Turkey's military relationship with the United States will face serious consequences if Ankara takes possession of the Russian S-400 air defence system, Defence Department spokesperson Charlie Summers told reporters on Friday.
- North Korea likely plans missile or space launch: Report Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- The people of North Korea blame the US for the collapse of the recent summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Hanoi, state media say.
- U.S. Broadcaster Reports Evidence North Korea Preparing Rocket Launch RFE/RL 09 Mar 2019 -- North Korea may be preparing to launch a missile or space rocket, U.S. National Public Radio (NPR) reported.
- Satellite Images Suggest Activity at N Korean Rocket Facility – Reports Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Commercial satellite images of North Korea's rocket facility in Sanumdong suggest that Pyongyang may be preparing to launch a missile or space rocket in a short time, the US-based NPR radio station reported, publishing one of the pictures.
- Report: N. Korea May Be Preparing Missile or Space Launch VOA 09 Mar 2019 -- There are indications North Korea may be preparing for a missile or space launch, National Public Radio is reporting. The U.S. news outlet said an analysis of satellite images of the Sanumdong facility near Pyongyang reveal the presence of trucks, cars, rail cars and cranes.
- Iraq rejects foreign forces deployment, military bases on its territory: Shia cleric Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Iraqi Shia cleric and the leader of the National Wisdom Movement says his fellow countrymen and women reject both a permanent foreign military base on Iraq's territory and the deployment of foreign combat forces to the Arab country.
- Navy to seek compensation from foreign tanker after port mishap CNA 09 Mar 2019 -- Taiwan's Navy Command said Saturday it will seek compensation from a foreign-registered tanker that collided with one of its ships docked in the port of Keelung early Saturday morning.
- Khartoum says Turkish naval ship at Port Sudan to boost 'security' Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- A Turkish military ship has been moored near Port Sudan for a three-day stay in the African country purportedly aimed at boosting "security and safety" in the Red Sea region, as Sudan has been the scene of months of protests against President Omar al-Bashir's 30-year rule.
- S-400 Delivery Not Connected to Security of NATO, US, F-35 in Any Way – Erdogan Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Earlier, a Pentagon spokesperson warned Ankara that if it went ahead with the delivery of Russia's S-400 air defence system, there would be "grave consequences" for the defence relationship between the Washington and Ankara.
- UN Expert: Recruitment of Child Soldiers by Extremist Groups Rising VOA 09 Mar 2019 -- A United Nations expert finds the use of children by violent extremist groups to fight their battles is growing and becoming internationalized. The findings come in a report on Children and Armed Conflict submitted to the U.N. Human Rights Council.
- Yemen shoots down Saudi spy drone IRNA 09 Mar 2019 -- The Yemeni forces have shot down a Saudi-coalition spy drone in Jizan, southern Yemen.
- Syrian army inflicts heavy damages to terrorists in Hama IRNA 09 Mar 2019 -- Syrian Arab Army units thwarted an attempt by terrorist groups to infiltrate and attack military positions and safe areas in Hama's northern countryside, Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.
- Turkish Forces Begin Syria Patrols As Part Of Deal With Russia RFE/RL 09 Mar 2019 -- Turkish forces have begun patrolling in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib as part of a deal struck with Russia and Iran in the war-torn country.
- Militants Fired at 7 Towns in Aleppo, Hama Regions Over Past Day – Russian MoD Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Seven Syrian towns in the western Aleppo, Hama and Latakia provinces came under militant fire over the past 24 hours, the Russian Defence Ministry said in a bulletin out Friday.
- India says on 'strict vigil' for new attacks from Pakistan Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Indian armed forces maintain "strict vigil" to defend their homeland against new attacks from Pakistan, an Indian government official has said, reiterating New Delhi's previous warnings to Islamabad to take concrete action against militant groups operating on Pakistani soil.
- Indian MoD Confirms Downing of Pakistani Drone Over Airspace Violation - Reports Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Historically tense relations between the two nuclear-armed neigbours have further escalated after 40 Indian troops were killed in a car bomb attack claimed by a Pakistan-based terror group and culminated in late February with a dogfight between Pakistan's F-16 and India's MiG-21 jets over Kashmir.
- Indian Army Shoots Down Pakistani Drone Along Int'l Border - Report Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- The drone was the third Pakistani UAF to be shot down inside India since the 26 February airstrike, according to the military.
- India Again Urges Pakistan to Rein in Militant Groups VOA 09 Mar 2019 -- Days after India and Pakistan stepped back from a recent dangerous confrontation, New Delhi renewed calls on Islamabad to take concrete steps against militant groups - even as New Delhi expressed skepticism about a crackdown in Pakistan against such groups.
- India Conducted Three Attacks Beyond Its Borders in Five Years - Home Minister Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- On 26 February, the Indian Air Force (IAF) launched an airstrike targeting a suspected terrorist training camp on the Pakistani side of the border in response to a mid-February terrorist attack conducted by a Pakistan-based terrorist group.
- Forces loyal to Libya's Haftar eyeing Tripoli Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Forces loyal to Libya's strongman Khalifa Haftar are pushing through the country, threatening to ruin efforts made by the United Nations to resolve the power vacuum there via democratic elections.
- Israel launches fresh Gaza airstrikes, targets Palestinian boat Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Israeli warplanes have conducted fresh air raids on the Gaza Strip in yet another act of aggression against the besieged Palestinian territory.
- Venezuela Opposition Protesters Clash With Police as Blackout Lingers VOA 09 Mar 2019 -- Anti-government protesters clashed with security forces Saturday at a designated rally site in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas, venting frustration over a nationwide power outage and the effects of years of economic and political instability.
- Venezuela's Guaido spurs supporters on at massive opposition rally Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Hours after Venezuelan opposition activists scuffled with police and troops on Saturday morning, opposition leader Juan Guaido stood on the roof of a vehicle in Caracas and addressed supporters with a bullhorn, telling them they would organize continued, massive protests despite efforts by authorities to prevent organizers from setting up a stage earlier in the day.
- Dialogue key to resolving Venezuelan crisis: Bolivia's Senate president Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- The president of Bolivia's Senate has ruled out any foreign intervention in Venezuela's internal affairs amid escalation of the political crisis in the Latin American country, stressing that the turmoil must be resolved by the Venezuelans themselves through dialogue.
- Venezuela braces for rival protests amid US 'electricity war' Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Tens of thousands of Venezuelans are expected to take to the streets on Saturday as the nation continues to struggle with a major blackout that President Nicolas Maduro says is part of an "electric energy war" waged by the United States.
- Rouhani urges Pakistan's decisive action against anti-Iran terrorists Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani urges Pakistan to take firm action in dealing with terrorists acting against the Islamic Republic.
- Iran's Rohani Calls For 'Decisive' Action From Pakistan In Wake Of Border Attack RFE/RL 09 Mar 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has called for what he called "decisive" action by Pakistan in the wake of a deadly suicide attack in a border area.
- Iran Urges Pakistan to Crush Terrorists 'Whose Source of Financing & Arms Known' Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- Tensions between Iran and Pakistan escalated last month after a deadly car bombing attack on a bus carrying Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps servicemen killed at least 27 and left 13 others wounded, with two Pakistani nationals suspected of involvement in the crime.
- US Letter Urges UN to Take Action Against Iran's Ballistic Missiles - Reports Sputnik 09 Mar 2019 -- The acting US representative to the UN Jonathan Cohen accused Iran of intensifying its efforts to develop ballistic missile technology, while other members of the Security Council note that there has been no breach of the UN resolution.
- Iran president voices readiness to cooperate with new Judiciary chief Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani has congratulated Hojjatoleslam Ebrahim Raeisi on his appointment as the new Judiciary chief, expressing his readiness for mutual cooperation.
- Iran president urges Europe to compensate for US JCPOA pullout IRNA 09 Mar 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called on Europe to compensate for US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Xi emphasizes priority of farmland People's Daily 09 Mar 2019 -- President Xi Jinping stressed the importance of implementing a rural vitalization strategy and ensuring food security while joining a discussion with deputies to the National People's Congress from Henan province on Friday.
- Saudi court allows detained tycoon to settle debts under bankruptcy law Press TV 09 Mar 2019 -- A court in Saudi Arabia has accepted an application by a detained and indebted Saudi billionaire and his company to have their case resolved through the kingdom's new bankruptcy law.
- DR Congo: Following second brutal assault on Ebola clinic, UN health chief vows to continue serving 'most vulnerable' UN News 09 Mar 2019 -- Amidst a deadly Ebola outbreak, on Saturday morning armed militia members brutally attacked an Ebola clinic in the Democratic Republic of the Congo's (DRC) eastern city of Butembo, prompting a call from the UN's global health agency chief "to protect the treatment centres".
- Attackers in Congo Hit Newly Reopened Ebola Treatment Center VOA 09 Mar 2019 -- Armed assailants on Saturday attacked an Ebola treatment center in the Democratic Republic of the Congo less than a week after it reopened following a previous attack.
- Voters head to polls with expectation of 'peaceful, free and fair' elections: UN News special report from Guinea-Bissau UN News 09 Mar 2019 -- After months of preparation by hundreds of national and international officials, including the United Nations, around 760,000 registered voters from Guinea-Bissau headed to the polls on Sunday to choose new members of the National Assembly.
- Guinea-Bissau ready for 'peaceful, free and fair' legislative election on Sunday, says UN UN News 09 Mar 2019 -- After months of preparation, on the day before casting their ballots, Guinean voters are all set for a "peaceful, free and fair" national election, the United Nations said on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|