06 March 2019 Military News
- Trump agrees on keeping U.S. troops in Syria: report People's Daily 06 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump responded to lawmakers that he fully agrees on keeping U.S. forces in Syria, U.S. media reported on Tuesday.
- Bomb attack hits eastern Afghan city, causes multiple fatalities Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- A deadly bomb attack has hit Afghanistan's eastern city of Jalalabad, killing at least 16 people.
- At Least 17 Killed In Afghanistan Attack As U.S. Sees 'Progress' In Peace Talks RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- At least 17 people have been killed in a militant attack on a construction company in eastern Afghanistan, officials say.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US General Says Washington Ready to Hold Russia Back in Arctic Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States is ready to hold back Russia in the Arctic, said the head of the US European Command, General Curtis Scaparrotti.
- Navy Establishes New PEO Columbia NNS 06 Mar 2019 -- The Navy announced March 6 the establishment of Program Executive Office Columbia (PEO CLB) to focus entirely on the Navy's number one acquisition priority.
- USS Gerald R. Ford Accepts Second Advanced Weapons Elevator NNS 06 Mar 2019 -- Nearly one month following the acceptance of its first advanced weapons elevator (AWE), the Navy's newest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN 78), has accepted its second.
- CIAT Trains USS Pinckney (DDG 91) NNS 06 Mar 2019 -- The Center for Surface Combat Systems' (CSCS) Combined Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD) / Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Trainer (CIAT), onboard Naval Base San Diego (NBSD), opened its doors for training in December 2018. The following month, CIAT piloted its first IAMD course with USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115). In February, twenty-four members of USS Pinckney's (DDG 91) combat team piloted the future curriculum for ASW Advanced Warfighting Training (AWT) inside CIAT.
- Naval Forces Korea Welcomes Congressional Study Group to Busan NNS 06 Mar 2019 -- Staff members from the Congressional Study Group on Korea visited Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Korea (CNFK) headquarters in Busan, March 6.
- National Guard kicks off PATRIOT South 19 exercise Army News 06 Mar 2019 -- The National Guard Bureau is holding a Domestic Operations (DOMOPS) exercise, based out of the Air Dominance Center in Savannah, Georgia, providing training to Armed Forces members and local, state and federal civilian entities, in preparation for a natural or man-made disaster, March 5-7.
- US Air Force Drone Detachment Goes Fully Operational at Polish Base Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The first squadron of the US Air Force's MQ-9 Reaper drones has gone fully active at the Miroslawiec Air Base in northwestern Poland, the service announced earlier this week. The drones will provide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) information from the Baltics and Black Sea regions to the NATO alliance.
- Two F/A-18s Collide Over US Marine Corps Base in California Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Two F/A 18s fighter jets have collided over a US Marine Corps base in the state of California, a spokesman for the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing said.
- NATO's Stoltenberg To Visit Georgia Later This Month RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg says he will visit Georgia later this month to meet with the Caucasus republic's leadership and attend a joint military exercise.
- NATO Secretary General meets with President of the European Parliament NATO 06 Mar 2019 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met Antonio Tajani, the President of the European Parliament today (06 March 2019), as part of the NATO-EU cooperation. They exchanged views on the unprecedented level of cooperation between NATO and the EU, the security situation in and around Europe, European efforts on defence, and other topical issues.
- NATO Secretary General: Montenegro is a valued Ally building stability in the Western Balkans NATO 06 Mar 2019 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg welcomed President Milo Djukanović to NATO Headquarters on Wednesday (6 March 2019) for talks on the Alliance's continued adaptation. The Secretary General praised Montenegro for its important contributions to Euro-Atlantic security, including providing troops to NATO's missions in Afghanistan and Kosovo.
- NATO and United Nations working together to strengthen Jordan's security and defence capacity against terrorist threats NATO 06 Mar 2019 -- NATO and the United Nations have launched a partnership to strengthen Jordan's resilience and capacity to deal with threats posed by terrorist attacks with the use of weapons of mass destruction.
- UK Warship Sent to Intercept Russian Navy Ships Passing Through English Channel Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The development comes after the press service of Russia's North Fleet reported on Tuesday that the Admiral Gorshkov frigate, equipped with guided Kalibr missiles, had entered the English Channel, in the Russian warship's first such mission.
- NATO-Ukraine Commission discusses situation in Crimea NATO 06 Mar 2019 -- The NATO-Ukraine Commission met at NATO Headquarters on Wednesday (6 March 2019) to discuss the current situation in Crimea, five years after Russia's illegal annexation.
- Top U.S. General Calls For More Defenses For Ukraine Against Russia RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- The commander of U.S. forces in Europe called for bolstering Ukraine's defenses against Russian aggression, in eastern Ukraine as well as in the Black Sea.
- Taiwan makes official request to buy new American fighter jets CNA 06 Mar 2019 -- Taiwan has submitted an official request to the United States to purchase a fleet of new fighter jets to beef up its air defense capability, the Air Force confirmed Wednesday.
- North Korea Starts Reassembling Rocket Test Site – Reports Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Satellite imagery suggests that North Korea might be taking steps to renew a partially decommissioned long-range rocket test site on the country's west coast.
- Trump 'Very Disappointed' if N. Korea Is Rebuilding Missile Site VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he would be "very disappointed" if reports that North Korea was rebuilding a rocket launch site were true.
- Turkey's Purchase of S-400 to Result in Reassessing F-35 Program - US State Dept Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States has warned Turkey that its planned purchase of the Russian S-400 air defence system would put at risk Ankara's participation in the F-35 jet program and could lead to Washington imposing sanctions on Ankara, US Department of State spokesperson Robert Palladino said in a press briefing.
- Indian Court Handed 'Secret' Docs on Rafale Deal, Says They're Stolen - Govt. Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Attorney General Venugopal argued in court that documents on the Rafale deal relied upon by petitioners were marked 'secret' and 'classified', therefore they are in violation of the Official Secrets Act. He further informed that the documents had gone missing from the Defence Ministry a long time ago and that an investigation is pending.
- Pakistan May NOT Have Violated F-16 Deal in Clash With India, US Media Says Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Pakistan's alleged "misuse" of the F-16 has attracted global attention over the past week, leading to the scrutiny of US arms shipments to Pakistan over the past decade under the pretext of helping Islamabad in its fight against terror groups.
- Germany extends ban on arms exports to Saudi Arabia Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Germany has extended a ban on arms exports to Saudi Arabia imposed over the kingdom's deadly campaign against Yemen and the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Germany Prolongs Ban on Arms Sales to Saudi Arabia Until End of March Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The German government has decided to extend the embargo on arms sales to Saudi Arabia until the end of March, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Wednesday.
- Live-ammunition Joint Peninsula Shield Drill 10 Continues SPA 06 Mar 2019 -- Using live ammunition, Drill 10 of the Joint Peninsula Shield is entering its third phase, the last but one, it was reported here today.
- Erdogan says Turkey won't go back on S-400 deal with Russia Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says his country will not go back on its agreement to buy S-400 missile defense systems from Russia, despite pressures from the United States.
- Don't give Turkey F-35 jets if they buy Russian S-400: Top US general Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- The top US general and the head of American forces in Europe has said the United States should not sell its high-tech F-35 fighter jets to Turkey if Ankara moves ahead with plans to buy advanced missile defense systems from Russia.
- Turkey Won't Cancel Russian S-400 Deal - Erdogan Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan clarified debate Wednesday about Ankara's deal with Moscow to buy S-400 Triumf air defense systems, saying his government won't cancel the deal, despite protests from its ally in Washington.
- No State Has Right to Prohibit Turkey Purchase Russian S-400 Systems – Cavusoglu Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- No country has a right to exert pressure on Turkey over its plans to buy Russian S-400 Triumph (NATO reporting name SA-21 Growler) air defence systems, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday.
- Turkey May Let Russia's S-400 Destroy US' F-35 Project 'From Within' – Report Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- On Tuesday, General Curtis Scaparrotti, head of the US European Command, told senators in the Senate Armed Services Committee that he doesn't recommend delivering F-35 jets to Ankara if it doesn't abort the S-400 missile defence deal with Russia.
- US Ups Pressure on Turkey Over Russian Missile System Purchase VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- Washington is ratcheting up pressure on Ankara over its decision to buy a Russian missile system, which was confirmed last month by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Senior U.S. diplomats held talks this week in the Turkish capital to lobby against the sale as Washington warns of "grave consequences."
- Peru Opens 3 Military Bases to Combat Illegal Gold Mining - Interior Ministry Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Peru, one of the world's largest gold producers, opens three bases for military and police staff to combat illegal mining in the department of Madre de Dios on the border with Brazil and Bolivia, the country's interior ministry reported on Tuesday.
- Why the US Might Reject Selling Arms to the Philippines VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- The Philippine foreign secretary says his country wants to buy American weaponry to shore up defense. But although the two countries have worked closely together on security over the past 70 years, costs and broader security worries will make any arms hard to get, experts in Asia caution.
- 6 March 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 06 Mar 2019
- US flies two B-52 bombers over disputed waters near China Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- The US Air Force has flown a pair of strategic nuclear-capable B-52 bombers over the disputed waters near China, in a move that is expected to raise Beijing's ire.
- US B-52 Bombers Fly Over Disputed South China Sea Islands - Reports Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The US flew two B-52 bombers near disputed islands in the South China Sea on Tuesday, according to reports.
- Yemen targets southern S. Arabia with missile IRNA 06 Mar 2019 -- Yemen conducted missile and artillery attacks on Asir, Jizan and Njran, southern Saudi Arabia on Tuesday and inflicted heavy damage to Saudi forces.
- Security Council discusses chemical weapons use in Syria following latest global watchdog report UN News 06 Mar 2019 -- The UN Security Council met behind closed doors on Wednesday, to discuss the latest findings of the global chemical weapons watchdog in Syria, which concluded that there were "reasonable grounds" that a chemical attack took place during the crucial battle for control of Eastern Ghouta, last April.
- From Last Islamic State Village, an Exodus Without End VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- At staging areas on the outskirts of the northeast Syrian village of Baghuz, the exodus before the end looked more like an exodus without end.
- Syria foils terrorists infiltration attempt in Hama IRNA 06 Mar 2019 -- Syrian army units conducted an operation to retaliate terrorists' measures to breach de-escalation zone agreement in Idleb and also their attacks on military posts and safe villages in Hama.
- US needs Rukban refugee camp to justify military presence in Syria, Lavrov says Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the United States needs Rukban refugee camp in southern Syria and near the border with Jordan, where thousands of internally displaced people are stranded, in order to justify its illegitimate military presence in the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Terrorists Shelling Syria's Hama: at Least 5 Civilians Wounded – Reports Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- At least five civilians were wounded due to terrorist shelling in the northwest of the Syrian province of Hama, Al Ekhbariya broadcaster reported Wednesday.
- 400 Daesh Fighters Captured Trying to Flee Last Syrian Bastion - Reports Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- On Friday, the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) announced that it had resumed its offensive on Baghouz following the evacuation of civilians.
- Iran hails Iraq's security situation after Daesh defeat Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Iran's Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani has expressed satisfaction with the current security situation in neighboring Iraq, which managed to defeat the Takfiri terror group of Daesh in late 2017 with the help of Tehran.
- Turkey says to conduct joint raid with Iran against PKK Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Turkey says it is planning to carry out a joint attack with Iran against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, which has waged a three-and-a-half decade armed campaign against Ankara for independence.
- Libya's National Accord Government, Army Agree to Unify Institutions - Adviser Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Fayez Sarraj, the head of Libya's Government of National Accord (GNA) backed by the UN, and Gen. Khalifa Haftar, the head of the Libyan National Army, agreed on the need to unify state institutions and hold nation-wide presidential and parliamentary elections by the end of year, Sarraj's media adviser Hassan Houni told Sputnik.
- EU Ambassadors Approve Sanctions On Eight More Russians Over Kerch Strait Incident RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- EU ambassadors have agreed to impose asset freezes and visa bans on eight Russians involved in the capture and jailing of 24 Ukrainian seamen in an incident near the Kerch Strait in November, according to several sources familiar with the discussions.
- Images show militant facility 'still standing' in Pakistan after India's 'bombing' Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Newly-released satellite images purportedly show that buildings at a facility belonging to a Pakistan-based militant group that India claims to have pounded in recent airstrikes are standing undamaged.
- India, Pakistan Assert 'Calmness' at Border Amid Revival of Diplomatic Relations Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Last week had seen cross-border conflagrations that escalated up to the stage of fighter jets crossing into opposite side's air spaces of the two nuclear power neighbours.
- Indian Defence Ministry Accuses Pakistan of Fresh Ceasefire Violation in Kashmir Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- On Tuesday, Pakistan's army claimed that the situation along the line of control remained relatively calm. "The Indian Army fired in the Hot Spring Sector, deliberately targeting the civilian population," it said. India and Pakistan accuse each other of unprovoked ceasefire violations.
- India Reveals How its Su-30 'Defeated' F-16's Missile in Dogfight With Pakistan Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- On 27 February, Indian and Pakistani warplanes engaged in an air battle over Kashmir following New Delhi's attack on a jihadist camp on the Pakistani side of the Line of Control a day earlier. The dogfight reportedly led to the downing of two Indian planes, as well as a Pakistani F-16.
- Venezuela declares German ambassador persona non grata Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Venezuela has ordered the German ambassador to leave, after declaring him persona non grata for meddling in the country's internal affairs.
- Venezuela to defeat crazed minority of opponents: Maduro Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro has vowed to defeat the "crazed minority" in the country that aims to bring down his leftist government.
- US and Opposition Want to Unleash an 'Oil War' to Invade Venezuela - Maduro Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro accused the country's opposition and the US authorities of being eager to start a war for natural resources.
- Bolton Threatens Sanctions Against Foreign Businesses Dealing With Maduro Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States is warning international financial institutions about potential sanctions if they engage in any transactions that benefit Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, US National Security Adviser John Bolton announced in a statement on Wednesday.
- Venezuela Declares German Envoy Persona Non-Grata Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Earlier, Berlin joined the US and its allies in recognising Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido as the country's interim president after giving President Nicolas Maduro an ultimatum to hold snap elections.
- Guaido Urges US Citibank to Delay Venezuelan Gold Repurchase – Report Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- In late January, Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido, who earlier proclaimed himself the country's president, urged UK Prime Minister Theresa May and Bank of England Governor Mark Carney not to return gold bullions to President Nicolas Maduro's government.
- Venezuela Orders Expulsion of German Diplomat VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- The Venezuelan government has ordered the expulsion of Germany's ambassador, citing his alleged support of opposition leader Juan Guaido, who is engaged in a political battle with President Nicolas Maduro.
- Statement from the National Security Advisor Ambassador John Bolton The White House 06 Mar 2019
- Ex-Trump Lawyer Testifies 4th Time Before Congress VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- Michael Cohen, U.S. President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, testified Wednesday for a fourth time before a congressional panel, continuing to answer questions about his decade-long role as Trump's fixer.
- US Border Policies Under Fire in Congressional Hearings VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- Two top U.S. Homeland Security officials defended the Trump administration's border policies on Capitol Hill Wednesday, a day after newly released data showed a spike in the number of undocumented families crossing into the United States.
- US Officials Issue Sanctions Warnings to Europe Over Russian Gas VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- U.S. officials have warned at an energy conference in Brussels that the Trump administration will take punitive action against European companies that are building the Kremlin-favored Nord Stream 2 natural gas pipeline, which will deliver energy from Russia to Germany while bypassing Ukraine.
- Putin: Russia Cracking Down On Foreign Spies, But Needs Stronger Protection Of Military Secrets RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- President Vladimir Putin has called on Russia's FSB domestic security service to strengthen the protection of information related to new weapons and other sensitive data, saying that foreign intelligence agencies were beefing up activities in the country.
- Superior Election System of DPRK KCNA 06 Mar 2019 -- Election of deputies to the 14th Supreme People's Assembly is to be held in the DPRK on March 10.
- Bolton warns North Korea of more sanctions if it does not denuclearize Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- US national security adviser John Bolton warns of tougher sanctions on North Korea if it does not scrap its nuclear weapons program.
- Japan Cooperates With US as N Korea Reportedly Restores Missile Test Site Sputnik 06 Mar 2019 -- Japan is continuing to cooperate with the US and collect information about North Korea's alleged activities to develop nuclear weapons as Pyongyang appears to be restoring part of a missile test facility it previously pledged to dismantle, the Japanese chief cabinet secretary Suga said.
- Nearly four million North Koreans in urgent need, as food production slumps by almost 10 per cent UN News 06 Mar 2019 -- The UN is calling for some $120 million to provide life-saving humanitarian aid, desperately needed by 3.8 million North Koreans, as it releases its 2019 Needs and Priorities Plan for the country.
- Iran Hopes New Trade Mechanism Ready For Business Within Weeks RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- Iran says it hopes a new trade mechanism that allows foreign firms to conduct business with Tehran will be up and running within two weeks.
- EU Envoys Agree To Prolong Sanctions Against Iranian Human Rights Abusers RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- European Union ambassadors have decided to leave sanctions imposed on dozens of Iranians accused of severe human rights abuses in place for another year.
- US, Rights Activists Slam Iran's Appointment of New Judiciary Chief VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States and rights activists are criticizing Iran for selecting as its new judiciary chief a conservative cleric allegedly involved in mass executions of dissidents in the 1980s.
- World hails Iran's commitment to JCPOA IRNA 06 Mar 2019 -- The international community in expressed satisfaction over the IAEA report on Iran nuclear deal, is urging Iran to continue its compliance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- EU reiterates support for Iran Deal IRNA 06 Mar 2019 -- European Union on Wednesday described Iran deal as 'an achievement of multilateral diplomacy' and expressed its 'resolute commitment' to it.
- EU, Russia, China reaffirm support for Iran nuclear deal Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Iran says the remaining signatories of the 2015 nuclear deal have reaffirmed their "strong support" for the Islamic Republic despite the United States' decision to unilaterally leave the agreement last year.
- US opposes Iran due to Tehran's refusal to be submissive: President Rouhani Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the United States is at odds with Iran because of the Islamic Republic's refusal to be submissive to America, as it used to be before the Islamic Revolution of 1979.
- Russian diplomat: US blackmailing countries cooperating with Iran Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Russia's permanent representative to Vienna-based international organizations says the United States has been "blackmailing" countries doing business with Iran since pulling out of the multilateral 2015 nuclear deal.
- China's foreign aid to contribute to building a community with shared future for mankind People's Daily 06 Mar 2019 -- China will take new responsibilities and make new accomplishments in its foreign aid in the new era, making contributions to the building of a community with shared future for mankind, said Wang Xiaotao, head of China International Development Cooperation Agency (CIDCA).
- UN Rights Chief Presses China For Access To Xinjiang's Uyghurs RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet says she is seeking access to China to check on reports of disappearances and arbitrary detentions, particularly in the Xinjiang Uighur autonomous region.
- US Steps Up Campaign to Block Huawei Within US VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- A Canadian judge has set the date for a new hearing in the case of a Chinese executive with the global tech giant Huawei, who U.S. prosecutors are hoping to extradite to face charges over bank fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy.
- Saudi king, crown prince split over MbS' recent moves: Report Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- Saudi King Salman is said to be outraged by the recent moves made by his son, Crown Prince Mohammed, the Guardian has reported, hinting at growing signs of a potentially destabilizing rift between the king and his heir.
- Trump Nominee Defends Strained US-Saudi Ties VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- President Donald Trump's pick for ambassador to Saudi Arabia defended on Wednesday America's relationship with the kingdom in the face of unflagging congressional outrage over the killing of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- US sanctions Iraq's Nujaba Shia group known for role in anti-terror fight Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- The United States has sanctioned Iraq's Harakat Hezbollah al-Nujaba, a Shia movement known for its active cooperation with the national army in counter-terrorism operations, which led to the collapse of the Takfiri terror group of Daesh in late 2017.
- EU says talks on amending Brexit deal are at standstill Press TV 06 Mar 2019 -- European Union officials say almost no progress has been made in ongoing talks on amending a controversial withdrawal agreement for Britain.
- Weeks Before Ukraine Election, U.S. Envoy Urges Firing Of Top Anticorruption Official RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- The U.S. ambassador to Kyiv has called on Ukrainian authorities to fire the country's special anticorruption prosecutor and tackle its corruption problem.
- Gulnara Karimova Ordered To Prison After Violating House Arrest, Uzbek Prosecutor Says RFE/RL 06 Mar 2019 -- Uzbekistan's top prosecutor says that Gulnara Karimova, the elder daughter of the late President Islam Karimov, has been ordered to prison after a court found she had violated terms of her house arrest.
- One Year On, Africa Free Trade Deal Nears Reality VOA 06 Mar 2019 -- Almost a year after the formal launch of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), the plan is inching toward the 22-country threshold needed for implementation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|