04 February 2019 Military News
- Senior State Department Officials Previewing the Ministerial Meeting of the Coalition To Defeat ISIS US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2019 -- Special Briefing
- Taliban, Afghan Opposition to Hold Controversial Peace Talks in Moscow VOA 04 Feb 2019 -- Taliban representatives will meet influential Afghan opposition leaders in Moscow for two days of peace building discussions starting Tuesday, but envoys from the Kabul government will not be in attendance.
- Taliban To Join Moscow Talks Without Afghan Government Officials RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- The Taliban says it will attend what it calls "intra-Afghan" talks in Moscow designed to bring together prominent Afghan figures, including former President Hamid Karzai, opposition figures, and tribal elders -- but no government officials.
- Pentagon: 3,750 more troops heading to Mexico border Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- The United States is to deploy 3,750 more troops to its southern border with Mexico as President Donald Trump ramps up his rhetoric in favor of enhanced "security" against what he calls a migrant invasion.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ironhorse Soldiers reflect on rotation, lessons learned Army News 04 Feb 2019 -- Soldiers with the 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, executed the second phase of Combined Resolve XI, at the Camp Aachen training area, Grafenwoehr, Germany, January 18, 2019. The Soldiers of the Ironhorse brigade are almost home with their final field problem approaching.
- Clear Skies for DOD Cloud Initiative DoD News 04 Feb 2019 -- The Defense Department is unveiling the DOD Cloud Initiative today that will move its computing and storage functions to the cloud, the department's chief information officer said.
- US Fleet Forces Commander Designated as NAVSTRAT, JFMCC STRAT NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- As part of the ongoing U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) restructure, U.S. Fleet Forces Commander Adm. Christopher W. Grady is officially designated concurrently as U.S. Naval Forces Strategic Commander and Joint Force Maritime Component Commander (JFMCC) for USSTRATCOM, Feb. 1.
- Secretary of the Navy Names Independence-Variant Littoral Combat Ship USS Kingsville NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer announced that the next Independence-variant Littoral Combat Ship will be named USS Kingsville (LCS 36).
- NAVSUP FLC Norfolk Supports Lincoln Carrier Strike Group for COMPTUEX NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group (ABECSG) departed Naval Station Norfolk for Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) Jan. 25, thanks in part to the work of the Sailors and civilians of the Naval Supply Systems Command Fleet Logistics Center (NAVSUP FLC) Norfolk Logistics Support Center (LSC).
- EOD, Seabee Units Complete NIEX 19-2 NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- Sailors assigned to Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group (EODGRU) 2 participated in Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC) Integrated Exercise (NIEX) 19-2 with EOD Mobile Unit (EODMU) 11, EODMU 12 and Navy Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 4, Jan. 22-Feb. 1.
- USS Porter Departs Copenhagen, Denmark NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) departed Copenhagen, Denmark, Feb. 4, 2019, following a scheduled port visit.
- USS Donald Cook Departs Toulon, France NNS 04 Feb 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) departed Toulon, France, Feb. 3 after a scheduled port visit.
- US Air Force Chief Confirms Interest in Improved F-15X Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- General David Goldfein, US Air Force Chief of Staff, has confirmed the service branch is exploring new F-15 purchases, Defense News reported Monday.
- Combined Thai, U.S. C-IED training increases readiness for both armies Army News 04 Feb 2019 -- Soldiers with the U.S. 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, and the Royal Thai Army are conducting counter-IED training from Jan. 29 to Feb. 6, 2019, at Nimman Kolayut, Thailand, during Exercise Hanuman Guardian.
- "Fury from the Sky" helps Army diversify its network Army News 04 Feb 2019 -- From Eastern Europe to across the United States, paratroopers with 1-508th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), 82nd Airborne Division (Air Assault) are assessing a new concept that is transforming the Army's tactical network.
- NATO Concerned Over Norway's Insufficient Defence Spending as Russia's Neighbor Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- NATO is concerned that Norway, being a neighbour of Russia, does not meet the alliance's defence spending requirements, NATO Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller said Monday.
- Second Base? Lavrov Suggests Moscow Open To Discussing New Military Facility In Kyrgyzstan RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says that Bishkek has not asked Moscow to open a second military base in Kyrgyzstan, but suggested that Russia is open to discussing the idea.
- Russia plays down prospect of new Cold War with US Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has played down the possibility of a new Cold War, after the suspension of a landmark nuclear arms control treaty between Washington and Moscow, adding that the withdrawal will have other implications nevertheless.
- Russia to React to US Exit From INF Treaty by Military-Technical Means - Lavrov Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- When reacting to the US announcement on Washington suspending its obligations under the INF Treaty, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday that Moscow's proposals remain on the table. Moscow issued a "mirror" response to the US move by suspending its own observance of the treaty.
- British Army tests innovative virtual reality training UK MOD 04 Feb 2019 -- The British Army has awarded a software developer a £1m contract to explore how virtual reality can be integrated into soldier training.
- New fast jet training takes off UK MOD 04 Feb 2019 -- The Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier, has opened the High-G training and test facility at RAF Cranwell today.
- Senior military official calls for support of strengthening and revitalizing armed forces Global Times 04 Feb 2019 -- A senior military official on Sunday called on media as well as literary and art workers of the military to promote innovation and development in their work, so as to provide solid support for strengthening and revitalizing the armed forces.
- Hungary Holding Back On Vote On Extending Belarus Arms Embargo RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- Hungary is once again threatening to poke a hole in the European Union's long-standing arms embargo against Belarus, sources not authorized to speak on the record have told RFE/RL.
- German Forces Begin Training Courses on Armed Israeli Surveillance Drones Sputnik 05 Feb 2019 -- German forces recently began a training course at the Tel Nof airbase in Rehovot, Israel, in an effort to learn the surveillance capabilities of the costly Heron TP unmanned surveillance drone.
- Iran among world's top five drone powers: IRIAF commander Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Iranian Armed Forces are among the world's top five powers capable of building combat drones, the commander of the Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force (IRIAF) says.
- President Salih: Trump did not ask Iraq permission to watch Iran Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Iraqi leaders have hit back at Donald Trump after the US president said he plans to keep troops in the country to spy on Iran, with President Barham Salih saying the mission does not have Baghdad's permission.
- Iraqi President Says Trump Didn't Ask Permission To 'Watch Iran' RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- The Iraqi president has said that President Donald Trump did not ask Baghdad's permission for U.S. troops stationed in Iraq to "watch Iran."
- Pakistan Tests Nuke-Capable Missile Designed to Beat Indian S-400s Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Last month, Pakistan conducted two tests of its Nasr/Hatf-IX close-range ballistic missile. Pakistan boasts that the missile, capable of carrying nuclear weapons, can beat India's best missile defense systems: the S-400s it recently bought from Russia. Designed for forward deployment, experts fear Nasr makes the use of nuclear weapons more likely.
- 4 February 2019 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Feb 2019
- World must do more to tackle 'shadowy' mercenary activities undermining stability in Africa, says UN chief UN News 04 Feb 2019 -- With mercenaries undermining global peace and security and weakening States' capacities to protect their people, the UN Security Council on Monday shone its spotlight on their activities as a source of destabilization in Africa.
- Yemen calls on UN to break Ad Durayhimi blockade IRNA 04 Feb 2019 -- The Yemeni Ansarallah movement urged the United Nations and humanitarian bodies to make serious efforts to break the siege of Ad Durayhimi city, Al Hudaydah Province.
- Islamic State Resurgence Expected Within Months VOA 04 Feb 2019 -- Even as U.S.-backed forces close in on the very last pockets of the Islamic State's self-declared caliphate in Syria, the terror group is unfazed, instead preparing to declare victory and retake territory.
- Pentagon: Islamic State Could Come Back In Syria Within Months After U.S. Pullout RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- President Donald Trump has declared his intention to reduce U.S. military engagement in Syria, but a new Pentagon report warned that the extremist group Islamic State could then make a comeback in the war-torn country within six to 12 months and "regain limited territory."
- Foreign Terrorist Fighters in Syria US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2019 -- The United States appreciates the contributions the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have made on behalf of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS. As they liberated territory from ISIS with courage and resolve, the SDF took into custody hundreds of foreign terrorist fighters from dozens of countries around the world.
- Syria won't surrender to blackmail over Arab League return: Deputy FM Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad says his country will eventually return to the Arab League, stressing that the Damascus government will never surrender to blackmail or accept conditions for the restoration of its membership to the regional organization.
- Syria guarantors' summit due in Sochi on Feb. 14: Russia Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov says a planned meeting of the presidents of the three guarantor states of Syrian peace will be held in the Russian resort city of Sochi on February 14.
- Sanctions Have 'Limited' Effect on Iran's Ability to Operate in Syria - Pentagon Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- US sanctions reinstated on Tehran have had a limited impact on Iranian operations in Syria, the US Defense Department's Inspector General said in a report on Monday.
- Turkey maintains 'low-level' contact with Syria: Erdogan Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed for the first time that Turkey has maintained direct low-level contact with the government of President Bashar al-Assad in Syria.
- Erdogan Urges Trump to Fulfill Promise on US Withdrawal From Syria - Reports Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Turkey expects US President Donald Trump to deliver on his promise to pull US military out of Syria in the near future, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- Nasrallah: New Lebanese govt. not controlled by Hezbollah, belongs to all factions Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Secretary general of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement has strongly dismissed latest allegations by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that the movement is in control of the Lebanese government, stressing the new administration belongs to all political factions participating in it.
- Israel not ready for war with Lebanon: Hezbollah Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Sheikh Naim Qassem, the deputy secretary general of Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement, has stressed that Israel is not ready for a confrontation with Lebanon.
- Hezbollah Warns: 'If Israel Wants to Launch a War, We are Ready' Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Earlier, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Hezbollah of being an Iranian "proxy," and claimed the group had taken control of the newly formed Lebanese government. The claims were made amid ongoing tensions over a network of tunnels found on the Lebanese-Israeli border, and Israeli fears of Hezbollah's growing missile capabilities.
- Palestinian left-wing party refuses to participate in new government Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- The left-wing Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) says it will not take part in any new Palestinian unity government, which is expected to be formed in the central West Bank city of Ramallah.
- Al-Shabab kills UAE-owned firm boss in Somalia's Puntland , conducts deadly blast in capital Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Shabab militants have shot to death the head of Dubai-owned P&O Ports in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region, according to local government sources.
- Guaido Accuses Maduro of Trying to Move $1.2B to Uruguay VOA 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan opposition leader and self-declared interim president Juan Guaido said Monday that President Nicolas Maduro is trying to transfer up to $1.2 billion to a bank in Uruguay.
- Recognition of Juan Guaido as Venezuela's Interim President by Several European Countries US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2019
- UK recognises Juan Guaido as interim President of Venezuela UK FCO 04 Feb 2019 -- Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt gave a statement on the UK recognising Juan Guaido as the constitutional interim President of Venezuela.
- EU Nations Back Venezuela's Guaido As Interim Leader RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- More than half of the countries which make up the European Union have recognized Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido as the country's interim president.
- Kremlin Claims European Moves To Recognize Venezuela's Guaido Are 'Foreign Meddling' RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- The Kremlin says that moves by some major European countries to recognize Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido as interim president amounts to foreign meddling and that Venezuelans, not foreign forces, should resolve their own domestic political issues.
- Russia: European recognition of Guaido foreign meddling in Venezuela Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Russia has denounced coordinated attempts to "legitimize usurped power" in Venezuela after a number of European countries recognized opposition leader Juan Guaido as "interim leader" of the Latin American country.
- Venezuela to revise ties with EU states over Guaido support Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- The Venezuelan government has lashed out at some member states of the European Union (EU) over their move to recognize opposition leader Juan Guaido as the leader of the Latin American country.
- Venezuelan president rejects European ultimatum on snap elections Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Sunday, February 3, rejected a call by European countries to organize elections after his rival Juan Guaido declared himself the country's interim leader.
- Army, nation ready to repel any attack on Venezuela sovereignty: VP Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuela's Vice President Delcy Rodriguez has hit back at US President Donald Trump, who has threatened the country with military invasion, saying the army and the nation stand fully prepared to repel any attack on the country's sovereignty.
- Trump's Words on Intervention Proves US Sponsoring Venezuela Crisis - Morales Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Bolivian President Evo Morales said on Monday that US President Donald Trump's recent statement on possible US military intervention in Venezuela proves Washington's key role in attempting to organize a coup in Venezuela.
- Maduro Lashes Out at 'Puppet' Spanish PM Over Responsibility for Possible Coup Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro put the blame for events that would happen after a possible coup in the Latin American country on Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez.
- EU Rules Out Option of Military Invasion of Venezuela - Spanish Foreign Minister Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- The European Union, particularly Spain, categorically rejects a military intervention in Venezuela as an option to solve the crisis in the Latin American country, Spanish Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said on Monday.
- UK Wants to Bring 'Peace, Democracy' to Venezuela Via Sanctions – PM's Spokesman Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Ten European countries, including the United Kingdom, recognised opposition leader Juan Guaido's attempt to seize power in Venezuela on Monday, joining the United States, Canada, and US allies in Latin America in calling for democratically elected President Nicolas Maduro to step down.
- Guaido Says All Opportunities for Dialogue With Maduro Government Exhausted Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- All opportunities for dialogue with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro have been exhausted, Venezuelan opposition parliament speaker Juan Guaido, who has proclaimed himself the country's interim president, said on Monday, after declining Mexico and Uruguay's offer to mediate a dialogue with Maduro.
- Venezuelans Should Go Through Crisis on Their Own - Kremlin Spokesman Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelans should decide how to settle the crisis in their country on their own, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.
- Ten European Countries Recognise Guaido as Interim Venezuelan Leader Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro reaffirmed on Monday his rejection of European states' ultimatum to hold a new presidential vote in Venezuela, emphasizing the legitimacy of the recent election.
- Trump Statement on Military Option Proves US Behind Venezuela Crisis - Caracas Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- US President Donald Trump's recent statement on possible US military intervention in Venezuela is proof that Washington is behind an attempt to stage a state coup in the Latin American country, Venezuelan Foreign Minister Jorge Arreaza said.
- Pompeo to Take Part in Lima Group Ministerial Meeting on Venezuelan Crisis Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- According to the US Department of State, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will take part in Ottawa's event via video conferencing.
- Maduro Rejects EU Ultimatum to Call Snap Elections in Venezuela - Reports Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro rejected on Sunday a call by the European Union to organize a snap presidential election after opposition leader Juan Guaido declared himself the country's interim head of state, AFP reported, citing an excerpt from an interview with Spanish broadcaster La Sexta.
- US Special Envoy Holds Talks With South Korean Official in Seoul - Reports Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- US Special Representative for North Korea Stephen Biegun held talks on Sunday with South Korean Special Representative for Korean Peninsula Peace and Security Affairs Lee Do-hoon, local media reported, citing the South Korean Foreign Ministry.
- Iran not accepting EU's humiliating conditions on INSTEX: Judiciary chief Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Iran's Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Sadeq Amoli Larijani says the Islamic Republic will never give in to humiliating conditions set by Europe for the enforcement of its new non-dollar mechanism aimed at facilitating trade with the Islamic Republic.
- EU Backs Iran Trading System, Blasts Tehran's 'Destabilizing, Hostile' Activities RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- The European Union has welcomed a new mechanism to trade with Iran while bypassing U.S. sanctions, but criticized Tehran over its "destabilizing" ballistic missile program, its "hostile activities" on the territories of several EU member states, and its meddling in countries in the Middle East.
- EU Urges Iran to Refrain From Ballistic Missile Development Activities Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- The Council of the European Union on Monday called on Iran to stop activities aimed at the development and testing of ballistic missiles, as well as the spread of missile technology around the region.
- Iran Rejects 'Humiliating' Conditions of INSTEX Trade Mechanism – Chief Judge Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Iran will never accept conditions set by EU countries for financial transactions bypassing US sanctions, Iranian top judge Sadeq Amoli Larijani said Monday.
- Iran marks space day, plans building advanced satellites Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Iran has stressed the peaceful nature of its space program, denying there is any connection between its satellite launches and the national missile defense program.
- Fire At Iran Space Center Kills Three Scientists RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- A fire at the Iranian Space Research Center has killed three scientists, a top Iranian official has announced.
- India Enlists France's Arianespace to Replace Dying Satellite - Report Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- The replacement satellite, GSAT-31, will provide wide-beam coverage to facilitate communication over large oceanic regions including the Arabian Sea, the Bay of Bengal and the Indian Ocean using a wide-band transponder. The two Ku-band beacon down-link signals are transmitted for the purpose of ground tracking.
- Arianespace Rejects Russia Offer to Fix Seam Rupture in Fregat Booster - Source Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Arianespace has not accepted the offer by the Russian Lavochkin Research and Production Association to "patch up" the rupture in the pipeline that supplies helium to fuel tanks of the Fregat booster on the Soyuz-ST carrier rocket at the space center, a source in the rocket and space industry told Sputnik on Monday.
- Nazarbaev Wants Constitutional Clarification On Termination Of Presidential Duties RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- President Nursultan Nazarbaev has asked Kazakhstan's Constitutional Council to provide an official interpretation of an article of the country's constitution that deals with the termination of the president's duties.
- Fears of Street Riots as British Economy Takes Brexit Hit VOA 04 Feb 2019 -- British lawmakers are debating new proposals on the European Union Withdrawal Agreement this week, amid a series of stark warnings over the consequences of Britain crashing out with no deal on 29 March.
- Ukraine Election Commission Receives 83 Filings For Presidential Candidates RFE/RL 04 Feb 2019 -- Ukraine's Central Election Commission (CEC) has completed acceptance of registration documents for the March 31 presidential election, saying 83 candidates have put forth their names.
- Sudan president vows rural development in new attempt to appease protesters Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Sudan's president has promised to bring development to rural areas as he holds rallies in villages and towns in an attempt to soothe public dissent and head off weeks of angry protests over deteriorating living conditions in the African country.
- Ex-mayor wins El Salvador's presidential race, ends two-party dominance Press TV 04 Feb 2019 -- Nayib Bukele, an ex-mayor of El Salvador's capital, wins a landslide victory in the presidential race on an anti-graft ticket, putting an end to decades of two-party dominance in the crime-stricken Central American state.
- Bukele Declares Himself El Salvador Presidential Election Winner - Reports Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- El Salvadoran presidential hopeful Nayib Bukele, a former mayor of the country's capital of San Salvador and a member of the conservative party Grand Alliance for National Unity, declared himself on Monday the winner of the presidential election.
- Presidential Elections in El Salvador US Dept. of State 04 Feb 2019 -- The United States congratulates Nayib Bukele on his election as the next president of the Republic of El Salvador.e
- Greek Premier to Visit Ankara Amid Simmering Tensions VOA 04 Feb 2019 -- Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras heads to Ankara Tuesday in the latest effort to improve relations with regional rival Turkey.
- North Carolina Man Sentenced to 15 Years in Prison for Attempting and Conspiring to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 04 Feb 2019 -- Erick Jamal Hendricks, 38, of Charlotte, North Carolina, was sentenced to 15 years in prison for attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|