03 February 2019 Military News
- Trump Says Wants To Keep U.S. Base In Iraq To 'Watch Iran' RFE/RL 03 Feb 2019 -- President Donald Trump made clear in a television interview that he wants to reduce U.S. military engagement in Syria and Afghanistan, but said he was willing to keep a U.S. military base in Iraq so that Washington can keep a close eye on Iran.
- Trump Wants to Keep US Military Presence in Iraq to Monitor Iran Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- During a surprise visit to Iraq late last year, President Donald Trump said that he has "no plans at all" to remove US troops from the Middle Eastern country, stressing his interest in wanting more soldiers deployed there from Syria. He announced the withdrawal of US forces from Syria in December 2018.
- Taliban, Afghan Opposition to Meet in Moscow; Kabul Not Attending VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- Taliban representatives will meet influential Afghan opposition leaders in Moscow for two days of peace building discussions starting Tuesday, but envoys from the Kabul government will not be in attendance.
- Afghan Security Forces to Reject Transient Peace Deal With Taliban - President Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani has stressed that the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces would reject a transient peace agreement with the Taliban movement, Khaama Press news agency reported on Sunday.
- 'Taliban to meet Afghan opposition leaders in Moscow' Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- The Taliban will reportedly hold a meeting with some Afghan opposition leaders in Moscow, in a move likely to alienate the Afghan government, which is already excluded from talks between the militant group and the United States.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Trump Has No Plans on Withdrawal of US Troops From South Korea Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- US President Donald Trump on Sunday said that he had not discussed the withdrawal of US troops from South Korea with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in light of the upcoming summit between the leaders.
- US, Thai Soldiers partner to hone their squad-level tactics Army News 03 Feb 2019 -- The squad was briefed that an enemy element in the area was using a structure to coordinate attacks on friendly forces. It needed to be cleared to allow friendly forces freedom of movement so they could continue their mission. When the squad members had all the information they needed, they went through their drills and moved out.
- Russian official: Iran, India to join INF Treaty IRNA 03 Feb 2019 -- Iran and India will be the new members of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), some media reported on Sunday.
- Russian gov't says to provide funds for development of new weapons People's Daily 03 Feb 2019 -- The Russian government will provide necessary mechanisms to finance the development of new weapons, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said Saturday, in response to Washington's withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).
- Iraq to Adopt Bill Ending US, Foreign Adviser Presence in Country - Statement Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Iraqi lawmakers are mulling legislation to terminate the security agreement with the United States, according to the First Deputy Speaker of the Iraqi parliament, Hassan Karim.
- Iran's ministries of defense, roads to produce 44 marine vessels ISNA 03 Feb 2019 -- Iran's ministries of Defense and Roads and Urban Development signed a Memorandum of Understanding for producing 44 marine vessels in 9 brigades on Sunday, within implementation of a national plan to advance capacity of production and repair of marine vessels.
- Iran seeks no permission to boost defense capabilities: Military official Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- The senior spokesman of the Iranian Armed Forces has once again reiterated Iran's message of peace and friendship to the world, emphasizing that the country seeks no one's permission to boost its defense capabilities.
- Iran to increase missile power if pressured into disarmament: IRGC commander Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Deputy Commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says if Western powers seek to limit Iran's missile power, the country will have no option but to expand its potentials in the strategically important field.
- Iran Warns Europe Not To Force 'Strategic Leap' On Missile Range RFE/RL 03 Feb 2019 -- A top official of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said Tehran would be forced to make a "strategic leap" in boosting the range of its missiles if Western countries try to limit them.
- IRGC Warns Iran Will Have 'No Option' But to Grow Missile Might if Pressed by EU Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Earlier, Iran unveiled a new medium-range surface-to-surface cruise missile amid ongoing US and European concerns about Iran's arsenal of rockets and missile testing activity.
- Netanyahu: Israel to Keep Countering Iran After Tehran Unveiled New Missile Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Israel will do everything possible to counter Tehran's hostile actions for the sake of the country's security as Iran has overtly demonstrated its intention to destroy Israel when unveiling its new cruise missile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday.
- Yemen's Houthis, ex-govt. representatives meet aboard UN ship Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- A United Nations-appointed committee tasked with monitoring a ceasefire in the Yemeni city of Hudaydah has started its new meeting aboard a ship anchored off the key port city because representatives of forces running Yemen have refused to enter areas controlled by Saudi-led aggressor forces.
- Saudi air attacks kill, injure 205 Yemeni civilians in one month IRNA 03 Feb 2019 -- Saudi coalition air strikes killed or injured 205 Yemeni civilians in January, Yemeni Armed Forces spokesman said.
- Senior Hadi loyalist dies of wounds sustained in Houthi drone strike Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- A top-brass military commander loyal to Yemen's former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, has succumbed to wounds he sustained during a drone strike carried out by Yemeni forces against Saudi-paid militiamen at an air base in the country's southwestern province of Lahij last month.
- Syria Will Return to Arab League, 'Not Surrender to Blackmail' - Damascus Sputnik 04 Feb 2019 -- Those who attempt to impose conditions upon Syria for the nation's eventual return to the Arab League will not succeed, as Damascus will never surrender to blackmail, according to a statement from Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad.
- US coalition targets Syrian positions in Abu Kamal IRNA 03 Feb 2019 -- A Syrian military force announced that US jet fighters targeted Syrian army positions in Abu Kamal, Deir ez-Zor province, eastern Syria.
- 2 servicemen injured in US-led attack on Syrian artillery Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Syrian military forces stationed east of the country have come under renewed attack by US-led forces operating in the region.
- Daesh Attacks Syrian Army Positions After International Coalition Raid – Report Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Saturday evening, at least two Syrian Army servicemen were injured after the US-led international coalition conducted an airstrike on a Syrian Armed Forces artillery mount in the country's northeast.
- Erdogan: Turkey Has Maintained Contacts With Damascus VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- Turkey has maintained low-level contact with the Syrian government, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday, even though Ankara has supported rebels who fought for years to topple President Bashar Assad.
- Senior PKK militant captured in anti-terror operation in Turkey's Adana Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Turkish security forces have arrested a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) during a counterterrorism operation in the country's southern province of Adana.
- CAR signs deal for 'new era' but France's specter looms Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- The Central African Republic has taken a major step toward peace and stability with a landmark peace agreement signed between the government and 14 armed groups.
- Israel begins construction of new barrier along Gaza border Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- The Israeli ministry for military affairs says it has begun the construction of an upgraded barrier along the Gaza Strip amid mounting tensions near the fence separating the impoverished Palestinian enclave from the occupied territories.
- Israel Starts Building New Wall Along Border With Gaza Strip – Prime Minister Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Israel has begun to construct a new "barrier" along the border with the Gaza Strip in order to prevent illegal crossings of Palestinian militants, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday at a Cabinet meeting.
- Colombia Kills Dissident Militant Leader VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- Colombia's military says it has killed a militant leader who refused to adhere to a peace accord his rebel group and the government agreed to in 2016.
- Trump: US Military Intervention in Venezuela 'an Option' VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- President Donald Trump said in comments broadcast Sunday that U.S. military intervention in Venezuela is "an option."
- Turkey warns against foreign meddling in Venezuela's affairs Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Turkey says those countries that have recognized Venezuela's self-proclaimed "interim president" Juan Guaido are worsening the Latin American country's problems.
- Trump says military action in Venezuela 'an option' Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- US President Donald Trump says sending military forces to Venezuela is "an option," amid attempts by the US-backed opposition in the Latin American country to topple the democratically-elected government of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Bolton calls on Venezuelan military, central bank to join Guaido Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton has called on the Venezuelan military and central bank to line up behind Juan Guaido, the self-proclaimed president of the South American country who is challenging the legal government of President Nicolas Maduro.
- Rival groups rally in Venezuela as US sees coup bid losing steam Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Tens of thousands of supporters and opponents of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his legitimate government have staged rival rallies in the capital Caracas.
- Venezuela's Money in Guaido's Hands: The Great Loser Will Be the People Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- The transfer of Venezuela's foreign-held assets by the US and UK to the opposition has been a subject of great controversy, both inside and outside the Latin American country.
- Venezuela 'Won't Tolerate' Foreign Meddling as Trump Considers Military 'Option' Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Venezuela has been currenly facing a political crisis that escalated after opposition leader Juan Guaido declared himself interim president. The United States and several of its allies immediately recognized Guaido as interim president.
- Self-Proclaimed Leader Guaido Vows to Ask EU to Protect Venezuela's Assets Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido announced that he would ask the European Union to protect the country's assets, adding that a new leadership would be appointed at Citgo, a US-based subsidiary of Venezuelan state-owned oil company PDVSA facing Washington's sanctions.
- Trump Advisor Calls on Venezuelan Military, Central Bank to Join Opposition Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- The national security advisor to US President Donald Trump, John Bolton, late Saturday called on the Venezuelan military and on employees of the country's Central Bank to side with the opposition amid the ongoing political crisis.
- Spokesperson for DPRK Foreign Ministry on Recent Developments in Venezuela KCNA 03 Feb 2019 -- A spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA on February 3 as regards recent developments in Venezuela:
- Trump Won't Rule Out Another Shutdown in Border Wall Dispute VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is refusing to rule out the possibility of another partial government shutdown to win congressional approval of funding for a wall along the southern border with Mexico. But he also signaled strongly he plans to declare a national emergency to build the barrier without assent from lawmakers.
- Trump's Intel Briefers Told Not to Contradict His Past Public Claims - Reports Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Top intelligence officials this week challenged Donald Trump in their assessment of foreign threats to US security, warning about the looming resurgence of Daesh* and North Korea's unwillingness to completely commit to denuclearisation, as well as praising Iran for its compliance with the nuclear deal.
- As she enters White House race, demonization of 'Kremlin's crush' Tulsi Gabbard goes full tilt RT 03 Feb 2019 -- The sky may have been clear in Hawaii when Tulsi Gabbard read her speech promising to fight "greed and corruption," but she enters her bid under a cloud of negative media coverage and accusations of being Russia's darling.
- UK accuses EU of acting irresponsibly on Brexit Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- UK trade secretary Liam Fox says the European Union's refusal to renegotiate a divorce agreement is a sign the bloc is becoming "irresponsible" in its way of treating the issue of Brexit.
- May Vows to 'Battle for Britain and N Ireland' in Brussels to Avoid Hard Border Sputnik 03 Feb 2019 -- Earlier, EU leaders ruled out further Brexit talks, with the European Council insisting that Brussels' current deal with London on the UK's withdrawal from the bloc remains the "best and only way" for an orderly Brexit.
- As repression rises, Saudis pack up and leave Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- Increasingly more Saudi Arabians are leaving their home country and filing for asylum abroad in recent years, as repression rises in the kingdom, especially under Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a report says.
- UN believes MbS prime suspect in Khashoggi murder: Turkish official Press TV 03 Feb 2019 -- An investigative team led by the United Nations (UN) believes Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is the prime suspect in the state-sponsored assassination of Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey, an adviser to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says.
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Enthrones Epifaniy As Leader RFE/RL 03 Feb 2019 -- The new Orthodox Church of Ukraine (OCU) has installed its first metropolitan, Epifaniy, at a ceremony in Kyiv on February 3, in a process that further establishes the new church body's independence.
- Salvadorans Casting Votes for New President VOA 03 Feb 2019 -- Turnout is reported to be heavy as El Salvador votes for a new president.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|