26 January 2019 Military News
- US Considers Keeping Troops at al-Tanf, Syria to Counter Iran Amid Exit - Report Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Earlier this month, an anonymous source told AFP news agency that the US has started withdrawing non-essential equipment from Syria, though American military personnel remain deployed in the Middle Eastern country. The troop pull-out was announced by President Trump in December 2018.
- US plans to keep troops in Syria's al-Tanf base: Report Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- The United States is reportedly planning to keep some of its forces in a military base in southeastern Syria despite a total withdrawal ordered by US President Donald Trump.
- Pompeo Hails 'Significant Progress' In U.S.-Taliban Talks On Afghanistan RFE/RL 26 Jan 2019 -- WASHINGTON -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo hailed what he called "significant progress" made by the U.S. special envoy for peace in Afghanistan after six days of talks with the Taliban in Qatar aimed at ending the 17-year conflict.
- US, Taliban May Have Reached Accord on Troop Exit, VOA Told VOA 26 Jan 2019 -- The United States and the Taliban may have agreed on a plan for American troops to leave Afghanistan, sources privy to the development told VOA Saturday. In return, the insurgent group has given assurances that no international terrorist groups would be allowed to use Afghan soil to threaten America or any other country in the future.
- Daesh top commander killed in eastern Afghanistan IRNA 26 Jan 2019 -- A top Daesh terrorist group commander was killed in an airstrike in eastern Afghanistan, Nangarhar Province, provincial officials announced in a statement Saturday.
- U.S. Envoy Hails 'Significant Progress' In Talks With Taliban RFE/RL 26 Jan 2019 -- The U.S. special envoy for peace in Afghanistan says progress had been made in six days of discussions with the Taliban in Qatar aimed at bringing an end to Afghanistan's 17-year conflict.
- US, Taliban Reportedly Finalise Draft of Peace Deal to End 17-Year War Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The talks to finalise the agreement were held in Qatar, where the Taliban has a political office, and lasted six days - more than originally planned, according to Reuters.
Defense Policy / Programs
- KC-46 hits milestone at Edwards AFB US Air Force 26 Jan 2019 -- Fielding began last week on America's newest air refueling tanker aircraft – the KC-46 Pegasus. Operationalizing a new military aircraft does not happen often, but when it does, it typically goes through Edwards Air Force Base – the center of the aerospace testing universe. Regardless of whether it is a frequent or a rare occurrence, hitting a milestone like this should be a huge source of pride for our entire team.
- USS Michael Monsoor Commissioning Ceremony Honors Legacy of Navy SEAL NNS 26 Jan 2019 -- The Navy's newest Zumwalt-class destroyer, USS Michael Monsoor (DDG 1001), was commissioned Jan. 26 at Naval Air Station North Island, California.
- Russia Registering Massive Movement of US' GSSAP Military Satellites Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The Russian track means are registering massive movement of the US Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program (GSSAP) military satellites in the geostationary orbit, the Russian Astro Space Center said in a document obtained by Sputnik.
- Iran's Army "Eghtedar-e- 97" drills end in Isfahan IRNA 26 Jan 2019 -- Great drills of "Eghtedar-e- 97"( Authority- 97) of Iran's Army Ground Force ended on Saturday afternoon with the achievement of all preset goals in the public area 'Nasrabad' of Isfahan.
- Iran Army's Ground Force holds final stage of Eghtedar-e- 97' drills IRNA 26 Jan 2019 -- The Final stage of the Iranian Army Ground Forces' drills dubbed as 'Eghtedar-e- 97' (Authority- 97) started in the central province of Isfahan on Saturday.
- large-scale "Eghtedar 97" military drills successfully underway ISNA 26 Jan 2019 -- Commander of Iran Army Aviation Second Brigade General Yousef Ghorbani announced that reconnaissance operations and night combat were successfully conducted for the first time in the large-scale "Eghtedar 97" military drills.
- Maduro Announces Military Drills: 'Armed Forces Make Our Country Unapproachable' Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Venezuela will hold exercises in mid-February, during which its armed forces will demonstrate how they can protect the country during an invasion, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said Friday.
- Colombia Won't Provide US With Bases Needed for Invasion in Venezuela Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The Colombian government is not going to provide the United States will military bases so that the latter could launch a possible military invasion in Venezuela, the Colombian Defense Ministry told Sputnik.
- Damascus Accuses Ankara of Breaching 1998 Agreement - Reports Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan recently recalled the 1998 agreement with Damascus, saying the deal allows Ankara to enter Syria when it is threatened.
- Damascus: Turkey breaching 1998 agreement by 'occupying Syrian territory' Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- The Syrian government has strongly dismissed recent remarks by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan concerning a 1998 agreement between Ankara and Damascus, saying Turkey has been breaching the pact by supporting "terrorism" and occupying Syrian territory since 2011.
- Saudis' airstrikes kill 4 civilians in western Yemen IRNA 26 Jan 2019 -- The Saudi jetfighters attacks on Hajjah, western Yemen has claimed the lives of 4 civilians, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemeni ballistic missiles hit Jizan, Najran in Saudi Arabia Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have hit gatherings of mercenaries working for the regime in Riyadh in the kingdom's regions of Jizan and Najran with domestically-manufactured missiles in retaliation for the Saudi campaign against the impoverished nation, a report says.
- Houthis Carry Out Missile Strike on Military Targets in Saudi Arabia - Reports Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The Houthi movement launched a missile attack on military targets in southern Saudi Arabia, according to the Al-Masirah TV channel.
- Tunisian FM demands restoration of Syria's Arab League membership Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Tunisian Foreign Minister Khemaies Jhinaoui has called on the Arab League to restore Syria's membership, saying the "natural place" of the country is within the 22-member regional organization.
- 13 Syrian civilians killed in US-led operation in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- More than a dozen civilians have lost their lives when the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out an operation in Syria's troubled eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- At Least 13 Civilians Killed in Int'l Coalition Strike in Syria - Reports Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- On 22 January, the Ikhbariya TV channel reported that coalition jets killed several civilians who were fleeing Baguz in Deir ez-Zor Province.
- Kurdish Protesters Reportedly Storm Turkish Military Camp in Iraqi Kurdistan Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Residents were quoted by Reuters as saying that protesters were demonstrating against recent Turkish air strikes in the area.
- Remarks at a Press Stakeout US Dept. of State 26 Jan 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Remarks at a United Nations Security Council Meeting on Venezuela US Dept. of State 26 Jan 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Remarks Before a Procedural Vote at a UN Security Council Meeting on Venezuela US Dept. of State 26 Jan 2019 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Pompeo Urges International Support for Venezuelan Opposition Leader VOA 26 Jan 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged the international community to support the Venezuelan people and recognize the interim government of opposition leader Juan Guaido as he stands up to disputed President Nicolas Maduro.
- Maduro's presidency no longer rests on democratic foundations: Alan Duncan's statement on Venezuela UK FCO 26 Jan 2019 -- At an UN Security Council briefing, the Minister for Europe and the Americas Sir Alan Duncan called for a legitimate government to be established in Venezuela.
- US attempting to engineer coup d'etat in Venezuela: Russia Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Russia's Ambassador to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya has accused the United States of attempting "to engineer a coup d'etat" in Venezuela as tensions between Washington and Moscow surface at a UN Security Council meeting on political unrest in the Latin American country.
- Pompeo names US neocon Elliott Abrams to head up policy toward Venezuela Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has appointed Elliott Abrams, a hawkish neoconservative, to handle US policy toward Venezuela.
- Lavrov denounces 'destructive' US policy in Venezuela as Russia takes sides with Maduro Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has lashed out at the United States for its "destructive" policy on Venezuela, after Washington threw its weight behind the anti-government opposition and its self-proclaimed president despite international support for President Nicolas Maduro's legitimate government .
- Treasury: US stepping up economic measures to drive Maduro from power Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- The Trump administration says the US will step up economic measures against Venezuela in a bid to drive President Nicolas Maduro from power a day after Caracas severed diplomatic ties with Washington.
- Pompeo Calls On World To Stand With Venezuela's 'Forces Of Freedom' RFE/RL 26 Jan 2019 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has called on all United Nations members to recognize Juan Guaido as Venezuela's interim president.
- Opposition Leader Guaido Demands Early Election in Venezuela as Soon as Possible Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Early elections in Venezuela should take place in six to nine months or earlier, and Venezuelans themselves must resolve the conflict in the country, the speaker of Venezuela's opposition-run National Assembly, opposition leader Juan Guaido, who proclaimed himself Venezuela's interim president, said.
- United Nations Security Council Holds Emergency Meeting on Venezuela Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is holding an emergency meeting to discuss the situation in Venezuela. The political crisis in the country flared up as Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido declared himself the interim president.
- EU States Identically Raise Pressure on Maduro Ahead of UNSC Meeting - Moscow Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Some EU member states, namely France, Germany and Spain, are calling on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to hold a "free and transparent" snap election. Otherwise, they vow to follow the US example and recognise Juan Guaido as interim president of Venezuela.
- Venezuela Opposition Head Declared Himself President After Pence's Call – Report Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- The report comes a few days after US President Donald Trump tweeted that he "officially recognised" Venezuela's opposition leader Juan Guaido as the country's Interim President.
- UN political chief calls for dialogue to ease tensions in Venezuela; Security Council divided over path to end crisis UN News 26 Jan 2019 -- The top UN political official told the Security Council on Saturday that dialogue and cooperation were vital to ending the crisis in Venezuela, but during a contentious debate, the Council's members disagreed over the appropriate response to mass political protests in the South American country and competing claims to the presidency.
- U.S. gov't shutdown ends, but border issue remains People's Daily 26 Jan 2019 -- Friday saw the end of the longest-ever U.S. government shutdown. But the issue that started it - border security - remains unresolved.
- Any move against Iran to cost invaders' economy, security: Military spox IRNA 26 Jan 2019 -- An Iranian military official warned enemies about any unwise move against Iran which could cost their own economy and security.
- Japan's Iran oil loading to continue through March ISNA 26 Jan 2019 -- Japanese refiners will continue to lift oil from Iran through March after receiving a waiver from U.S. sanctions on crude imports in November, Takashi Tsukioka, president of the Petroleum Association of Japan (PAJ) said.
- US bid to create crisis in Iran-IAEA ties 'falling flat': Report Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- The US has failed to create a crisis in Iran's cooperation with the UN atomic agency which has repeatedly confirmed the peaceful nature of the country's nuclear program, Bloomberg reports.
- Iran vows to reconsider cooperation with Europe in case of new sanctions Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Iran has strongly censured France for threatening to impose new sanctions against the Islamic Republic over its missile program, vowing to reconsider its relations with European countries in case such bans are imposed.
- Iran Accuses France Of 'Destabilizing' Region RFE/RL 26 Jan 2019 -- Iran has accused France of destabilizing the region after Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian threatened new sanctions against Tehran over its missile program.
- Iran Defies French Sanctions Threat, Accuses Paris of Destabilising Mideast Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Iranian authorities have said repeatedly that the country's rocketry and missile testing activities were in full compliance with international treaties, including the UN Security Council resolution governing the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- China reacts after American warships sail through Taiwan Strait People's Daily 26 Jan 2019 -- Chinese authorities are calling on the United States to abide by the one-China policy, while at the same time, carefully handle any Taiwan-related questions.
- Saudi Arabia blacklisted for lax control on terror financing: Report Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Saudi Arabia has reportedly been included in an EU draft list of countries that pose a threat to the bloc due to their alleged lax control on money laundering and terrorism financing.
- Russia cements Cuba ties with aviation fleet overhaul Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Russia says it will help Cuba overhaul its flag carrier, Cubana de Aviacion, which is hardly hit by persisting US economic sanctions against the Caribbean island country.
- Irish PM warns troops could be deployed to border with UK over Brexit Press TV 26 Jan 2019 -- Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar has warned that military troops could return to the border with the UK if London fails to finalize a deal on its withdrawal from the European Union.
- MI5 Reportedly Deploys 700 Spies to N Ireland Amid Fears of Hard Border Violence Sputnik 26 Jan 2019 -- Late last week, New Irish Republican Army (IRA) hardliners detonated a car bomb outside a courthouse in Londonderry. According to the Police Service of Northern Ireland, no one was hurt in the bombing, which came amid ongoing Brexit talks.
- Here Comes The Sun, To Help Power Kazakhstan RFE/RL 26 Jan 2019 -- Kazakhstan has just launched operation of the largest solar power station in Central Asia, in the central Karaganda Province, the heart of coal country.
- US, EU Concerned About Suspension of Nigerian Judge Ahead of Elections VOA 26 Jan 2019 -- The United States and European Union expressed concern Saturday about Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari's suspension of the country's top judge ahead of national elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|