19 January 2019 Military News
- US should replace Syria troops with private contractors: Blackwater founder Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- The founder of an infamous private military company says American troops in Syria could be replaced with mercenaries after a planned drawdown ordered by US President Donald Trump.
- US-Led Coalition: Militia Didn't Stop Iraq Survey VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- The U.S.-led coalition against the Islamic State (IS) Friday denied it was blocked by Iran-backed Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) from conducting a military inspection in Iraq's Anbar province near the Syrian border.
- Former Afghan Prime Minister Hekmatyar to Join Presidential Race 2019 - Reports Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Former Afghan prime minister, warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar on Saturday announced that he will run in the country's presidential elections in July 2019, Afghanistan's 1TV channel reported.
- Taliban deny agreeing to talks with US in Pakistan as Khalilzad visits Islamabad Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- The Taliban have rejected reports of upcoming talks with the United States in Pakistan, after local media claimed a meeting in the Pakistani capital of Islamabad was in prospect.
- Taliban Denies Being Ready To Resume Afghan Peace Talks RFE/RL 19 Jan 2019 -- The Taliban has denied reports that it is prepared to resume talks with U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad on ending Afghanistan's 17-year war.
- US Says It Seeks to Address 'Legitimate Concerns' in Afghan Conflict VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- The United States said Saturday that it was determined to address "legitimate concerns" of all sides in the conflict in Afghanistan to achieve peace.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Reconnaissance Office Announces Launch Date of New Spy Satellite Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- A United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket is slated to send the newest US spy satellite into orbit from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California on Saturday, the National Reconnaissance Office announced in a press release.
- USS Donald Cook en route to the Black Sea NNS 19 Jan 2019 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) began its north-bound transit of the Dardanelles Strait, en route to the Black Sea Jan. 19, 2019, to conduct maritime security operations and enhance regional maritime stability, combined readiness and naval capability with our NATO allies and partners in the region.
- CNO visits Japan, Strengthens Alliance NNS 19 Jan 2019 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited Japan, Jan. 17 - 18, to engage with forward-deployed Sailors, meet with senior Japanese leaders and reaffirm the U.S. Navy's commitment to peace and security in the Indo-Pacific Region.
- Russian Navy Monitoring US Destroyer in Black Sea – Control Center Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Russia's Black Sea Fleet is currently keeping tabs on a US missile destroyer that arrived in the maritime on Saturday, the national defense control center said.
- Russia successfully test fires anti-satellite missile system: US intelligence report Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Russia has successfully test-fired an anti-satellite missile system that is reportedly capable of disrupting US navigation and communications satellites.
- Russia Mulling Sovereign's Eye Satellite Network to Watch 'Any Process on Earth' Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Russia launched over two dozen satellites into space last year, and had some 146 civilian and military satellites orbiting the planet as of mid-2018, according to UN figures.
- Chinese naval escort fleet pays friendly visit to Philippines People's Daily 19 Jan 2019 -- The 30th escort task group of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy arrived in the Philippines Thursday for a five-day friendly visit.
- China firmly opposes Pentagon report hyping up "China threat" People's Daily 19 Jan 2019 -- China on Friday expressed strong dissatisfaction with and firm opposition to a U.S. missile defense report's hyping up "China threat."
- Iran unveils new homegrown radar ISNA 19 Jan 2019 -- Iran unveiled new homegrown radar in Vahdat-e-Birak radar site in Sistan and Baluchestan province on Saturday, ahead of 40th anniversary of Iranian Revolution's victory.
- Iran unveils domestically-built radar near Pakistan border Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Iran has unveiled a domestically-built radar in the city of Zahedan near the border with Pakistan.
- Israel Began Nuclear Weapons Program Without Telling Gov't, Knesset, Memos Show Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Israel's longstanding policy has been to neither admit nor deny that the country has nuclear weapons. However, estimates by reputable intelligence companies suggest the country has between 80 and 400 nuclear warheads, making it the only nuclear-armed state in the Middle East.
- Syria urges Security Council to stop US-led strikes on civilian infrastructure Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- The Syrian government has called on the United Nations Security Council to put an end to airstrikes being carried out by the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, saying the aerial assaults are targeting civilian and critical infrastructure in the Arab country.
- Russia warns Israel against more Syria strikes Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Russia has warned Israel against carrying out airstrikes near the Damascus International Airport in the Syrian capital.
- Iraqi artillery attack kill, injure 35 ISIS forces IRNA 19 Jan 2019 -- Commander of the Iraqi Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) for Al-Anbar operation announced that the artillery units' attacks on ISIS positions have killed or injured 35 terrorists.
- Iraqi Hashd al-Sha'abi forces kill, injure dozens of Daesh terrorists in Syria Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Iraqi pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units (PMU) have carried out a counter-terrorism operation in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, killing and injuring dozens of terrorists from the Daesh Takfiri group in the process.
- Colombia Asks Cuba to Arrest ELN Leaders VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- Following a deadly suicide truck bombing on a police academy near Bogota, the president of Colombia has called on Cuba to arrest 10 commanders of the Colombian ELN rebel group who are in Havana.
- Scores of Somali Militants Killed in Fighting, Airstrike VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- U.S. and Somali military officials said Saturday that scores of al-Qaida-affiliated fighters had been killed during an attack on a government military base near Somalia's southern port city of Kismayo.
- UNHCR Calls on Cameroon to Halt Forcible Returns of Nigerian Refugees VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- The UN refugee agency says it is shocked by reports that Cameroonian authorities have forcibly returned some 9,000 Nigerian refugees who fled across the border earlier in the week in search of safety from militant attacks.
- Hundreds Protest In Sakhalin Against Any Transfer Of Nearby Kurile Islands RFE/RL 19 Jan 2019 -- Hundreds have demonstrated on Sakhalin in Russia's Far East to protest against any potential transfer to Japan of any of the islands from the disputed Kurile chain.
- Remarks by President Trump on the Humanitarian Crisis on our Southern Border and the Shutdown The White House 19 Jan 2019
- Trump Proposes Immigration Deal in Bid to End Shutdown VOA 19 Jan 2019 -- In a bid to end the monthlong partial shutdown of the U.S. government, President Donald Trump on Saturday offered Democrats compromises on his hard-line immigration policies, but they were knocked down by the opposition party even before he spoke.
- President Donald J. Trump's Plan to Reopen the Government and Fund Border Security The White House 19 Jan 2019
- Special Counsel Makes Rare Statement Casting Doubt On Cohen Report RFE/RL 19 Jan 2019 -- Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office has disputed a report in BuzzFeed News that U.S. President Donald Trump directed his former lawyer to lie to Congress about a real estate project in Moscow as Congressional Democrats vowed to investigate allegations.
- White House says 2nd Trump-Kim summit to happen "near the end of February" People's Daily 19 Jan 2019 -- The White House said Friday that the second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), "will take place near the end of February."
- US, N Korea Officials Hold First 'Productive' High-Level Meeting - State Dept Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Since the historic meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un in June, the denuclearization talks have reportedly stalled, with Pyongyang demanding immediate sanctions relief and Washington urging North Korea to take more steps to dismantle its nuclear infrastructure.
- Iran rejects reports on Germany-based military spy Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Iran has strongly rejected reports in the German media suggesting it hired a German-Afghan dual national to spy on the German military, saying the claims are part of a wider effort to undermine good relations between Tehran and Europe.
- Brazil's Authorities Show Suspicious Funds Transfers to President's Son Account Sputnik 19 Jan 2019 -- Brazilian financial authorities have identified suspicious money transfers into an account of Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro's son in 2017, the Globo news outlet reported Saturday, citing the country's Council for Financial Activities Control.
- 'Yellow Vest' protesters rally in France despite Macron's outreach Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Hundreds of "Yellow Vest" demonstrators have convened in the French capital, Paris, and several other cities for the tenth consecutive weekend of anti-government protests despite a national debate launched this week by President Emmanuel Macron aimed at relieving the discontent.
- In Serbia, Putin blasts West's destabilizing moves in Balkans Press TV 19 Jan 2019 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has censured Western countries and their allies in the NATO military alliance for actively seeking to destabilize the Balkans.
- Thousands Protest Serbian President In Belgrade, Other Cities RFE/RL 19 Jan 2019 -- Several thousand people marched through central Belgrade on January 19 to protest against President Aleksandar Vucic's rule.
- Congratulatory Statement on Madagascar's Presidential Election US Dept. of State 19 Jan 2019
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|