01 January 2019 Military News
- Trump gives in to calls to slow down troop pullout from Syria Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- United States President Donald Trump has given in to pressure to slow down his planned troop pullout from Syria, permitting the US military four months to withdraw.
- Trump Gives US Troops Four Months to Leave Syria Amid Criticism – Report Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Earlier, Trump went to Twitter to defend his decision to withdraw American troops from Syria, accusing his critics of hypocrisy. He noted that any other US president would have been applauded for such a decision.
- Afghan Forces Repulse Taliban Attack on Oil Fields VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- The Taliban has killed more than 20 pro-government forces and captured several security outposts in northern Afghanistan.
- Several Afghan Security Forces Killed In Fresh Attacks On Checkpoints RFE/RL 01 Jan 2019 -- Taliban militants have killed several Afghan security forces in fresh attacks on several security checkpoints in the northern Sar-e-Pul Province, according to officials.
- Taliban attacks kill 15 Afghan policemen SPA 01 Jan 2019 -- An Afghan official says the Taliban launched two blistering attacks in northern Sar-e-Pul province, killing 15 members of the country's security forces, AP reported.
- Taliban acknowledges Iran efforts to maintain peace in Afghanistan IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The Taliban spokesman Zabihollah Mojahed has acknowledged Iran attempts to establish peace and stability in Afghanistan.
- Taliban kill 21 Afghan security forces in country's north Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- The Taliban militants have killed at least 21 Afghan security forces and wounded nearly two dozen others in a number of simultaneous attacks in the country's north.
- Regional players pressing for peace in Afghanistan: US commander Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- The commander of US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan has pronounced the prospects of peace with the Taliban while the Pentagon orders the deployment of fresh heavy-lift aviation forces to the region.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Statement From Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan DoD 01 Jan 2019 -- Under the direction of President Trump, the Department of Defense remains focused on safeguarding our nation. We have deep respect for Secretary Mattis' lifetime of service, and it has been a privilege to serve as his deputy secretary.
- New Acting Chief: Pentagon 'Focused on Safeguarding Our Nation' VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan said Tuesday the department "remains focused on safeguarding our nation," as he officially took over the post left by the resignation of Jim Mattis.
- South Korea-US military cost-sharing deal expires with no update in sight Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- A deal between Washington and Seoul on sharing the cost of maintaining a US military presence in South Korea has expired, with no new agreement on the horizon amid a standoff between the two sides over President Donald Trump's demand for more South Korean contribution.
- Germany steps up to lead NATO high readiness force NATO 01 Jan 2019 -- German forces on Tuesday (1 January 2019) took the lead for NATO's Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF), providing thousands of soldiers to be on standby and ready to deploy within days. Germany takes over from Italy, which provided the VJTF lead brigade in 2018.
- India, Pakistan Exchange Lists of Nuclear Facilities – Indian Foreign Ministry Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- India and Pakistan have exchanged lists of their nuclear facilities in accordance with an 1988 agreement, the Indian Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement on Tuesday.
- Deputy Minister of Defense: Iran ready to repel threats IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- Deputy Defense Minister of Iran has emphasized that Defense Ministry stands today against the threats of the United States and the Zionist regime and is fully prepared for defense.
- Securing borders, developing Makran Iran's defense strategy IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- Chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri called securing the country's borders and the development of Makran as the defensive strategy of the Islamic Iran.
- Iranian armed forces at full strength: Cmdr. IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- Iranian armed forces are fully prepared and strong to confront any threat, according to Deputy Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Ataollah Salehi.
- UK offered arms sales to Saudi after Khashoggi murder: Report Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- The UK kept weapons sales talks with Saudi Arabia running after the kingdom admitted to dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi's murder, a new report has revealed.
- U.S. president signs bill encouraging regular arms sales to Taiwan CNA 01 Jan 2019 -- President Donald Trump has signed into law legislation aimed at enhancing the United States' influence in the Indo-Pacific region and reaffirming Washington's commitment to Taiwan, particularly arms sales.
- Chinese Admiral Says Sinking US Carriers Would End South China Sea Spat – Report Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Tensions between Washington and Beijing have escalated in recent months amid a growing number of US Navy "freedom of navigation" missions in the South China Sea and Chinese efforts to beef up its military presence in territories over which several Asian powers have overlapping claims.
- Houthi Leader Dismisses UN Allegations of Misuse of Food Relief in Yemen Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- The president of the Houthi-led Supreme Revolutionary Committee Mohammed Houthi has dismissed the World Food Program (WFP)'s allegations of diversion of humanitarian food relief practiced by the movement.
- Yemen's Ansarullah movement slams WFP for "rotten" food aid Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement has strongly dismissed recent allegations by the World Food Programme (WFP) that the revolutionary forces are selling aid meant for civilians, stating that the humanitarian organization is sending "rotten food" to the conflict-plagued Arab country.
- Saudi warplanes targeted Yemen over 15,000 times in 2018: Army IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The Saudi coalition jetfighters bombarded different areas in Yemen 15,353 times in 2018, spokesman for Yemen's Armed Forces says.
- 5 Saudi forces killed in Southern S. Arabia IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The Yemeni forces targeted Saudi military men in southern Saudi Arabia and killed five of them on Monday night, Yemeni media reported.
- Militants in Yemen Stealing Lots of Food Aid Intended for the Poor - Report Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Major aid shipments of rice, grain and food baskets intended for needy populations in Taiz, Yemen, have been stolen by militants on both sides of the conflict in that country.
- Israel Wants to Intensify Intel, Ops Cooperation With US in Syria - Netanyahu Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump announced that Washington would be pulling its estimated 2,000 US troops out of Syria, and gave the Pentagon four months to complete the withdrawal.
- Syrian Army inflicts heavy losses on terrorists in Hama, Idleb IRNA 02 Jan 2019 -- Army units operating in Hama northern countryside conducted concentrated strikes against positions and fortifications of terrorist groups in retaliation to their breaches of the demilitarized zone agreement in Idleb.
- Truce Breaches Recorded in 20 Areas of Idlib, Syria - Russian MoD Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Over the past 24 hours, members of illegal armed groups violated ceasefire regime in 20 areas in Syria's Idlib de-escalation zone, the Russian Defense Ministry said Monday.
- Only way for Palestinians to gain own rights is resistance: Rouhani Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has described resistance against the Israeli regime as the only way for the Palestinian nation to obtain its own rights, stressing that all Muslims must support the Palestinians' right of return and establishment of an independent Palestinian state with Jerusalem al-Quds as its capital.
- Iran pursues 'clear, unchangeable' stance on Palestine: Qassemi Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Iran has warned of plots hatched by the United States and the Israeli regime to isolate Palestine, saying the Islamic Republic pursues a "clear, transparent and unchangeable" stance on the Arab country.
- Palestine won't let US sell occupied al-Quds to Israel: Abbas Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- President Mahmoud Abbas says Palestine will never allow the United States to sell Jerusalem al-Quds to Israel, reiterating that the occupied city will remain the eternal capital of the state of Palestine.
- Militants kill 4 Pakistani paramilitary soldiers in Balochistan Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- At least four paramilitary soldiers have been killed and two injured in a clash with militants in Pakistan's southwestern province of Balochistan.
- Militant Raid Kills Four Pakistani Soldiers VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Officials in Pakistan said Tuesday that at least four security forces were killed when a group of heavily armed militants assaulted a paramilitary training center in southwestern Baluchistan province.
- Ukraine Fears Breakout Offensive as Russia Breaks 'New Year's Truce' VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Ukrainian officials are warning that Russia may be about to escalate its conflict with Ukraine, including possibly launching a breakout offensive from Crimea.
- Tokyo Has No Plans to Displace Russians From Kurils If Gets Islands - Abe Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Tokyo has no plans to seek the displacement of Russian residents from the Kuril Islands if Russia transfers the territory as a result of negotiations, and believes that the obtaining of residents' permission is vital to such a transfer, Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said.
- Somalia Military Executes 6 Militants Without Trial VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- The Somali military has executed six al-Shabab militants without a trial, according to officials and rights activists.
- UN Envoy Ordered to Leave Somalia VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Nicholas Haysom, Special Representative of the United Nations Secretary-General for Somalia, has been asked by the Somalia government to leave the country.
- WADA 'Bitterly Disappointed' At Russian Failure To Meet Anti-Doping Deadline RFE/RL 01 Jan 2019 -- Russia faces the possibility of renewed sporting sanctions after the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) confirmed that Russian officials failed to hand over data from its anti-doping laboratory by December 31.
- Family Says Detained U.S. Citizen Is Innocent, Was In Moscow For Wedding RFE/RL 01 Jan 2019 -- The family of a U.S. citizen being held by Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) over suspected spying says he is innocent and was in Moscow to attend a wedding.
- American in Russian Custody Identified as Retired Marine VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Paul Whelan, the American citizen detained in Moscow on Friday on espionage charges, has been identified as a retired U.S. Marine.
- New Year Address of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un KCNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The following is the full text of the New Year Address made by Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un on January 1, 2019:
- Seoul Welcomes Kim's New Year Address - Reports Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- The office of South Korean President Moon Jae-in has welcomed the New Year's address by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un as a signal of his commitment to resolve the crisis on the peninsula, Yonhap news agency reported, citing the relevant statement.
- North Korea's leader warns of 'new path' if US pushes ahead with unilateral demands Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has said he is open to meeting US President Donald Trump anytime for more talks on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, but warned that Pyongyang may take "a new path" if Washington keeps the country under pressure and sanctions.
- North Korea Warns Of 'New Path' If U.S. Insists On Sanctions RFE/RL 01 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has warned that his country could seek a "new path" in relations with the United States "if the U.S. does not keep its promise made in front of the whole world…and insists on sanctions and pressures on our republic."
- North Korea Says it Will Change Tactics if US Continues with Sanctions VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is warning that the current goodwill with the United States could end if Washington continues to impose sanctions to force his regime to denuclearize.
- Kim: N. Korea Could Look at 'New Paths' for Defense if Sanctions Persist VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is hinting that the goodwill established with the United States in 2018 may not continue into 2019.
- Kim Says N Korea's 'New Path' Inevitable if US Insists on Unilateral Action Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un warned Washington Tuesday during his New Year's speech not to test Pyongyang's patience with sanctions and pressure.
- Arabs see Israel as ally against Iran: Netanyahu Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Arab countries view the regime as an "indispensable ally" against Iran amid reports of warming relations between Tel Aviv and Persian Gulf Arab monarchies.
- Iran's veep: Chabahar port should turn to a hub IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- First Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri said on Tuesday that Iran has decided to turn Chabahar port to main port of the country thanks to its high potential.
- Mogherini: Europe still adheres to agreement with Iran IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The EU foreign policy chief, on the eve of the New Year, said in an interview with the news website of the 'Live Mint' that the basis of the work of the European Union is the the International Atomic Energy Agency's reports, and the union is still committed to an agreement with Iran.
- Iran to hold talks with Pak tribe leaders over kidnapped border guards IRNA 01 Jan 2019 -- Iran is pursuing the issue of the Iranian border guards who were kidnapped on Iran-Pakistan border by holding talks with leaders of regional tribes, Iranian border guards commander Brigadier General Qasem Rezaei said.
- Iran set for 'big leap' in gasoline production this week Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Iran is to mark a milestone of 100 million liters per day in gasoline production this week when the third phase of its most important refining project comes online, making the country self-sufficient in the fuel.
- Xi, Trump exchange congratulations over 40th anniversary of China-U.S. diplomatic ties People's Daily 01 Jan 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday exchanged congratulations on the 40th anniversary of the establishment of China-U.S. diplomatic relations.
- Trump, Xi vow to strengthen US-China bilateral ties: State media Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his American counterpart Donald Trump have exchanged messages, vowing to enhance cooperation despite a months-long bruising trade war.
- Chinese Economy at Crossroads as Trade Reform Pressure Mounts VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- During the past year, the United States and China have clashed increasingly over trade, their visions for the world and national security. In 2019, the question of whether the world's two biggest economies can work out a trade deal is something that is set to have an impact not only on their relationship, but the broader Chinese economy as well.
- Israeli Prime Minister Says Will Not Resign if Indicted on Graft Charges Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Netanyahu and his wife Sarah are allegedly involved in the Bezeq-Walla corruption affair, also known as Case 4000, being accused of promoting the interests of Bezeq, the country's largest telecom provider, in exchange for favorable coverage of Netanyahu's activities by the popular news website Walla controlled by the company.
- Israel PM says won't resign even if indictment likely Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says he will not step down even if the regime's attorney general seeks to indict him for corruption.
- Bolsonaro sworn in as Brazil's new president, vows to fight crime, corruption Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Far-right nationalist politician Jair Bolsonaro has taken office as Brazil's new president, promising to crack down on rampant political corruption and crime, besides the economic mismanagement of previous leftist governments of Latin America's biggest nation.
- Bolsonaro Vows to 'Rebuild' Brazil, Tackle Corruption, End Discrimination Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday in his inauguration speech vowed to tackle corruption and implement structural reforms in Brazil.
- Bolsonaro Sworn in as President, Vows Alignment With US Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Right-wing politician Jair Bolsonaro took an oath of office as Brazil's next president on Tuesday, promising to introduce important changes and reforms in the state.
- Bangladesh Election US Dept. of State 01 Jan 2019 -- Press Statement by Robert Palladino, Deputy Spokesperson
- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Appeals 7-Year Prison Sentence - Reports Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- Former Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif appealed the court decision that sentenced him last week to seven years in prison and a $2.5-million fine in a corruption case, the DAWN newspaper reported on Tuesday.
- New Horizons Probe Flies By Distant Asteroid Ultima Thule - NASA Sputnik 01 Jan 2019 -- US space probe New Horizons flew past 2014 MU69 Ultima Thule asteroid at the very edge of the solar system, making it the farthest from the Earth ever visited by a probe from our planet, NASA said on Tuesday.
- NASA Makes Space History With Distant Fly-By VOA 01 Jan 2019 -- Just 33 minutes into the New Year, NASA's New Horizons probe made space exploration history, flying by the most distant body ever visited by a spacecraft from earth.
- Cross-strait ties depend on 'Four Musts' from China: president CNA 01 Jan 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Tuesday proposed for the first time the "Four Musts" as the basis for moving relations between Taiwan and China in a positive direction, and she vowed to establish mechanisms to safeguard Taiwan's national security.
- China's political formulas disallow ROC existence: MAC CNA 01 Jan 2019 -- The political formulas China is intent on forcing on Taiwan are not acceptable to the people of Taiwan because they allow no room for the Republic of China (ROC) to exist, according to a statement from Taiwan's top China policy agency released Tuesday.
- Full text of President Tsai Ing-wen's New Year's Day Speech CNA 01 Jan 2019 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Tuesday delivered her New Year's Day address, in which she proposed for the first time the "Four Musts" as the basis for moving relations between Taiwan and China in a positive direction.
- Actor Volodymyr Zelenskiy Says He'll Run For Ukrainian Presidency RFE/RL 01 Jan 2019 -- Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a leading Ukrainian actor and comedian, has ended months of speculation by announcing he will run in the country's upcoming presidential election.
- Sisi supporters try to amend Egypt's constitution to let him remain in power Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Supporters of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi are calling for constitutional changes so that the head of state can stay in power once his second term ends in 2022.
- President Bashir orders probe into recent deadly protests in Sudan Press TV 01 Jan 2019 -- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir has ordered an investigation into two weeks of violent protests against the government's economic policies and his 29-year rule.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|