11 December 2018 Military News
- Joint Operations Command-Iraq Briefing DoD 11 Dec 2018 -- Joint Operations Command-Iraq Briefing
- Attacks Across Afghanistan Kill At Least 31 RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- At least 31 people were killed in insurgent attacks across Kabul, Kunduz, and Kandahar provinces on December 11, Afghan officials say.
- Four killed as Afghan intelligence staffers come under attack Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Four people are killed when a bomb attack targeted members of Afghanistan's main intelligence agency in the capital, Kabul.
- Pentagon to Withdraw Hundreds of Troops From US-Mexico Border Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Department of Defence will soon withdraw several hundred US active duty troops from the southern border with Mexico, Pentagon spokesperson Col. Rob Manning told reporters.
Defense Policy / Programs
- SM-3 Block IIA Launched From Aegis Ashore Successfully Intercepts Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile Target During Operational Test MDA 11 Dec 2018 -- The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and U.S. Navy sailors manning the Aegis Ashore Missile Defense Test Complex (AAMDTC) at the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) at Kauai, Hawaii, successfully conducted Flight Test Integrated-03 (FTI-03).
- Army secretary approves new Intellectual Property Management Policy Army News 11 Dec 2018 -- Secretary of the Army Mark T. Esper approved the new Intellectual Property Management Policy on Dec. 7, which provides the force with a "deliberate and balanced" strategy to sustain readiness, drive modernization, and foster private innovation.
- Surface Combat Systems Community Officially Opens New High-Fidelity Trainer NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- The Center for Surface Combat Systems (CSCS) hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Combined Integrated Air and Missile Defense (IAMD)/Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) Trainer (CIAT), onboard Naval Base San Diego (NBSD), Dec. 6.
- Polish Military Celebrates Successful AN-18 Army News 11 Dec 2018 -- As the ANAKONDA uncoils itself the end of a multinational training exercise has ended, as well as the successful validation of the Headquarters Multinational Division-North East per the 2016 Warsaw NATO Summit.
- Future USS Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG 1002) Launched at Bath Iron Works NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- The future USS Lyndon B. Johnson (DDG 1002) was launched Dec. 9 at General Dynamics-Bath Iron Works shipyard.
- USS Abraham Lincoln Successfully Completes Live Fire With A Purpose NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) successfully completed a Live Fire With A Purpose (LFWAP) exercise, Dec 6.
- NCBC Gulfport Signs First Intergovernmental Support Agreement in Navy Region Southeast NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- Officials from Naval Construction Battalion Center (NCBC) Gulfport and Harrison County, Mississippi, met at the Harrison County Courthouse Dec. 3, to sign an intergovernmental support agreement (IGSA), a first of its kind for a U.S. Navy installation and a local government in Navy Region Southeast.
- Future USS Billings Completes Acceptance Trials NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- The future USS Billings (LCS 15) successfully completed its acceptance trials Dec. 7 after a series of graded in-port and underway demonstrations on the Great Lakes for the Navy's Board of Inspection and Survey.
- Strike Group's Dynamic Force Employment Draws to Close, Departs European Waters NNS 11 Dec 2018 -- Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) departed the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations Dec. 11, after more than three months of theater security cooperation and maritime security operations in the Arctic Ocean, and Norwegian, Mediterranean and Adriatic seas.
- Russia rejects US criticism of bombers' flight to Venezuela Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- The Kremlin has rejected the United States' criticism of Russian military flights to Venezuela, saying remarks made by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about the issue were "inappropriate."
- Two Russian nuclear-capable bombers in Venezuela for joint exercises Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- A pair of Tu-160 bombers, known as Blackjack", landed in Caracas on Monday following a 6,200-mile flight, which is said to be aimed at showcasing Moscow's growing military prowess and shoring up the position of Venezuela's embattled president, Nicolás Maduro.
- Pompeo's Remarks About Russia Sending Tu-160 to Venezuela Unacceptable - Moscow Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Earlier, the US Secretary of State called Russia and Venezuela "two corrupt governments" which were "squandering public funds" after Moscow sent two Tu-160 bombers, an An-124 heavy-lift transport and an Il-62 recon plane to Caracas in a show of support to the Latin American country.
- Moscow: Pompeo's Statement on Russian Tu-160 in Venezuela Inappropriate Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Russian Defence Ministry said Monday that Russia's two supersonic bombers had carried out a flight from Russia to Venezuela, landing at Simon Bolivar International Airport, outside Caracas.
- Russian Strategic Bombers in Venezuela Spark Diplomatic Row VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- The United States is blasting Russia for deploying two strategic bombers to Venezuela for war games.
- U.S. companies dominate Top 100 list for global arms sale: SIPRI People's Daily 11 Dec 2018 -- Companies based in the United States continued to dominate the Top 100 companies that sell arms and military services globally in 2017, a Swedish-based research institute said Monday.
- Croatia Denies Reports of Blocked F-16 Deal, Says Israel's $500M Sale a Go Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Croatia's purchase of half a billion dollars' worth of F-16 fighter aircraft from Israel has sparked a bit of controversy, with Croatian officials saying the deal has the green light, while US officials say that's not the case.
- Iran's latest ballistic missile test significant: Senior IRGC commander Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- A senior military commander has described Iran's latest ballistic missile test as "significant," emphasizing that the country will continue such tests, in line with its deterrence doctrine.
- Iran Confirms Missile Test That Prompted Western Criticism RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- Iran has confirmed carrying out a recent missile test after Western powers strongly condemned Tehran's launching on December 1 of medium-range ballistic missiles.
- Tehran Confirms 'Recent' Missile Test Amid Western Criticism - Reports Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The United States earlier accused Iran of launching a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying multiple warheads, despite the fact that the UN Security Council's resolutions and the Iran nuclear deal ban Tehran from any activities related to the development of ballistic missiles.
- Iran among top five producers of destroyers, vessels IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- Iran is among top five producers of destroyers and vessels in the world and Fateh submarine will join the Navy's fleet soon, said deputy minister of defense and logistics.
- Indian Air Force Holds Simultaneous Joint Exercise With US, Russian Counterparts Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Indian Air Force is using only Russian origin systems during the ongoing joint exercise Aviaindra at the western air base in Rajasthan that coincides with the Cope India exercise between the Indian and the US Air Force currently underway at the eastern air base in West Bengal.
- Kosovar Army Formation Contradicts Int'l Law, Has to Be Stopped - Official Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Serbian leadership calls on the international community and NATO-led Kosovo Force (KFOR) to stop the Kosovar authorities from creating an independent army since the move would endanger the Balkan region, the director of the Serbian government's office for Kosovo and Metohija Djuric told Sputnik.
- Briefing on Religious Freedom Designations US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2018 -- Special Briefing by Samuel D. Brownback, Ambassador at Large for International Religious Freedom
- Department Press Briefing - December 11, 2018 US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker-Designate Nancy Pelosi The White House 11 Dec 2018
- 11 December 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 11 Dec 2018
- ICRC: Conditions in Yemen Expected to Worsen Even if Peace Takes Hold VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross warns conditions in Yemen are expected to worsen even if a political solution is reached to end more than three years of civil war that have killed or injured more than 65,000 people.
- UN: 10m Yemenis to be in dire need of food aid IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- The UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Mark Lowcock announced that 10 million Yemenis will be in dire need of food next year.
- Yemeni army downs Saudi spy drone IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- The Yemeni air defense shot down a Saudi spy drone in western coast of Yemen on Monday night, Yemeni TV Channel 'Ali-Masirah' reported.
- Iran, EU hold 4th round of talks on Yemen ISNA 11 Dec 2018 -- The 4th round of talks between Iran and the European Union on the latest development in Yemen was held in Brussels.
- Yemen warring sides not there yet on key issues: UN envoy Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths says the country's warring parties have not yet reached any agreement on the major sticking points on the agenda of the ongoing peace negotiations in Sweden, including a truce in the strategic port city of Hudaydah.
- Progress made in UN talks to end Yemen war, Envoy lauds 'positive and serious spirit' UN News 11 Dec 2018 -- United Nations-sponsored political consultations in Sweden, involving the warring parties in the Yemen war, have led to progress "on a number of issues," said Martin Griffiths, Special Envoy for Yemen, at a press conference on Monday.
- Statement by the President The White House 11 Dec 2018
- Remarks by President Trump at the Signing Ceremony for H.R. 390, Iraq and Syria Genocide Relief and Accountability Act of 2018 The White House 11 Dec 2018
- UN: 250,000 Syrian refugees could return to homeland next year Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- The United Nations' refugee agency says up to 250,000 Syrian refugees could return to Syria as most of once militant-held regions are now under the control of the country's army troops.
- Syria's position in Arab League needs to be restored, Russia says Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Head of the Russian National Defense Management Center, Colonel General Mikhail Mizintsev, says Syria should rejoin the Arab League in order to help support the process of a political solution to the ongoing crisis, and push refugees toward returning home.
- Bid to raise $5.5 billion for millions of Syrians and their host communities UN News 11 Dec 2018 -- Some 5.6 million Syrians need help outside the war-torn country and one million of them are children born in exile, UN agencies and partners said on Tuesday, in an appeal for $5.5 billion to cover humanitarian needs for 2019.
- US-Backed Forces Make 'Significant' Incursion Into Last IS Stronghold VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- U.S.-backed forces in Syria are pushing further into Islamic State's last stronghold along the Syria-Iraq border, forcing their way into the town of Hajin within the past two days.
- UN Launches Multi-Billion-Dollar Appeal for Syrian Refugees VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- The U.N. is appealing for $5.5 billion to support millions of Syrian refugees, and the neighboring countries hosting them in the coming years.
- US House Passes Resolution in Support of Ukraine VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- The U.S. House of Representatives has again called on Russia to end its hostilities against Ukraine.
- IDF Exposes Another Hezbollah Attack Tunnel From Lebanon to Israel Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Israel has identified one more Hezbollah tunnel in the region close to the border with Lebanon, the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) press service reported on Tuesday.
- UN working with both sides, after hidden tunnels confirmed along Lebanon-Israel 'Blue Line' UN News 11 Dec 2018 -- The head of the United Nations peace mission in Lebanon has urged an end to "rumours and speculations" over tunnels which have been discovered along the UN-drawn "Blue Line" – the border demarcation between Lebanon and Israel.
- Trump 'worried' about impeachment over Russia ties: Report Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump sees impeachment as a "real possibility" when Democrats take over the House of Representatives in a month, amid the ongoing probe into the president's ties with Russia, sources close to the White House say.
- Trump, Democrats Clash at White House Over Border Security Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Earlier in the day, US President Donald Trump warned on Twitter that if Democrats do not vote for a spending bill that includes the amount of funding he wants for a wall along the US-Mexico border, the military will build the barrier instead.
- Trump: Military to Build Wall on Mexico Border if Dems Don't Vote to Secure US Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- One of Donald Trump's signature campaign pledges back in 2016 was to build a wall along the US border with Mexico in a bid to prevent illegal immigrants from entering the United States. This has been a pressing issue in recent weeks, particularly in light of migrant caravans from Central America attempting to cross the border into the US.
- Remarks at the Western Hemisphere Counterterrorism Ministerial US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2018 -- Remarks by John J. Sullivan, Deputy Secretary of State
- Four Dead, Many Injured After Shooting at Christmas Market in France - Police Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Police in the French city of Strasbourg have reported that a shooting attack occurred near the city's famous Christmas Market. The total number of dead remains unclear; most recent local reports, citing police sources, claim four people were killed. Twelve people were injured, with six left in serious condition, according to local authorities.
- U.S. Diplomat Warns Russia Will Use Gas Pipeline To Tighten Grip On Europe RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- A top U.S. energy diplomat has warned that Russia wants to increase leverage over Europe and its grip over Ukraine, using the proposed Nord Stream 2 natural-gas pipeline under the Baltic Sea.
- Firms Involved in Russian Nord Stream 2 Face Risk of US Sanctions - State Dept Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Companies that work in Russia's energy pipeline sector are risking US sanctions, and Washington is considering possible actions against the Nord Stream-2 project, Assistant Secretary of State for Energy Resources Francis Fannon told reporters on Tuesday.
- Putin: Russian Intelligence Services Know Nothing About Butina's Arrest in US Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday that Russian intelligence services knew nothing about Russian national Maria Butina arrested in the United States over alleged attempts to influence US policy towards Moscow.
- Putin Says He Only Heard Of Alleged Agent Butina After Her Arrest RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he had never heard of a woman who is accused of working as an unregistered foreign agent in the United States until her July arrest.
- Former Russian Navy Officer Sentenced To 14 Years On Charge Of Spying For Ukraine RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- Retired Russian navy officer Leonid Parkhomenko has been sentenced to 14 years in prison after a military tribunal in the southern city of Rostov-on-Don found him guilty of passing classified documents to Ukrainian intelligence.
- Russia Jails Former Police Officer On High Treason Charge RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- A Russian court has sentenced former police officer Aleksandr Zhitnyuk to 13 years in prison on high treason charges.
- Iraq seeks exemption from US sanctions on Iran: PM IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- Iraq will send a delegation to the United States seeking an exemption from sanctions against Iran that would allow it to keep importing Iranian gas, Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi said on Tuesday.
- IRGC Commander: Enemies disappointed IRNA 11 Dec 2018 -- The commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said the enemies are disappointed with exerting pressures on Iran.
- SPV to be established before the end of 2018: Mogherini ISNA 11 Dec 2018 -- Brussels will create an alternative payment channel to facilitate financial transactions between the European Union and Iran in the near future to bypass US sanctions, the EU's top diplomat, Federica Mogherini announced.
- Iran rejects GCC's claims, raps its unconstructive approach ISNA 11 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has expressed regret over the anti-Iran accusations made in parts of the final communiqué of the 39th session of the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council in Riyadh, saying that the GCC's approach towards Tehran is still unconstructive.
- UNSC Resolution 2231 enforces no ban on Iran's missile program: FM Zarif Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the United Nations Security Council Resolution 2231 has not imposed any ban on Iran's missile program.
- IRGC Commander: Iran's Enemies Are 'Disappointed' with Sanctions' Efficiency Sputnik 12 Dec 2018 -- Major General Mohammad Ali Jafari said on Tuesday at a local ceremony that even enemies of the Islamic Republic acknowledge that the sanctions against Iran were inefficient.
- The United States Joins the Pacific Region Infrastructure Facility To Support Infrastructure Development in the Pacific Islands US Dept. of State 11 Dec 2018 -- On December 11, the United States joined the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the governments of Australia, New Zealand and Japan, the European Union, the European Investment Bank, and the World Bank Group in supporting the Pacific Region Infrastructure Facility (PRIF), which aims to improve infrastructure and services in the Pacific Islands region.
- China will never sit by and watch any bullying act against Chinese citizens: FM People's Daily 11 Dec 2018 -- Chinese foreign minister and State Councilor Wang Yi said on Tuesday that China will "always care about the safety of overseas Chinese."
- Canadian ex-diplomat detained in China amid spat over Huawei executive's detention Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- A former Canadian diplomat has been detained in China, amid an already tense diplomatic standoff between the two countries over the arrest of a senior Chinese tech executive in Vancouver earlier this month at the request of the United States.
- China, US discuss plans for trade talks despite tensions Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Top Chinese and US trade negotiators have discussed plans for renewed trade talks with a phone call despite tensions over the detention of a Huawei executive in Canada at Washington's request.
- China warns against bullying of citizens amid row with Canada Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi has warned against the "bullying" of its citizens amid a diplomatic row with Canada over the detention of a Huawei Telecom executive on a United States arrest warrant.
- Beijing Says Won't Look Indifferently at Persecution of Chinese Citizens Abroad Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- China is not going to sit idly and watch the violation of the legal rights of the country's citizens abroad, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Tuesday.
- Chang'e-4: A mission to the far side of the moon People's Daily 11 Dec 2018 -- China has launched its Chang'e-4 lunar probe to explore the dark side of the moon, which will be the first soft landing on the far side of the moon in human history.
- Brexit Sparks Exasperation in Brussels, Despair in London VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- Britain has long prided itself on having strong and stable governments. But Brexit has fractured political parties, making it harder for embattled Prime Minister Theresa May to plot a course out of the Brexit maze or for European Union leaders to calculate what might happen.
- Theresa May Delays Critical Brexit Vote, Scrambles to Save Deal Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May called off Tuesday's parliamentary vote on her Brexit deal after a conference call with cabinet ministers, an indication that she believes she would have faced a crushing defeat.
- Mandate in Five States Indicate People's Disillusionment With Modi - Opposition Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- Shashi Tharoor, senior leader of India's main opposition party Congress, claims that the defeat of BJP, to which Indian PM Modi Belongs to, in five states that recently went to polls indicates not only the failure of the party's government in the states but also indicates of people's disillusionment with PM's rhetoric and failed promises.
- Huge Setback for Modi's BJP in Indian State Assembly Elections Sputnik 11 Dec 2018 -- The Bharatiya Janta Party (BJP) has suffered a huge setback since it has lost all five states that recently went to the polls to elect new legislative assemblies. The setback has presented a major challenge to the party that currently holds the reins at the centre and is seeking a second term in the general elections due in April next year.
- Modi's Ruling Party Suffers Big Losses in India State Polls VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- India's ruling Bharatiya Janata Party conceded defeat in two stronghold states while it remains locked in a tight race in a third, according to official counts from state elections that began in mid-November. This would be Prime Minister Narendra Modi's biggest loss since taking office four years ago and precedes general elections set for 2019.
- Turkey Pledges EU Reforms as Rights Concerns Linger VOA 11 Dec 2018 -- Turkish ministers are pledging to speed up judicial reforms as Ankara tries to get its European Union membership effort back on track. They met Tuesday to address Turkey's EU membership aspirations, which have all but collapsed amid growing human rights concerns.
- Qatar's economy 'stronger than before', central bank governor says Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- The governor of the Qatar Central Bank says the country's economy has shown resilience in the face of an ongoing diplomatic and trade boycott, which Saudi Arabia and a number of its allies imposed on the energy-rich Persian Gulf kingdom in June 2017.
- 160+ world countries approve UN pact on migration Press TV 11 Dec 2018 -- The first United Nations (UN) global pact on migration has been formally adopted during an intergovernmental conference in the Moroccan city of Marrakesh, despite a series of withdrawals from the procedure leading to the pact driven by anti-immigrant populism.
- Governments urged to put first ever UN global migration pact in motion, post-Marrakech UN News 11 Dec 2018 -- The adoption by more than 160 governments of the first-ever global migration pact is a triumph of multilateralism and highlights the importance of dispelling "myths" and fear-mongering over the issue, said the UN's senior migration official on Tuesday, bringing the key two-day Marrakech conference to a close.
- Moldovan Constitutional Court Suspends President For Fifth Time RFE/RL 11 Dec 2018 -- Moldova's Constitutional Court has again suspended President Igor Dodon from performing his duties, amid a dispute over legislation that he has refused to sign into law.
- COP24 negotiations: Why reaching agreement on climate action is so complex UN News 11 Dec 2018 -- From Tuesday on, close to 100 Government ministers are due be involved in negotiating a final deal on moving forward with climate action here at the United Nations COP24 conference in Poland. So, what is the goal? To agree a concrete plan to implement the historic 2015 Paris climate deal by mid-century. The stakes are high with numerous different pressure points.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|