09 December 2018 Military News
- Taliban shadow governor killed in eastern Afghanistan IRNA 09 Dec 2018 -- Taliban shadow governor for Paktika province, Pir Agha, has been killed in an operation with Afghan army forces, Deputy Spokesman for Afghanistan Interior Ministry Nosrat Rahimi said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS John C. Stennis Leverages Logistics Hub in Sri Lanka NNS 09 Dec 2018 -- Taking advantage of a growing naval partnership with Sri Lanka, the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) established a logistics hub in Sri Lanka to receive support, supplies and services at sea.
- USS Abraham Lincoln Successfully Completes CSSQT NNS 09 Dec 2018 -- The Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) successfully completed the testing of the ship's defense capabilities during Combat Systems Ship Qualification Trials (CSSQT), Dec. 7.
- Launch of Delta IV Heavy Rocket With US Spy Satellite Canceled - Operator Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- The launch of the Delta IV Heavy launch vehicle with a US military reconnaissance satellite for the US National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) was called off seven seconds before launch, the launch's operator United Launch Alliance (ULA) reported.
- Russian Warships Arrive in India for Joint Military Drills Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- A detachment of the Russian Pacific Fleet entered the eastern Indian port city of Visakhapatnam on Sunday to participate in the joint Russian-Indian military drills Indra Navy 2018, the fleet's press service said.
- Iran newly-made submarine due in Oman Sea: Navy official IRNA 09 Dec 2018 -- The new domestically-made Fateh submarine will be dispatched for missions to the Sea of Oman as it is going to join the Iranian Navy in the near future, according to Deputy Navy Commander for Coordination Rear Admiral Hamzeh Ali Kaviani.
- Western Intel Docs Say Iran's Missiles Now Capable of Reaching Europe – Reports Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Iran's foreign ministry stressed that the country would not create missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads after the US and its French and British allies accused Tehran of test-launching a 'nuclear-capable' medium-range ballistic missile last week in violation of the UN Security Council resolution on the Iran nuclear deal.
- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense to Recruit Female Submarine Crew Members - Reports Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Japan's Maritime Self-Defense Force (MSDF) will be recruiting female staff for its submarine crews in a bid to make up labor shortage, local media reported.
- Taiwan to upgrade Navy ships' self-defense system against air threats CNA 09 Dec 2018 -- Taiwan plans to spend nearly NT$2 billion to upgrade the electronic warfare system on its four Kidd-class destroyers in response to China's missile threats and to enhance surface-to-air combat capability, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- British Nuclear Sub Arrives in Gibraltar After Row With Spanish Ship in the Area Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- The arrival comes a month after a Royal Navy vessel fired a warning flare in response to a Spanish coast guard boat approaching too close to the UK nuclear submarine Talent as it was departing Gibraltar.
- Tbilisi, Paris Sign Another Contract on Air Defense Deliveries to Georgia Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- The Georgian Defense Ministry has signed another contract on the deliveries of air defense management and control systems with France, the ministry's press service said in a statement on Saturday.
- Saudi airstrikes kill 5 civilians in western Yemen IRNA 09 Dec 2018 -- Saudi Arabia air attacks on Al Hudaydah, western Yemen has killed 5 civilians and injured 5 others, Arab media reported.
- Yemen: Ansarullah says open for more talk if Sweden process yields Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Yemen's popular Houthi Ansarullah movement says it is open for more talks with representatives of the country's former Saudi Arabia-backed government if underway negotiations in Sweden make progress.
- US support for aggressors triggers humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen: Iran Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman says the United States is behind the ongoing humanitarian catastrophe in Yemen by providing arms and financial support for the aggressor states, which have been wreaking havoc in the war-torn country.
- US says to continue Saudi war support despite 'pressures' Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- The US government says it wants to continue support for the Saudi war on Yemen despite mounting criticism over the humanitarian crisis in the impoverished country.
- Yemeni Conflict 'Direct Threat' to All Persian Gulf States - Emir of Kuwait Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Emir of Kuwait Jaber Al Ahmad Al Sabah said on Sunday that the war in Yemen was putting at risk the security of all states of the Persian Gulf and expressed hope for the ongoing peace talks to be successful.
- State Dept. Top Official: Support for Saudi-Led Coalition in Yemen 'Necessary' Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- US Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Timothy Lenderking reaffirmed Washington's assistance to the Saudi-led coalition fighting Houthi rebels in Yemen on the side of the Yemeni government, despite appeals to end support for Saudi Arabia's actions in the war-torn country.
- Syrian Air Defences Repel Strike on Damascus Airport - Reports Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- According to Syrian state broadcaster Ikhbariya, the Damascus air defense system intercepted enemy targets on Sunday in the vicinity of the international airport.
- Hezbollah Official: All of Israel Within Reach of Our Missiles Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Simmering tensions between Tel Aviv and the Lebanon-based militant and political organisation escalated last week after Israeli troops launched operation 'Northern Shield', aimed at destroying suspected Hezbollah tunnels used to funnel militants and arms through the Israel-Lebanon border.
- Hezbollah: No spot in Israel safe from our missiles Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Hezbollah's deputy secretary general says there is no spot across Israel outside the range of the Lebanese resistance movement's missiles.
- IDF Claims 2nd Lebanon-Israel Border Tunnel Dug by Hezbollah Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Israel Defense Forces (IDF) claimed on Saturday that they had discovered a second tunnel dug from Lebanon into Israeli territory, asserting that the dig is for the purposes of Hezbollah attacks.
- Washington Takes in Latest Russia Probe Revelations VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- Washington is absorbing new revelations concerning the Russia probe revealed in court documents regarding U.S. President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign manager as well as his former personal attorney, both of whom have pleaded guilty to a variety of federal crimes and provided information to prosecutors. Trump himself continues to deny wrongdoing.
- Key House Lawmaker: Trump Impeachment Hearings Possible VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- A key U.S. lawmaker said Sunday that Democrats in the House of Representatives could pursue impeachment hearings against President Donald Trump, saying that the U.S. leader had "surrounded himself with crooks" and was part of a broad "conspiracy against the American people" to win the 2016 election.
- 'Real prospect of jail time' for Trump after leaving office, lawmaker warns Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump could "face the real prospect of jail time" over directing illegal payments during his 2016 presidential campaign, as indicated by prosecutors last week, says a senior lawmaker, who is likely to be the next chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.
- Trump may have committed 'impeachable offense': Democratic lawmaker Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump may have committed an "impeachable offense," a top Democrat says, amid reports of critical breakthroughs in a long-running investigation into the Trump campaign's alleged "collusion" with Russia.
- Trump renews calls for end to Russia probe Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has renewed his call to end a federal investigation into alleged Russian collusion with his 2016 presidential election campaign, describing the probe as a "witch hunt."
- Qatari Emir Skips Gulf Cooperation Council in Riyadh, Sends FM Instead - Doha Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Qatari Emir Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani has decided to skip the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) held in Riyadh on Sunday, sending the country's state minister for foreign affairs to head the delegation, amid ongoing diplomatic crisis with Qatar's Persian Gulf neighbors, Qatari Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ahmed AlRumaihi said on Sunday.
- Qatari emir shuns GCC summit in Saudi Arabia, sends foreign minister Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani has refused to participate in the annual [Persian] Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit, which is set to take place in the Saudi capital city of Riyadh at the weekend, and instead sent the foreign minister to attend the event.
- Armenians voting in snap parliamentary elections Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Armenians are heading to the polls to cast their ballots in snap parliamentary elections initiated by acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, who swept to power after protests earlier this year.
- Pashinian's 'My Step' Alliance Seen Leading In Armenia's Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 09 Dec 2018 -- Early results in Armenia's snap parliamentary elections indicate that acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian's My Step alliance is leading with more than 60 percent of the vote, election officials say.
- Armenia Holds Snap Election for Parliament VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- Armenians are casting their votes in early parliamentary elections Sunday.
- Talks between Foreign Ministers of DPRK, PRC Held KCNA 09 Dec 2018 -- Talks took place between Foreign Minister of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea Ri Yong Ho who is heading the DPRK government delegation on a visit to the People's Republic of China, and Wang Yi, state councilor and foreign minister of the PRC, in Beijing on Friday.
- Head of DPRK Government Delegation Meets Chinese President KCNA 09 Dec 2018 -- Foreign Minister of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea Ri Yong Ho on a visit to the People's Republic of China as head of the DPRK government delegation met with Xi Jinping, president of the PRC, at the Great Hall of the People on Dec.7.
- Iran Holds Melbourne University Academic On 'Infiltration' Charge RFE/RL 09 Dec 2018 -- Iran has detained an Australian-based academic on charges of trying to "infiltrate" Iranian institutions, state media said.
- Dialogue, respect for law essential for making strong region: FM Zarif Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says under the current tumultuous conditions in the Middle East, dialogue and respect for international law are among the most important factors that pave the way for making the region strong.
- Iran police make 10 arrests in connection with Chabahar terror attack Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Iran's Police Chief Brigadier General Hossein Ashtari says 10 people have already been arrested in connection with the recent terrorist attack that took place in the southeastern port city of Chabahar.
- Iran's Ayatollah Calls for Stronger Currency After Months of Devaluation Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is urging the Central Bank of Iran (CBI) to support the ailing national currency amid concerns a weaker rial could negatively affect the well-being of Iranian citizens.
- US ambassador summoned in Beijing over arrest of top Huawei executive Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- China has summoned the ambassador of the United States in Beijing to express its protest against the "extremely bad" arrest of a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei in Canada, calling on Washington to drop its extradition request.
- China Foreign Ministry Summons US Envoy Over Huawei Executive's Arrest Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- China's Foreign Ministry has said that the next steps it takes in dealing with the case will depend on the measures taken by the US.
- China Summons US Envoy to Protest Tech Executive's Arrest in Canada VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- China summoned the U.S. ambassador in Beijing on Sunday to lodge a "strong protest" over the arrest of a Chinese technology executive in Canada and Washington's demand that she be extradited to the United States to stand trial on fraud charges.
- France's Macron to Address Nation in Wake of Violent Protests VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron will address the nation on Monday in response to massive, often violent rallies staged by "yellow-vest" protesters across the country for the past four weekends.
- Paris Cleans Up After Latest Riot; Nearly 1,800 Arrested VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- Nearly 1,800 people were arrested Saturday across France in the latest round of "yellow vest" protests.
- Israel seeking formal ties with Saudi Arabia within months: TV Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- A main Israeli TV station has revealed that the regime in Tel Aviv is seeking full diplomatic relations with the Saudi Arabian government and wants to make their ties official within the next few months.
- Israel Wants to Formalise Diplomatic Ties With Saudi Arabia – Report Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- In November 2017, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu admitted that despite having no diplomatic relations with Riyadh, the Jewish state has had "contacts" with Saudi Arabia which "have been kept in general secret".
- Saudi Arabia rules out extraditing Khashoggi case suspects Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Saudi Arabia says it is not sending back two of its former senior officials to Turkey, which seeks to arrest them on suspicion of planning the October murder of a renowned Saudi dissident journalist.
- US-Saudi relationship enters uncharted territory Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- Ties between Saudi Arabia and the United States face an uncertain future as Congress and the White House grow more divided over punishing the traditional Middle East ally over a range of issues, including the ongoing war against Yemen.
- Israeli Government Okayed Spyware Sale to Saudis to Track Khashoggi - Reports Sputnik 09 Dec 2018 -- A new report suggests that the Israeli authorities approved the sales of phone hacking spyware to Riyadh so that it could ensnare dissidents. Israel's alleged intentions were to forge an alliance with a major power in the Arab world in its fight with Iran for influence in the Middle East.
- No-deal Brexit would force Scots to vote for independence from UK: Poll Press TV 09 Dec 2018 -- A new poll conducted in Scotland shows that a significant majority of people in the British province would prefer to leave the United Kingdom if the country leaves the European Union without a deal.
- World Marks Anti-Corruption Day VOA 09 Dec 2018 -- Corruption costs the world economy $2.6 trillion each year, according to the United Nations, which is marking International Anti-Corruption Day on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|