25 November 2018 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Just in Time for NATO: Military Deploys Advanced Radar Station in Central Russia Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- The Russian Armed Forces have observed a noticeable increase in NATO reconnaissance activity on its borders in recent months, scrambling aircraft repeatedly last week to prevent foreign spy planes from entering Russian airspace.
- 76th joint patrol on Mekong River completed People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- The 76th joint patrol on the Mekong River jointly conducted by China, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand was completed Saturday.
- Commander: Three destroyers to join Iran Navy Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Iran's Navy commander says the force is to join three destroyers to its northern and southern armadas in a matter of four months.
- Navy has no plans to stage drill near Taiping Island CNA 25 Nov 2018 -- The Navy said Sunday that it has no plans to stage an exercise near a Taiwan-controlled island in the disputed South China Sea later this week, refuting a local media report earlier in the day.
- Zarif reveals reasons why Iran sympathizes with Yemenis IRNA 25 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad-Javad Zarif in a message disclosed the reasons why Iran sympathizes with Yemeni people.
- Saudi-led attacks on Yemen's Hudaydah will destroy UN peace efforts: Ansarullah Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the uptick in Saudi-led airstrikes on the strategic port city of Hudaydah will eventually frustrate efforts by United Nations Envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths to rekindle peace talks in Sweden next month.
- Yemeni ballistic missile hits military base in Asir region Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have hit a military base in Saudi Arabia's Asir region with a domestically-manufactured high-precision ballistic missile in retaliation for the regime's campaign of military aggression against the impoverished nation, a report says.
- Russia strikes militants behind 'chlorine' attack on Syria's Aleppo Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Russia has carried out airstrikes against militants it held responsible for firing shells filled with chlorine gas at Syria's northern city of Aleppo.
- Fresh US-led airstrikes kill over dozen Syrian civilians in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- More than a dozen civilians have lost their lives and sustained injuries when the so-called US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out a number of aerial attacks in Syria's troubled eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Syria calls on UNSC to condemn Aleppo gas attack Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Syria's foreign ministry has called on the UN Security Council to condemn the recent chemical attack carried out by the foreign-backed militants in the northern city of Aleppo.
- Russia Sends Experts To Aleppo After Reports Of Chemical Attack RFE/RL 25 Nov 2018 -- Russia says it has sent military chemicals experts to Aleppo after reports that shells fired by insurgents in the Syrian city left dozens of people with breathing and vision problems.
- Russian Jets Hit Targets at Militants' Staging Ground for Aleppo Chemical Attack Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- Syrian media reported on Saturday that militants based north of Aleppo bombarded the city with chlorine-filled shells, causing over a hundred people to be delivered to hospitals with symptoms typical for poisoning such as suffocation.
- Russian MoD Confirms Chlorine Used in Aleppo Attack, Dispatches Army Chem Team Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- Russian military chemists arrived in the Syrian city of Aleppo, at which militants fired shells filled with poisonous agents on Saturday, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov told reporters on Sunday.
- UN chief 'following very closely' reports of chemical weapons use in Syria's Aleppo UN News 25 Nov 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has underlined that any use of chemical weapons against civilians and under any circumstances is a clear violation of international law, amid reports that such weapons have been allegedly used in Syria's war-battered Aleppo.
- Syrians Injured in Possible Chemical Attack VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- Syrian state media and a Syrian watchdog say about 100 people in Aleppo have been hospitalized, complaining of breathing difficulties.
- Iraqi MP warns of 'dangerous' US plan to target Hashd al-Sha'abi bases Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- An Iraqi lawmaker has warned of a "dangerous" US plot to target military bases run by Hashd al-Sha'abi, a paramilitary force that has actively cooperated with the Iraqi army in counter-terrorism operations.
- Libya: UN Mission condemns deadly attack against police in country's south-east UN News 25 Nov 2018 -- The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has condemned a terrorist attack on a police station in Tezirbu, an oasis town in south-east of the country.
- Russia impounds transgressing Ukraine ships Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Russia says it has been forced to open fire at and impound three Ukrainian naval vessels after they illegally crossed its sea border, entering the Russian waters in the Black Sea off the Crimean Peninsula.
- Russia and Ukraine involved in Black Sea naval standoff Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Russia and Ukraine forces have engaged in a maritime confrontation, reflecting rising tensions between Moscow and Kiev in the Black Sea near Crimea.
- Ukrainian Lawmakers To Consider Martial Law Proposal After Russia Opens Fire On Ships In Black Sea RFE/RL 25 Nov 2018 -- Ukrainian lawmakers will hold an extraordinary session for November 26 to consider a military council recommendation to introduce martial law Russian forces opened fire on a group of Ukrainian ships in the Black Sea off the coast of the Crimean Peninsula.
- Kyiv Says Russia Attacked Ukrainian Navy Ships, Seized Three In Black Sea RFE/RL 25 Nov 2018 -- The Ukrainian Navy says Russian forces opened fire on a group of its ships in the Black Sea off the coast of the Crimean Peninsula late on November 25, striking two warships and wounding two crew members before seizing the vessels along with a Ukrainian Navy tugboat.
- Ukrainian Forces Pound Donbass Residential Area with Heavy Artillery Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- The Ukrainian army on Sunday opened up with massive artillery fire, shelling residential areas of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic (DPR), an RIA Novosti correspondent has reported.
- Three Ukrainian Naval Ships Depart Kerch Strait, Return to Berdyansk - FSB Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) said Sunday it has irrefutable evidence that Ukrainian Naval Forces prepared and staged a provocation in the Black Sea.
- Three Ukrainian Navy Ships Crossed Russian Waters, Entered Kerch Strait - FSB Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- Three Ukrainian Navy ships crossed into temporarily off-limits Russian territorial waters, moving from the Black Sea to the Kerch Strait, the press service of the FSB's Crimean border department said on Monday.
- Russia Attacks, Seizes 3 Ukrainian Navy Vessels VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- Russia fired on two Ukrainian naval ships and rammed a third vessel in the Black Sea Sunday, accusing the Ukrainians of illegally entering what it claims as its territorial waters.
- Russia Scrambles Warplanes as Ukrainian Navy Moves on Kerch Strait Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- The sudden intrusion by the Ukrainian ships prompted Russia to deploy it's naval assets, along with military aircraft and combat helicopters, in order to contain the situation which Russian Federal Security Service described as "provocation."
- Russian FSB Ships Pursue Ukrainian Vessels in Kerch Strait Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- Moscow deployed naval and air assets in the Kerch Strait on Sunday after Ukraine sent several ships into Russia's territorial waters in what the Federal Security Service said could only be described as a "provocation" orchestrated by Kiev.
- 'Indian soldier, 6 militants killed in new Kashmir clash' Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Indian forces have reportedly killed six militants in the Indian-controlled part of Kashmir, as tensions and fatalities rise in the region.
- 6 Rebels, 1 Soldier Killed in Kashmir, Sparking Protests VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- Six rebels and an army soldier were killed in a gunbattle in Indian-controlled Kashmir on Sunday, officials said, sp
- Indian Ministers To Attend New Border-Crossing Ceremony In Pakistan RFE/RL 25 Nov 2018 -- In a rare sign of cooperation between Pakistan and India, two Indian ministers were set to attend the groundbreaking ceremony for a new Pakistani border crossing for Sikh pilgrims later this week.
- China, India reach important consensus on boundary issues: FM People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- Senior officials of China and India had reached some important consensus on boundary issues during a Saturday meeting, said a press release from the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- Attack kills 12 in resource-rich Mozambique region Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- An attack by suspected Takfiri extremists has reportedly left 12 people dead in a resource-rich region in northern Mozambique. arking violent protests by residents seeking an end to Indian rule over the disputed region and leaving a teenage boy dead and 20 people injured.
- Nigerian President Breaks Silence on Military Base Attack VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- Nigeria's president has finally broken his silence about the deaths of dozens of soldiers killed by Islamist militants a week ago in the northeastern state of Borno.
- Petroleum Min: Chinese firm replaces Total in South Pars IRNA 25 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Petroleum Minister Bijan Zangeneh referred to Total withdrawal from South Pars phase 11 saying Chinese company CNPC replaced the French company.
- Spirit of Iran Basij forces spreading across region: IRGC IRNA 25 Nov 2018 -- Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) General Hossein Salami says spread of the spirit promoted by Iran's Basij [grass-root volunteer]forces across Muslim nations has defeated enemies.
- Iran's Bank Melli says German branch 'not disconnected' Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Iran's largest commercial lender, Bank Melli, has rejected reports that its branch in Germany's Hamburg has become disconnected from phone and internet services as a result of US sanctions.
- Trump makes backing MbS 'sound easy' after Khashoggi's death Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- It is not easy for US President Donald Trump to simply turn a blind eye to probable implication of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, says a US senator,
- More Republican lawmakers challenge Trump over murdered Saudi journalist Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Several US Republican senators have again rejected President Donald Trump's defense of Saudi Arabia after the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, with some lawmakers from his party saying Congress must take additional action.
- Saudis Agreed to Buy Pegasus Spyware From Israeli Cyber Firm - Reports Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- NSO, a secretive spyware firm, has been the target of accusations from Canada and Edward Snowden, who say that it helped the Saudi government spy on dissidents using a cutting-edge espionage tool.
- US Lawmakers Split With Trump on Khashoggi Killing VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- Several U.S. lawmakers broke with President Donald Trump on Sunday, disagreeing with his assessment that it was uncertain whether Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was involved in the killing of a Saudi dissident journalist inside Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul.
- Pompeo praises Taiwan's elections as example in region CNA 25 Nov 2018 -- United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday praised Taiwan for it's local government elections, calling them an example of democracy in action for the Indo-Pacific region.
- U.S. congratulates Taiwan on successful elections CNA 25 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. government on Saturday extended its congratulations to Taiwan on the smooth completion of the latest local government elections.
- MAC urges Beijing not to 'misjudge' voting results CNA 25 Nov 2018 -- The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) urged Beijing Sunday not to "misjudge" the results of Taiwan's local elections and referendums, in which the opposition Kuomintang (KMT) crushed the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP).
- Mainland to stick to peaceful development path in cross-Straits relations: spokesperson People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson on Sunday said the mainland will continue to enhance solidarity with Taiwan compatriots and follow a path of peaceful development of cross-Straits relations.
- China commends Taiwan voters after ruling party defeat Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- China has welcomed the defeat of Taiwan's secessionist ruling party in the self-ruled island's local elections, saying the vote showed the "strong will" of the people in the region to develop peaceful relations with Beijing.
- China launches remote sensing to monitor operation of FAST telescope People's Daily 25 Nov 2018 -- Southwest China's Guizhou Province has used remote sensing to monitor the operation of China's Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Radio Telescope (FAST), the world's largest single-dish radio telescope.
- Corbyn reiterates Labour will reject UK Brexit deal with EU Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- Britain's opposition Labour Party in the UK Parliament will reject the Brexit agreement reached with the European Union, its leader Jeremy Corbyn has reiterated, calling it a "bad deal" for the country.
- Brexit agreement with EU 'only possible deal' available: UK PM May Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has reiterated that a European Union divorce deal endorsed by the bloc on Sunday was the "only possible deal" that would provide control of UK borders and budgets while maintaining close cooperation with EU regulations that was good for business and the security of the broader region.
- EU leaders endorse Brexit deal, reject renegotiation with UK Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- All 27 members of the European Union (EU) have approved a deal to end the UK's membership in the bloc, warning that renegotiation was not an option even if the British parliament rejects it.
- May appeals to the public to support her Brexit deal Press TV 25 Nov 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has appealed to the public to support her Brexit deal, calling on Leavers and Remainers to end hostilities and unite.
- Endorsed Brexit Deal 'Only Possible' Way to Lead UK to 'Bright Future' - May Sputnik 25 Nov 2018 -- UK Prime Minister Theresa May has held a national briefing on Brexit, hours after the EU leaders held a special meeting on the issue, endorsed the Brexit withdrawal agreement and the political declaration regulating post-Brexit relations with the United Kingdom.
- British Lawmakers Warn They Will Vote Against Brexit Deal VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- It took Britain's Theresa May and 27 other European Union leaders just 40 minutes to sign the Brexit deal after two years of tortuous negotiations, but the trials and tribulations of Britain's withdrawal agreement approved Sunday in Brussels are far from over.
- Long-Closed Uzbekistan Opens Up to the World VOA 25 Nov 2018 -- For the first time in a generation, Tashkent has an outward-looking foreign policy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|