18 November 2018 Military News
- Dunford Reiterates that Reconciliation is Only Viable Path in Afghanistan AFPS 18 Nov 2018 -- Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford reiterated yesterday that reconciliation is the only way forward in Afghanistan and that political, economic, religious and military pressure must be maintained on the group.
- Afghan Taliban Reportedly Holds Talks With U.S. Envoy In Qatar RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- The Associated Press reports that high-ranking members of the Taliban have held three days of talks in Qatar with the U.S. peace envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad.
- US Envoy 'Cautiously Optimistic' About Achieving Afghan Peace Deal VOA 18 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. special representative for Afghanistan reconciliation says despite challenges and difficulties he is "cautiously optimistic or hopeful" about facilitating an inter-Afghan peace dialogue to end the 17-year war.
- 195th ISRG provides intelligence support for Camp and Woolsey Fires AFNS 18 Nov 2018 -- Air National Guardsmen from the 195th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group have been aerial imagery support to agencies battling fires in California since Nov. 8, at Beale Air Force Base.
Defense Policy / Programs
- All US military services fail first-ever audit of Pentagon Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- All US military services have failed the first-ever audit of the country's massive defense department, referred to by its officials as "the $2.7 trillion enterprise," highlighting widespread problems in its cyber-security.
- US, Australia to Develop Joint Pacific Naval Base to Counter Chinese Influence Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The US will join Australia in the redevelopment of a naval base in Papua New Guinea, countering China's influence in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Russia's Security Agency Pulls Ambitious Satellite Internet Venture Back To Earth RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- A contract, estimated at $1 billion, to launch 21 Soyuz rockets over the next two years carrying "micro-satellites" -- part of a U.S.-based company's plans to offer broadband Internet access over remote territories of the globe, including parts of Siberia.
- Chinese, U.S. militaries end disaster management exchange in Nanjing People's Daily 18 Nov 2018 -- Military personnel from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) and U.S. Army Pacific (USARPAC) Saturday ended the Disaster Management Exchange 2018 in Nanjing, eastern China's Jiangsu Province.
- China's J-20 Stealth Fighter to Pursue Targets at Greater Distances – Reports Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The fifth-generation Chinese Chengdu J-20 stealth fighter, which entered military service last year and participated at Airshow China 2018 in Zhuhai, will now be able to strike targets at greater distances, according to Beijing.
- Iran Navy will continue to defend interests in high seas: Commander Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- A senior Iranian commander says the country's naval fleet will continue its presence in the high seas to protect Iran's national interests.
- Netanyahu Says Temporarily Taking Over As Defence Minister Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- Addressing the crisis following the resignation of Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that the coalition would try to avoid early elections.
- US Senator Rand Paul urges Trump to kill Saudi arms deal over Khashoggi murder Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump should cancel arms deals with Saudi Arabia as a punishment over the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi, says top Republican Senator Rand Paul.
- British troops preparing plans to respond to no-deal Brexit Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- The British military is drawing up emergency measures for deploying troops to respond to any chaos caused by Britain crashing out of the European Union without a deal.
- Hard Brexit: UK Prepares to Deploy Troops on Streets Amid 'No-Deal' Chaos Fears Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- A report by The Sunday Times, which cited an unnamed source in the UK's armed forces, came as a draft Brexit deal proposed by UK Prime Minister Theresa May faces significant backlash and opposition even within her Cabinet, having already led to several resignations.
- Belgium Reportedly Plans to Create All-Female Special Forces Unit Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- Since 1975, Belgian women have been serving in the army in peacetime – previously, they could only serve during mobilisation.
- EU Needs Army to Protect Common European Interests – German Defence Minister Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The European Union needs its own army in order to expand the bloc's opportunities to protect the common European interests in case of crisis situations, German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen said.
- Militant shelling attack kills 18 Syrian soldiers in Latakia IRNA 18 Nov 2018 -- Militants attacked on Saturday Syrian troops in the province of Latakia leaving 18 servicemen dead and one more injured, the Russian Center for Syrian reconciliation said.
- Turkey says US support for YPG Kurdish militants in Syria 'big mistake' Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Turkey's foreign minister says it is a "big mistake" for Washington to support the Syrian Kurdish militants of the People's Protection Units (YPG), stressing that the matter has strained relations between the two NATO allies.
- Syrian forces liberate last Daesh holdout in south: Monitor Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Syrian government forces have managed to wrest control over the last holdout of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in the country's south, a UK-based monitoring group says.
- Iraqi airstrikes kill nearly dozen Daesh Takfiri terrorists Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Nearly a dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when Iraqi Air Force fighter jets carried out separate airstrikes against militant hideouts in the country's north-central province of Salahuddin.
- Myanmar police shoot, injure 4 Rohingya in Rakhine state Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Four Rohingya Muslims have been shot and injured by police in Myanmar at a camp in the northwestern state of Rakhine.
- US warns of 'consequences' as Palestine joins international bodies Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- The United States has threatened "consequences" as Palestinians step up efforts for statehood demanding accession to almost a dozen international bodies and conventions.
- Former militia leader from CAR arrives at ICC for trial Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- A former militia leader from the Central African Republic (CAR), nicknamed "Colonel Rambo," has arrived at the International Criminal Court (ICC) headquarters in The Hague to stand trial.
- Return to 1956 Declaration Doesn't Entail Transfer of Kurils to Japan – Kremlin Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The return of Russia and Japan to the 1956 joint declaration on negotiations on a peace treaty does not mean an automatic transfer of Kuril Islands to the Japanese side, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Sunday.
- Trump: 'Probably' Won't Sit for Interview in Russia Investigation VOA 18 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump is declaring that he "probably" won't sit for an in-person interview with special counsel Robert Mueller probing links between his 2016 campaign and Russia, suggesting that his written answers to the prosecutor's questions will be his final response.
- Pence, Xi Sell Differing World Views VOA 18 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Chinese President Xi Jinping offered competing economic views as they spoke to regional leaders at the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO summit in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea's capital.
- APEC leaders fail to reach consensus at end of summit Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Leaders of countries forming the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) have for the first time in the body's history failed to issue a formal declaration at the end of their annual summit, a Chinese official says.
- APEC Leaders Recognize 'Growing Tensions,' Fail To Agree On Summit Communique RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- Asia-Pacific leaders meeting in Papua New Guinea this weekend have been unable to agree on the final communique of a summit overshadowed by trade disputes between the United States and China.
- Iran, Iraq consider using local cash in mutual trade Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Iran says it is discussing a plan with Iraq to switch to dinar in trade instead of the US dollar.
- US set to allege Iran violating chemical weapons treaty Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- In a bid to ratchet up pressure on Tehran, the United States appears to be preparing to level a new allegation against Iran, claiming that country is not abiding by the 1997 Chemical Weapons Convention.
- Russia eyeing settlements with Iran in national currencies Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- Russia says it may launch settlements with Iran in national currencies in order to continue bilateral cooperation despite the US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- Xi calls for inclusive, rule-based world economy at APEC meeting People's Daily 18 Nov 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping stressed the importance of building an open, inclusive, innovative and rule-based world economy while addressing the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) CEO Summit here on Saturday.
- No final conclusion on Khashoggi killing: State Department IRNA 18 Nov 2018 -- The United States government has not reached a final conclusion over Khashoggi's killing, the US State Department has said.
- Who can really know' if bin Salman lied in Khashoggi case, Trump wonders on Fox News Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump is still remaining non-committal about the possibility that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman lied to him when he denied involvement in the assassination of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Trump Says He Won't Listen to Khashoggi 'Suffering Tape' Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- Riyadh has denied claims that the Saudi crown prince or any other member of the royal family was involved in Khashoggi's murder amid media reports that the CIA suspects otherwise. The White House insists that a thorough investigation needs to be concluded before making any claims as to who is responsible.
- Trump: No Plans to Listen to Tape of Khashoggi Killing VOA 18 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has been fully briefed on an audio recording of the killing of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi inside Riyadh's consulate in Istanbul last month, but has no intention of listening to it because of the violence it depicts.
- Khashoggi's Body Parts Possibly Taken Out of Turkey in Suitcases - Minister Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The dismembered body of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi could have been taken out of Turkey, where he was murdered, in suitcases, with those transferring the body taking advantage of their diplomatic immunity, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said.
- Khashoggi's killers flew remains out of Turkey: Turkish def. min. Press TV 18 Nov 2018 -- The killers of dissident Saudi journalist, Jamal Khashoggi, flew his remains out of Turkey after chopping him up and putting him in bags, Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has been quoted as saying.
- Russian Space Freighter Docks With ISS in Automatic Mode Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- The Progress MS-10 space freighter docked on Sunday with the International Space Stations (ISS) in an automatic mode, the Mission Control Center said.
- SpaceX Plans to Upgrade 2nd Stage of Falcon 9 Rocket for Reusability - CEO Sputnik 18 Nov 2018 -- US aerospace manufacturer SpaceX has renounced the idea of upgrading the second stage of its Falcon 9 launch vehicle for its reusability, Elon Musk, SpaceX co-owner and CEO, said on the night into November 18.
- Ukrainian Ex-President Yanukovych Reportedly Injured Ahead Of Kyiv Court Hearing RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- A lawyer for former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych says that the ex-leader will not be able to make a final statement to a Kyiv court in his treason trial because of an injury he reportedly sustained on November 16.
- Moldovan Socialists Kick Off Election Campaign With Chisinau Rally RFE/RL 18 Nov 2018 -- Thousands of people carrying red flags have marched in the streets of the Moldovan capital in support of the main pro-Russian opposition Socialist Party, ahead of next year's parliamentary elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|