13 November 2018 Military News
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing by U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 13 Nov 2018 -- U.K. Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika, Deputy Commander for Strategy and Information, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon Spokesman
- Afghan Officials Say Suspension of Presidential Vote 'Unacceptable' VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- Afghanistan's government says the presidential election will proceed as scheduled on April 20, rejecting a reported U.S. proposal seeking postponement of the democratic process.
- Afghan Taliban Wants What It Hasn't Been Able To Hold: Hazara Regions RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- Tucked in a valley in the remote highlands of central Afghanistan, Jaghori has been a safe haven in recent years for members of the country's beleaguered Hazara minority.
- Army commends JTACs for exceptional mission support in Afghanistan AFNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Two joint terminal attack controllers assigned to the 817th Expeditionary Air Support Operations Squadron were commended by the Army for their achievements in support of joint military operations in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russian Envoy Warns Against Deploying US Missiles to Europe Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The United States is risking triggering "dramatic events" in Europe if the country decides to deploy new missiles to Europe after withdrawing from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty), Russian Ambassador to the European Union Vladimir Chizhov said in an interview with Financial Times, released on Tuesday.
- Falcons undergo facelift AFNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Upon entering a room lined with panels and LED lights, described solely as something out of a science fiction movie, people in polar white suits are ready to re-skin a new beast.
- Remarks By Secretary Mattis in an Enhanced Honor Cordon and Meeting Welcoming Qatari Minister of State for Defense Al-Attiyah to the Pentagon DoD 13 Nov 2018 -- Secretary Of Defense James N. Mattis; Qatar Minister of State for Defense Dr. Khalid Al-Attiyah
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Polish Defense Minister Marius Blaszczak DoD 13 Nov 2018
- Press Gaggle by Secretary Mattis DoD 13 Nov 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Air Force, coalition partners team for first deployed SNCOLC AFNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Airmen from the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing and coalition partners from three different countries recently completed the first ever deployed senior noncommissioned officer leadership course.
- U.S., Qatari Defense Officials Look to Strengthen Partnership AFPS 13 Nov 2018 -- U.S. and Qatari defense officials charted the future of the partnership during discussions in the Pentagon this morning.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Qatari Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Dr. Khalid Al Attiyah DoD 13 Nov 2018
- Former U.S. Navy Captain Pleads Guilty and Former Master Chief Petty Officer Sentenced in Sweeping U.S. Navy Corruption and Fraud Probe US Dept. of Justice 13 Nov 2018 -- A retired U.S. Navy captain pleaded guilty to criminal conflict of interest charges and a former U.S. Navy master chief was sentenced to 17 months in prison today on corruption charges.
- Mission Complete: 24th MEU exercises amphibious capabilities during Trident Juncture 18 USMC News 13 Nov 2018 -- Marines and Sailors from the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit participated in exercise Trident Juncture 18 in Iceland and Norway during October and November, 2018. Trident Juncture is the largest NATO exercise held since 2002 and allowed for military forces to operate in a collective defense scenario.
- CARAT Exercise Kicks off with US, Brunei Navies NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. and Royal Brunei Navies commenced the 24th annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) maritime exercise at Muara Naval Base, Brunei, Nov. 12.
- USS Ashland continues FEMA support to CNMI NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- The amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) departed Guam with Soldiers and heavy equipment from the 9th Mission Support Company (9th MSC), Guam Army National Guard to provide continued support to the island of Saipan Nov. 11.
- Iwo Jima Arrives in Oslo, Norway NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- More than 2,500 Sailors and Marines aboard the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) arrived in Oslo, Norway Nov. 13, 2018 for a scheduled port visit.
- NBU 7, JMSDF Conduct Integrated Training NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Naval Beach Unit (NBU) 7 conducted a landing craft, air cushion (LCAC) interoperability exchange with the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force in Sasebo, Japan on November 8.
- Construction Begins on Future USS Patrick Gallagher NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- The construction of the future USS Patrick Gallagher (DDG 127) is officially underway at General Dynamics Bath Iron Works (BIW) shipyard.
- Patrol Squadron 16 Participates in Tri-Lateral Submarine Exercise NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Patrol Squadron (VP) 16 participated in a tri-lateral submarine exercise in the waters north of Colombia with partner nation navies from Colombia and Peru, from Nov. 1 to 6.
- Truman Arrives in Lisbon, Portugal NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- After more than a month operating in the North Atlantic, including participating in NATO Exercise Trident Juncture 2018, the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) anchored off the coast of Lisbon, Portugal, Nov. 10 for a scheduled port visit.
- USS Bulkeley Returns to Norfolk Following Deployment NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- Guided-missile destroyer USS Bulkeley (DDG 84) returned to Naval Station Norfolk following a seven-month deployment to the Navy's U.S. 6th Fleet area of responsibility, Nov. 11.
- USS New York Completes Trident Juncture NNS 13 Nov 2018 -- San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS New York (LPD 21) completed exercise Trident Juncture 18, Nov. 7.
- Norway Blames Russia for Disrupting GPS Signal During NATO Drill Wrap-Up Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- As NATO's largest collective defence exercise since the Cold War, which goes by the name Trident Juncture, was drawing to an end, pilots in Norway and Finland partaking in the wargames reported a number of disruptions to GPS signals in their countries' northern regions.
- Joining Finland, Norway Says Russia May Have Jammed GPS Signal In Arctic RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- The Norwegian Defense Ministry says Russian forces in the Arctic disturbed GPS location signals during a recent large NATO drill in Norway.
- Trump Slams France, Macron, Demands NATO Countries 'Pay Up' RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has taken to Twitter to criticize France, directly mocking President Emmanuel Macron and once again bringing up his demand that NATO allies "pay up."
- NATO drills fallout: Norwegian frigate almost underwater after oil tanker collision RT 13 Nov 2018-- The Norwegian Navy frigate that tried and failed to return home after parading its might in NATO war games is almost completely submerged under water after colliding with an oil tanker.
- New PHOTOS Show Shipwrecked Norwegian Frigate Sink Further After NATO Drills Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- Experts estimate that up to 80 percent of the equipment of the shipwrecked frigate, which cost the Norwegian Navy almost its entire annual budget, will have to be replaced.
- NATO Leads New Mission to Develop Iraq's Defense Institutions AFPS 13 Nov 2018 -- A new NATO-led mission in Iraq will work to further develop Iraq's security institutions and structures, British Army Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika told Pentagon reporters here today.
- Russia's Admiral Kuznetsov Has No Serious Damage After Crane Mishap – Ministry Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- Russia's Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier was not significantly damaged when a crane fell on it during repairs in October, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Alexey Krivoruchko stated.
- India Confident US Will Grant Waivers on S-400 Deal with Russia – Reports Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- India will keep the Trump administration informed when the contract for the purchase of Russian S-400 air defence missile systems is concluded and paid.
- China, US begin joint humanitarian assistance drill in Nanjing People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- Chinese and the US armed forces started an eight-day joint humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR) drill on Monday in Nanjing, east China's Jiangsu Province.
- NATO Chief Worried About China Developing New Nukes Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The US announced in October that it would leave the Intermediate Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty in the near future. President Donald Trump later suggested that the existing treaty should be expanded to include China.
- Chinese Air Force Plans to Expand Presence in Outer Space - Ministry Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army Air Force intends to increase its presence in space as part of a plan to create world-class strategic aviation, the Chinese Defense Ministry said in a statement.
- PLA Air Force plans expansion into space to modernize capability People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army Air Force intends to expand its presence into space as part of its plan to become a world-class force, a senior officer said on Sunday.
- Sanctions have no impact on Iran's military power: Commander IRNA 13 Nov 2018 -- Navy Commander Brigadier General Hossein Khanzadi stressed the ineffectiveness of enemies' threats, saying that though Iran has been subject to various sanctions since the victory of the Islamic Revolution, sanctions have not affected its military might.
- Trump says US aware of all North Korean nuclear work Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- President Donald Trump has denied that North Korea was moving ahead with its nuclear weapons program and said that the United States is aware of undeclared North Korean missile bases revealed by US researchers.
- South Korea rejects report on North's 'undeclared missile sites' Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- South Korea has dismissed a new report by a United States-based think tank that accused North Korea of being engaged in "deception" based on purported commercial satellite images that it said showed a number of "undeclared missile operating bases" inside the country.
- North Korea, North Korea, Missile ... During close watch" Radio Free Asia 13 Nov 2018-- BUG: the A South Korean government official says it is monitoring and tracking major missile-handling sites in North Korea.
- Trump Calls NY Times Report on N Korea Developing Missile Bases 'Inaccurate' Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- President Donald Trump in a statement on Tuesday said the New York Times report regarding North Korea moving forward with its ballistic missile program at secret sites does not contain anything new.
- Experts: Cancellation of US-N. Korea Meeting Suggests Snag in Talks VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- The abrupt cancellation of high-level talks between the United States and North Korea suggests denuclearization negotiations between Washington and Pyongyang have hit a snag, experts said.
- Trump: Report of N. Korean Missile Bases 'Fake News' VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has weighed in on a report that North Korea has at least 13 undeclared bases capable of hiding missiles, calling the report "fake news."
- Department Press Briefing - November 13, 2018 US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2018
- 13 November 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Nov 2018
- US Voices Opposition to China's Military Steps in South China Sea Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The United States wants Beijing to withdraw its missiles from the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, US officials announced during talks at the state department.
- 'We Will Not Seek Hegemony': Beijing Expects South China Sea Rulebook in 3 Years Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- Prior to attending the 33rd summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), Chinese Premier Li Keqiang announced on Tuesday that China is hoping to complete negotiations on a code of conduct for the South China Sea region in three years.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Agrees to Evacuate Injured Houthis From Yemen - UK Office Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The Saudi-led coalition, supporting the Yemeni internationally-recognized government in the civil conflict with the Houthis, has agreed to allow the UN to evacuate up to 50 injured rebels to neighbouring Oman after the visit of UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt to Saudi Arabia and the UAE, the UK Foreign Office said.
- Counselor Al-Mansour: The process of assessing incidents is based on established norms and standards in the international humanitarian law system SPA 13 Nov 2018 -- Official Spokesman for the Joint Incident Assessment Team (JIAT) in Yemen, Counselor Mansour Al-Mansour, confirmed that the team, through the Operations Department and its legal Counselors, follows a legal methodology in the evaluation process based on the principles and standards adopted in the international humanitarian law system.
- 'Iran deeply concerned over humanitarian situation in Yemen' ISNA 13 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi has expressed the Islamic Republic's deep concern over the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen, saying that the world today must shoulder the historical responsibility of ending the catastrophe in the war-torn country.
- UN aid chief demands cessation of hostilities around Yemen's Hudaydah Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock, has called for a ceasefire around of Hudaydah, where Saudi-backed militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and foreign mercenaries are fighting Houthi Ansarullah fighters for the control of the western Yemeni port city.
- Warplanes target main entrance to Yemen's port city of Hudaydah Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- The military coalition led by the Saudi regime has carried out airstrikes targeting the main entrance to Yemen's western port city of Hudaydah, some five months after coalition forces, backed by armed militia loyal to the former Yemeni government, launched a full-scale offensive to seize the vital port.
- 60 civilians killed or wounded in fresh coalition aggression IRNA 13 Nov 2018 -- Civil sources told SANA on Monday that a fresh aggression by the US-led international coalition on al-Sha'afa village in Deir Ezzor eastern countryside claimed the lives and injured more than 60 civilians.
- US-led aircraft evacuate Daesh terrorists from eastern Syria: Report Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- The US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has airlifted to safe sanctuaries several members of the foreign-sponsored terror outfit from regions in Syria's eastern provinces of Hasakah and Dayr al-Zawr.
- US-led coalition strikes kill several Syrian civilians in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- Over 60 civilians have lost their lives or sustained injuries when the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group carried out a number of aerial attacks in Syria's troubled eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr.
- Daesh militant attack on Hashd Sha'abi cmdr. home in western Iraq leaves 9 dead Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- At least nine people have been killed after Daesh Takfiri terrorists broke into the house of a commander of pro-government fighters from the Popular Mobilization Units in Iraq's western province of Anbar as army troopers, backed by their allies, are trying to flush the last remnants of the foreign-sponsored terror group out of the crisis-hit Arab country.
- Turkey's fighter jets kill 19 PKK militants in northern Iraq Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- Turkish warplanes have killed 19 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in northern Iraq.
- Palestinian Militants Declare Ceasefire With Israel Amid Gaza Escalation Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The hostilities on the Israeli-Gaza border resumed after the Palestinian militants launched rocket attacks at Israel in revenge for seven militants killed during an Israeli special forces operation at the weekend.
- Palestinians Agree to Ceasefire if Israel Does VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- The Palestinian militant group Hamas said Tuesday it will accept an Egyptian-mediated ceasefire agreement if Israel does the same.
- Hamas threatens to target 'millions' of Israelis as its TV station HQ in Gaza destroyed Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- The headquarters of Al-Aqsa TV station run by the Palestinian resistance movement Hamas was razed to the ground on Monday in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza amid a fresh round of violence in the besieged enclave, which the world blames on the Israeli forces.
- Ukraine ready to counter possible Russia's "aggressive actions" in Black Sea: defense chief People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- Ukrainian Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak said his country stands prepared to counter possible Russia's "aggressive actions" in the Black Sea, Ukrainian Defense Ministry said on Monday.
- Palermo Conference on Libya US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2018 -- The United States welcomes the conclusions announced by the Government of Italy following the November 12-13 conference on Libya in Palermo, which brought Libyan and international leaders together to advance our shared goal of helping Libya's institutions break their political deadlock and ensure a secure and prosperous future for all Libyans.
- Tripoli Asks UN to Unfreeze Libyan Assets to Avoid Depreciation - Minister Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), headquartered in Tripoli, is asking the United Nations to unfreeze Libyan assets to avoid depreciation, Ali Issawi, the GNA's economy and industry minister, told journalists on the sidelines of the Palermo Conference for Libya.
- 'NATO Wasn't at the Table': Stoltenberg Says Europe Initiated Libya Intervention Sputnik 13 Nov 2018 -- Libya has been beset by chaos, joining the list of failed states, since its longtime leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi was overthrown following an intervention by a coalition of Western nations.
- ASEAN drafts statement in response to Rakhine violence, urges accountability Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- Southeast Asian nations are set to call for those responsible for atrocities against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar's Rakhine state to be held "fully accountable."
- US Reiterates Commitment to Help Myanmar's Rohingya VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- The United States says it will continue efforts to support Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya minority through humanitarian aid and diplomacy.
- Building climate resilience and peace, go hand in hand for Africa's Sahel – UN forum UN News 13 Nov 2018 -- To build a sustainable peace in Africa's Sahel region, "urgent attention" is needed to mitigate the effects of climate change, and ensure that communities have access to sufficient opportunities, a joint meeting between the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and the UN Peacebuilding Commission highlighted on Tuesday.
- Verdicts Due in Trial Against 2 Khmer Rouge Leaders VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- The Khmer Rouge tribunal is to announce verdicts on Friday against the two senior surviving regime officials, Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan, for crimes against humanity and genocide committed under the totalitarian regime.
- U.S. Official: Russia Shouldn't Be Permitted To Use Energy As Weapon RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- Russia has historically used energy as a weapon and that continues today, making energy diversification crucial for Central and Eastern Europe, U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has said.
- Ex-Intel Officials Worry Trump Still Doing Russia's Dirty Work VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- Flying to Paris on Friday to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, U.S. President Donald Trump sent out a tweet that may have been business as usual at the White House but sent shivers down the spines of some of this country's intelligence and security officials:
- Trump Assails France, Macron in Salvo of Tweets VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump launched verbal assaults Tuesday on France and President Emmanuel Macron, citing his low voter approval ratings and attacking French tariffs on U.S. wine exports and failure to meet NATO's defense spending goal.
- IAEA: Iran conducts enrichment activities under JCPOA limitations IRNA 13 Nov 2018 -- Based on the latest report of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran has conducted its enrichment activities in line with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Sanctions blessings in disguise: Iran minister IRNA 13 Nov 2018 -- Iran's defense minister said Tuesday the newly imposed sanctions on Iran would make the country more self-sufficient in the field of defense.
- US to squeeze Iranians 'very hard': John Bolton Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- US National Security Adviser John Bolton says his country will keep up pressure on Iran after imposing new sanctions on the Islamic Republic early this month.
- Xi urges HK, Macao to embrace nation's reform, opening-up for greater development People's Daily 13 Nov 2018 -- President Xi Jinping on Monday voiced the hope that Hong Kong and Macao will further develop themselves by embracing the nation's cause of reform and opening-up.
- Trump expresses concern over Saudi oil output decrease Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has expressed concern over the Saudi decision to decrease its oil output in December, requesting oil prices to remain low.
- Saudi Arabia, Citing Iranian Sanctions Waivers, Moves To Prop Up Oil Prices RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has announced a major cut in oil production to rebalance global markets and prop up plunging oil prices, citing U.S. sanctions waivers that are enabling Iran to keep exporting oil to most of its top customers.
- Recording links Saudi crown prince to Khashoggi assassination: Report Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- A phone call recording collected by the Turkish intelligence links the brutal murder of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi to the kingdom's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, known as MbS, The New York Times reports.
- Erdogan Ups Pressure on Riyadh Over Khashoggi VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan continues to ratchet up pressure on Riyadh over last month's killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.
- Lebanese army forces detain man suspected of providing intelligence to Israel Press TV 13 Nov 2018 -- The Lebanese Army's intelligence branch has arrested a man suspected of spying for Israel's Mossad spy agency and collaboration with Israeli authorities as he was attempting to cross the southern border into occupied Palestinian territories.
- Rewards for Justice - Reward Offer for Information on Hamas and Hizballah Key Leaders US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. Department of State's Rewards for Justice Program is offering rewards of up to $5 million each for information leading to the identification or location of Hamas leader Salih al-Aruri and Lebanese Hizballah leaders Khalil Yusif Mahmoud Harb and Haytham 'Ali Tabataba'i.
- State Department Terrorist Designations of Jawad Nasrallah, al-Mujahidin Brigades, and Hizballah US Dept. of State 13 Nov 2018 -- The Department of State has designated Jawad Nasrallah and Al-Mujahidin Brigades (AMB) as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) under Section 1(b) of Executive Order 13224, which imposes sanctions on foreign persons who have committed, or pose a significant risk of committing, acts of terrorism that threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security, foreign policy, or economy of the United States.
- Treasury Sanctions Key Hizballah, IRGC-QF Networks in Iraq US Treasury 13 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action today to target four Hizballah-affiliated individuals who lead and coordinate the group's operational, intelligence, and financial activities in Iraq. Specifically, OFAC designated Shibl Muhsin 'Ubayd Al-Zaydi, Yusuf Hashim, Adnan Hussein Kawtharani, and Muhammad 'Abd-Al-Hadi Farhat as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- Trial of Drug Kingpin 'El Chapo' Begins in New York VOA 13 Nov 2018 -- Opening statements have begun in the high-security trial of notorious Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Romania 'Backtracking' On Rule Of Law, EU Report Warns RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- Not only has Romania stalled in its fight against corruption, but it's also falling back on judicial reforms, the European Commission says, urging Bucharest to immediately reverse anticorruption moves and restore judicial independence.
- Macedonia Will Seek Arrest In Hungary of Ex-PM Gruevski RFE/RL 13 Nov 2018 -- Macedonia's Interior Ministry says it will seek the arrest of conservative former Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski on an international warrant after confirming he fled to Hungary to avoid serving a two-year prison sentence for corruption.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|