11 November 2018 Military News
- Dozens Die In Afghanistan's Ghazni Province RFE/RL 11 Nov 2018 -- Afghan officials say 15 civilians and 10 elite force members have been killed in Ghazni Province, as a days-long battle continued November 11.
- Taliban militants kill 25 civilians, govt. forces in Afghanistan's Ghazni Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Taliban militants have killed at least 25 civilians and government forces in Afghanistan's central east province of Ghazni, a week after the militant group seized control of an important security post outside the provincial capital in a deadly attack on Afghan soldiers.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Navy Creates Aggressor Training Unit to Mimic Russian, Chinese Submarines Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- The US Navy wants to create a version of the TOPGUN program, but for submarines.
- Russia Hopes to Restore Full-Fledged Negotiations With US on INF Treaty - Putin Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- Russia Tries Not to Hold Large-Scale Military Drills Near NATO Countries' Borders
- Secretary General joins world leaders in Paris to commemorate the end of the First World War NATO 11 Nov 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg is taking part in a ceremony of remembrance in Paris on Sunday (11 November 2018) for the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. Mr. Stoltenberg joined other world leaders at the Arc de Triomphe to mark the exact moment that the guns fell silent, ending four terrible years of conflict. Speaking after the ceremony, Mr. Stoltenberg said, "today, we stand together in remembrance of all the lives lost in World War One, and we pay tribute to all those who serve. Let us never take peace and freedom for granted."
- Macron: Europe should not spend big budget on US-made weapons Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says Europe should not spend big military budgets on US-manufactured weapons, following a defense row he had with American President Donald Trump.
- US, French president agree on defense after row over call for European army Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has reportedly reached consensus with his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, on the need for more European military spending despite an earlier Trump tweet that had slammed Macron's recent call for a European army without reliance on the US as "very insulting."
- UK military could be used in the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Britain's armed forces are preparing for contingency plans to prevent a crisis if the country leaves the European Union in March without a deal that could guarantee a smooth withdrawal.
- Britain's Armed Forces Making Plans for 'No Deal' Brexit - Defence Official Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- Addressing the issue, chief of Britain's defence staff General Sir Nicholas Carter noted earlier that the British Armed Forces were making "sensible" contingency plans for Brexit and other matters.
- Iraqi MPs plan motion to seek expulsion of US troops Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- A senior Iraqi politician says the Iraqi parliament will discuss the withdrawal of US forces from the country amid rising unease at Washington's meddling in Baghdad's internal affairs.
- Norway, Finland Report GPS Signal Loss, Media Claim Russians May Have Done it Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- The reports came during the wrap-up phase of NATO's largest collective defence exercise since the Cold War, called Trident Juncture, which involved 50,000 troops, 10,000 military vehicles, 140 combat aircraft and 70 ships.
- Su-57 Head Developer Explains Why Russian Stealth Jet is Better Than F-22, F-35 Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- The fifth generation fighter will be supplied to the Russia Air Force in 2018-2019 as a replacement for the Su-27 Flanker, developed in the final decades of the Soviet Union.
- When nations work together, hope prevails and collective solutions can be found - UN chief tells Peace Forum, marking World War centenary in Paris UN News 11 Nov 2018 -- From conflict and economic downturn to disease and climate change, global problems require "more than ever" a strengthening of international cooperation, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres told world leaders at the Paris Peace Forum on Sunday, commemorating 100 years since the end of the First World War.
- Yemeni drone unit targets aggressors in western Yemen IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Yemeni drone and artillery units in a joint operation targeted Saudi aggressors and mercenaries in western Yemen, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemen calls on UN to help halt raids on lifeline port IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights on Sunday said the United Nations and the Security Council are responsible for the Saudi crimes in Yemen, condemning continuation of attacks by the Riyadh-led coalition on al-Hudaydah Port.
- Saudi aggressors defeated in western Yemen IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Despite deploying equipment and forces enough for occupying 10 countries, Saudi aggressors have been defeated in west coast of Yemen, Yemeni defense minister announced.
- Saudi-led invaders face stiff resistance in push to seize Hudaydah Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Yemeni officials say a massive Saudi push against Hudaydah on the west coast of Yemen has been defeated, with a number of Sudanese mercenaries killed or captured.
- Yemeni FM, Russian ambassador discuss developments of Yemen political process SPA 11 Nov 2018 -- Yemen's Foreign Minister Khalid Alyemany discussed with the Russian ambassador to Yemen Vladimir Didushkin the developments of the political process in Yemen.
- Dissenter Minister of Information From Houthi Militias: Iran-backed Houthi Militias Committed heinous Crimes Against Yemeni People SPA 11 Nov 2018 -- Dissenter Minister of Information of the so-called political council of the Houthi coup government Abdulsalam Ali Jaber, stressed that Coup Militias backed by Iran have committed heinous crimes against the people of Yemen since 21 September 2014 up to now attempting to impose their hegemony and implementing a malicious agenda against the Yemeni people.
- Fighting Breaks Out in Streets of Key Yemen Port VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- Fighting has broken out in the streets of Yemen's key port Hodeidah between Iran-backed Houthi rebels and Saudi-led coalition forces.
- Militant shelling kills 6 Syrian soldiers in Hama:Russia MoD IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- A total of six Syrian servicemen were killed, while five others were injured in the attacks in Syria's western-central province of Hama, the Russian Defense Ministry said late on Saturday.
- Militant Shelling Kills at Least 6 Syrian Soldiers in Hama – Russian MoD Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- A total of six Syrian servicemen were killed, while five others were injured in the attacks in Syria's western-central province of Hama, the Russian Defense Ministry said late on Saturday.
- Iraqi Hashd Sha'abi forces foil Daesh infiltration attempt into Syria Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Pro-government Iraqi fighters from Popular Mobilization Units have successfully managed to thwart an attempt by members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group to sneak through the desert areas of the country's western province of Anbar into Dayr al-Zawr province in neighboring Syria.
- Myanmar ready for Rohingya repatriation, officials say Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Myanmar´s government says it will soon start repatriating persecuted Rohingya Muslim refugees to their home country, where they fled state-sponsored brutal military violence.
- Airstrikes kill over dozen Kurdish PKK terrorists in northern Iraq Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Turkish military aircraft have "neutralized" more than a dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of airstrikes against terrorist hideouts in Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
- Statement by the NATO Spokesperson on the reported elections in eastern Ukraine NATO 11 Nov 2018 -- NATO does not recognise the reported elections held on 11 November in the self-proclaimed and unrecognised "Luhansk People's Republic" and "Donetsk People's Republic." They run contrary to the letter and spirit of the Minsk Agreements and undermine efforts towards a peaceful resolution of the conflict.
- Ethnic Russians holding elections in eastern Ukraine Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine are holding elections to choose parliament members and a new leader, amid fresh clashes that have reportedly left two Ukrainian soldiers dead.
- Macron, Merkel, Join International Chorus Condemning Separatist Vote In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 11 Nov 2018 -- France and Germany have called elections by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine "illegal and illegitimate," joining a chorus of international criticism over the vote.
- Israel assassinates Hamas commanders in sting op. Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Israeli special forces infiltrate the Gaza Strip, assassinating a top Hamas commander, while subsequent Israeli airstrikes kill five others, including another commander with the Palestinian resistance movement.
- Netanyahu Cuts Short Paris Trip Amid Gaza Violence VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is cutting short his visit to Paris to return home after an outbreak of violence in Gaza.
- Somalia: UN Security Council condemns terrorist attack in which dozens were killed or injured UN News 11 Nov 2018 -- The members of the United Nations Security Council, on Saturday, condemned "in the strongest possible terms" Friday's car bomb attack in Somalia, in which dozens of innocent women, children and men were killed or injured, and reiterated that any acts of terrorism are "criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed".
- Death Toll Rises in Mogadishu Blasts VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- The death toll from Friday's car bomb blasts in Somalia's capital has climbed to 52, according to admission records from five hospitals.
- Centenary of End of WWI Marked With Paris Ceremony VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- At the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month -- precisely 100 years after fighting halted in the first world war -- leaders from more than 60 nations -- the majority of countries that sent troops or workers to the Western Front -- gathered at the Arc de Triomphe to remember the millions who died in the conflict.
- Trump draws fire for not going to WWI cemetery due to rain Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has come under attack after he cancelled a visit to a World War I memorial cemetery in France on Saturday because of the rain.
- Democrats Vow to Protect Mueller's Russia Investigation VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- Key U.S. Democratic lawmakers vowed Sunday they would try to protect the investigation of President Donald Trump's 2016 campaign's links to Russia from interference by his new acting attorney general, Matthew Whitaker, who often attacked the probe before Trump named him to oversee it.
- Austria Suspects Domestic Intelligence Officer Spied for Russia - Report Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- The report comes amid an ongoing espionage scandal between Moscow and Vienna. The Austrian prime minister earlier announced that a retired army colonel is suspected of spying for Russia for around 20 years. In response, Russia slammed Vienna for publicising 'unfounded accusations' instead of using diplomatic channels to clarify the situation.
- EU says stepping up efforts to save JCPOA IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) once again reaffirmed Iran's full compliance with its commitments under the 2015 landmark nuclear deal.
- 4 Iranian banks removed from US sanctions list ISNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Senior manager of Middle East Bank for Compliance and Anti-Money Laundering department, Farzaneh Rajaei-Salmasi explained details of removing four Iranian banks and financial institutions from US secondary sanctions list.
- FM Zarif says Iran will not just survive but advance ISNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif condemned US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo's open threat to starve the Iranian nation as a crime against humanity.
- Iranian nation foils US plots again with their steadfastness, resistance ISNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Speaking after the meeting of the heads of the three branches, Iranian President said, "The people of Iran foiled the plots of the United States once again with their steadfastness and resistance".
- Iranian, French FMs hold phone conversation ISNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif and his French counterpart, Jean-Yves Le Drian held a phone conversation.
- Good relations with Iran in Iraq's best interests: President Salih Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Iraq's newly elected president says it is in his country's best interests to have "good and stable relations" with Iran, urging the United States to consider Baghdad's political and economic position in talks about imposed sanctions on Iran.
- Sanctions will fail to hinder Iran's progress: AEOI chief Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi says sanctions will fail to stop the country's progress in different fields.
- Iran sells 700,000 barrels in second oil auction through Energy Bourse Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Iran on Sunday went ahead with a second public sale of its light crude oil to international clients through its Energy Bourse in a policy meant to dodge US sanctions and sell the strategic fuel to direct buyers.
- Top Saudis discussed assassinating Iran's General Soleimani in 2017, sources tell NY Times Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Major General Ahmed al-Assiri, who has allegedly been fired over killing of Jamal Khashoggi, took part at a meeting in Riyadh in 2017 that involved plans to assassinate the kingdom's "determined enemy," Iran's Major General Qassem Soleimani as well as sabotaging Iran's economy, The New York Times reports, citing three sources familiar with the matter.
- Pompeo Expects Saudis to Punish Those Responsible for Khashoggi Murder Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Sunday called on Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to punish those responsible for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, US Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert said.
- Jamal Khashoggi's Last Words Revealed - Reports Sputnik 11 Nov 2018 -- Over the weekend, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a televised speech that Ankara had given recordings of the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi to Saudi Arabia, the United States, France, the UK and Germany.
- Secretary Pompeo's Call With Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman US Dept. of State 11 Nov 2018
- Erdogan says shared recordings on Khashoggi killing IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- Turkish media stated earlier that Ankara had obtained the recordings during its own investigation into the murder of the Saudi journalist in Istanbul.
- DRC says Ebola outbreak worst in country's recorded history IRNA 11 Nov 2018 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is facing its worst Ebola outbreak in the country's recorded history, health officials have said.
- Deadly Ebola Outbreak Erupts in DRC VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- An outbreak of Ebola in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed more than 200 people. Almost 300 Ebola cases have been confirmed since the outbreak began in August, authorities say.
- Radical Islam Blamed for Terror Strike in Australia VOA 11 Nov 2018 -- Australian investigators say a Somali-born man who stabbed bystanders in the center of Melbourne on Friday had been "inspired" and "radicalized" by the militant group calling itself Islamic State. Hassan Khalif Shire Ali was shot by police and died later in a hospital.
- Bahrain jails more activists ahead of elections this month Press TV 11 Nov 2018 -- Bahrain has given jail terms, ranging from three to 10 years, to six more anti-regime activists a week after sentencing opposition leader Sheikh Ali Salman and two of his colleagues to life in prison.
- The Gas Man Cometh: In Turkmenistan, Free Energy No More RFE/RL 11 Nov 2018 -- As Turkmenistan prepares to put an end to the era of free energy, authorities in the country's capital are banging on doors to make sure citizens are prepared to pay.
- OPEC, Non-Cartel Partners Suggest Production Cuts To Come RFE/RL 11 Nov 2018 -- OPEC and other large oil producers, including Russia, are suggesting they could cut supplies next year due to a predicted glut of oil on world markets.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|