07 November 2018 Military News
- US Forces Hit Al-Qaeda in Yemen With 2 Unreported Airstrikes in September Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- US armed forces carried out two previously unreported air strikes against al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) targets in Yemen in September, Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a press release on Tuesday, raising its tally of strikes for the month to 36.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 1st Cavalry Division puts a Shadow in the sky Army News 07 Nov 2018 -- The RQ-7B Shadow tactical unmanned aircraft system's engine roared as it slingshots off a mobile launch ramp at Horsemen Flight Landing Strip in Trzebien, Poland, Nov. 2 and into the bright horizon during another day of training for Soldiers assigned to Delta Company, 91st Brigade Engineer Battalion, 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division.
- Guam National Guard, Navy join forces for relief efforts Army News 07 Nov 2018 -- Naval Beach Unit (NBU) 7 and the 1224th Engineering Support Company, Guam Army National Guard worked together to load heavy equipment vehicles onto the amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) for transport to Saipan in support of disaster relief efforts after Super Typhoon Yutu Nov. 6.
- 31st MEU spearheads multi-service, FEMA-led Yutu response on Tinian – USS Ashland arrives USMC News 07 Nov 2018 -- Marines with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit are in the lead for Task Group Tinian, consisting of several hundred service members belonging to each branch of the U.S. military. The joint force, led by U.S. Marine Col. Robert "Bams" Brodie, is executing crisis-response in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's efforts to assist the U.S. citizens of Tinian, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, recover from Super Typhoon Yutu, Nov. 3, 2018.
- Secretary General's Special Representative for Women, Peace and Security visits NATO's KFOR Mission NATO 07 Nov 2018 -- Clare Hutchinson, Special Representative for Women, Peace and Security, visited NATO's peace-keeping mission in Kosovo (KFOR) on Wednesday (7 November 2018). Ms. Hutchinson discussed the promotion of the Women, Peace and Security agenda with the commander of KFOR, Major General Salvatore Cuoci. The commander briefed the Special Representative on the many initiatives to ensure a gender perspective is incorporated across all KFOR operations and training.
- Crown Prince of Norway Visits Iwo Jima NNS 07 Nov 2018 -- His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon, crown prince of Norway, visited Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) Nov. 7.
- Guam National Guard, Navy Join Forces for Relief Efforts in Saipan NNS 07 Nov 2018 -- Naval Beach Unit (NBU) 7 and the 1224th Engineering Support Company, Guam Army National Guard worked together to load heavy equipment vehicles onto amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) for transport to Saipan in support of Task Force-West (TF-W) disaster relief efforts after Super Typhoon Yutu, Nov. 6.
- Commander, Task Force 72 Participates in Keen Sword 2019 NNS 07 Nov 2018 -- Patrol Squadron (VP) 46, VP-16 and VP-47 are currently participating in exercise Keen Sword 2019 (KS19) within the U.S. 7th Fleet (C7F) area of operations Oct. 29–Nov. 8.
- All Thump, No Boom: NASA Tests Quiet Supersonic Flights Off US Coast Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- This week, NASA started launching supersonic research flights off the Texas Gulf Coast near Galveston to test how the community responds to the noise from aircraft that travel faster than the speed of sound. Their research could eventually cut cross-country commercial flight times in half.
- NATO Begins Anakonda-2018 Drills in Poland Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- NATO's major military drills, dubbed Anakonda-2018 and involving troops from 10 countries, will begin Wednesday in Poland.
- Russian State Missile Firm's CEO 'Funnels Business' To Hairstylist Daughter RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman sought to cast doubt on a newspaper's allegations of top-level corruption at Tactical Missiles Corporation, the state-controlled weapons manufacturer known as KTRV.
- Russia Deploys Frigate Carrying Kalibr Cruise Missiles to Mediterranean Sea Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- The warship will reinforce the Russian flotilla already deployed in the Mediterranean.
- S Korean Military Endorses Plan to Procure US PAC-3 MSE Interceptors - Reports Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- The South Korean military approved Wednesday a plan to purchase dozens of US Patriot Advanced Capability (PAC)-3 Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) interceptors in a bid to strengthen the country's defense capabilities, the Yonhap news agency reported on Wednesday.
- J-20, J10-B jets dazzle spectators at China Airshow People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- A pair of Chinese fighter jets - the J-20 stealth fighter and a thrust-vectoring J-10B demonstrator aircraft - put on an impressive demonstration at Airshow China 2018 on Tuesday, confirming that the country's military aviation technology is advancing at a greatly accelerated pace.
- Saudi Arabian Military Industries and Navantia Launch SAMI Navantia Naval Industries SPA 07 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabian Military Industries (SAMI) and Navantia S.A. announced the launch of their joint venture, 'SAMI Navantia Naval Industries,' following the agreement signed by both parties to design and build 5 Avante 2200 corvettes with Combat Management System for the Ministry of Defense of Saudi Arabia. The realization of this deal came about during the visit of His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Vice President of the Council of Ministers and Minister of Defense, to the Spanish capital, Madrid, in April this year.
- Moscow, Riyadh in Talks on S-400 Delivery Date – Saudi Envoy Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- Russia and Saudi Arabia are discussing a date for the agreed delivery of S-400 air defense systems to Riyadh, the Saudi ambassador said Tuesday.
- 'Real European Army': Macron's Initiative is Taking Shape Step by Step Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron continues to push ahead with the idea to reduce dependence on the US and NATO and create an EU defence force. Macron's recent statement has received support from the European Commission and criticism from the UK. However, step-by-step the EU military force is taking shape.
- Department Press Briefing - November 7, 2018 US Dept. of State 07 Nov 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Conference After Midterm Elections The White House 07 Nov 2018
- 7 November 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 07 Nov 2018
- International crime gangs amass 'staggering' profits in conflict zones, expert tells Security Council UN News 07 Nov 2018 -- During a Tuesday briefing to the Security Council, Tuesday Reitano, Deputy Director of the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organized Crime, described the problem as a "global and accelerating phenomenon, and a threat to international peace and security," that, in conflict areas alone, is generating around $31.5 billion in illicit profits.
- Yemeni Army Defeats Houthi's Militias, in Several Areas Eastward of Hodeidah SPA 07 Nov 2018 -- Yemeni National Army managed here today to defeat Iranian-backed Houthi militias, in several areas eastward of the city of Hodeidah.
- Yemen condemns Saudi airstrikes on civilian structures in Hudyadah Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Yemen has condemned an ongoing wave of Saudi air raids targeting civilian structures including grain silos in the port city of Hudaydah, a lifeline for millions of people in the impoverished country.
- Aid Groups Plead Safe Passage for Yemenis Trapped in Hodeida VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- International aid groups pled Wednesday for the residents of a Yemeni port city trapped between warring government forces and Iranian-backed rebels to be allowed safe passage out of the crossfire.
- UN: 400,000 Malnourished Children at Risk of Dying in War-Torn Yemen VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- U.N. agencies warn hundreds of thousands of severely malnourished children in war-torn Yemen could die because of food shortages and lack of money to provide life-saving therapeutic treatment.
- Israel threatens to target Russia-manned S-300s in Syria Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- The Israeli regime has threatened to hit the Russia-made S-300 missile defense launchers in Syria, even those manned by the Russian military itself, should the launchers target Tel Aviv's warplanes.
- Syrian troops discover new caches of US-built munitions in ex-terrorist redoubts Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Syrian army forces have uncovered new caches of British and US-made munitions, including machine guns, sniper rifles, anti-tank missiles as well as mortar rounds, used by foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants in the country's southwestern provinces of Rif Dimashq and Quneitra.
- 'Who Will Control Them?' US 'Very Concerned' About S-300s in Syria - Envoy Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- Earlier, an Israeli official called Russia's S-300 deliveries to Syria "a big mistake" and warned that Israel would target the air defenses if they fired on Israeli jets. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov warned Israel that new attacks in Syria would not resolve Tel Aviv's security concerns, but only serve to increase regional tensions.
- Rohingya still face 'persecution' in Myanmar: UN envoy Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- The United Nations (UN)'s special envoy to Myanmar has urged Bangladesh to drop plans for a hasty repatriation of hundreds of Rohingya Muslim refugees to their homeland, where they are still facing a "high risk of persecution."
- Halt 'rushed plans' to return Rohingyas to Myanmar, pleads UN expert fearing repeated abuses UN News 07 Nov 2018 -- A United Nations human rights expert has implored Bangladesh to shelve "rushed plans" to repatriate Rohingya refugees back across the border into Myanmar's Rakhine State for fear that without safety guarantees from the Burmese Government, persecution and horrific violence could begin all over again.
- Trump Blames Obama 'Regime' For Ukraine's Loss Of Crimea RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump blamed the "regime" of former President Barack Obama for Ukraine's loss of its Crimean Peninsula, which was seized and annexed by Russia in 2014.
- Cameroon's president calls on separatists to lay down arms Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Cameroon's president has called on Anglophone separatists in the country to lay down their arms, shortly before the release of 79 boys and girls who had been abducted in an Anglophone region in the French-speaking West African country.
- Sudan Commits To Strengthening Cooperation and Meaningful Reforms US Dept. of State 07 Nov 2018
- Trump Ousts Attorney General Sessions VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump forced out the country's top law enforcement officer on Wednesday, a move Democrats warned could be a prelude to stopping the special counsel investigation.
- Trump, Administration Facing New Investigations VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- Democratic lawmakers taking control of the U.S. House of Representatives in January are vowing to launch wide-ranging investigations of President Donald Trump's business empire and policies he has adopted during the first two years in office.
- U.S. Attorney General Sessions Resigns, Throwing Doubt On Russia Probe RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has resigned as the country's chief law enforcement officer at the request of President Donald Trump, throwing the future of the special counsel's Russia investigation into uncertainty.
- Democrats Retake House, Creating Divided Congress VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives in midterm elections in the United States, while Republicans gained seats that solidify their control of the Senate.
- Trump Declares Midterm Victories, Warns Democrats About Probes VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- At a combative, lengthy news conference Wednesday, U.S. President Donald Trump congratulated himself for achieving what he termed a "tremendous success" in the previous day's midterm elections.
- Democratic House Brings Uncertainty To Trump Foreign Policy RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- For the past two years, U.S. foreign policy has been roiled by Donald Trump's presidency as he questioned long-standing tenets of Washington's alliances and relationships.
- Democrats Win Control Of U.S. House, As Republicans Retain Senate RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- Democrats have won majority control of the House of Representatives, vowing to hold U.S. President Donald Trump accountable, while Republicans have retained their control of the Senate, according to official results from the November 6 midterm elections.
- Trump Hails Election 'Victory' Despite Loss Of House To Democrats RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump declared victory in the midterm elections, although rival Democrats have taken control of the House of Representatives from his Republican Party and created a divided Congress for the first time in his administration.
- Kremlin rules out better Russia-US relations Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- The Kremlin says it saw no "rosy prospects" for an improvement in relations between Russia and the United States in the near future.
- 'Can't Get Much Worse, Probably Won't Get Better': Kremlin On U.S. Ties After Elections RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman says that relations with the United States cannot get much worse, but also suggests that prospects for improvement are hard to discern following the midterm elections in the United States.
- Nuclear talks between US and North Korea postponed Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has abruptly canceled plans to meet a top official from North Korea in New York, throwing stalemated diplomacy over the North's nuclear weapons into further uncertainty.
- Pompeo Meeting With North Korean Officials Postponed - US State Department Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- A meeting planned between US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and North Korean officials in New York later in the week has been postponed, State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a press release.
- Meeting With DPRK Officials US Dept. of State 07 Nov 2018 -- "Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo's meeting with officials from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, scheduled for this week in New York, will now take place at a later date."
- Trump: 'No Rush' to Drop Sanctions Against North Korea VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- President Donald Trump says he is in "no rush" to finalize a deal with North Korea and remove sanctions.
- US to Southeast Asian Bloc: Continue Maximum Pressure Campaign Against North Korea VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- The United States is rallying Southeast Asian countries to continue a maximum pressure campaign against North Korea, until the Korean Peninsula achieves complete denuclearization.
- Meeting Between Top US Diplomat, N. Korean Official Postponed VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's planned meeting with a senior North Korean official Thursday in New York City has been postponed.
- EU says SWIFT decision on Iran banks regrettable IRNA 07 Nov 2018 -- The European Commission said on Wednesday it found regrettable the decision by the Belgium-based SWIFT financial messaging service to suspend some unspecified Iranian banks' access to it.
- US exempts Iraq in further retreat on Iran sanctions Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Iraq will continue importing electricity and natural gas from Iran under an exemption from US sanctions, the special representative for Iran at the US State Department Brain Hook has said.
- U.S. Exempts Iran's Chabahar Port From Sanctions In Nod To Afghanistan RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- The U.S. State Department says it is exempting Iran's big port project in Chabahar from sanctions in recognition of its importance to landlocked Afghanistan.
- Turkish Leader Vows Not To Honor U.S. Sanctions On Iran After Waiver Expires RFE/RL 07 Nov 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that Turkey will not honor renewed U.S. sanctions on Iran's oil and shipping industries when waivers granted by Washington expire in six months.
- Iran, South Korea Agree to Cross-Currency Trade, Ditching Dollar - Reports Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- As the United States continues to slap Iran with sanctions, Washington allowed several countries, including South Korea, to purchase certain limited amount of Iranian oil without fear of reprisal.
- Afghans Hail Exemption of Iran Port from US Sanctions VOA 07 Nov 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan have hailed a U.S. decision to exempt from anti-Iran sanctions the development of the Iranian port of Chabahar in recognition of its role to grow the Afghan economy.
- China will adhere to opening-up, multilateralism: Premier People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- China will firmly adhere to opening-up and the principle of multilateralism to push for the in-depth development of globalization, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Tuesday.
- China developing new-generation rocket People's Daily 07 Nov 2018 -- China is developing a new-generation medium-lift carrier rocket, the Long March-8, which will be sent into space by 2020.
- Frontline workers vaccinated in Uganda over Ebola fears, as top UN officials visit outbreak epicentre in DR Congo UN News 07 Nov 2018 -- The World Health Organization (WHO), and Ugandan Ministry of Health, have begun vaccinating frontline health workers in the country against Ebola, in a bid to stop an outbreak in the neighbouring Democratic of Congo (DRC) from crossing the border.
- MOFA to "do its best" to set up APEC meets with U.S., China reps CNA 07 Nov 2018 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) will do its best to have Taiwan's representative meet with his American and Chinese counterparts at the upcoming Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) leaders' summit, Foreign Minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said Wednesday.
- '1992 consensus' key to maintaining cross-strait status quo: Ma CNA 07 Nov 2018 -- Former President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said Wednesday that if Taiwan wants to maintain the status quo across the Taiwan Strait, it cannot reject the "1992 consensus," which allows each side their own interpretation of "one China."
- Turkey will take US bounty on senior PKK leaders cautiously: Presidential spox Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- Turkish Presidential Spokesman Ibrahim Kalin has described the US State Department's decision to offer rewards in exchange for information on three key figures of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group as a "late" move that the Ankara government will take "cautiously."
- Nigeria court refuses to release Zakzaky on bail Press TV 07 Nov 2018 -- A Nigerian court has refused to grant bail to top Muslim cleric Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky, days after more than 40 of his supporters were killed during protests demanding his release.
- US Blocks $199Mln in Assets Belonging to Iran, Syria, N Korea in 2017 - Treasury Sputnik 07 Nov 2018 -- The United States blocked nearly $200 million in assets belonging to Syria, Iran, and North Korea in 2017 as a result of the sanctions imposed on the three countries, the Treasury Department said in its annual report to Congress released on Wednesday.
- Syrian Man Sentenced for Terrorism-Related Crimes US Dept. of Justice 07 Nov 2018 -- Ahmed Alahmedalabdaloklah, aka Ahmad Ibrahim Al-Ahmad, 41, of Syria, was sentenced today to life plus 30 years in prison. Alahmedalabdaloklah was found guilty by a federal jury on March 16, of conspiracy to use a weapon of mass destruction, conspiring to maliciously damage or destroy U.S. Property by weans of an explosive, aiding and abetting other persons to possess a destructive device in furtherance of a crime of violence, and conspiracy to possess a destructive device in furtherance of a crime of violence.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|