03 November 2018 Military News
- Kabul Undecided About Afghan Peace Talks In Moscow RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- An official in Kabul says Afghan authorities "have not yet" decided about sending a delegation to international talks Russia plans to host next week on the Afghan peace process.
Defense Policy / Programs
- 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division's Battalion Situational Training Exercise Army News 03 Nov 2018 -- 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division's Battalion Situational Training Exercise at Joint Base Lewis-McChord from Oct. 22- Nov. 5, improved the unit's collective task proficiency.
- Marines, Sailors build bridge in Norway during Exercise Trident Juncture 18 USMC News 03 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Marines with 2nd Marine Logistics Group-Forward built a bridge Oct. 29, 2018, during the largest NATO exercise in more than 16 years. The Exercise Trident Juncture 18 provided a unique opportunity for Marines to train with other NATO and partner forces. With more than 50,000 troops from 31 nations participating in the exercise, Marines strengthened transatlantic bond in a dynamic and challenging environment.
- Camp Lejeune Marines showcase their capabilities during Exercise Trident Juncture 18 USMC News 03 Nov 2018 -- U.S. Marines with II Marine Support Battalion, II Marine Expeditionary Force Information Group, conducted a convoy operation to transport a shipment of military vehicles and equipment from the port of Orkanger to Vaernes Air Station for Exercise Trident Juncture Nov. 2, 2018.
- USS Ashland, CLB 31 begin DSCA support following Typhoon Yutu NNS 03 Nov 2018 -- Amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland (LSD 48) with embarked Marines from Combat Logistics Battalion (CLB) 31 arrived in vicinity of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) to provide Department of Defense support to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and civil and local officials as part of the FEMA-supported Typhoon Yutu recovery effort Nov. 3.
- US Approves Integration of Patriots Into Next-Gen German Air Defense – Reports Sputnik 03 Nov 2018 -- The decision comes on the heels of high-level talks between German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen and US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis this summer, Reuters reported, citing two unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter.
- MiG-29M Crashed in Egypt Due to Malfunction of Aircraft Control System - Army Sputnik 03 Nov 2018 -- The Russian newspaper Kommersant reported that the aircraft, which crashed during a training flight, had been delivered to Egypt under a commercial contract in 2018.
- Iran Launches Mass Production of Kowsar Interceptor Jet - Defense Minister Sputnik 03 Nov 2018 -- Iran's Air Force has possesses about a few dozen strike aircraft, either Russian planes or US models obtained before the 1979 Iranian revolution.
- Iran Starts Mass Production Of Indigenous Fighter Jet: State TV RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- State television says Iran has begun the mass production of a locally designed fighter jet.
- Putin Praises GRU Spy Agency Blamed For Attacks In West RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin on November 2 praised the Russian military spy agency that the West this year has blamed for a series of blatant attacks.
- U.S. announces snapback of sanctions on Iran with 8 nations getting waivers People's Daily 03 Nov 2018 -- The Trump administration announced on Friday that it will snap back sanctions on Iran that had been lifted under the historic 2015 Iran nuke deal. However, eight nations will be given temporary waivers in their purchase of Iran's oil.
- Netanyahu Hails Trump's 'Historic Move' To Reimpose Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has praised U.S. President Donald Trump for reimposing sanctions against Iran, calling it an "historic move."
- Iranian Oil Tankers Reportedly 'Go Dark,' Making Tracking Exports More Difficult RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- Iran's oil exports are becoming harder to track as Iranian tankers are increasingly "going dark" by turning off transponders that make them easy to detect as they transport their cargo on the high seas, oil experts say.
- Trump Highlights Renewed Iran Sanctions Ahead Of U.S. Elections RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has highlighted his reimposition of U.S. sanctions on Iran ahead of the November 6 elections in which the Republican Party is seeking to retain control of both houses of the U.S. Congress.
- Ukrainian President, Patriarch Bartholomew Sign Cooperation Agreement RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko and the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew have signed an agreement on cooperation and interaction between Kyiv and the Patriarchate of Constantinople that paves the way for the establishment of an independent Ukrainian church, a plan which has angered Moscow.
- Kyiv Patriarch Rejects Property Seizures, Saying They'll Give Kremlin Pretext For Incursions RFE/RL 03 Nov 2018 -- The leader of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate says steps toward independence from Moscow must be carried out carefully to avoid giving the Kremlin a pretext for further Russian incursions into Ukrainian territory.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|