02 November 2018 Military News
- Unknown attackers kill 'Father of Taliban' in Pakistan Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Unknown assailants have killed Sami ul-Haq, a cleric known as the "Father of the Taliban", in a Pakistani city.
- Maulana Sami Ul-Haq, 'Father Of The Taliban,' Stabbed To Death RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Officials and relatives say that Maulana Sami ul-Haq, a prominent Pakistani cleric known as the "father of the Taliban" for having taught some of the militant movement's leaders, has been killed in an apparent knife attack.
- Pakistani Cleric Known as 'Father' of Afghan Taliban Assassinated VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Unknown assailants in Pakistan have assassinated the top Islamist leader known as the father of Afghanistan's Taliban movement.
- No Sign Islamic State Trying to Sneak Across US Southern Border VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Fears that Middle Eastern terrorists affiliated with Islamic State (IS) are trying to sneak into the United States from Mexico appear to be overblown.
- More Than 8,000 US Troops Deployed to Southern Border VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- The number of U.S. troops deploying to the U.S. southern border has increased to more than 8,000, two U.S. defense officials told VOA Friday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Air Force announces return of units to Tyndall AFB AFNS 02 Nov 2018 -- The Air Force announced the return of several key Tyndall Air Force Base missions, as the base begins its long-term recovery following Hurricane Michael.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' call with Turkish Minister of National Defense Hulusi Akar DoD 02 Nov 2018
- CNO Visits New Zealand, Strengthens Naval Partnership NNS 02 Nov 2018 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. John Richardson visited New Zealand, Nov. 2 and 3, to meet with New Zealand naval leadership to discuss deepening the U.S.-New Zealand naval partnership and recognize New Zealand's role as a leader in regional security.
- Reagan Strike Group, JMSDF Conduct ADEX During Keen Sword 2019 NNS 02 Nov 2018 -- The USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) carrier strike group participated in a series of air defense exercises (ADEX) with the U.S. Air Force and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) in support of Keen Sword 2019, from Oct. 30-Nov. 1.
- Air Force Cryptologic Office evolves ISR training for today's tech savvy Airmen AFNS 02 Nov 2018 -- The intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance Airmen in today's Air Force are much more technologically savvy than their predecessors, and the Air Force Cryptologic Office at Twenty-Fifth Air Force is revolutionizing the way modern Airmen learn to win the fight.
- US approves key step toward German missile defense deal Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- The US government has allowed Lockheed Martin Corp., a major American weapons manufacturer, to integrate its Patriot PAC-3 Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) missile into a next-generation German missile defense system, the Pentagon spokesman says.
- Remarks by National Security Advisor Ambassador John R. Bolton on the Administration's Policies in Latin America The White House 02 Nov 2018
- Remarks by President Trump Before Marine One Departure The White House 02 Nov 2018
- UN Chief: Yemen on 'Precipice' VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Friday that Yemen is teetering "on a precipice" and called on the international community to stop the violence and prevent a catastrophe.
- Saudi Arabia targets northern Yemen IRNA 02 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia targeted villages in Saada province, northern Yemen on Friday, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Arab coalition jet fighters bomb Yemen capital city IRNA 02 Nov 2018 -- The jet fighters of the Saudi-led Arab coalition bombarded the Yemeni capital city of Sana'a 30 times early Friday, Al-Masirah news network reported.
- UN chief appeals for end to Saudi-led war on Yemen Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres says Yemen is teetering "on a precipice", appealing to the international community to put an end to the Saudi war on the impoverished nation, more than three-and-a-half years after the regime and a number of its allies invaded the peninsular country.
- Saudis respond to peace calls with heavy Sana'a bombing Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has responded to calls for a ceasefire in its war on Yemen with a heavy bombing of the capital Sana'a with more than 30 airstrikes.
- Joint Forces Command of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen: "The Coalition Destroys The Terrorist Iranian-Houthi Militia Ballistic-Missile and UAV Launching Locations in Al-Dailami Airbase, Sana'a." SPA 02 Nov 2018 -- The Official Spokesman of the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen, Colonel Turki Al-Malki, stated that the Coalition forces conducted a targeting operation of legitimate military targets in Al Dailami airbase.
- Yemen: UN chief hails 'signs of hope' in world's worst man-made humanitarian disaster UN News 02 Nov 2018 -- Welcoming recent indications that peace talks could resume soon to end Yemen's brutal civil conflict, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Friday there is "no room for complacency," and called on the warring parties and the international community to "halt the senseless cycle of violence" and "reach a political settlement".
- Asian MPs call for halt on repartition of Rohingya refugees to Myanmar Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Asian parliamentarians has called on both governments in Bangladesh and Myanmar to halt plans for repatriation of Rohingya Muslim refugees to their home country, where they fled a state-sponsored brutal military violence over the last year.
- International court rejects Saif Gaddafi call to drop arrest warrant UN News 02 Nov 2018 -- A call by Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi – son of the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi and de facto Prime Minister of the country during the time of his father's rule – for an international arrest warrant against him to be ruled inadmissible, was rejected by the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), on Friday.
- UN urges more protection for Nigeria's most vulnerable after deadly attack on camp UN News 02 Nov 2018 -- Hundreds of people already forced to flee their homes by violence in Nigeria's troubled north-east have been uprooted once again after deadly attacks in and around a camp where they were sheltering, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, OCHA, said on Friday.
- UN Urges Nigeria to Bolster Protection in Borno State IDP Camps VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Nigeria must beef up protection for civilians at displaced persons' camps following a deadly attack by Boko Haram militants, the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
- Putin, Cuban President Vow To Bolster Ties, Denounce U.S. 'Interference' RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- The presidents of Russia and Cuba have vowed to strengthen political, economic, and military ties and denounced what they called U.S. "interference in the domestic affairs of sovereign nations."
- Russia Influence Operations Taking Aim at US Military VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- With just days to go until the U.S. midterm elections, there are growing fears that Russia's efforts to undermine U.S. democracy extend far beyond the polls on Nov. 6 or the presidential election in 2020.
- US to Grant Waivers to Some Countries Importing Iran Oil VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- The United States says it plans to issue temporary waivers to several countries, allowing them to continue purchasing Iranian oil without being subject to forthcoming U.S. sanctions.
- President Donald J. Trump Is Reimposing All Sanctions Lifted Under the Unacceptable Iran Deal The White House 02 Nov 2018
- Briefing With Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook US Dept. of State 02 Nov 2018 -- Special Briefing by Brian Hook, Special Representative for Iran
- Briefing on Iran Sanctions US Dept. of State 02 Nov 2018 -- Special Briefing by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State and Secretary of the Treasury Steven T. Mnuchin
- EU, E3 condemn US for reimposing sanctions on Iran, vow to protect trade Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the European Union have jointly condemned Washington's fresh sanctions on Iran's economy, vowing to protect European firms doing business with Tehran.
- Russia vows to continue oil trade with Iran despite US sanctions Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak says his country will help Iran counter fresh US sanctions due to come into effect late this week, saying Moscow will continue trading Tehran's crude in defiance of Washington.
- US says SWIFT could be sanctioned if it deals with sanctioned Iranian entities Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- The United States has said that the Belgian-based SWIFT global payment network could be hit with American sanctions if it deals with Iranian financial institutions that Washington has blacklisted.
- No concerns over fresh US sanctions: Iran Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Iran says the United States is seeking to wage an extensive "psychological war" against Tehran by imposing a fresh round of sanctions, stressing that the Islamic Republic has no concerns over such US bids.
- US grants waivers to 8 countries importing Iranian oil: Report Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- The US administration has agreed to allow eight countries to continue purchasing Iran's crude oil after Washington's sanctions on Tehran take place next Monday, a senior official said Friday.
- Iran envoy to UN: US sanctions 'a symptom of weakness' Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- Iran's envoy to the United Nations says the United States is making waves on the scene of international trade by targeting other countries with unilateral sanctions.
- U.S. To Grant Eight World 'Jurisdictions' Waivers On New Iranian Sanctions RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- The United States says that eight "jurisdictions" will receive temporary exemptions to sanctions set to be imposed on Iran's oil and financial industries in three days, but that Washington will "aggressively enforce" the measures designed to put "maximum pressure" on Tehran.
- Pashinian Says He Made 'Clear' To U.S. That Armenia Will Maintain Ties With Iran RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Acting Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian says he made clear to U.S. national-security adviser John Bolton last week that Armenia will pursue its national interests and maintain "special relations" with its neighbor Iran.
- Norway Summons Iranian Envoy To Protest Alleged Assassination Plot In Denmark RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Norway summoned the Iranian ambassador in Oslo on November 1 to protest a suspected assassination plot against an Iranian Arab opposition figure in Denmark that allegedly involved a Norwegian citizen of Iranian origin.
- Israeli Leader Says He Has Warned EU Nations Of Iranian Plots On European Soil RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, calling Iran the "most potent force of militant Islam," says he has warned Europe of possible Iranian attacks on its soil.
- Pakistani PM In China Seeking Aid To Deal With Debt Crisis RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan and Chinese President Xi Jinping have held a meeting in Beijing as Pakistan faces a debt crisis and looks to China for additional financial support.
- Pakistani PM Visits China as Fiscal Crisis Looms VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Pakistan's new prime minister, Imran Khan, is in China on a four-day visit, his first trip to the country since taking office in mid-August. The visit comes as the Pakistani government struggles with a financial crisis and as it looks to foreign countries for aid, while negotiating a bailout with the International Monetary Fund.
- Erdogan Says Order To Kill Khashoggi Was From 'Highest Levels' Of Saudi Government RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the order to kill Saudi opposition journalist Jamal Khashoggi "came from the highest levels of the Saudi government," but he said he did not believe the king himself was involved.
- Erdogan: 'Highest Levels' of Saudi Government Targeted Khashoggi VOA 02 Nov 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the order to kill Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi came from the "highest levels" of the Saudi government.
- Erdogan: Order to kill Khashoggi came from 'highest levels' of Saudi gov't Press TV 03 Nov 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the assassination of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul had been ordered at the "highest levels" of the Saudi government, but he does "not believe for a second" that King Salman issued the order.
- ONDCP Releases Data on Coca Cultivation and Cocaine Production in Peru and Bolivia The White House 02 Nov 2018
- Statement From Attorney General Sessions on the Drug Enforcement Administration's 2018 National Drug Threat Assessment US Dept. of Justice 02 Nov 2018 -- "Today, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) released its 2018 National Drug Threat Assessment, a comprehensive, strategic assessment of the illicit drug threats facing the United States. Attorney General Sessions made the following statement about the report:"
- Over 83 percent of Taiwanese people want to keep status quo: poll CNA 02 Nov 2018 -- Over 83 percent of the people in Taiwan do not want to alter the status quo between Taiwan and China, according to a public opinion poll released Thursday.
- Saudi Arabia, China, among 14 nations under UN human rights spotlight: what you need to know UN News 02 Nov 2018 -- The United Nation's highest human rights body, the Human Rights Council (HRC), will start reviewing on Monday the track records of 14 countries, including Saudi Arabia and China. Here's our UN News guide to how it works and why it matters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|