06 October 2018 Military News
- Afghan Security Forces Kill Over 50 Insurgents Over Past 24 Hours - Reports Sputnik 06 Oct 2018 -- The Afghan security forces have eliminated a total of 57 insurgents across the country as part of their ground operations and air raids over the past 24 hours, TOLOnews broadcaster reported on Saturday citing the country's Defense Ministry.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia Increasing Submarine Capabilities In Mediterranean, Atlantic, U.S. Admiral Warns RFE/RL 06 Oct 2018 -- Russia is augmenting its underwater battle capabilities in a direct challenge to U.S. and NATO forces in the Atlantic and Mediterranean arenas, a top U.S. admiral has warned.
- Saudi Arabia to Trump: Riyadh 'Will Pay Nothing' to US for Its Security Sputnik 06 Oct 2018 -- Earlier, US President Donald Trump stated that Saudi King Salman would be unable to stay in power for two weeks without Washington's support.
- Final stage of IRGC war games due on Sunday: IRGC cmdr. IRNA 06 Oct 2018 -- IRGC ground forces will stage the final stage of Moharram war games in Kamyaran and Shahou heights in western Iran on Sunday, according to Commander of IRGC Ground Force Brigadier-General Mohammad Pakpour.
- Missile attack on "heart of terrorists" shows Iran's might: IRGC deputy cmdr IRNA 05 Oct 2018 -- Iran's missile attacks on the "heart of terrorists" was indicative of might, jihad, resistance and perseverance of the Iranian nation, Deputy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Brigadier-General Hossein Salami said on Friday.
- India inks missile deal with Russia People's Daily 06 Oct 2018 -- India Friday inked a multi-billion dollar defense deal with Russia to acquire S-400 Triumf missile systems from Moscow, government sources here said.
- Guinea Interested in Purchase of Russian Military Equipment - Prime Minister Sputnik 06 Oct 2018 -- Guinea is interested in the purchase of Russian military equipment, and cooperates with the country on military issues, Prime Minister of the Republic of Guinea Ibrahima Kassory Fofana told Sputnik on the sidelines of the Rhodes Forum. >
- Army advances, thwarts Daesh infiltration attempt in Sweida IRNA 06 Oct 2018 -- Units of the Syrian Army, in cooperation with the allied forces, on Saturday continued to tighten the noose around Daesh terrorists' remnants in depth of the rocky cliffs surroundings Tuloul al-Safa, the last stronghold for terrorists deep in Sweida Badiya.
- Syrian rebels start to withdraw heavy weapons from Idlib buffer zone IRNA 06 Oct 2018 -- Two Turkey-backed Syrian rebel officials told Reuters that rebel groups had begun to withdraw heavy weaponry from a demilitarized zone in northwest Syria on Saturday morning.
- Syrian democratic forces intensify war with ISIL IRNA 06 Oct 2018 -- Syrian media said on Saturday that the Syrian Democratic Forces' combat with the ISIL Takfiri terrorist group has intensified in the east of the Deir- al-Zur province in eastern Syria.
- Syria army thwarts terrorists' infiltration attempt in Hama IRNA 06 Oct 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army units operating in the northern Hama countryside on Friday foiled an attempt by terrorist groups to infiltrate towards a number of military points in the vicinity of Ma'rkabeh and Lahaya villages.
- Ceasefire Breaches Recorded in Syria's Idlib Safe Zone - Russian Military Sputnik 06 Oct 2018 -- The Russian Centre for Reconciliation in Syria said Saturday that it registered ceasefire breaches in four areas of the Idlib de-escalation zone in northern Syria.
- Nigeria: Top UN officials say more support needed to ease humanitarian crisis and rebuild lives in conflict-ravaged north-east UN News 06 Oct 2018 -- The top United Nations relief and development officials on Saturday called for national and international partners to step up support for humanitarian efforts in north-eastern Nigeria and help millions of people rebuild their lives in the region that has been ravaged by Boko Haram's near decade-long insurgency.
- DPRK, S.Korea call for end to war on peninsula People's Daily 06 Oct 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and South Korea called for a complete end to the danger of war, the official media reported here Saturday.
- Remarks With Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2018 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- HRH Crown Prince: The Kingdom is Moving in The Right Direction and There Is A Big Deal Will Be Announced After 2 Weeks SPA 06 Oct 2018 -- His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz, Crown Prince, Vice President of the Council of Ministers and Minister of Defense, said that the unemployment rate in the Kingdom will begin to decline from 2019 and there will be no new taxes until 2030. He said that the Kingdom is moving in the right direction, and there is a big deal will be announced after two weeks later.
- Saudi Prince Says Kingdom Raised Oil Output To Offset Loss Of Iranian Exports RFE/RL 06 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's crown prince in an interview with Bloomberg News is insisting that the kingdom is fulfilling promises to the United States to make up a shortfall in world oil supplies resulting from the loss of Iranian production under U.S. sanctions.
- In DR Congo, UN Security Council says December polls are 'historic opportunity' for country UN News 06 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council is on a visit to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where on Saturday the body's 15 members pledged to support the process in the run-up to long-delayed elections, set for late December, and called for the polls to be credible and peaceful.
- Protest Against Ingush-Chechen Land Swap Enters Third Day RFE/RL 06 Oct 2018 -- People gathered in the regional capital of Ingushetia for a third straight day on October 6 to protest what they say is an unfair land swap with Chechnya under a controversial deal to establish the border between the two North Caucasus republics.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|