01 October 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 01 Oct 2018 [PDF]
- S.C. National Guard prepares for the worst on Sampit River Army News 01 Oct 2018 -- More than 60 Soldiers with South Carolina's 125th Multi-Role Bridge Company, out of Abbeville, were mobilized Sept. 11, and continue to provide support to local communities in response to Hurricane Florence and its aftermath.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary Mattis Press Gaggle En Route to Paris DoD 01 Oct 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- 49th Wing training mission transfers to AETC AFNS 01 Oct 2018 -- The 49th Wing officially recognized the transfer of the base's flying training mission to Air Education and Training Command during a ceremony Sept. 28.
- U.S. and Indian armies complete exercise Yudh Abhyas 18 Army News 01 Oct 2018 -- Soldiers from the United States and India
completed a two-week training exercise Sept. 29, 2018, at Chaubattia Military Station, India. The closing ceremony marked the 14th year of the bilateral training exercise known as Yudh Abhyas.
- Combat Support Wing exercise showcases agile lethality AFNS 01 Oct 2018 -- More than 150 Airmen from seven major commands participated in a combat support wing proof-of-concept exercise Sept. 5 to 19 that tested a small team's capability to conduct agile downrange operations.
- McChord AFB represents USAF in Ample Strike, NATO Days AFNS 01 Oct 2018 -- Exercise Ample Strike and NATO Days Air Show in the Czech Republic offered an opportunity for 62nd Airlift Wing Airmen from the 4th Airlift Squadron to integrate with NATO forces during a multinational exercise and outreach effort Sept. 8 to 18. This combined exercise directly supports 2018 National Defense Strategy Summary elements aimed at supporting interoperability as a priority.
- Dunford Pleased DOD Enters Fiscal 2019 With Budget AFPS 01 Oct 2018 -- For the first time in a long time, the Defense Department entered the fiscal year with a budget, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said troops should be extremely pleased with the development.
- How the Army plans to modernize its OPFOR program Army News 01 Oct 2018 -- While the United States fought conflicts and insurgencies in the Middle East, South Asia, and Africa over the last seventeen years, potential adversaries were studying U.S. operations and developing sophisticated weapons, munitions, and disruptive technologies. U.S. forces must anticipate that adversaries will employ these increasingly advanced systems, some approaching or even surpassing U.S. capabilities, while also proliferating them to their allies and proxies around the globe.
- U.S. Marines and Armed Forces of the Philippines Launch Exercise KAMANDAG 2 USMC News 01 Oct 2018 -- The 3d Marine Expeditionary Brigade and Armed Forces of the Philippines opened exercise KAMANDAG 2 with a ceremony at the Subic Bay International Airport on Monday. KAMANDAG 2 will take place October 1 to 10, 2018, at multiple locations on the island of Luzon.
- USS Indiana Brought to Life, Commissioned in Port Canaveral NNS 01 Oct 2018 -- USS Indiana, the third submarine to bear the name and third vessel to be named for the state, was brought to life by its sponsor, Diane K. Donald, wife of retired Adm. Kirkland Donald, the former director of Naval Nuclear Propulsion and commander, Submarine Forces, Sept. 29, 2018. Before giving the order to bring the ship to life, Indiana's sponsor had a few words to impart to those in attendance and any potential future adversaries.
- NAVSEA Assumes Maintenance Functions for SRF-JRMC NNS 01 Oct 2018 -- Commander, Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) formally assumed responsibility for ship maintenance availabilities at U.S. Naval Ship Repair Facility and Japan Regional Maintenance Center (SRF-JRMC) from Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (USPACFLT) Oct. 1.
- Suggestion to Allocate $2Bln for US Military Base in Poland Excited Trump - Duda Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- Polish President Andrzej Duda said in an interview with the Sieci newspaper on Monday that his suggestion to Donald Trump to allocate $2 billion for the creation of a US military base in Poland got the attention of his US counterpart and excited him.
- Pentagon Cancels Talks With China Amid Rising Tensions VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- The Pentagon has canceled plans for U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to visit China after his counterpart in Beijing could not be made available, a U.S. defense official told VOA on Monday.
- CIWT Assumes Cyber Mission Force Training Role NNS 01 Oct 2018 -- The Center for Information Warfare Training (CIWT) assumed training responsibilities in support of U.S. Cyber Command's (USCYBERCOM) Cyber Mission Force (CMF), Oct. 1
- Macedonia's PM Determined His Country Should Join NATO VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- Macedonia's prime minister says he will seek a vote in parliament to change his country's name in a bid to end a 27-year dispute with neighboring Greece and enable Macedonia to join NATO.
- NATO Defense Chiefs Build 360-Degree Defense on Maturing Framework, Dunford Says AFPS 01 Oct 2018 -- The NATO Military Committee Meeting in Warsaw this past weekend was so productive because the alliance chiefs of defense were able to build on the three-year framework put in place, Marine Corps Gen. Joe Dunford told reporters here today.
- Joint Statement by the NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and the President of the European Union D. Tusk on the consultative referendum in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia NATO 01 Oct 2018
- China cancels security talks with Pentagon chief Mattis Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- A security meeting between US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and his Chinese counterpart has been canceled, the latest sign of deteriorating ties between Beijing and Washington.
- China Calls Off Talks With Pentagon Chief as Tensions With US Snowball - Reports Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- The months-long tit-for-tat between Beijing and Washington hasn't yet shown any signs of stopping, but has, conversely, grown more intense in light of both trade issues with regard to tariffed imports, and an array of military-related moves, such as arms sales to Taiwan and China's military deals with Russia.
- Taiwan Navy to commission two Perry-class frigates next month CNA 01 Oct 2018 -- The Republic of China (Taiwan) Navy next month will commission two Perry-class guided missile frigates it bought from the United States, a Navy official said Monday.
- UK to keep forces in Germany after Brexit, plans to expand presence outside borders Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- British Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson says UK forces stationed in Germany will continue to stay in the country after Britain's pending exit from the European Union (EU).
- 1 October 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 01 Oct 2018
- UN: New Commitment to Refugees Needed as Global Crisis Grows VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations refugee agency warns that a rising number of people are fleeing conflict and persecution around the world at a time when more and more countries are closing their doors.
- Syrian army kills dozens of Daesh terrorists IRNA 01 Oct 2018 -- Syrian army units, in cooperation with the supporting forces, on Monday stormed more rocky cliffs in the rugged land of Toloul al-Safa area overlooking Daesh (ISIS) terrorists' last stronghold, achieving a significant advance.
- Militant groups refuse to implement Russia-Turkey deal Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The fate of an agreement between Russia and Turkey to set up a demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib hangs in balance with Turkish-backed militants refusing to withdraw and opposing the deployment of Russian troops.
- EU States Ready to Finance Disarming of Militants in Syria - UN Chief's Aide Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- Many EU countries are interested in Syrian refugees' return to their homeland, and they will be ready to invest in a disarmament program of militants, UN Assistant Secretary-General for Rule of Law and Security Institutions in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations Alexander Zuev told Sputnik.
- IRGC shoots 6 missiles to terrorists' positions in Syria IRNA 01 Oct 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) on Monday shot 6 surface-surface ballistic missiles to takfiri terrorists' positions in eastern Euphrates Syria.
- Missile attack on terrorists in Syria first stage of Iran's revenge: Top general Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The top Iranian general says the IRGC's Monday missile and drone attacks on terrorists' positions in Syria were just the first stage of Tehran's retaliation against those who sponsored and orchestrated a recent raid on a military parade in Iran's Ahvaz, which killed 25 and wounded over 400 people.
- Iranian nation's security is our 'red line': IRGC's top commander Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- A senior commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the missile strike against the positions of terrorists behind a recent attack in southwest Iran was aimed to show that security of the Iranian nation is a "red line" for the IRGC.
- IRGC reveals details of revenge attack on terrorists Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has released new details on its missile strike on the positions of terrorists behind a recent attack in southwest Iran.
- Iran's ballistic revenge annihilates terrorists; IRGC strikes ringleaders of Ahvaz attack east of Euphrates Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) strikes the gatherings of the ringleaders of the recent terror attack in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz with several surface-to-surface ballistic missiles in an area east of the Euphrates in Syria.
- Iran Fires Missiles At Militants In Syria Over Military Parade Attack RFE/RL 01 Oct 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) says it has fired missiles at militants in Syria to punish the alleged ringleaders of a deadly attack on a military parade in the southwest of the country.
- Indian troops 'shoot at chopper of Pakistani Kashmir's leader' Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The prime minister of Pakistani-administered Kashmir region says Indian forces have opened fire on his helicopter near the disputed de facto border in the Himalayan region.
- Indian Troops Fire At Helicopter Of Pakistani-Administered Kashmir's Leader RFE/RL 01 Oct 2018 -- The head of the Pakistani-administered Kashmir region says Indian troops on September 30 shot at his helicopter from across the Line of Control that serves as a de facto border in the disputed region.
- Israel seeking to justify another aggression against Lebanon: FM Bassil Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Lebanon's Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil says Israel is seeking to "justify another aggression" against his country after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made "false allegations" against the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah that it has purportedly built missile sites in the midst of civilian districts of Beirut.
- Israel Seeks to Justify Another Aggression - Lebanese Foreign Minister Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- The Lebanese official responded to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's speech at the UN General Assembly during which he claimed that Hezbollah tried to establish three missile conversion sites in Beirut.
- Russian MFA: Kosovo Special Forces' Invasion of Serb-Populated Areas Provocation Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- According to Moscow, the irresponsible actions of Kosovo's leadership could lead to a new cycle of destabilization and trigger a bloody conflict in the region.
- Al-Shabab Attacks EU Convoy in Mogadishu, Two Killed VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- A suicide bomber drove a car into a Western military convoy in Mogadishu on Monday, killing two people and injuring four.
- Macedonians back name change in referendum marred by low turnout Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Macedonians have voted in favor of changing the name of the Balkan country to North Macedonia in a West-backed referendum, which fell short of the turnout threshold required to become valid immediately.
- NATO Welcomes Results of Referendum on Macedonia's Name - Stoltenberg Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- NATO welcomes the results of Macedonia's name consultative referendum and urges the country's leadership to "responsibly" use this historic opportunity, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said.
- Statement by Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Ms. Dana W. White on Macedonia's Referendum on the Prespa Agreement DoD 01 Oct 2018
- Macedonian PM Pledges To Forge Ahead On Name Change, Despite Referendum Failure On Turnout RFE/RL 01 Oct 2018 -- Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev has vowed to follow through with a change to the Balkan state's name as part of a deal to end a decades-old dispute with neighboring Greece after a September 30 referendum on the move failed to secure a turnout of 50 percent, required to make the nonbinding vote valid.
- After Its Name-Change Referendum, What's Next For Macedonia? RFE/RL 01 Oct 2018 -- Macedonia's weekend referendum on changing its name as part of a deal to end a decades-old dispute with neighboring Greece fell short of the 50 percent turnout required to make the nonbinding vote valid.
- Over 90% of Macedonian Referendum Voters Chose to Rename Country Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- Data from all polling stations where Macedonia residents voted in Sunday's consultative referendum to change the country's name to the Republic of North Macedonia and join the EU and NATO showed that 91.46 percent voted for, whereas 5.65 percent voted against, the State Election Commission said in a statement Monday.
- UN chief urges all sides in former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to proceed with name change 'through country's institutions' UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged all political forces in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) to implement plans to undergo a formal name change, following a consultative referendum on Sunday, through the country's institutions.
- 'We must work together like never before' to realize sustainable development, says Canada at UN UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- The international community must work together in new ways, to bring the aspirations of the ambitious 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development to life, Canada's head of delegation declared at the United Nations General Assembly.
- Timor-Leste exemplifies continued UN help in settling sea dispute with Australia, General Assembly told UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- TImor-Leste, a country which the United Nations shepherded to independence from Indonesia 16 years ago, is a prime example of what the world Organization can do in resolving international conflicts and disputes, Delegation Chair Maria Helena Pires told the General Assembly on Monday.
- At UN, Nicaraguan Foreign Minister calls for 'commitment to continue fighting for peace' amid threats to sustainable development UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- While the world was in the midst of a crisis largely sparked by interventionism and "savage capitalism", Nicaragua continued to bolster peace, strengthen security, "and…promote and defend human rights," Minister for Foreign Affairs Denis Moncada Colindres told the United Nations General Assembly on Monday, underscoring his country's commitment to the UN Charter.
- Thailand endorses Secretary-General's call to make UN more effective, Minister tells General Assembly UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- The United Nations needs to adapt to meet the challenges facing the world, Thailand's Deputy Foreign Minister Virasakdi Futrakul told the General Assembly on Monday, endorsing Secretary General António Guterres's efforts to make the Organization more effective.
- Global Goals promise to 'leave no one behind' is key for middle-income countries, Belarusian minister tells UN Assembly UN News 01 Oct 2018 -- In spite of the criticism levelled against the United Nations, there is no other such platform for cooperation or a multilateral mechanism based on "equal and respectful attitude towards each and every country and their needs," the foreign minister of Belarus told the General Assembly.
- DPRK FM Meets His Foreign Counterparts, UN High-ranking Officials KCNA 01 Oct 2018 -- Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, who is attending the 73rd session of the UN General Assembly as a head of a delegation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, respectively had talks with foreign ministers of China, Russia, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Sweden, Venezuela, Cote d'Ivoire, Algeria, Cuba, Burundi, Norway and Brazil, minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea, minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania, minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Mongolia, the minister responsible for Foreign Affairs of Oman, the UN under secretary-general for Political Affairs and the executive director of the UNICEF.
- S.Korea, DPRK launch landmine removal in border areas People's Daily 01 Oct 2018 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Monday launched the removal of landmines in border areas as part of efforts to implement the inter-Korean military agreement, local media reported citing Seoul's defense ministry.
- North, South Korea begin removing landmines along border: Seoul Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Seoul says North and South Korea have begun removing landmines along their fortified border in a confidence-building measure under a new agreement reached between the two neighboring states in Pyongyang last month.
- South, North Korea Start Demining Demilitarized Zone Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- Troops from North Korea and South Korea have started removing landmines from the demilitarized zone that separates the two countries as part of an agreement to search for the remains of soldiers killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War, the South Korean Defense Ministry told Sputnik.
- Iran-EU SPV getting finalized IRNA 01 Oct 2018 -- Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) aimed at keeping trade flowing between the European Union and Iran in the face of the US sanctions is getting finalized.
- US lonelier than before: Iran nuclear chief IRNA 01 Oct 2018 -- The US is lonelier than before, Iran's nuclear chief said on Monday.
- U.S.-China ties more conflicting than cooperative: MAC CNA 01 Oct 2018 -- Relations between the United States and China will face more issues of conflict than of cooperation, participants at the latest consultative meeting held recently by Taiwan's Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) agreed, according to the minutes of the meeting.
- Hong Kong to uphold 'one country, two systems' principle, develop jointly with motherland: HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 01 Oct 2018 -- Hong Kong, both a "contributor" to and "beneficiary" of the motherland's 40 years of reform and opening up, should uphold the original spirit of the "one country, two systems" principle and continue developing jointly with the country, Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Monday.
- Main rival of Barzani's KDP to reject Kurdistan's election results Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, one of the main parties in northern Iraq, says it will not recognize the results of Sunday's parliamentary elections in the semi-autonomous region, claiming fraud.
- Pakistan Hints at Compromise on Jailed Doctor Who Helped US VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- Pakistan's foreign minister, Shah Mahmood Qureshi, has hinted ahead of a visit to Washington this week at a possible compromise in the case of a doctor jailed after helping the United States find and kill Osama bin Laden.
- Pakistan Reduces Cost for China-Funded Rail Project VOA 01 Oct 2018 -- Pakistan announced Monday a reduced estimated cost for revamping of the country's nearly 1,900-kilometer colonial-era railway line under an ongoing bilateral economic development mega project funded by China.
- FATF rejects Saudi membership, citing lack of action against illicit funding Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has failed to get full membership in the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), a global body aimed at fighting illicit money flows and terror financing.
- German Court OKs Extradition To Belgium Of Iranian Diplomat Suspected In Bomb Plot RFE/RL 01 Oct 2018 -- A German court has approved the extradition to Belgium of an Iranian diplomat arrested on suspicion of terrorism.
- German Court Approves Extradition of Iranian Diplomat Over Bomb 'Plot' Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- Iranian diplomat Assadollah Assadi, who is believed to be an intelligence agent, ordered a couple to attack the rally and had given them the explosives at a June meeting in Luxembourg.
- Turkey asks Germany to extradite 136 people with 'terror links' Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Turkey has called on Germany to extradite 136 people with suspected links to groups that played a key role in orchestrating the July 2016 coup attempt against the government in Ankara.
- Turkish court jails Gulen's brother for over 10 years Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- The brother of the US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara accuses of having masterminded the mid-July 2016 coup attempt, has been jailed for more than 10 years.
- US threats of imposing sanctions on Iran 'unjust': Turkey's Erdogan Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has slammed as unjust the United States' move to impose sanctions against Iran and threaten to further toughen them.
- UK has fiscal capacity to cope with no-deal Brexit: Finance minister Press TV 01 Oct 2018 -- British Finance Minister Philip Hammond has claimed that his country has the fiscal capacity to cope with the divorce from the European Union without any agreement.
- China Planning Probes, Manned Missions, Ultimately a Base on Moon - Space Chief Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- China's lunar program is setting ambitious goals, including exploring both lunar poles by 2030 and, further in the future, sending manned missions to the moon and establishing a permanent base there. The news comes as leaders of the US and Chinese space agencies said they were open to cooperation on research and missions.
- Fierce Critic of US Military Bases Elected as Governor of Okinawa Sputnik 01 Oct 2018 -- The surprise victory comes amidst ongoing protests by locals against the US' mammoth military presence on the island, which activists say has long contributed to social and environmental degradation
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|