26 September 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 26 Sep2018 [PDF]
- DoD Official Explains U.S. Strategy in Syria to House Panel AFPS 26 Sep 2018 -- In a complex part of the world, the U.S. strategy in Syria is simple to state: the enduring defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, the deterrence of the use of chemical weapons and countering Iran's malign influence in the region.
- New US airstrike kills 10 Afghan children, 2 women in Wardak province Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- An air strike conducted by US forces appears to have claimed lives of a dozen members of an Afghan family, most of them children, in the country's east-central province of Maidan Wardak.
- UN 'Strongly Concerned' After Afghan Children, Women Killed In Air Strike RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- The UN mission in Afghanistan has expressed "strong concern" over the rising numbers of civilian casualties caused by aerial operations, as two separate air strikes over the weekend appear to have killed a total of 21 civilians.
- In UN address, Afghan leader lays out vision of peaceful, prosperous State in talks with Taliban UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- Saying his country had turned a page with its unprecedented overtures to the militant Taliban opposition, Afghan's Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah on Wednesday called on the United Nations, the European Union and State partners to help promote a new Afghanistan in a country that has known nothing but conflict over the past four decades, with hundreds of thousands of casualties.
- Military Aids Disaster Response Effort in the Aftermath of Hurricane Florence AFPS 26 Sep 2018 -- After two weeks of preparing and providing relief to communities devastated by Hurricane Florence in North Carolina, active-duty soldiers are winding down rescue efforts while remaining ready to meet federal and local needs.
Defense Policy / Programs
- N Korea a 'significant threat': Trump's pick for top commander in South Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- North Korea still poses a "significant" nuclear threat despite the Singapore summit between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, says Trump's nominee for the next American commander for US and allied forces in South Korea.
- US removing some missile systems from Middle East: Report Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- The United States is pulling some of its anti-aircraft and missile batteries out of the Middle East, marking a shift that focuses away from long-lasting conflicts in the region to tensions with China, Russia and Iran, according to US media.
- Mattis: More Data Needed to Assess Women's Effectiveness in Combat Arms AFPS 26 Sep 2018 -- With so few women in combat arms right now, the services and Defense Department officials really can't judge how successful the effort has been, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told cadets at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia, yesterday.
- US Army Pacific, Nepali Army co-hosts disaster response exercise Army News 26 Sep 2018 -- More than 300 disaster response professionals from 14 countries met in Kathmandu for the Nepal Pacific Resilience Disaster Response Exercise and Exchange (DREE) opening ceremony, 25 Sep. 2018.
- Tennessee Army National Guard assumes command of Battle Group Poland Army News 26 Sep 2018 -- Task Force Raider, part of the Tennessee Army National Guard has officially assumed responsibility of NATO's Enhanced Forward Presence, Battle Group Poland, during a transfer of authority ceremony at Bemowo Piskie Training Area, Poland, Sept. 20.
- Press Gaggle at the Pentagon by Secretary Mattis DoD 26 Sep 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Press Topper Bilat at Pentagon with Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis and Mihai-Viorel Fifor, Minister of Defense of Romania DoD 26 Sep 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis; Mihai-Viorel Fifor, Minister of Defense of Romania
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Romanian Defense Minister Mihai Fifor DoD 26 Sep 2018
- Navy Announces Deployability Assessment and Assignment Program NNS 26 Sep 2018 -- In an effort to maximize warfighting effectiveness and lethality across the force, Navy announced implementation of its Deployability Assessment and Assignment Program in NAVADMIN 239/18, released Sept. 25.
- Under SECNAV Visits Vanuatu for Partnership Building NNS 26 Sep 2018 -- Under Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly completed a partnership-building visit to Vanuatu on Sep. 26, 2018.
- Under SECNAV Visits Papua New Guinea for Partnership Building NNS 26 Sep 2018 -- Under Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly completed a partnership-building visit to Papua New Guinea on Sep. 25, 2018.
- Secretary General at Ground Zero: NATO stands with the US in the fight against terrorism NATO 26 Sep 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg paid tribute to the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and outlined NATO's role in the fight against terrorism in a speech at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum on Wednesday (26 September 2018). The Alliance invoked its collective defence clause – Article 5 of the Washington Treaty – for the first time in support of the United States, after 9/11.
- Russia test-fires supersonic missiles from coastal defense system Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Russia has for the first time test-fired a P-800 Onyx supersonic anti-ship cruise missile during a military exercise amid escalating tensions with Israel following the downing of a Russian warplane in Syria.
- Work on Russia's New S-500 Air Defense System Almost Complete - Deputy PM Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Work on the latest Russian S-500 air defense system is almost complete, and their serial production will begin soon, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yury Borisov said on Wednesday.
- India Tests Pre-Induction Trial of Beyond Visual Range Air-to-Air Missile Astra Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- The missile features a dual pulse rocket motor, making it highly maneuverable during endgame engagement and thereby endowing the missile with a high single shot kill probability (SSKP).
- Indian Navy to Get Two Modern Vessels for Submarine Rescue in Next 3 Years Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- The 118-meter long vessels with around 7,650-ton displacement capacity will facilitate various activities such as submarine rescue, underwater inspection, testing or salvage, and recovery of objects/ships/aircraft lost at sea. The vessels will be manufactured by the state-owned Hindustan Shipyard Limited.
- South Korea's Moon Says US Troops Should Stay Even After Reunification Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said in an interview with Fox News that the presence of the US forces on the Korean peninsula would still be necessary even if the two divided countries signed a peace treaty and the reunification took place.
- Russian S-300 Supplies to Deter Israel From Reckless Attacks on Syria - Official Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Russia's planned delivery of S-300 air defense systems to Syria will make Israel think twice before attacking the Arab republic once again, Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad said.
- Iran, Russia, China, India, Afghanistan hold security talks in Tehran Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Senior security officials from Iran, Russia, China, India and Afghanistan have attended a meeting in Tehran to explore ways of promoting peace and the fight against terrorism in the region.
- Remarks by President Trump at Press Gaggle Upon Arriving at United Nations Headquarters | New York, NY The White House 26 Sep 2018
- US Flies Bombers Over Disputed South China Sea VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- The United States again flew bombers over the disputed South China Sea this week, U.S. officials disclosed Wednesday, a move likely to intensify the already fraught tension between Beijing and Washington. This is at least the second time this month the U.S. has flown bombers over the area.
- UN investigators demand probe into 'extremely alarming' situation in Yemen Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- War crimes investigators have called on the UN Human Rights Council to provide them with the opportunity to continue a probe into the "extremely alarming" situation in Yemen, irrespective of resistance from Saudi Arabia and a number of its allies that are involved in an atrocious military campaign against the impoverished Arab country.
- Yemen in the grip of war imposed by Iran-backed militia, country's President tells UN assembly UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- The Yemeni Government is striving to restore peace, security and stability and provide essential services to its people, while the country remains gripped by a war imposed by Iran- and Hizbullah-backed armed militias, Yemen's President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi Mansour told world leaders at the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday.
- Yemen Peace Talks to Be Useless Until Hodeidah Liberated - Deputy Minister Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Peace talks between the government of Yemen and Houthi rebels are unlikely to be useful until the liberation of Yemen's port city of Hodeidah, Hamzah Alkamaly, Yemen's deputy minister of youth and sport, told Sputnik on Wednesday.
- Kurds Seek Solutions for Captured IS Fighters VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) are seeking help from the international community to deal with more than 2,000 Islamic State foreign fighters and their families who are being held in Syria.
- Libyan Government of National Accord Announces New Truce Near Tripoli Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- The Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) announced on Wednesday the conclusion of a new ceasefire agreement between rival factions in the vicinity of Tripoli.
- Trump to Netanyahu: 'I Like Two-State Solution' to Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump have met at the UN General Assembly and gave statements after the meeting.
- Armenia Backs Resolving Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict Within OSCE Format - PM Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Armenia supports resolving the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict through the format offered by the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said during a speech in front of the UN General Assembly (UNGA).
- South Sudan War Has Killed 382,000, Says New Study VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- A new study says South Sudan's civil war has caused the deaths of 382,000 people, far higher than previous estimates.
- Under Secretary Hale's Meeting on Next Steps on the South Sudan Peace Process US Dept. of State 26 Sep 2018
- Heads of State meet on security, human rights and political upheaval in war-torn Central African Republic UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- What are the key events that have led the Central African Republic (CAR) to go from being a land-rich nation full of optimism at independence, in 1960, to an impoverished country facing multiple challenges, and the subject of a high-level meeting at UN Headquarters on Friday?
- UN chief celebrates spirit of hope in Mali, calls for greater international support UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- Climate change, poverty, violence… As countless challenges hamper the stability and development of Mali and the Sahel region, a high-level event on Wednesday explored progress made in the implementation of the UN Support Plan for the Sahel (UNSS), and galvanized renewed commitment for the Malian peace process initiated in 2015.
- At UN Assembly, Mali's president gives heartfelt thanks for UN's help in bringing stability UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, whose West African country has benefitted from a 15,000-strong United Nations Stabilization Force (MINUSMA) to bring peace after Tuareg rebels and militant Islamists devastated its northern and central regions, mounted the General Assembly podium on Wednesday to thank the world Organization for "its immense and multi-dimensional" support.
- Liberia is a UN peacekeeping success and country is grateful for support, President Weah tells world leaders UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- With more years of peace than the preceding years of war "Liberia has finally turned the corner", the country's President told world leaders at the United Nations General Assembly, pledging his efforts to consolidate the nation's achievements and bring peace dividends to all Liberians.
- Lebanon's President says country is working towards stability, but weighed down by 'neighborhood crises' UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- Although Lebanon 'is groping our way to rise from consecutive crises', President Michel Aoun said on Wednesday that his country was being buffeted by regional crises and called on the United Nations to show global leadership by taking action to resolve conflicts in the Middle East.
- President Donald J. Trump Is Committed to Countering the Proliferation of Chemical, Biological, and Nuclear Weapons The White House 26 Sep 2018
- Remarks by President Trump at the United Nations Security Council Briefing on Counterproliferation | New York, NY The White House 26 Sep 2018
- Time has come to rid the world of nuclear weapons, UN officials stress UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- The time has come to make tangible progress to rid the world of nuclear weapons, top United Nations officials stressed today, citing the grave threat posed by such weapons to global security.
- At UN Security Council, world leaders debate Iran, North Korea sanctions and non-proliferation UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- President Donald Trump told the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday that the United States would impose sanctions on Iran that would be "tougher than ever before" in the coming months, following its unilateral withdrawal earlier this year from the deal brokered to restrict Iran's nuclear programme, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
- Shun unilateral action, embrace multilateralism, Namibian President urges at UN Assembly UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- Warning that the world seems to be drifting away from dialogue and towards unilateral action – at great peril to very fundamental tenets of democracy – the President of Namibia called on world leaders, gathered at the United Nations General Assembly, to embrace multilateralism.
- At UN, Tonga warns of dire security threats posed by climate change on island atoll countries UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- As head of more than 170 South Pacific islands, sustainable development and surmounting the 'devastating impacts' of climate change in his country were the focus of King Tupou VI of Tonga in his address at the United Nations General Assembly.
- Trump Accuses China of Election Meddling VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- President Donald Trump is accusing China of meddling in upcoming U.S. elections.
- U.S., Ukrainian Officials Discuss Efforts To Counter Russia's 'Malign Influence' RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- A top U.S. official has met with the Ukrainian foreign minister in New York to discuss "cooperative efforts against Russia's malign influence," among other things, the State Department says.
- Russian Retirement-Age Hike Advances As Putin's Adjustment Approved RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- An unpopular plan to raise the retirement age has advanced in the Russian legislature after lawmakers overwhelmingly approved President Vladimir Putin's proposal to limit the increase for women to five years - to age 60 - instead of eight.
- Salisbury Poisoning Suspect Named As Russian Colonel RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- The real identity of one of the two Russians blamed by Britain for the Salisbury nerve-agent attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal is Anatoly Chepiga, the investigative website Bellingcat says, adding that he was a decorated Russian colonel.
- U.S. Case Involved Alleged Russian Intelligence Theft Through Kaspersky RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- A U.S. intelligence worker has been sentenced to prison for transferring top-secret material to a home computer that was allegedly accessed by Russian intelligence through Kaspersky software.
- Russian Officer Named in Britain Nerve Agent Poisoning VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- A group of British investigative journalists have identified a highly decorated member of the Russian military intelligence agency (GRU) as one of two men accused of trying to assassinate an ex-Russian spy and his daughter in Britain earlier this year.
- Chinese citizen in US arrested for acting as foreign agent Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- US authorities have arrested a Chinese citizen living in Chicago over accusations of spying on American engineers and scientists, including defense contractors, on behalf of the Chinese government.
- Korean Peninsula entering 'era of peace and prosperity,' Republic of Korea President tells UN UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- With a self-proclaimed "sense of urgency and excitement," Moon Jae-in, President of the Republic of Korea, told the United Nations General Assembly on Wednesday that "something miraculous has taken place on the Korean Peninsula," namely, reunification efforts.
- KCNA Commentary Calls for Eliminating Dregs of History KCNA 26 Sep 2018 -- The world has been greatly shocked by the historic 5th inter-Korean summit meeting and talks.
- Trump, Moon agree to keep pressure on DPRK, discuss 2nd U.S.-DPRK summit People's Daily 26 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in on Monday agreed to keep pressure on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and discussed plans to hold a second meeting between Trump and the DPRK's top leader Kim Jong Un.
- UN Command Says Having Communication with N. Korea for First Time in 11 Years Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- The US-led United Nations Command and North Korean senior officials are having military communications for the first time in more than ten years, US Forces Korea Commander nominee Army Gen. Robert Abrams told the Senate Armed Services Committee during his confirmation hearing.
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With DPRK Foreign Minister Ri US Dept. of State 26 Sep 2018
- Trump Says Will Meet North Korea's Kim 'In Very Near Future' VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday his administration is planning a second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and will announce details soon.
- Erdogan vows to continue Iran gas imports despite US threat Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Turkey will continue to buy natural gas from Iran despite US President Donald Trump's Nov. 4 deadline for countries to stop importing Iranian oil and gas.
- EU's special Iran payment channel could take effect before November: Mogherini Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini says the bloc's initiative to facilitate payment to/from Iran as part of efforts to save the 2015 nuclear deal could be in place before November, when the US is to re-impose the second batch of its anti-Iran sanctions.
- Iran's Rouhani says US isolated in face of global support for JCPOA Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says US President Donald Trump's decision to exit the Iran nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), has isolated Washington as the majority of countries back the historic agreement.
- Zarif: When will the US learn its lesson? Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has blasted the United States for abusing the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to further undermine the 2015 Iran nuclear deal, an accord that US President Donald Trump quit in May.
- Assailing Iran, Trump finds Security Council inhospitable Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- The US has chaired the UN Security Council meeting on the non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, with the 2015 Iran nuclear deal on the agenda, one day after President Donald Trump's speech that attacked Tehran at the General Assembly but during which he was also mocked for touting his domestic policies.
- JCPOA, US in spotlight as Rouhani meets Europe leaders Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Meeting with European leaders on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, Iran's president has urged the international community to help preserve the landmark 2015 nuclear deal by withstanding US pressure and unilateralism.
- Rouhani : Iran never requested meeting with Trump Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says he has never asked for talks with his American counterpart, Donald Trump, stressing that such a meeting would not be "appropriate."
- US-EU rift cracks wide open over Iran sanctions Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Tensions have escalated between the US and European Union (EU) countries over their plan to preserve business with Iran and avoid renewed American sanctions.
- UN Security Council Members Reject Trump's Calls For Sanctions On Iran RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has taken his case against Iran before the United Nations Security Council, a day after urging all nations to isolate the Iranian government.
- Trump Takes U.S. Case To Isolate Iran Before UN Security Council RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump goes before the United Nations Security Council on September 26 to make his case against Iran, one day after urging all nations at the UN to work with him to isolate Tehran's leaders.
- U.S. Slams European Plan To Help Iran Sidestep U.S. Sanctions RFE/RL 26 Sep 2018 -- The United States has sharply criticized a European Union plan to help Iran get around U.S. sanctions by establishing alternative ways to pay for Iran's trade with European companies.
- Iran President: 'We Do Not Wish to Go to War With US Forces Anywhere in Region' Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has assured during the UN meeting in New York that Tehran does not want a war with American forces anywhere in the Middle East.
- US Envoy to UN Nikki Haley Lashes Out at EU's Mogherini Over Iran Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- In a heated speech at the United Nations General Assembly, US President Donald Trump has yet again targeted Iran, blasting the 2015 nuclear deal, which he withdrew from in May, and accused Iranian leaders of sowing chaos in the Middle East.
- Zarif: Iran-P4+1 to safeguard JCPOA IRNA 26 Sep 2018 -- Iran together with other parties to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) are resolved to safeguard the deal, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said.
- Questions Remain About Who Was Behind Attack on Iran Parade VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- Four days after a bloody attack on a military parade in Iran's mostly Arab "Ahvaz" region, also known as Khuzestan, and conflicting claims of responsibility, questions remain over Swho was actually behind the attack.
- Daesh Reportedly Threatens to Carry Out More Attacks Against Iran Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Previously, both Daesh* and the Patriotic Arab Democratic Movement in Ahvaz claimed responsibility for a deadly attack in Iran, carried out by four gunmen during a military parade.
- China, US must drop Cold War mentality: Beijing Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- China's top diplomat says Beijing and Washington should avoid acting based on a Cold War mentality, amid increasingly bitter disputes over bilateral trade and Beijing's military ties with other countries.
- Capitalism's greed fomenting terrorism, hurting sustainable development, asserts Cuban President UN News 26 Sep 2018 -- The consequences of capitalism, imperialism and neoliberalism are not only manifesting in fascism and conflicts around the globe, they are also diverting much needed resources which could have helped implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development or address climate change impacts, the Cuban President told world leaders at the United Nations General Assembly.
- At UN speech, Turkey's Erdogan slams use of economic sanctions as 'weapons' Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has used his address to the United Nations General Assembly to criticize the use of sanctions as "weapons" against countries in an implicit reference to the United States.
- Iraq Resumes Production at Mosul Oil Field After Daesh Defeat - Oil Ministry Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi Oil Minister Jabbar Luaibi said in a message to Prime Minister Haider Abadi about restored oil production at an oil field south of Mosul.
- Angara-A5 Carrier Rocket Receives First Orders to Launch Civilian Satellites Sputnik 26 Sep 2018 -- The Angara-A5 heavy-lift carrier rocket became subject to the first two contracts for launching civilian satellites, papers published on the Russian public procurement website on Wednesday said.
- US imposes new sanctions on top Venezuelan officials Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- The United States has imposed new sanctions on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's wife and several of his top allies to further increase pressure on the government which is already grappling with an economic crisis.
- Venezuela condemns Trump for encouraging military coup against Maduro Press TV 26 Sep 2018 -- Venezuela has denounced US President Donald Trump over his "warmongering and interventionist" remarks which it says promote a "military uprising" against President Nicolas Maduro.
- UN Warns Rights Violations Threaten Credibility of DRC Elections VOA 26 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations warns escalating human rights violations and restrictions to civil and political rights in the Democratic Republic of Congo are calling into question the credibility of upcoming presidential elections. The U.N. Human Rights Council held a special session in Geneva on the situation in the DRC.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|