23 September 2018 Military News
- Taliban Warns US Against Engaging with 'Fake' Insurgent Envoys VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- The Afghan Taliban has warned the United States against meeting "fake" and "fraudulent" insurgent delegations, saying such contacts could "seriously harm any possible genuine process of dialogue."
Defense Policy / Programs
- Global Leaders Assemble at 23rd International Seapower Symposium NNS 23 Sep 2018 -- Military leaders from more than 100 nations converged to discuss cooperative strategies for enhancing global security, order and prosperity at the chief of naval operations' (CNO) 23rd International Seapower Symposium (ISS) held at U.S. Naval War College (NWC), Sept. 18-21, 2018.
- Chinese naval medical ship makes 1st visit to Venezuela Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- A Chinese naval medical vessel has traveled for the first time to the Venezuelan port of La Guaira, amid apparently growing ties between Beijing and Caracas.
- China postpones military talks with US over sanctions Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- China has postponed joint military talks with the United States in protest against Washington's move to impose sanctions on the Chinese military for buying Russian fighter jets and surface-to-air missile systems.
- Jizan Airport targeted by Yemen missile IRNA 23 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni army's missile unit and popular committees fired a ballistic missile at Jizan International Airport, southwest of Saudi Arabia.
- Russia holds Israel responsible for downing IL-20 in Syria IRNA 23 Sep 2018 -- Russian Ministry of Defense reiterated that "Israel" is fully responsible for downing the Russian IL-20 aircraft off Syrian coast last Monday.
- Russia says Israel fully responsible for downing of plane in Syria Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry says "misleading" information from the Israeli Air Force Command has in fact downed a Russian Ilyushin Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft off a Syrian coast, holding the Israeli regime fully responsible for the tragic event, which killed more than a dozen servicemen. der their control in Syria's Idlib Province after Russia and Turkey said they had agreed to set up a buffer zone in the region.
- Russia to release details on downing of military plane in Syria Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- Russia is set to publish a report detailing the circumstances that led to the recent accidental downing of an Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft by Syrian air defenses while they were responding to a wave of Israeli airstrikes.
- Moscow: Israel 'Misled' Russian Military In Syria Plane Downing RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has doubled down on its allegation that Israel is to blame for the downing of a Russian military plane over the eastern Mediterranean Sea nearly a week ago, saying it was caused by "misleading information" provided by the Israeli military.
- Russian MoD Has Compelling Evidence to Back Up Account of Il-20's Last Moments Sputnik 23 Sep 2018 -- Earlier in the day, the Russian Defense Ministry reiterated, during a briefing on circumstance of the Il-20 incident, that blame for the Russian aircraft's crash fully rested with Israel, which put the Il-20 under fire of the Syrian air defense.
- Israel to Continue Military Op in Syria Despite Il-20 Downing – Lieberman Sputnik 23 Sep 2018 -- Russia blames Israel for the destruction of the Il-20, which cost the lives of 15 servicemen, after it emerged that around the time if its demise, Israeli fighter jets were in immediate proximity to the Russian plane.
- Russian MoD: Israel Violated Agreement With Russia to Prevent Incidents in Syria Sputnik 23 Sep 2018 -- The Israeli Air Force misled Russia by providing wrong information about the area of the planned air strikes in Syria on September 17, thus preventing the Russian Il-20 from moving to a safe zone, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said on Sunday.
- Turkish-backed militants accept Idlib deal, but reject disarmament Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- Turkish-backed militants have rejected laying down their arms or surrendering the territory un
- Erdogan: Russia, Turkey to Decide on Radical Groups to Leave Idlib Zone Sputnik 23 Sep 2018 -- Turkey and Russia will jointly determine which radical groups should leave the territory of demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib province, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in an article released on Sunday.
- Syrian Army Cut Off Terrorists' Last Water Supplies Sputnik 23 Sep 2018 -- Syrian government troops are on course to mopping up the last of the entrenched Daesh militants in Al-Suwayda Governorate, as they have encircled the northwestern Idlib Governorate, the last remaining stronghold of militant and terror groups in the country.
- Iraq not allowing Turkish troops back to Bashiqa: Report Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- Iraq has refused to allow Turkish troops back into the Arab country following a leave from their bases, a government-affiliated think tank in Baghdad has reported.
- Rebel Leader Machar Declines Offer to Visit Juba, Fears for His Safety VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar turned down an invitation Saturday from President Salva Kiir to visit the South Sudanese capital Juba.
- Analysts: France and Italy's Differences Undermine Efforts Against IS in Libya VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- France and Italy have had differences over how changes should be brought in Libya in the post-Moammar Gaddafi era, but those differences have become public in recent months, raising concerns among some analysts that the ongoing tension between the two sides would derail the more important task of fighting IS-linked militants in the country.
- Israel Gives Palestinian Villagers Deadline to Demolish Their Homes VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- Israel has put the residents of a West Bank village on notice that they must demolish their homes by October 1.
- Pashinian Supporters Grab Massive Lead In Early Voting RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Early results in the Yerevan municipal elections indicate the alliance backed by Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian is cruising to a landslide victory in the first major test of the new Armenian leader's political strength.
- Maldives Votes in Controversial Presidential Election VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- Voters in the Maldives cast their ballots Sunday in a controversial presidential election.
- Norway Detains Russian Man On Espionage Charges RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Norwegian authorities say they have detained a Russian citizen on suspicion of illegal intelligence activities.
- World offers sympathy to Iran over terrorist attack IRNA 23 Sep 2018 -- Lebanon, Egypt and Bolivia joined other countries to extend condolences to the Iranian people and government over the Saturday terrorist attack in the city of Ahvaz in the Iran's southwestern province of Khuzestan.
- IRGC: Terrorists to face unforgettable revenge IRNA 23 Sep 2018 -- The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) in a statement condoled with the families of the martyrs of the Ahvaz terrorist incident, and assured the Iranian people that in the near future terrorists will face a deadly and unforgettable revenge.
- Top military official: Iran to eradicate terrorists IRNA 23 Sep 2018 -- Chief of Staff of Iran Armed Forces condemned Ahvaz terrorist attack by arrogant mercenaries, and said that the armed forces are pursuing terrorists more determinedly than before.
- Terrorists to face unforgettable revenge in near future: IRGC ISNA 23 Sep 2018 -- The Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) in a statement condoled with the families of the martyrs of the Ahvaz terrorist incident, and assured the Iranian people that in the near future terrorists will face a deadly and unforgettable revenge.
- US envoy to UN denies Giuliani's claim that Trump wants 'revolution' in Iran Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley says Washington is not seeking to overthrow Iran's government, denying claims by President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani that the US favored a "revolution" in Iran.
- Iran in compliance with nuclear deal: British PM Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May says Iran is in compliance with its commitments under a nuclear deal it signed in 2015, stressing that the agreement should be kept alive.
- US responsible for continuance of terrorism in world: Iran Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- Iran has rejected the annual reports by US Department of State on terrorism, saying the United States is responsible for the continuance of this scourge in the region and across the world.
- IRGC vows 'unforgettable' revenge for Ahvaz terror attack Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the terrorists behind a bloody attack in the southwestern city of Ahvaz will definitely face "deadly and unforgettable" revenge in the near future.
- Rouhani: Iran ready to confront US, 'small mercenary states' Press TV 23 Sep 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the United States wants to cause insecurity in Iran with the help of "small mercenary states" in the region, but that the Islamic Republic is ready to confront them.
- Who Was Behind Deadly Attack In Iran? RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Iranian officials have accused U.S. allies in the region of being behind a deadly attack on a military parade in the southwest of the country that left 29 people dead and dozens wounded amid claims of responsibility by two groups -- an ethnic Arab separatist group and the extremist group Islamic State (IS).
- Iran's Rohani Blames Gulf State, IRGC Vows Revenge For Deadly Attack RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Iranian officials have accused U.S. allies in the region of being behind a deadly attack on a military parade in the southwest of the country that left 29 people dead and dozens wounded amid claims of responsibility by two groups -- an ethnic Arab separatist group and the extremist group Islamic State (IS).
- Pakistan's Khan Denounces India's 'Arrogant' Decision To Cancel Talks RFE/RL 23 Sep 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has denounced India's decision to cancel rare talks with Islamabad just one day after New Delhi said they would take place on the sidelines of the upcoming UN General Assembly.
- Pompeo: US Would Win Trade War with China VOA 23 Sep 2018 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vows the United States will be victorious in any trade war with China, a day before the Trump administration's latest tariffs on Chinese imports go into effect.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|