22 September 2018 Military News
- Pakistan Says Gunfight With 'Terrorists' Kills 7 Troops VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- Pakistan said Saturday an intense gunfight with militants near the border with Afghanistan has killed seven soldiers, including an officer.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon: Young, Single Women on Navy Ships Most Likely to be Sexually Assaulted VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- The 4-year-old results of a survey about sexual abuse on U.S. military installations around the world, including ships, have finally been released.
- India's PM faces resignation calls over 'corruption' in French jet deal Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- India's opposition parties have called for the resignation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his alleged role in a major military deal with France.
- Iran's military parade indicates dignity, deterrence power IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) spokesman said that the parade to mark the Sacred Defense anniversary on Saturday showed the dignity and deterrence power of the Iranian Armed Forces.
- Latest defensive achievements of Iranian Army unveiled IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- The Islamic Republic Armed Forces and Khatam ul-Anbiya airbase unveiled their latest defensive achievements on September 22 in a parade to mark the 38th anniversary of the beginning of the country's eight years of war imposed by the Ba'ath regime of Iraq.
- Iranian Armed Forces mark Sacred Defense anniv. IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- The Islamic Republic Armed Forces paraded in a nationwide ceremony held on the occasion of the 38th anniversary of the country's Sacred Defense (Iraq's imposed war 1980-1988) Saturday morning.
- As Yemen conflict rages, millions of civilians are the ones losing: UN relief chief IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Raising the alarm over the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in Yemen, the top United Nations relief official on Friday underscored the need for all parties to avoid further military activity around Hudaydah port--the vital lifeline through which food and fuel flows into the war-torn country.
- UAE completes withdrawal of troops from Yemen's Mahrah province: Report Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- The last batch of Emirati troops, who had served in a Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen's eastern province of Mahrah, have arrived home after the Abu Dhabi regime ordered them to withdraw.
- US-led aircraft evacuate Daesh commanders from eastern Syria: Report Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- The US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has airlifted to a safe sanctuary several commanders of the foreign-sponsored terror outfit from a region in Syria's eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr, where government forces and fighters from popular defense groups are tightening the noose around the extremists.
- Russia rejects Israeli findings on downed plane Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- Russia has rejected the findings of an Israeli investigation into the deadly crash of a Russian military aircraft in the Syrian province of Latakia, and called on Tel Aviv to launch a new probe into the matter.
- Russia, Turkey agree on borders of buffer zone in Syria's Idlib province Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- Russia and Turkey have reached a consensus on borders of a demilitarized zone in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, which is the last major stronghold of anti-Damascus militants, in an attempt to avert a possible full-scale offensive by the Syrian government against terrorists in the militant-held region.
- UN chief "alarmed" by violations of UN-backed ceasefire in Libya UN News 22 Sep 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres stated on Friday that he is "alarmed by the increasing number of violations of the ceasefire" in the capital of Libya, Tripoli, which has led to the death of dozens of civilians.
- Pakistan Slams India for Cancelling New York Talks VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- Pakistan has slammed rival India for abruptly cancelling a rare meeting between foreign ministers of the two countries that were scheduled on the sidelines of the upcoming U.N. General Assembly.
- Imran Khan slams India's 'arrogant' decision to call off rare meeting Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan says he is "disappointed" with the Indian government for its decision to call off a planned meeting between the foreign ministers of the two countries, denouncing New Delhi's move as "arrogant and negative."
- India cancels rare Pakistan meeting over 'brutal killings' Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- India has cancelled a rare meeting between its foreign minister and her Pakistani counterpart just a day after announcing the talks would take place on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly in New York.
- Two injured after twin car bombs explode in Mogadishu Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- At least two people have sustained injuries in two car bombings in Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia, an emergency worker and a police officer said.
- Russians Vote In Gubernatorial Runoffs As Pro-Kremlin Candidates Face Pushback RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- Russian voters in two regions head to the polls on September 23 in gubernatorial runoffs that have left the ruling United Russia party scrambling to avoid defeat for its pro-Kremlin candidates.
- Russians Rally Across The Country Against Plan To Raise Retirement Age RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- Russians staged demonstrations across the country on September 22 to protest government plans to raise the eligibility age for retirement pensions by five years.
- U.S. Extends Deadline For Investors To Divest Rusal Holdings RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- The U.S. Treasury Department has extended until November 12 a deadline for investors to divest holdings of debt, equity, and other assets in sanctioned Russian aluminum giant Rusal and its parent holding company, EN+.
- Pompeo hopes to travel to Pyongyang soon for Trump-Kim meeting People's Daily 22 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday that he hopes to travel to Pyongyang, the capital of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) soon to prepare for the second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and the DPRK's top leader Kim Jong Un.
- International Efforts To Implement UN Security Council Resolutions on DPRK's Illicit Shipping Activities US Dept. of State 22 Sep 2018 -- The United States welcomes coordination on international efforts to implement UN Security Council Resolutions on North Korea's illicit shipping activities, which prohibit ship-to-ship transfers of any goods or items to or from North Korean vessels of any goods or items going to or coming from North Korea.
- 25 Killed, 60 Hurt in Attack on Iran Military Parade VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- Iranian state media reported Saturday that at least 25 people were killed and 60 were wounded in an attack on a military parade in the Arab Ahvaz region of the country. President Hassan Rouhani called on the country's security forces to determine who was behind the attack amid competing claims of responsibility.
- Attack On Military Parade In Iran Leaves At Least 25 Dead RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- At least 25 people have been killed and 53 wounded in an attack on a military parade in southwestern Iran, the country's official IRNA news agency reported, prompting President Hassan Rohani to pledge a "crushing" response to threats against the country.
- Gunmen Open Fire at Military Parade in South Iran, Casualties Reported Sputnik 22 Sep 2018 -- According to Reuters, Daesh has claimed responsibility for a terrorist attack at a military parade in Iran that left 24 people dead and 54 injured.
- Rouhani orders quick investigation of terror attack in Ahvaz IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Iranian president Hassan Rouhani ordered urgent investigation and relief efforts for the wounded of the terrorist attack in Ahvaz, Khuzestan province.
- Leader blames US-backed regimes for Iran terror attack IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- The Leader of the Islamic Revolution in a Saturday's message to the bereaved families of those who attained martyrdom in a terrorist attack on a military parade in Ahvaz urged intelligence forces to track down and prosecute the culprits behind the attack.
- Terrorists targeted soldiers, civilians in Ahvaz: Witness IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Terrorists attacking Iran's southern city of Ahvaz opened fire at soldiers and civilians with the aim of creating fear, a witness said following the attack on Saturday.
- Death toll of Ahvaz terror attack mounts to 25, 60 injured IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- The terror attack in south western Iran has so far claimed the lives of 25 people and injured 60 more, the deputy governor of Khuzestan for political and social affairs said.
- Official: Iran nation to give crushing response to enemies IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Senior Advisor to Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Major General Yahya Rahim Safavi said on Saturday that Iranian nation and the country's armed forces are to give a crushing response to the enemies' atrocities.
- FM Zarif vows decisive response to SW Iran terror attack IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message on Saturday promised swift and decisive response to recent terror attack in southwestern Iran.
- Saudi-affiliated terrorist group claims responsibility for Ahvaz terror attack IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- The separatist and terrorist Al-Ahwaz group, affiliated to the Saudi regime, claimed responsibility for this morning terrorist attack which killed at least 10 people during the Armed Forces parade in this Persian Gulf littoral port.
- 3 killed, 20 injured in Ahvaz terror attack IRNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Three people were killed and 20 other were injured during Saturday morning terror attack which took place in Ahvaz, capital of the Khuzestan Province, in southwestern Iran, said a senior local official.
- President orders security organs to quickly address Ahvaz terrorist attack ISNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Following the terrorist attack in Ahvaz on Saturday morning, the Iranian President had telephone conversations with Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli and Governor General of Khuzestan province Gholamreza Shariati.
- Al-Ahvaziya claims responsibility for terrorist attack in Ahvaz ISNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Al-Ahvaziya terrorist group has claimed the responsibility for a terrorist attack on a military parade in Iran's southern city of Ahvaz.
- Iran to respond swiftly, decisively: Zarif ISNA 22 Sep 2018 -- In a reaction to a terrorist attack on a military parade in Iran's southern city of Ahvaz, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed that the Islamic Republic of Iran holds regional terror sponsors and their US masters accountable for such attacks.
- President addressing armed forces' parade ceremony: We know the value of our missiles with your pressures ISNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President stressed that the Islamic Republic of Iran will increase its defensive power every day, and with your pressures, we know the value of our missiles more than before, saying, "We learn love from Karbala and dignity and steadfastness from Ashura".
- Ahvaz terror attack extension of anti-Iran plots by US puppets in region: Leader Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the terrorist attack in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz was the continuation of plots hatched by US stooges in the region to create insecurity in the country, adding that Iran's intelligence services must swiftly find the accomplices of the "criminals" behind the attack and put them on trial.
- After Ahvaz terrorist attack, Iran's Rouhani vows 'crushing' response to slightest threat Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic will give a "crushing" response to the slightest threat against the country.
- Pompeo threatens Iran with action if US interests attacked Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has threatened to take action against Iran in case of any attack on American interests in the Middle East.
- 25 killed, 60 injured in terror attack on military parade in Ahvaz Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- The death toll from a terrorist attack on a military parade in Iran's southern city of Ahvaz has risen to 25, local officials say.
- Trump will suffer same fate as Saddam: Iran's Rouhani Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iranians will defeat US President Donald Trump like what they did to former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.
- China Summons U.S. Ambassador To Protest Russia-Related Sanctions RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- China has summoned the U.S. ambassador in Beijing to lodge a formal protest after Washington hit a Chinese military organization with sanctions over its purchases of Russian missiles and fighter jets.
- Chinese MoD Voices Protest to US Over Sanctions for Russian Arms Purchases Sputnik 22 Sep 2018 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry on Saturday expressed protest and made strong representation to the United States over the US sanctions for arms purchases from Russia.
- China urges US to cancel sanctions People's Daily 22 Sep 2018 -- Beijing urged Washington on Friday to correct its mistake and withdraw sanctions on the Chinese military immediately or face the consequences.
- China summons US ambassador over military sanctions Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- China's Foreign Ministry has summoned US Ambassador to Beijing Terry Branstad over Washington's move to impose sanctions against a Chinese military agency and its director for buying Russian fighter jets and missiles.
- China slams US sanctions, says it has 'no right' to meddle in ties with Russia Press TV 22 Sep 2018 -- China has slammed Washington's move to impose sanctions on Beijing over its decision to purchase Russian missile systems and fighter jets, saying the US has "no right to interfere" in relations between two sovereign countries.
- Pompeo Denounces China's Treatment Of Uyghur, Christian Minorities RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo denounced the "awful abuses" of Muslim Uyghurs detained in Chinese reeducation camps and criticized what he said was a government crackdown on Christians in the country.
- UNICEF: DRC Ebola Orphans Stigmatized VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- The U.N. Children's Fund (UNICEF) reports a growing number of children in eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo orphaned by the Ebola outbreak in the region are at risk of stigmatization and abandonment.
- Diplomacy not a 'zero-sum' game: MOFA CNA 22 Sep 2018 -- Diplomacy is not a "zero-sum" game and cementing a long-lasting and stable diplomatic relationship with the Vatican is the top priority of Taiwan, Taipei-based Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Saturday.
- There's No Disputing That Macedonia Is At A Watershed Moment RFE/RL 22 Sep 2018 -- Macedonia's capital, Skopje, has been gripped by hope and uncertainty lately, with the country approaching a historic crossroads.
- Campaigns Start in Cameroon's Presidential Poll VOA 22 Sep 2018 -- Campaigning for Cameroon's October 7 presidential election officially begun Saturday. Opposition parties have failed to agree on a single candidate to face incumbent President Paul Biya and are suspicious of each other as they maneuver to unseat the man who has ruled Cameroon since for more than three and a half decades.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|