19 September 2018 Military News
- Russia says Taliban ready for Afghan talks in Moscow Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Foreign Ministry says the Taliban militant group is prepared to attend multiparty talks on Afghanistan in Moscow.
- Afghanistan's Shi'a Brace For More Attacks On Ashura Holiday RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- Members of Afghanistan's Shi'ite minority are bracing for potential violence as they prepare to commemorate Ashura, the holiest celebration in their religious calendar.
- Combat-search-and-rescue Airmen press pause to tackle Hurricane Florence aftermath AFNS 19 Sep 2018 -- Reserve and active duty pararescuemen were undergoing dive and jump training Sept. 11, in Key West, Florida, when they were recalled back to their home units to immediately begin the process of pre-positioning for Hurricane Florence search-and-rescue operations.
- Indiana National Guard departs for North Carolina to support Hurricane Florence relief Army News 19 Sep 2018 -- The 38th Combat Aviation Brigade deployed to Raleigh, North Carolina, on Sept. 16 to support Hurricane Florence relief efforts.
- Pennsylvania Guard Guard continues search and rescue from Myrtle Beach, S.C. Army News 19 Sep 2018 -- Members of the Pennsylvania National Guard launched multiple search and rescue missions in South Carolina from McEntire Joint National Guard Base , Sept. 18, 2018.
- As post-Florence waters rise, so does the South Carolina National Guard Army News 19 Sep 2018 -- Tropical Storm Florence dumped unprecedented amounts of rain on the Carolinas during the weekend of Sept. 14-16, 2018, causing many rivers connecting the two states to overflow. That led to flooding in many rural populated areas, forcing evacuations, and roads to washout in South Carolina.
Defense Policy / Programs
- New G-8 embraces streamlining tech acquisition Army News 19 Sep 2018 -- Under the fiscal year 2019 National Defense Authorization Act, the Army received a $23 billion increase in its budget to support readiness and modernization, including a $5.6 billion addition to research, development, and acquisition, said Lt. Gen. James F. Pasquarette, the Army's new deputy chief of staff, G-8.
- Remarks By Deputy Secretary Shanahan at the Air Force Association's Air, Space and Cyber Conference DoD 19 Sep 2018 -- Presenter: Deputy Secretary Of Defense Patrick M. Shanahan
- Major changes could affect your security clearance Army News 19 Sep 2018 -- As of July 27, the Department of Defense will continuously monitor individual's security eligibility through the new Continuous Evaluation program. This new policy mandates that individuals who hold a security clearance will be continuously evaluated to determine if they meet the requirements to maintain that clearance. The security clearance renewal due every six to 10 years is still in effect.
- Panel discusses total force integration during AFA AFNS 19 Sep 2018 -- Former Secretary of the Air Force F. Whitten Peters moderated a panel of senior leaders examining the total force during the Air Force Association Air, Space, and Cyber Conference in National Harbor Sept. 18.
- Pilot Training Next cadre discuss lessons learned, way forward AFNS 19 Sep 2018 -- Air Education and Training Command officials announced the second iteration of Pilot Training Next would begin in January 2019 during a panel at the 2018 Air Force Association Air, Space and Cyber Conference.
- T-6A Texan II Crash AFNS 19 Sep 2018 -- A 12th Flying Training Wing T-6A Texan II crashed near Rolling Oaks Mall at approximately 4 p.m. Sept. 18. The crew ejected and is safe with minor injuries reported at the site. Both were transported to the Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph Medical Clinic for evaluation and both pilots were released.
- Time is Now to Execute National Defense Strategy, Shanahan Says AFPS 19 Sep 2018 -- The National Defense Strategy unveiled earlier this year has had time to percolate through the force. Now it is time to execute it, the deputy secretary of defense said at the annual Air Force Association meeting here today.
- Task Force Looks at Making Infantry Squads More Lethal AFPS 19 Sep 2018 -- The Close Combat Lethality Task Force is gathering information from the services, industry and allies before making recommendations to Defense Secretary James N. Mattis, the senior Army enlisted representative to the task force said here today.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Delfin Lorenzana, Secretary of National Defense of the Philippines DoD 19 Sep 2018
- Coastal Patrol Ships Conduct Griffin Missile Shoot NNS 19 Sep 2018 -- U.S. 5th Fleet's Combined Task Force (CTF) 55 conducted missile and naval gun exercises against high speed maneuvering targets during a Griffin Missile System (GMS) fleet firing Sept. 16-18.
- US Base in Poland to Change Geopolitics of Europe - Polish Defense Ministry Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Once the US military base is established in Poland, the country would no longer be considered a buffer state, and would not promote "the sense of security," Polish Deputy Defense Minister Tomasz Szatkowski said on Wednesday.
- Warsaw Prepared to Pay for Construction of 'Fort Trump' in Poland – Duda Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Earlier, the Polish president attempted to entice Trump with a proposal to build a new permanent American base in Poland with the US president's name on it. Trump confirmed that Washington was looking at the proposal "very seriously."
- UK Foreign Office: Russia's Vostok Drills Show Moscow's Aggressive Nature Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Russia's latest large-scale Vostok-2018 military drills showed that Moscow has become "more assertive" in its military presence, UK Minister of State for the Commonwealth and United Nations Tariq Ahmad said on Wednesday in a letter obtained by Sputnik.
- MiG-31 Interceptor Jet Crashes in Central Russia - Russian Defense Ministry Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- According to the Russian Defense Ministry, a MiG-31 aircraft crashed in the Nizhny Novgorod region.
- British companies get green light to press ahead with new Army vehicle plans, Defence Minister announces UK MOD 19 Sep 2018 -- A programme to supply the British Army with a new fleet of eight-wheeled armoured vehicles has taken a major step forward, Defence Minister Stuart Andrew has announced at one of the world's leading land equipment events.
- Beijing Wants You! China Seeks Young Fighter Pilots For Growing Carrier Fleet Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- The Chinese military is looking to ramp up recruitment of fighter pilots as the People's Liberation Army-Navy shifts from "shore-based" to "carrier-based" operations, according to a Tuesday announcement.
- 19 September 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 19 Sep 2018
- A third of world's out-of-school youth live in conflict, disaster-affected countries: UNICEF report UN News 19 Sep 2018 -- Childhood is a time for growth, a time for school. But conflict or disaster are depriving 104 million young people between the ages of five and 17 of that foundation, according to a new study by the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
- Yemeni drone targets Saudi positions in western Yemen IRNA 19 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni drone 'Qasef-1' targeted Saudi mercenaries' positions in Al Khawkhah District in western Yemen on Wednesday, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al-Masirah' reported.
- Yemen targets Saudi military base with missile IRNA 19 Sep 2018 -- Yemen fired missile at Saudi military base in Zahran, southwestern Saudi Arabia.
- 5.2 million Yemeni kids on brink of famine amid Saudi war: Charity Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- A UK-based charity has expressed concerns about the humanitarian repercussions of renewed Saudi attacks on Yemen's port city of Hudaydah, saying a total of 5.2 million children are at risk of famine amid the ongoing war in the country.
- Yemen: 'Time is running out' to head off devastating famine, warns UN food agency chief UN News 19 Sep 2018 -- As conflict continues to rage in Yemen, leading to widespread economic hardship and a rampant inflation, the World Food Programme (WFP) is sounding the alarm over soaring food prices that are affecting millions of Yemenis.
- U.S. Downplays Russian Plane Shoot-Down, Vows To Continue Fight Against IS RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- U.S. officials expressed sorrow over the shoot-down of a Russian military surveillance plane off the Syrian coast and said it would not affect the U.S. campaign against Islamic State (IS) fighters.
- Syrian President Assad Says Il-20 Crash 'Result of Israeli Arrogance' - Reports Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad has sent a letter to Russian president Vladimir Putin, expressing his condolences over the recent Russian Il-20 plane crash in Syria, local media reported.
- UN chief welcomes agreement over buffer zone in Idlib IRNA 19 Sep 2018 -- The agreement between Turkey and Russia to create a demilitarized buffer zone protecting civilians living in Idlib, Syria, has been welcomed by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres.
- Iraqi security forces kill 15 Daesh terrorists IRNA 19 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi security forces killed 15 Daesh terrorists on borders common with Syria.
- South Sudanese soldier who shot UN peacekeeper on Saturday, will face court martial: UN mission chief UN News 19 Sep 2018 -- The South Sudanese soldier who shot and wounded a UN peacekeeper on Saturday is facing a court martial, said David Shearer, head of the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), during a press conference in the capital, Juba.
- Report Accuses South Sudan Troops of Rapes, Killings VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- Children and elderly burned alive. Women gang-raped. Civilians shot, run over with armored vehicles, or hanged from trees and rafters.
- EU Could Accept Partition of Kosovo If Belgrade, Pristina Reach Agreement -Dacic Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- The European Union, in particular the United Kingdom and Germany, could eventually accept the partition of Kosovo as a last-resort solution to the conflict if Belgrade and Pristina agree to it, Serbian Foreign Minister Ivica Dacic said on Wednesday.
- Candidates Absent from Cameroon's English-Speaking Regions VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- Candidates for Cameroon's October 7th presidential election have largely avoided traveling to the restive English-speaking regions where armed separatists have vowed the vote will not take place. But all of them are proposing solutions to the problems that have crippled the English-speaking regions for two years now, leaving at least 300 dead.
- U.S. Again Names Iran As Leading Terrorism Sponsor RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- The United States has once again named Iran as the world's leading state sponsor of terrorism, accusing it of fueling conflicts and undermining governments throughout the Middle East.
- Coordinator for Counterterrorism Nathan A. Sales on the Release of the Country Reports on Terrorism 2017 US Dept. of State 19 Sep 2018 -- Special Briefing by Nathan A. Sales, Ambassador-at-Large and Coordinator for Counterterrorism
- US Official: Islamic State, Al-Qaida Determined and Adaptable VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- U.S. counterterrorism officials say despite major strides in combating and regaining territory from terror groups like Islamic State and al-Qaida, the terror landscape has grown more complex.
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency With Respect to Persons Who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism The White House 19 Sep 2018
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 19 Sep 2018
- Treasury Sanctions Key ISIS Financial Facilitators US Treasury 19 Sep 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action today to designate two Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) financiers pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- 'Shocked' Russian Elections Chief Urges Annulment Of Fraud-Marred Vote RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- Russia's top election official has recommended that regional authorities annul the result of a disputed gubernatorial runoff vote in the Primorye region, where the Communist Party cried foul after the Kremlin-backed incumbent surged ahead at the end of the ballot count.
- Potential Readmission Of Russia's Anti-Doping Agency Sparks Outcry RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- Dozens of athletes, a key Russian whistle-blower, and the World Anti-Doping Agency's (WADA) deputy head have expressed opposition to the lifting of the suspension of Russia's anti-doping agency (RUSADA) this week following a major doping scandal.
- Widow of Poisoned Spy: UK Has Upped Response to Would-Be Assassins VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- The widow of an ex-KGB agent who was poisoned by a radioactive isotope in 2006 says Britain's swift medical and diplomatic response to the recent nerve agent attack on former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter shows some improvement by British officials.
- Full text of September 19th Pyongyang Declaration KBS World Radio 19 Sep 2018 -- South Korea's President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un held summits in Pyongyang from September 18th to the 20th. The two leaders assessed that remarkable achievements had been made since the historic Panmunjeom Declaration was signed, including the two Koreas engaging in close government-level dialogue and communication as well as in nongovernmental exchanges and cooperation in various areas, and taking significant steps toward easing military tensions.
- South Korean President Speaks Before North Korean Citizens for the First Time Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Since the start of the year, the situation on the Korean Peninsula has substantially improved with Pyongyang promising to close its missile test range and completely disassemble its nuclear facilities in Yongbyon.
- Leaders of two Koreas sign document after second face-to-face talks in Pyongyang People's Daily 19 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), and South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday signed a document after their second face-to-face dialogue in Pyongyang.
- Leaders of two Koreas agree to denuclearize peninsula at Pyongyang summit People's Daily 19 Sep 2018 -- Leaders of the two Koreas agreed Wednesday to end military tensions and try to achieve complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.
- Russia rejects US claim of supplying fuel to North Korea Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- Moscow has dismissed allegations by Washington that Russia helped North Korea acquire fuel through transfers at sea in violation of sanctions against Pyongyang.
- 'The Era of no war has started:' Koreas reach new agreements Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- The two Koreas have agreed to take further steps toward peace following a one-on-one meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who is on his first ever visit to Pyongyang.
- Moscow Regrets US Attempt to Control UNSC Regarding N Korea Sanctions Issue Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Earlier in the day, Russia's ambassador to North Korea, Alexander Matsegora, said that the US claims that Russia was "cheating" on the UN Security Council (UNSC) resolution on North Korea were totally groundless and that the state strictly complied with its obligations.
- North, South Korean Leaders in Fact Proclaimed End of State of War - Seoul Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- North Korea and South Korea signed an agreement in defence sector as well as a joint statement following the results of the summit in Pyongyang.
- Pompeo: US Ready to Restart Talks With North Korea VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has welcomed the "important commitments" made by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at a summit with his South Korean counterpart this week.
- N. Korea Kim Agrees to International Inspections, Visit to Seoul VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un announced Wednesday he has agreed to allow international inspectors to observe the dismantlement of facilities key to Pyongyang's missile program. South Korean President Moon Jae-in said during the joint press conference that the era of a war-free Korean Peninsula has begun and invited Kim to Seoul, hopefully by the end of the year.
- Analysts Skeptical as Moon, Kim Move to Improve Inter-Korean Ties VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- The leaders of North and South Korea Wednesday hailed a series of agreements they said were aimed at turning the Koreas into a "land of peace without nuclear weapons and nuclear threats." North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korea's Moon Jae-in Wednesday issued the pledge at a summit in the North's capital, Pyongyang.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Hosts Banquet for President Moon Jae In KCNA 19 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, arranged a banquet for Moon Jae In, president of south Korea visiting Pyongyang for the historic north-south summit, on Tuesday.
- Fifth North-South Summit Held KCNA 19 Sep 2018 -- There took place the historic fifth north-south summit meeting at the office building of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea on September 18.
- S. Korean President Arrives Here for Inter-Korean SummitSupreme Leader Kim Jong Un Greets President Moon Jae In at Pyongyang International Airport KCNA 19 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), warmly greeted Moon Jae In, president of south Korea visiting Pyongyang for the historic north-south summit, at Pyongyang International Airport on Tuesday.
- US envoy says Washington seeks a treaty with Iran Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- The United States says it seeks a treaty with Iran ahead of the next week's United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York.
- Tehran Has Sovereign Right to Develop Missile Program - Moscow Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Moscow believes that the development of the Iranian missile program is Tehran's sovereign right, and all the issues arising in this regard should be resolved without pressure, especially military, at the negotiating table, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told Sputnik.
- Washington Reveals What Deal It Wants to Sign With Iran to Replace JCPOA - Envoy Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- The United States US wants to conclude an agreement with Iran that will take into account both, nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM), Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook said in remarks at the Hudson Institute on Wednesday.
- China to impose additional tariffs on U.S. products worth 60 bln USD People's Daily 19 Sep 2018 -- China announced on Tuesday it will impose additional tariffs on U.S. products worth 60 billion U.S. dollars starting from Sept. 24 in response to the newly announced U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods.
- China slams 'unilateralism' in jab at US Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- China's Premier Li Keqiang has slammed "unilateralism," as a trade war between his country and the United States escalates.
- Iraq oil output to be squeezed until 2028 Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- New estimates show Iraq's oil production would be squeezed for the next decade as a result of what analysts see as a lack of adequate operational infrastructure.
- Iraq's Oil Output Can't Exceed More Than 10% Growth in Next Decade – Report Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- A new report on Iraq's oil production capability says a series of problems, including export bottlenecks caused by a lack of infrastructure, will continue to limit the country's oil output for years to come.
- Pakistan court orders release of former PM Nawaz Sharif, daughter Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- A Pakistani court has suspended prison sentences previously handed down to ousted former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, his daughter, and son-in-law in a corruption case.
- Former Pakistani PM Sharif Freed From Prison On Bail RFE/RL 19 Sep 2018 -- Pakistan's former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, his daughter, and son-in-law have been released from prison after a court suspended their prison sentences in a corruption case.
- Pakistani Court Orders Release of Jailed Ex-PM Nawaz Sharif, His Daughter Sputnik 19 Sep 2018 -- Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and his daughter Maryam Nawaz were convicted by the apex court after his family was found to be linked to offshore companies named in the Panama Papers released in 2015.
- Pakistan Court Suspends Prison Sentence, Frees Ex-PM Sharif VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- A high court in Pakistan has ordered the release of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, his daughter Maryam, and son-in-law Mohammad Safdar, suspending the sentences handed to them for corruption.
- Malaysia arrests former prime minister Najib in corruption case Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has arrested the country's former Prime Minister Najib Razak amid new corruption charges over $628 million allegedly siphoned off from state investment fund 1MDB.
- US prolonging Daesh's life in Syria: Nasrallah Press TV 19 Sep 2018 -- The secretary general of Lebanon's Hezbollah resistance movement has accused the US of prolonging the life of Daesh terrorists in Syria in order to beef up US military presence in the Middle East.
- Zimbabwe Government Pledges Funds to Fight Cholera Outbreak in Harare VOA 19 Sep 2018 -- Zimbabwe's president, Emmerson Mnangagwa, says his government will assist municipalities struggling to fight a cholera outbreak that has killed 32 people and affected more than 3,000 during the past three weeks.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|