18 September 2018 Military News
- Coalition Effort Aims at Stability in Iraq, Syria AFPS 18 Sep 2018 -- The coalition continues to help forces in both Iraq and Syria establish security and stability in areas that have known nothing but oppression since the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria reared its head five years ago, the spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve said today.
- Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Press Briefing By Col. Ryan via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 18 Sep 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Sean J. Ryan, spokesman, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve; Commander Sean Robertson, Pentagon spokesman
- Afghanistan arrests over two dozen Daesh terrorists ahead of Ashura Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Afghanistan's main intelligence agency says its officers have detained at least 26 Daesh Takfiri terrorists who were planning attacks on mourning processions held by Shia Muslims during the upcoming event of Ashura.
- Afghanistan Arrests 26 Suspected IS Militants Accused Of Targeting Shi'a RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- Afghanistan's main intelligence agency says its officers have arrested at least 26 suspected members of the extremist group Islamic State (IS), accusing them of plotting attacks on members of the Shi'ite minority.
- Dozens of IS Fighters Arrested in Kabul VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- Dozens of Islamic State fighters have been arrested in Afghanistan's capital, Kabul, ahead of a religious observance in the country, Afghan officials said Tuesday.
- US Army Soldiers support FEMA, local communities, citizens in ongoing Florence response Army News 18 Sep 2018 -- Damage assessments, rescues, and evacuations continue as U.S. Army Soldiers provide aid and support to FEMA, local communities, and citizens recovering from Hurricane Florence.
- New York National Guard assigned to Hurricane Florence response missions Army News 18 Sep 2018 -- Two CH-47 Chinook heavy lift helicopters departed the New York Army National Guard flight facility in Rochester Monday morning with eight Soldiers to assist in the Hurricane Florence response in South Carolina.
- Northcom Commander: Response Framework Working Well in Florence Aftermath AFPS 18 Sep 2018 -- The National Response Framework is operating as designed as the Carolinas face the aftermath of Hurricane Florence, the commander of U.S. Northern Command said in Raleigh, North Carolina, today.
- Kentucky Air Guard Deploys Search and Recovery Team Following Hurricane Florence AFPS 18 Sep 2018 -- At the request of North Carolina public health officials and to augment the North Carolina Medical Examiner, the Kentucky Air National Guard's 123rd Fatality Search and Recovery Team deployed 11 members to North Carolina yesterday in the wake of Hurricane Florence.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Unveils New Biodefense Strategy VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump introduced the new national strategy for combating disease outbreaks and bioterrorism Tuesday, on the anniversary of the 2001 anthrax attacks on the United States that left five people dead.
- Statement from the President on the National Biodefense Strategy and National Security Presidential Memorandum The White House 18 Sep 2018
- President Donald J. Trump is Strengthening America's Biodefense The White House 18 Sep 2018
- Press Briefing on the National Biodefense Strategy< The White House 18 Sep 2018
- Trump Signs Biodefense Strategy – Official Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has signed a new National Biodefense Strategy to address threats from state and non-state actors, a senior US administration official said during a conference call on Monday.
- New Biodefense Strategy Combats Man-Made, Natural Threats AFPS 18 Sep 2018 -- The new National Biodefense Strategy is a living document designed to counter man-made and natural biological threats, National Security Advisor John Bolton said during a White House briefing today.
- U.S. Fleet Cyber Command Hosts 10th Fleet Commanders' Operational Summit NNS 18 Sep 2018 -- Senior Navy information warfare community leaders from across the world came together for the U.S. Fleet Cyber Command/U.S. 10th Fleet (FCC/C10F) Commanders' Operational Summit at Fort Meade, Md., Sept. 5-6.
- Goldfein delivers 2018 AF update during AFA AFNS 18 Sep 2018 -- Chief of Staff of the Air Force Gen. David L. Goldfein delivered his speech at the Air Force Association's Air, Space and Cyber Conference, Sept. 18, emphasizing how the service must prepare the Air Force We Need and present it to combatant commanders to compete, deter and win.
- The Force We Present: Future of AF operations AFNS 18 Sep 2018 -- As the Air Force highlights revitalizing squadrons and the need to improve readiness to contend with near peer adversaries, the Air Force deputy chief of staff of operations spoke to an audience about "The Force We Present" and the necessity for coming changes in military operations during the Air Force Association's Air, Space and Cyber Conference in National Harbor, Sept. 17, 2018.
- En Route to Macedonia Press Gaggle by Secretary Mattis DoD 18 Sep 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Navy Awards Three Littoral Combat Ships NNS 18 Sep 2018 -- The Navy awarded modifications to previously awarded littoral combat ship (LCS) contracts for one Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 LCS to Lockheed Martin and two FY 2018 LCSs to Austal USA, Sept. 18.
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group Begins Operations in U.S. 6th Fleet NNS 18 Sep 2018 -- The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) has commenced operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations to continue support to NATO allies, European and African partner nations, coalition partners, and U.S. national security interest in Europe and Africa.
- New Official Mail Delivery System Installed at NAS Jacksonville NNS 18 Sep 2018 -- Collecting mail for your command just got easier at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, thanks to the Pitney Bowes mail delivery system, installed by NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center Jacksonville to support official mail delivery and pickup for NAS Jacksonville tenant commands, Sept. 13.
- US Air Force plans massive expansion to confront Russia, China Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- The US Air Force plans to return to Cold War firepower levels by adding more bombers, fighters, tankers and other frontline units -- part of President Donald Trump's vision of a stronger military to confront Russia and China.
- US to Consider Establishing Permanent Military Base in Poland - Trump Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday in a meeting with Polish President Andrzej Duda at the White House that the two would discuss establishing a permanent US military base in Poland.
- US Air Force Demands 74 More Squadrons to Prepare for Major Conflict – Reports Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- US Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson called for a 24% growth in the number of squadrons by 2030, claiming that the additional aircraft would be necessary to prepare for a possible conflict against major nations and extremist groups.
- Defense Intel Chief Puts Great Power Competition in Context AFPS 18 Sep 2018 -- People told the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency that in his speech to the Center for Strategic and International Studies he should just say "Great power competition, artificial intelligence" and then drop the mic and walk off.
- US Air Force Secretary Offers Critiques on Costly $13 Billion Space Force Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- In a September 14 memo obtained this week by US military news site Defense One, Heather Wilson, the United States secretary of the Air Force, pushed back on several proposals for the Trump administration's Space Force, which is estimated to cost some $13 billion in its first five years.
- Deputy Secretary General welcomes Colombian Foreign Minister to NATO NATO 18 Sep 2018 -- Deputy Secretary General Rose Gottemoeller welcomed Colombian Foreign Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo to NATO Headquarters on Tuesday (18 September 2018). Ms. Gottemoeller and Mr. Trujillo welcomed the deepening ties between the Alliance and Bogotá, and discussed the regional security context in Colombia.
- Australia-China joint military exercise kicks off in Canberra People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- The opening ceremony of Exercise Pandaroo 2018 was held here on Monday, marking the start of a joint exercise by soldiers from the Australian Army and the Chinese People's Liberation Army.
- Lift-off: F-35 take-off technology site opens ahead of historic flight trials UK MOD 18 Sep 2018 -- A state-of-the-art new facility making unique vertical lift technology for fighter jets has been opened by Defence Minister Stuart Andrew in Bristol today.
- India's Home-Made Breathing Apparatus to Enable 45-min Deep Fording of T-90 Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The apparatus will enable T-90 tank crews to conduct deep fording for at least 45 minutes. State-owned defense lab DRDO is expected to transfer the technology to the private sector for mass production, following which they will be made available to the army starting 2019.
- S-400 Deal With Russia in Last Stage of Finalization - Indian Defense Minister Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The Indian government has conveyed its position to the US on several occasions, including the first 2+2 ministerial dialogue recently concluded in New Delhi, that it will go ahead with the procurement of the Russian air defense systems despite sanctions.
- India Starts Smart Fencing of Border With Pakistan Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The high-tech surveillance system will create an invisible electronic barrier on land, water and even in the air and underground. The smart border fencing will help India's Border Security Force (BSF) to detect and foil infiltration bids.
- Ukraine to Build Naval Base Along Turbulent Azov Sea Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The Ukrainian government announced on Sunday plans for a naval base along the Sea of Azov, a body of water situated between Crimea, Ukraine and Russia.
- Qatari jet export deal swings into action UK MOD 18 Sep 2018 -- Qatar's deal to buy 24 Typhoon jets and nine Hawks is now officially effective after BAE Systems received its first payment today.
- Department Press Briefing - September 18, 2018 US Dept. of State 18 Sep 2018
- 18 September 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 18 Sep 2018
- Bring the United Nations closer to the people, urges Assembly President in her inaugural speech UN News 18 Sep 2018 -- The new session of the United Nations General Assembly opened on Wednesday with its President pledging to use her year in office to bring the world body closer to the people and strengthen their sense of ownership and support for the UN.
- Ansarullah leader: Yemenis demand peace, security and stability IRNA 18 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni Ansarullah leader Abdul Malek Badr al-Din al-Houthi said that the Yemeni people seek peace, security and stability in their country, in Sana'a during a meeting with the UN Special Representative for Yemen on Monday.
- Saudi-Led Coalition Announces Large-Scale Offensive on Hodeidah Port in Yemen Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The Arab coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates announced the launch of a large-scale military operation to liberate the Yemeni port city of Al Hodeidah on the Red Sea from Shiite militants from Ansar Allah movement, the commander of coalition forces on Yemen's west coast Gen. Ali Taniji said Tuesday.
- Downed Russian Aircraft US Dept. of State 18 Sep 2018
- Russia holds Israel accountable for Russian aircraft downing IRNA 18 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Defense Ministry held the Israeli entity accountable for the destruction of the Russian aircraft in Syria.
- Putin: Syrian Downing of Russian Jet Was 'Tragic, Accidental' VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday called the downing of a Russian military plane by Syria "a chain of tragic, accidental circumstances," tamping down what could have turned into a tense situation with Israel.
- U.S. sees missing Russian aircraft accidentally downed by Syrian forces: report People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- The United States believed that the Russian aircraft that went missing on Monday over the Mediterranean had been mistakenly shot down by Syrian forces, U.S. media reported on Monday citing a U.S. official with knowledge of the incident.
- Russian aircraft with 14 aboard goes off radar near Hmeymim airbase in Syria People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- A Russian aircraft with 14 servicemen on board went off radar near Hmeymim airbase in Syria Monday evening, the Russian defense ministry said in a statement.
- Israeli aerial operations in violation of Syria's sovereignty, Putin says Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says the Israeli military's aerial operations in the Syrian airspace are in flagrant violation of the incumbent Damascus government's sovereignty as tensions are simmering between Moscow and Tel Aviv over the downing of the Russian Ilyushin Il-20 reconnaissance aircraft in the western Syrian province of Latakia.
- Russia: Deliberate Israeli provocation led to plane downing Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Russia blames Israeli warplanes for "creating a dangerous situation" that led to the shooting down of a Russian military plane by Syrian air defense systems, saying it reserves the right to give a due response to the hostile action.
- Russian plane with 14 on board goes off radars amid Israeli air raids on Syria Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- A Russian military Il-20 plane carrying 14 service members disappeared from radars on Monday night as four Israeli jet fighters were attacking state institutions in Syria's Latakia.
- Israel Rejects Russian Blame For Deadly Downing Of Surveillance Plane By Syria RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- Syrian air defenses inadvertently shot down a Russian surveillance plane over the eastern Mediterranean Sea, Moscow has said, blaming what it called reckless actions by Israel that led to the deaths of 15 Russian servicemen.
- Il-20 Accidentally Downed by Syria: Putin Calls Incident Tragic Chain of Events Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- A Russian military aircraft went off radar near Hmeymim Airbase on Monday, which coincided with Israeli strikes on Syrian targets in Latakia. On Tuesday, the Russian MoD stated that the plane was downed by Syrian air defenses after Israeli jets used it as cover. In light of the revelations, Sputnik has rounded up the key details about the incident.
- F-16s Were Already in Israeli Airspace When Syria Hit Russian Aircraft - IDF Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The IDF stated earlier in the day that Israel would share all information on the incident with Moscow, also expressing regret over the deaths of the Russian troops and put the blame on Damascus and Tehran.
- Downed Il-20 Was on Recon Mission Over Idlib De-Escalation Zone – Russian MoD Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- The Russian Hmeymim airbase had lost contact with the crew of the Russian Il-20 military aircraft late on Monday during the attack of four Israeli F-16 aircraft on Syrian targets in the province of Latakia.
- Putin: Israel Didn't Down Il-20, Chain of Tragic Circumstances Led to Incident Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- Vladimir Putin has addressed the downing of a Russian IL-20 by a Syrian surface-to-air missile on Monday evening. Earlier Moscow blamed Israeli jets for having provoked the tragic accident.
- Agreement over buffer zone to spare civilians in Syria's Idlib welcomed by top UN officials UN News 18 Sep 2018 -- The agreement between Turkey and Russia to create a demilitarized buffer zone protecting civilians living in Idlib, Syria, has been welcomed by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres and the world body's humanitarian chief, who called on all warring parties and countries supporting them to make it effective.
- UN Chief Welcomes De-escalation in Syria's Idlib VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- The U.N. secretary-general has welcomed an agreement reached Monday between the presidents of Russia and Turkey to create a demilitarized buffer zone in Syria's Idlib region, saying it should "avert" a full-scale military operation and provide a reprieve for some three-million civilians."The secretary-general calls on all the parties in Syria to cooperate in the implementation of the agreement and ensure safe and unimpeded humanitarian access in all areas through the most direct routes," António Guterres' spokesperson said in a statement Tuesday.
- Russia: Idleb Agreement stresses fighting terrorism in Syria IRNA 18 Sep 2018 -- Russia's Representative at the UN Vasily Nebenzya said that the agreement on Idleb in Sochi emphasizes the fight against terrorism in Syria and that Syrians have the right to decide the future of their country according to UNSC resolution no. 2254.
- Syria welcomes agreement on Idleb announced in Sochi IRNA 18 Sep 2018 -- Syria has welcomed the agreement on Idleb Province announced Monday in the Russian city of Sochi, stressing that it was an outcome of intensive consultations between it and the Russian Federation with complete coordination between the two countries.
- Defense Minister: Russia not to engage in Idlib IRNA 18 Sep 2018 -- Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu announced that his country will not conduct military operations in Syria.
- Turkey needs to send more troops to Idlib under deal with Russia: FM Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says his country will need to deploy more troops to Syria's militant-held northwestern province of Idlib following an agreement with Russia, which entails a demilitarized zone in the crisis-plagued area.
- Iran welcomes Turkey-Russia deal on buffer zone in Syria's Idlib Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Iran has welcomed a recent agreement reached between Turkey and Russia to create a buffer zone in Syria's Idlib Province, the last major terrorist bastion in the Arab country.
- Iran Hails 'Responsible Diplomacy' After Turkey, Russia Agree On Idlib Plan RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- Tehran, Damascus, and Syrian opposition groups have welcomed an agreement between Russia and Turkey to avert an assault on Syria's last major rebel stronghold in the northwestern province of Idlib.
- Turkey Could Deploy Additional Troops to Idlib Under Deal With Russia - Ankara Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed on September 17 to create a demilitarized zone along the contact line between the armed opposition and government troops in Idlib by October 15.
- Kurdish Militants Vow 'New Resistance' Against Iran Following Missile Attacks VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Kurdish militants who were targeted by Iranian missile strikes earlier this month at a headquarters in Iraqi Kurdistan have declared intentions to step up their activities against the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- Iraq to send troops along border to stop Turkish 'violations' Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Iraq has announced plans to deploy troops along the border with Turkey in an effort to defend the frontier against any "violations" of its territory and airspace.
- ICC launches investigation into Myanmar's crimes against Rohingya Muslims Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- The International Criminal Court has opened a preliminary probe into Myanmar military's crimes, including killings, sexual violence and forced deportations, against members of the Rohingya Muslim minority group in the Southeast Asian nation.
- UN: Myanmar generals should face genocide charges Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations (UN) has reiterated its call for the prosecution of Myanmar's top military officials for what the international body has conclusively decided is genocide against the Rohingya Muslim minority group.
- Make the guns fall silent. 'Immediately and everywhere": South Sudan envoy UN News 18 Sep 2018 -- Warring parties in South Sudan must demonstrate their willingness to a peaceful end to their conflict by "making their guns fall silent. Immediately and everywhere," said Nicholas Haysom, outgoing UN Special Envoy for Sudan and South Sudan, on Tuesday.
- UN chief welcomes meeting between leaders of Djibouti and Eritrea UN News 18 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has welcomed the meeting between the Presidents of Djibouti and Eritrea, held on Monday in Saudi Arabia, as "yet another step in the consolidation of recent peace and security gains in the Horn of Africa region".
- Eritrea: Peace deal prompts hope of internal reforms, to improve fundamental human rights UN News 18 Sep 2018 -- The peace agreement between Eritrea and Ethiopia has raised hopes that improving human rights will be front and centre on Eritrea's path forward, according to a United Nations Special Rapporteur on Tuesday.
- Trump Accuses China of Trying to 'Change' US Election VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump accused China Tuesday of "actively trying to impact and change" the U.S. election and threatened "great and fast economic retaliation" if it retaliates with measures that would hurt American workers.
- Berlin Hospital Says 'Highly Plausible' Russian Activist Was Poisoned RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- German doctors treating Pyotr Verzilov have said that the anti-Kremlin activist was probably poisoned, and a Moscow newspaper reports a possible connection with the killing of three Russian journalists in the Central African Republic (C.A.R.) in July.
- Tension Builds In Russian Far East Region After Disputed Vote Count RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- Rival contenders for the governorship in a Russian Pacific region girded for court battles, and more protests, after an unusual last-minute vote count in a runoff election gave victory to the ruling party incumbent.
- Name Your Poison: Exotic Toxins Fell Kremlin Foes RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- The suspected poisoning of anti-Kremlin activist Pyotr Verzilov in Moscow -- just a few months after nerve-agent poisonings in Britain that led to one death and left three others severely ill -- conjures up memories of other Kremlin foes who have fallen victim to toxic attacks in the Vladimir Putin era and previously.
- U.K. Judge Rules Spy Evidence On Dead Russian Businessman Should Stay Secret RFE/RL 18 Sep 2018 -- Material about possible links between British spy agencies and a Russian businessman who died in mysterious circumstances in Britain nearly six years ago will remain secret, a judge has ruled.
- Germany's Intel Chief Dismissed Over Migration Dispute With Merkel - Reports Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- Head of the German domestic intelligence agency Hans-Georg Maassen previously faced harsh criticism after he expressed doubts over the authenticity of the footage showing alleged attacks by right-wing activists on migrants in Chemnitz.
- German Spymaster Ousted Over Anti-Migrant Violence VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- The head of Germany's domestic intelligence agency has been transferred from his job just weeks after he made remarks that appeared to downplay anti-migrant violence.
- S.Korean president hopes his DPRK visit leads to resumption of DPRK-U.S. talks People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Tuesday that his visit to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) would be a success if it helps to restart the DPRK-U.S. dialogue.
- S. Korean president arrives in Pyongyang for summit with DPRK top leader People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in arrived in Pyongyang on Tuesday for a much-anticipated meeting with Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), the third inter-Korean summit this year.
- Top DPRK leader Kim greets South Korea's Moon at airport People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in arrived in Pyongyang Tuesday morning and was received with a grand welcome ceremony led by Kim Jong-un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- North Korean leader says wants 'bigger outcome' from summit with South Korea Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says he seeks "bigger outcome at a faster pace" in a three-day summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in in Pyongyang than the two leaders of the Korean Peninsula have achieved so far.
- 'US backs down from UNSC meeting with focus on Iran' Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- The US administration is reportedly distancing itself from a plan recently unveiled by its UN Ambassador Nikkie Haley to single out Iran at an upcoming UN Security Council meeting, fearing a backlash from its own allies over Washington's exit from the 2015 nuclear deal.
- China to take countermeasure after US imposes new tariffs People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- China will have to take countermeasures to respond to the US' fresh tariff decision, in a move to safeguard the country's legitimate interests and the global free trade order, the Ministry of Commerce said on Tuesday.
- Sino-Russian military cooperation highlights close bilateral ties People's Daily 18 Sep 2018 -- China's participation in the joint military exercise between China and Russia, dubbed Vostok-2018 or East-2018, which took place from Sept. 11 to 17, indicates strengthened military cooperation and bilateral ties between the two sides, an expert noted.
- China decides to retaliate new US tariffs Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- China has decided to take countermeasures hours after US President Donald Trump's announcement of new tariffs on 200 billion dollars' worth of Chinese imports, amid an escalating trade war.
- Two Chinese Media Outlets Must Register as Foreign Agents with US Justice Dept. Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- Chinese media outlets Xinhua News Agency and China Global Television Network have been ordered to register with the US Department of Justice as "foreign agents," the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.
- China Retaliates for $200 Billion in US Tariffs VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- China says it has no choice but to retaliate to U.S. President Donald Trump's 10 percent tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese goods, risking a further escalation of trade tensions between the world's two biggest economies.
- Allies asked to speak for Taiwan at U.N. General Assembly: MOFA CNA 18 Sep 2018 -- The government has asked its diplomatic allies to speak up for Taiwan at this year's United Nations General Assembly to express the country's hope of participating in U.N.-related events, an official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
- Taiwan calls for EU support amid China's intensified suppression CNA 18 Sep 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) called Tuesday for support from the international community and urged like-minded allies in Europe to team up with Taiwan in its pursuit of democracy and freedom amid growing pressure from China.
- Iraqi Hashd Sha'abi leader says he won't run for premiership Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Secretary General of Iraq's Badr Organization, who is also the leader of the political Fatah (Conquest) Alliance and the pro-government Hashd al-Sha'abi (Popular Mobilization Units), has withdrawn his candidacy for prime minister, stressing the need for political consensus in order to make progress in the Arab country's political process.
- Pakistan's Imran Khan vows to give citizenship to some Afghans, Bengalis Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- Pakistan's new premier Imran Khan has vowed to give citizenship to some Afghan refugees and Bengali immigrants, officials confirmed Monday, granting rights to many who have lived in the country for decades.
- President Putin says Russia will start building 2 nuclear reactors in Hungary soon Press TV 18 Sep 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin has said that Russia will start construction of two new reactors in Hungary soon.
- Hungary's Orban Warms to Putin Over Nuclear Deal VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- Russia has reiterated its commitment to investing tens of billions of dollars in Hungary's energy sector, despite the ongoing European sanctions against Moscow. Russian President Vladimir Putin backed the deal Tuesday after hosting Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban at the Kremlin.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|