10 September 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 10 Sep2018 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Target ISIS Terrorists in Syria, Iraq AFPS 10 Sep 2018 -- The coalition and its partners continued to strike Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq between Sept. 3-9, conducting 16 strikes consisting of 22 engagements, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- US-Led Coalition Denies Units in Syria Equipped With Whites Phosphorus Munitions Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- On Monday the US-led coalition refuted accusations of using prohibited phosphorus munitions is the Syrian province of Deir ez-Zor.
- US Reportedly Reinforces Base in E Syria Amid Looming Idlib Offensive Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Media reports that surfaced earlier have suggested that the US has also reinforced its al-Tanf military base in southeastern Syria amid allegations that Moscow had warned Washington about planned strikes against militants in the region.
- Taliban Kills 14 Afghan Police Officers in Northern Samangan Province – Reports Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- At least 14 Afghan police officers were killed as a result of an attack by the Taliban* radical movement in the country's northern Samangan province, the 1TV broadcaster reported Monday, citing spokesman for the provincial governor Seddiq Azizi.
- Three Taliban heads killed in Afghanistan IRNA 10 Sep 2018 -- Afghan government forces have killed three prominent Taliban leaders along with 10 fighters of the terrorist group in separate clashes in the provinces of Ghor, Baghlan and Badghis.
- Taliban Militants Launch New Deadly Attacks In Afghanistan RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Taliban militants killed dozens of Afghan security forces in fresh attacks on several government targets, according to officials.
- IS Claims Responsibility For Deadly Kabul Procession Bombing RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- The Islamic State (IS) militant group has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack near a procession in the Afghan capital commemorating the death of a revered resistance leader that killed at least seven people.
- 'More support' vital to put Afghanistan back on a 'positive trajectory' – top UN officials UN News 10 Sep 2018 -- After four decades of conflict and insecurity, and with elections to be held in the coming months against a backdrop of growing humanitarian need, Afghanistan needs more support than ever to tackle its challenges, said the United Nations humanitarian and refugee chiefs on Monday after a joint two-day visit in the country.
- Taliban Overruns Northern District, Kills Dozens of Afghan Troops VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- The Islamist Taliban in northern Afghanistan has captured a strategically important district near the border with Turkmenistan and threatened a provincial capital, killing dozens of Afghan troops in a series of battlefield attacks.
- Southeastern States Prepare for Hurricane Florence AFPS 10 Sep 2018 -- Emergency preparations have been underway over the weekend in Virginia and other southeastern states in advance of an anticipated strike this week by Hurricane Florence.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Augmenting the AOR: Cable Dawgs connect service members to the fight AFNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Communications, in some shape or form, touch every single part of the Combined Joint Task Force – Operation Inherent Resolve mission. From advanced air-strike capabilities to a simple phone call home; a simple fiber cable, often less than .05 millimeters in diameter, can change a missed opportunity into a successful mission.
- C5F's Theater Counter Mine and Maritime Security Exercise NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Navy and coalition assets are leading numerous exercises as part of the greater U.S. 5th Fleet Theater Counter Mine and Maritime Security Exercise.
- U.S., Canada Commence Bilateral Maritime Ops NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) and the Royal Canadian Navy are conducting bilateral operations in the North Atlantic Sept. 10-12.
- Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Strengthens Relationships with Egyptian Navy NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Vice Adm. Lisa Franchetti, commander, U.S. 6th Fleet, visited the Commander-in-Chief of the Egyptian Navy, Vice-Admiral Ahmed Khaled in Alexandria, Egypt, Sept. 7-8, 2018.
- SPAWAR Enterprise Uses 3D Printing Technology to Rapidly Deliver Warfighting Solutions NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) Enterprise experts in three-dimensional scanning and printing rapidly developed and delivered an effective and reliable solution to repair a critical piece of warfighting equipment, the AN/TRC-194 antenna, with the final of three upgrades delivered August 31.
- NAE Leaders During Tailhook Flag Panel: Our Number One Priority is Readiness NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Seven Navy flag officers talked with members of the naval aviation community participating in a flag panel during the 2018 Tailhook Association Reunion in Reno, Nevada.
- Naval Aviation Enterprise Leaders Deliver Update at 2018 Tailhook Reunion NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Navy aviation leaders spoke with industry partners, active-duty commanding officers and executive officers and delivered updates on Naval Aviation Enterprise goals, requirements and progress toward readiness at the 2018 Tailhook Reunion in Reno, Nevada.
- Essex ARG/13th MEU with Embarked F-35B Enters Central Command NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Earlier this month, the Marine Corps F-35B Lightning II entered the Central Command area of operations for the first time.
- Kearsarge Successfully Completes ARGMEUEX NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- The Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) returned to her homeport of Naval Station Norfolk, Sept. 9, after completing Amphibious Ready Group, Marine Expeditionary Unit Exercise (ARGMEUEX).
- USFF Directs Norfolk Ships to Sortie, Installations Set TCCOR III NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- Commander, U.S. Fleet Forces Command ordered all Navy ships in the Hampton Roads area to set Sortie Condition Alpha; ships are completing final preparations and will begin to sortie today, ahead of Hurricane Florence.
- USNS Carson City Exits Black Sea NNS 10 Sep 2018 -- The Spearhead-class expeditionary fast transport ship USNS Carson City (T-EPF 7) departed the Black Sea Aug. 30 after conducting various operations in the area.
- Russia's 'Biggest-Ever' War Games Claims Seen As Message To West RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Russia this week is staging war games in Siberia and the Far East that the Kremlin has described as "the largest-ever" military-training drills on Russian territory.
- Russia to Hold Largest Military Exercises in Nearly 4 Decades VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- Russia is preparing to hold its largest military drills in almost 40 years beginning Tuesday in eastern Siberia.
- India's Anti-Pakistan Diplomacy Goes Awry; Nepal, Thailand Skip Military Drill Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Nepal's decision to skip the BIMSTEC military drill has posed a big question mark over the Indian government's diplomatic adventurism pushing for the revival of the seven-member BIMSTEC in place of SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) in a bid to marginalize Pakistan in the region.
- India Joins Elite Club Possessing Air-to-Air Fighter Jet Refueling Capability Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- India's long-delayed Tejas fighter jet program has successfully demonstrated its air-to-air refueling capability during a trial involving an Ilyushin Il-78MKI tanker. The fighter jet used a Cobham-supplied refueling probe to connect with the tanker's hose-and-drogue system.
- Iran never negotiates its missile capability: Defense advisor IRNA 10 Sep 2018 -- Iran will never hold talks on its missile systems under any conditions, Iranian defense advisor said, stressing 'US assessment of talks was wrong.'
- Japan – E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircraft DSCA 10 Sep 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Japan of up to nine (9) E-2D Advanced Hawkeye (AHE) Airborne Early Warning and Control (AEW&C) aircraft for an estimated cost of $3.135 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Sept. 7, 2018.
- Pashinian: Moscow To Continue Supply Of Weapons To Yerevan RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Russia has agreed to continue to supply weapons to Armenia, the Caucasus country's prime minister, Nikol Pashinian, told the Kommersant newspaper in an interview.
- Afghan Counterterror Brigade to Train in China Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Beijing and Kabul are poised to deepen military relations by sending troops from Afghanistan to train in China, according to the Afghan ambassador to China.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders and CEA Chairman Kevin Hassett The White House 10 Sep 2018
- 10 September 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 10 Sep 2018
- 76 Saudi soldiers killed, wounded last month in Yemen IRNA 10 Sep 2018 -- According to a recent survey, 53 Saudi soldiers were killed and 23 others wounded in the battlefields last month, according to a source in Yemen's army and popular committees.
- New UN rights chief urges Saudi accountability on civilian deaths in Yemen Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations human rights boss Michelle Bachelet has called on Saudi Arabia to hold to account the perpetrators of deadly airstrikes on civilians in Yemen.
- US, Allies Agree to 'Stronger Response' if Syria Uses Chemical Weapons - Bolton Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- The United States, Britain and France have agreed that any use of chemical weapons by the government of Syria would result in a much stronger response than in previous incidents, US National Security Adviser John Bolton stated in Washington, DC.
- UN: 30,000 Syrians Displaced Since Beginning of Month VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- Some 30,000 people have fled their homes in northwest Syria this month to escape an assault by the government and allied forces on the country's last major rebel stronghold, Idlib, the United Nations said Monday.
- Turkey Sends Reinforcements to North of Syria - Militant Group Spokesman Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- The Turkish army keeps sending reinforcements to the north of Syria, Wael Alwan, a spokesman for Syrian militant group Faylaq al-Sham, told Sputnik on Monday.
- Libya's national oil company HQs comes under attack Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- Unknown gunmen have attacked the headquarters of Libya's national oil company in the capital, Tripoli, reportedly taking a number of people hostage.
- UN condemns 'cowardly' attack on Libya's national oil corporation headquarters UN News 10 Sep 2018 -- The UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) has strongly condemned Monday's attack on the National Oil Company (NOC) headquarters in Tripoli.
- UN calls for new body to prosecute Myanmar crimes Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- The United Nations (UN)'s new human rights chief has called for the establishment of "an independent international mechanism" to prepare criminal indictments against Myanmar's military for atrocities committed against the Rohingya Muslim community.
- Closure of the PLO Office in Washington US Dept. of State 10 Sep 2018 -- "The Administration has determined after careful review that the office of the General Delegation of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) in Washington should close. "
- US Closes Palestinian Liberation Organization Office in Washington Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- The US State Department officially announced the closure of the Palestinian Liberation Organization's (PLO) office in Washington, DC Monday, vowing to continue efforts in the peace process between Israel and Palestine.
- US announces closure of Palestinian mission in Washington Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- The US State Department has announced it is ordering the closure of the Washington mission of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), a move that has drawn strong reaction from Palestinians.
- Egypt security forces kill nearly dozen militants in restive Sinai Peninsula Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- Egyptian security forces have killed at least 11 Takfiri militants in the Sinai Peninsula in an ongoing campaign to quash extremists in the restive region.
- Baku Slams Armenian PM Over Nagorno-Karabakh Remark In Moscow RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Baku has criticized Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian over his latest statement concerning the future status of Nagorno-Karabakh, a breakaway region disputed by Armenia and Azerbaijan.
- Serbian President's Praise Of Milosevic A 'Provocation,' Neighbors Say RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic's praise of Slobodan Milosevic as a "great" leader has triggered condemnations from Balkan neighbors and the European Union.
- ICRC: Cease-Fire in South Sudan Appears to Be Holding VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross reports some positive signs indicate South Sudan's recent peace agreement is holding and may lead to a sustainable end to years of conflict.
- Are Somali Troops Prepared to Lead the War Against al-Shabab? VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- As the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) prepares to implement the planned phased withdrawal of more than 21,000 troops fighting militant groups, including al-Shabab and the Islamic State in Somalia, some experts are concerned that the country may not be prepared to take on the task in the face of growing political divisions and lack of military equipment and training.
- Bolton threatens sanctions against ICC judges who probe US war crimes Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- White House National Security Adviser John Bolton has threatened sanctions against International Criminal Court (ICC) judges who plan to probe alleged war crimes committed by Americans in Afghanistan, saying it constitutes an assault on US sovereignty.
- Bolton Threatens 'Dangerous' International Criminal Court With Sanctions RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- The United States has threatened to impose sanctions on International Criminal Court (ICC) officials if they go ahead with an investigation into alleged war crimes committed by U.S. personnel in Afghanistan.
- US Vows to Use Any Means to Protect Citizens, Allies From 'Unjust' ICC Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- The US National Security Advisor, who has openly expressed his hostility to the international court on more than one occasion, was expected to declare that it was "dead" to the Trump administration.
- US: No Cooperation with ICC Probe of Alleged Afghan War Crimes VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- The United States said Monday it would refuse to cooperate "in any way" with the International Criminal Court in The Hague if it carries out a prospective investigation into allegations of war crimes by U.S. military and intelligence personnel in Afghanistan.
- Notice Regarding the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Certain Terrorist Attacks The White House 10 Sep 2018
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 10 Sep 2018
- Russia's Ruling Party Faces Runoffs In Four Gubernatorial Races RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Four candidates from Russia's ruling United Russia party have failed to secure first-round victories in gubernatorial elections over the weekend and will now face their respective challengers in a runoff.
- Putin Meets With Japan's Abe, Pledges 'Close Contacts' On North Korea RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, discussing North Korea's nuclear program and other issues in the first of several planned meetings with visiting Asian leaders.
- North Korea Reportedly Concealing Further Nuclearization from US Intelligence Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Despite a sizeable rapprochement between North Korea and the US during the landmark June summit in Singapore, when North Korea vowed to denuclearize, reports have been increasingly emerging of the Asian country not sticking to the agreed upon deal.
- N. Korea's Kim Asks Trump for Another Meeting in New Letter VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un sent a letter requesting a second meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump, the White House said Monday.
- Military Parade, Public Procession Mark 70th Birthday of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2018 -- A military parade and a public procession of Pyongyang citizens for celebrating the 70th birthday of the DPRK took place with splendor in
- National Meeting Marks 70th Founding Anniversary of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2018 -- A national meeting took place at the May Day Stadium in Pyongyang on Sunday to celebrate the 70th founding anniversary of the DPRK.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Meets Li Zhanshu KCNA 10 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, met with Li Zhanshu, member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the C.C., the Communist Party of China (CPC) and chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China (PRC), who is on a visit to the DPRK as special envoy of Xi Jinping, general secretary of the C.C., CPC, and president of the PRC, at the office building of the Central Committee of the WPK on Sunday.
- DPRK holds mass parade to celebrate Foundation Day People's Daily 10 Sep 2018 -- A massive parade was held in Kim Il Sung Square in central Pyongyang on Sunday morning to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Xi sends congratulatory message to Kim Jong Un on DPRK's 70th founding anniversary People's Daily 10 Sep 2018 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and Chinese president, on Sunday sent a congratulatory message to Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), on the 70th founding anniversary of the DPRK.
- North Korea: Ball now in US court on denuclearization Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says he will not take any unilateral steps towards the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and is instead awaiting a US response to the measures Pyongyang has already taken, a senior Russian official who met him this weekend says.
- IAEA: Iran complying with JCPOA commitments IRNA 10 Sep 2018 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano in a statement announced that Iran has complied with its commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)
- IAEA says Iran still continues to comply with nuclear commitments ISNA 10 Sep 2018 -- International Atomic Energy Agency chief Yukiya Amano once again affirmed Iran compliance with the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Iran's oil revenues up 60% year-on-year Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- The latest official figures show that Iran's oil revenues over a period of four months starting March 21, 2018 saw a whopping rise compared to the same period last year.
- Iran gives tenfold response to any hostile move: Shamkhani Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- A senior Iranian security official has warned against the consequences of any hostile action against Tehran, saying the era of "hit and run" is over.
- Iran implementing commitments under nuclear deal: Amano Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Yukiya Amano says Iran is living up to all its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal.
- Diaper Dilemma Grips Iranians As Economy, Currency Slide RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- The times they are a changin'. But in Iran, families with infants are struggling to do the same.
- Iran Security Chief: Tehran to Respond to Any Hostile Action Tenfold - Report Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, stated the day before that the power of Iranian forces should be increased in order to "scare off the enemy," following a series of statements about plans for a military build-up by top officials of the Islamic Republic.
- China launches first domestically built icebreaker People's Daily 10 Sep 2018 -- China is launching its first domestically built research icebreaker, Xuelong 2, or Snow Dragon 2, on Monday, and plans to officially put it into service in the first half of 2019, according to its builder.
- China vows to 'resolutely protect' trade rights in face of US tariffs Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry says Beijing will respond if the United States takes any new steps on trade after Washington threatened to levy additional taxes on practically all Chinese imports.
- Human Rights Watch Assails Chinese Treatment Of Muslim Uyghur Minority RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- China is carrying out a "mass, systematic campaign of human rights violations" against its mostly Muslim Uyghur minority population, Human Rights Watch (HRW) says.
- China Prepared to Resist if US Adds Support for Taiwan's Foreign Relations VOA 10 Sep 2018 -- China is expected to use its economic strength to counter any U.S. actions aimed at helping Chinese political rival Taiwan regain a world diplomatic foothold after losing much of it under pressure from Beijing.
- Turkish court sentences 115 suspects to jail over affiliation to Gulen movement Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- A court in Turkey has handed down jail terms to more than 100 people, including former air force officers, on suspicion of affiliation to a movement led by US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having masterminded the July 2016 coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Failed Maduro assassination part of US plans for coup: Venezuelan official Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- Diosdado Cabello, speaker of the ruling Constituent Assembly of Venezuela has claimed that the US was behind the failed drone assassination of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- Sudan's Bashir dissolves government amid economic crisis Press TV 10 Sep 2018 -- Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir has dissolved the government and appointed a new prime minister in a move aimed at fixing the country's ailing economy.
- Sudanese President Dissolves National Accord Government - Reports Sputnik 10 Sep 2018 -- On Sunday evening Sudanese President Omar Bashir ordered the country's Government of National Accord be dissolved, while the number of ministries in the country should be reduced from 31 to 21, local media reported.
- Armenia To Hold First Major Election Since Power Change RFE/RL 10 Sep 2018 -- Yerevan's municipal election campaign formally kicked off on September 10, with 12 political parties and alliances taking part.
- Pervasive corruption costs $2.6 trillion; disproportionately affects 'poor and vulnerable' says UN chief UN News 10 Sep 2018 -- Corruption is present in all countries, "rich and poor, North and South, developed and developing," United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres told the Security Council on Monday, at a session on tackling corruption for the sake of peace and international security.
- 'Direct existential threat' of climate change nears point of no return, warns UN chief UN News 10 Sep 2018 -- The world risks crossing the point of no return on climate change, with disastrous consequences for people across the planet and the natural systems that sustain them, the United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres warned on Monday, calling for more leadership and greater ambition for climate action, to reverse course.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|