08 September 2018 Military News
- American marines fire shots to warn Russian forces in Syria Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- US Marines stationed in Syria have fired air and artillery shots into a desert area in south to send Russian forces a warning.
- U.S. Seeks to Mitigate Risk, Learn Ground Truth in Afghanistan AFPS 08 Sep 2018 -- Taliban reconciliation with the Afghan government is at the core of the peace program in Afghanistan, but it will be a difficult path to tread, the spokesman for NATO's Resolute Support mission and the U.S. Operation Freedom's Sentinel said yesterday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., India Talks Demonstrate Shared Commitment, Pentagon Official Says AFPS 08 Sep 2018 -- The Sept. 6 "two-plus-two" dialogue in New Delhi between Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo and Defense Secretary James N. Mattis and their Indian counterparts provided "a demonstrable signal of the U.S. and India's shared commitment to a forward-looking strategic partnership based on shared values and strategic interests," chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana W. White said.
- China Ready to Enhance Cooperation With Iranian Armed Forces - Defense Minister Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- Beijing is ready to actively develop cooperation between the armed forces of China and Iran, Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe said on Saturday at a meeting with his Iranian counterpart Amir Hatami.
- Saudi, Spain row puts warship deal at risk of cancellation Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- A multibillion-dollar deal to sell Spanish warships to Saudi Arabia is on the brink of being cancelled amid a row between the two countries over Madrid's decision to block shipment of bombs to the kingdom.
- Yemeni Rebels Fire Missile at Saudi Arabia Injuring Troops - Reports Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- A missile strike was carried out by Yemeni Houthi rebels targeting Saudi Arabia's southwestern region of Asir, resulting in troops being injured, Tasnim News Agency reported on Saturday.
- Yemen consultations have started, insists top UN negotiator UN News 08 Sep 2018 -- A positive environment exists for building trust between the opposing parties involved in discussions for a political solution to the Yemen conflict, despite the absence of one of the delegations in Geneva and insecurity on the ground, UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths said on Saturday.
- Saudi-backed delegates leave Yemen peace talks Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- A delegation from Yemen's former government has left UN-brokered talks in Geneva after representatives of the Houthi movement were prevented by Saudi Arabia from attending the negotiations.
- Yemenis slam Saudi Arabia for barring Houthi delegation from attending Geneva talks Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Thousands of Yemeni people have taken to the streets of capital Sana'a to protest against a Saudi-led military coalition for its alleged refusal to allow a delegation of the popular Houthi Ansarullah movement to fly to Geneva to attend the United Nations-sponsored peace talks in the Swiss city.
- Yemen consultations have started: UN envoy IRNA 08 Sep 2018 -- A positive environment exists for building trust between the opposing parties involved in discussions for a political solution to the Yemen conflict, despite the absence of one of the delegations in Geneva and insecurity on the ground, UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths said on Saturday.
- Saudi military base targeted by Yemeni missile IRNA 08 Sep 2018 -- The Yemeni missile unit and the popular committees targeted a Saudi military base in Asir, southwestern Saudi Arabia on Friday night.
- Scores of Saudi troopers, mercenaries slain, injured in Yemeni army offensives Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Scores of Saudi soldiers and Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi have lost their lives when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched separate offensives against their positions in the kingdom's border regions over the past 24 hours.
- Russian-Led Idlib Offensive Would Be Humanitarian Disaster, Dunford Says AFPS 08 Sep 2018 -- The consequences of a Russian-Syrian regime offensive into Idlib, Syria, against terrorists hiding there would almost certainly be a humanitarian disaster, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- Syrian govt. forces target Jabhat Fateh al-Sham terrorists in Hama Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Syrian army forces have targeted terrorists from the Jabhat Fateh al-Sham Takfiri terror group, formerly known as al-Nusra Front, in the country's west-central province of Hama as government forces and allied fighters from popular defense group are trying to purge the Arab country of foreign-backed Takfiri militants.
- Russian, Syrian Aircraft Pound Opposition-Controlled Idlib Province RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- Russian and Syrian government aircraft have carried out intense attacks on opposition-held towns in Syria's Idlib Province.
- Pentagon Source Reveals US Drills in Homs, Syria is Message to Russia – Reports Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- Earlier, American media reported that Russia had allegedly warned the US of its intentions to launch precision strikes on territory under the protection of the US-led coalition in Homs province. Moscow hasn't commented on the claims.
- Chemical Weapons Provocation in Syria to Start September 8 - Russian MoD Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- Terrorists in the rebel-held Syrian city of Idlib have almost completed their preparations for a provocation involving chemical weapons, chief spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Defense Major General Igor Konashenkov stated Saturday.
- Human traffickers in Libya are posing as UN staff, says Refugee Agency UN News 08 Sep 2018 -- The UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, has called on Libyan authorities to take action against criminals targeting desperate refugees and migrants, amid reports that smugglers and traffickers in the country are impersonating Agency staff.
- EU Calls On Russia To Halt Separatist 'Elections' In Donbas RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini has criticized a plan by Russia-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine to hold elections and has called on Moscow to use its influence to stop the vote from taking place.
- US to cut off aid to Palestinian hospitals in al-Quds Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- The United States has decided to cut off financial aid to Jerusalem al-Quds hospitals that provide cancer treatments and other critical care for Palestinians, amid warnings of the "collapse" of medical centers.
- Many feared killed as Boko Haram militants raid town in northeast Nigeria Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Many people are feared dead after militants dressed in military uniforms carried out an attack on a town in the northeast Nigerian state of Borno, residents and a vigilante say.
- Serbian President Makes Rare Visit To Kosovo, Says Finding Deal Is Difficult RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said during a trip to northern Kosovo that he will continue talks with Kosovar officials but warned it will be difficult to reach a deal that could normalize relations.
- Somali Regional States Suspend Ties With Federal Government VOA 08 Sep 2018 -- The leaders of Somalia's federal member states said Saturday that they had suspended all ties with the central government in what was likely another setback for the Horn of Africa nation as it emerges from two decades of conflict.
- UN: More Than 1M Displaced Ethiopians in Dire Need VOA 08 Sep 2018 -- The U.N. refugee agency (UNHCR) warns more than one million Ethiopians who were displaced by violence in southwestern Ethiopia, including those who have returned, are suffering from extreme deprivation and are in need of life-saving assistance.
- Trump Campaign Adviser Whose Russian Contacts Sparked Probe Jailed For 14 Days RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- George Papadopoulos, a low-level adviser to President Donald Trump's 2016 election campaign, was sentenced to 14 days in prison for lying to federal agents.
- Trump Admin. Reportedly Met With Venezuelans Plotting Coup Against Maduro Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- Several attempted attacks on the re-elected Venezuelan president have been reported lately and there could apparently have been more, had the American side assisted the country's military in their plot.
- Angered Over Pension-Reform Plan, Russians Vote In Local Elections RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- Voters in regions across Russia head to the polls on September 9 for regional and local elections being held in an atmosphere of unusual public discontent sparked by a controversial government plan to raise retirement ages.
- France joins space race with Russia spying accusations Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- France has announced measures to join a space race which escalated recently as the US unveiled plans for militarization of the Earth's outer space.
- France Accuses Russia Of Spying On Military Satellite In Space RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- A Russian satellite attempted last year to spy on a satellite providing secure communications for the French and Italian militaries, French Defense Minister Florence Parly said on September 7.
- Confusion Reigns Over Identities of Alleged Russian Hitmen VOA 08 Sep 2018 -- The two Russian hitmen who British authorities accuse of attempting to murder former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia made several European trips – including half-a-dozen to Geneva – in the months leading up to the Salisbury nerve agent attack.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Orders to Promote Military Ranks of KPA Commanding Officers KCNA 08 Sep 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea, ordered to promote the military ranks of commanding officers of the Korean People's Army on Saturday on the occasion of the 70th founding anniversary of the DPRK.
- Australia, New Zealand to help Japan enforce North Korea sanctions Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Australia and New Zealand say they will send surveillance aircraft to Japan to help the enforcement of United Nations sanctions against North Korea.
- North Korean Leader Kim Confirmed Readiness to Visit Russia - Matvienko Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un confirmed his readiness to visit Russia, Speaker of the Russian Parliament's Upper House Valentina Matvienko told reporters adding that the timing and place of the visit would be clarified through the diplomatic channels.
- US sending messages to Iran and pressuring it: Rouhani Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the US is constantly sending messages to Iran to begin negotiations and trying to pressure the Iranian people at the same time.
- China defies US with record 874,000 bpd Iran oil imports Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says the US is constantly sending messages to Iran to begin negotiations and trying to pressure the Iranian people at the same time.
- China Rejects Criticism It's Pushing Pakistan Into 'Debt Trap' VOA 08 Sep 2018 -- China is defending its billions of dollars of historic investment in Pakistan, dismissing allegations the economic development program is pushing the cash-strapped South Asia ally into a "Chinese debt trap."
- U.S. calls back ambassadors over severing of ties with Taiwan CNA 08 Sep 2018 -- The United States has called back three of its head diplomats in Central America and the Caribbean for consultations related to recent decisions by these countries to sever diplomatic relations with Taiwan, the U.S. State Department said Friday.
- US recalls envoys from Latin American countries for cutting Taiwan ties Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- The United States has recalled its envoys to three Latin American countries after their leaders decided to cut ties with Taiwan in favor of diplomatic relations with China.
- US Recalls Envoys From 3 Central American States Over Taiwan Recognition Row Sputnik 08 Sep 2018 -- The United States has called back three of its head diplomats in Central America and the Caribbean for consultations related to recent decisions by these countries to sever diplomatic relations with Taiwan, the U.S. State Department said Friday.
- Iraqi officials condemn violent Basra protests, point finger at US, Daesh, Ba'athists Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi officials have denounced recent deadly demonstrations in the southern city of Basra, saying they believe the US, Daesh terrorists and remnants of former Ba'ath regime are behind the violence.
- Rockets Strike Airport In Iraq's Basra As Tensions Remain High RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- Security officials in the Iraqi port city of Basra, which has been rocked by several days of sometimes violent protests, say three rockets were fired at the city's airport on September 8.
- Iraq PM Urged to Resign Following Emergency Parliamentary Session VOA 08 Sep 2018 -- The two largest electoral blocs in Iraq called on Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi to resign Saturday after parliament held an emergency session to discuss the unrest in Basra that has killed at least 12 people during several days of protest over poor public services, unemployment and corruption.
- Angola's former president steps down as party chief after 4-decade rule Press TV 08 Sep 2018 -- Angola's former President Jose Eduardo dos Santos has handed his position as the leader of the People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (PMLA) party to incumbent President Joao Lourenco after more than four decades of political rule.
- Merkel Urges Macedonians To Vote For Name Change, Possibility For EU, NATO Membership RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called on Macedonians to vote in favor of a name change that would open the door to the Balkan country joining the European Union and NATO.
- Putin, Armenian Prime Minister Meet In Moscow, Praise State Of Relations RFE/RL 08 Sep 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinian praised the current level of relations between the two countries as they met for talks in Moscow.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|