02 September 2018 Military News
- Miller Takes Over NATO, U.S. Commands in Afghanistan AFPS 02 Sep 2018 -- Army Gen. John M. Nicholson passed command of NATO's Resolute Support Mission and U.S. Forces Afghanistan to Army Gen. Austin S. Miller during a ceremony in Kabul, Afghanistan, today.
- Change of Command at NATO-led Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan NATO 02 Sep 2018 -- Today (2 September, 2018), General Austin Scott Miller assumed command of the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission from General John ''Mick'' Nicholson at a ceremony at mission headquarters in Kabul, Afghanistan. General Miller will oversee the continued efforts by NATO Allies and operational partners to further develop effective and sustainable Afghan security forces and institutions through the train, advise and assist mission.
- New U.S. General Takes Over Command Of NATO Forces In Afghanistan RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- U.S. Army General Scott Miller has assumed command of NATO forces in Afghanistan as Washington faces growing questions over its strategy to force the Taliban into peace talks with the Western-backed government in Kabul.
- 17th US Commander Takes Over America's Longest War VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- The 17th commander to lead the NATO and United States forces in Afghanistan in what has become America's longest war took charge in a change of command ceremony in Kabul Sunday morning.
- US Replaces Head of Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- US Gen. John Nicholson has been replaced by US Gen. Austin Scott Miller as head of the US Forces-Afghanistan and the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission in the country.
- US Forces in Afghanistan Target IS Leader VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- U.S. forces in Afghanistan say they targeted and killed the leader of Islamic State Khorasan Province last month in eastern Afghanistan.
- Military Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan, Three People Dead - Reports Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- On September 2 a military helicopter crashed at an Afghan military base in the country's northern province of Balkh, with some people feared to be dead, Khaama Press news reported.
- Moldovan Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan, Killing Ukrainian Crewmembers, Afghan Soldiers RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- A helicopter owned by a Moldovan company has crashed in northern Afghanistan, killing at least 12 people, including two Ukrainian crew members and 10 Afghan soldiers, officials say.
- Moldovan Helicopter Crashes in Afghanistan Leaving 12 People Dead - Authorities Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- A Moldovan MI-8 MTV helicopter, belonging to the Valan International Cargo Charter carrier, crashed in the Afghan northern province of Balkh, killing two crew members and 10 passengers, the Moldovan civil aviation authorities said on Sunday.
- Media Report: US Considers Shutting Down Counterterrirsm Units in Africa VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- The Pentagon is looking at pulling nearly all U.S. commandos from Niger and shutting down most elite counterterrorism units across Africa, according to a media report.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Leader office's top official visits domestically-made fighter jet IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Head of the Supreme Leader's military office paid a visit to the domestically-made fighter jet dubbed "Kowsar".
- Iran Leader hails role of Army's air defense IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that Khatam al-Anbiya air defense base affiliated to the Iranian Army is a sensitive part of the armed forces and is at the frontline of the fight against the enemies.
- Military war on Iran unlikely, Armed Forces must boost capabilities: Ayat. Khamenei Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says there is no possibility of a military war on Iran given the ongoing political considerations, but the country's Armed Forces must continue to upgrade their human and military hardware capabilities.
- Iranian Army Should Boost Capacities, But War 'Unlikely' - Supreme Leader Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Earlier, Deputy Commander of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) for Political Affairs, brigadier general Rasoul Sanayee Raad noted that there would be "no ultimate victory" in case the US starts a war against Iran.
- Iran, Iraq to broaden defense cooperation IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Deputy chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran Brigadier General Qadir Nezamipour conferred on Sunday with Iraqi Defense Minister Irfan Mahmoud Al-Hayali on expansion of defense cooperation between the two neighbors.
- Iraq: Reuters report of Iran moving missiles to Baghdad 'without evidence' Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Iraq's Foreign Ministry says it was "astonished" at a Reuters report, which claimed that Iran had moved missiles to Iraq, saying the claim lacked any "tangible evidence."
- Iran Rejects Reports It Has Transfered Missiles To Militias In Iraq RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- Iran has rejected a report by Reuters that it has provided ballistic missiles to its Shi'ite militia allies in Iraq and is developing the capacity to allow them to build missiles there.
- Iran, Russia, Iraq, Syria hold security meeting in Iraq IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Iran, Russia, Iraq, and Syria security committee meeting was held at Baghdad on Saturday to facilitate intelligence coordination among these countries.
- Iran, Russia, Iraq, Syria hold quartet meeting in Baghdad ISNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Iraqi sources announced that senior military commanders from Iraq, Russia, Iran and Syria have met in Baghdad and exchanged views on security and intelligence cooperation.
- Iraq, Russia, Iran, Syria military chiefs discuss security, intel cooperation Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Senior military commanders from Iraq, Russia, Iran and Syria have met in Baghdad and exchanged views on security and intelligence cooperation.
- India Successfully Tests Russia-Designed Tank Shells Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- The first shipment of Russian 125-millimeter Mango tank shells produced in India under license agreement successfully passed check tests, and the producer began to supply them to the Indian army, the press service of shells' developer, Russia's Techmash, told Sputnik.
- Pentagon cuts military aid to Pakistan over failure to act against militants Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- The US military has declared it is canceling $300 million in aid to Pakistan over what it calls Islamabad's failure to take decisive measures against militant forces, marking a further deterioration in ties.
- Pentagon Cancels $300 Million Military Aid To Pakistan Ahead Of Pompeo Visit RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- The U.S. military says it has decided to cancel $300 million in aid to Pakistan that had been suspended due to Islamabad's perceived lack of action against militants, raising tensions ahead of a visit by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the top U.S. general.
- US Cuts $300 Million in Aid to Pakistan Over Failure to Tackle Terrorists Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Combined with earlier cuts, the total amount of aid cut off to Pakistan has reached $800 million.
- Rights Group Calls for End of Arms Sales to Saudi Arabia VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- Human Rights Watch is calling for an immediate end to all arms sales to Saudi Arabia in the aftermath of the bombing of a schoolbus last month that killed 51 people, including 40 children.
- Turkey Will Not Ask for Permission on S-400 Deal With Russia - Erdogan Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Turkey is eyeing a long-range missile defense system of its own as part of its current effort to enhance the country's defensive strategic military capabilities.
- Saudi-led Coalition's Announcement on Reviewing Rules of Engagement in Yemen US Dept. of State 02 Sep 2018 -- "The United States regards the Saudi-led Coalition's ?announcement that it will review their rules of engagement, hold those at fault accountable, and compensate victims following the Joint Incident Assessment Team's finding that last month's Sa'ada air strikes lacked justification as an important first step toward full transparency and accountability.? "
- Yemeni forces fire missile at Saudi military forces in Jizan border region Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have launched a domestically-designed and –manufactured ballistic missile at a military base in Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Jizan in retaliation for the Riyadh regime's devastating military aggression against their country.
- Yemen ex-govt., Houthis will not have face-to-face peace talks in Geneva: officials Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Yemen's warring parties, including the Houthi Ansarullah movement and the so-called government of former President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, will not meet "face-to-face" at the upcoming peace negotiations brokered by the United Nations in the Swiss city of Geneva, Hadi's officials say.
- Saudis admit 'mistakes' in Yemen bus carnage, then defend it Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Saudi Arabia has finally admitted "mistakes" in a recent airstrike which killed children on a school bus in Yemen, but still insisted that the vehicle was carrying Houthi fighters.
- Syria FM refutes US allegations about chemical weapons IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Syrian Foreign and Expatriates Minister Walid al-Moallem, affirmed the allegations made by the US and its allies on the use of chemical weapons have become exposed to the world public opinion and its aim is to justify any potential aggression on Syria.
- Army destroys terrorists rocket launching pads in Hama IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Units of the Syrian Arab Army on Sunday conducted intensive strikes against gatherings for Jabhat al-Nusra terrorist organization and its affiliated groups in the northern countryside of Hama.
- Military official dismisses attack on airport in Damascus IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- The accident in Mezzeh airbase was an explosion that happened in the ammunition depot, a senior Iranian military official told the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) on Sunday.
- Syria denies foreign attack on airbase west of Damascus People's Daily 02 Sep 2018 -- The Syrian army denied reports that an Israeli missile attack targeted a Syrian airbase west of Damascus early Sunday, saying a short circuit caused an explosion in an arms depot near the airbase, according to the state TV.
- Syria Confirms Blasts at Ammunition Depot Near Damascus Caused by Short Circuit Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Over the past several years, Syria has repeatedly accused Israel of attacks on the Mezzeh military airport. According to Tel Aviv, Israel strikes the Iran-supplied Hezbollah arms depot at the Mezzeh facility to prevent the Lebanese movement from obtaining advanced weapons for terrorist aims.
- Tens Of Thousands Attend Funeral For Slain Ukraine Separatist Leader Zakharchenko RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- Tens of thousands of people gathered on September 2 in the separatist stronghold of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine to mourn a top rebel leader who was recently killed in a bomb attack.
- 30 soldiers killed in militant ambush in Nigeria Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Suspected militants have ambushed a military base in northeastern Nigeria, and killed as many as 30 soldiers.
- Serbia, Macedonia Leaders Hail 'One-Stop Shop' Border Project RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- Serbia's president and Macedonia's prime minister have expressed satisfaction with the implementation of a joint border project aimed at facilitating the transit of people and goods between the two countries.
- UN Palestinian Overseer Promises Continued Aid VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- The chief of the United Nations agency that helps Palestinian refugees is promising continued aid for Palestinians, even as the United States says it is ending its financial contribution to the agency.
- UN chief urges calm as violence erupts in Libyan capital UN News 02 Sep 2018 -- Condemning the escalation of violence in and around the Libyan capital, Tripoli, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has called on all parties to immediately cease hostilities and grant humanitarian relief to those in need.
- FBI tried to flip Russian oligarch into informant: Report Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- The FBI and Justice Department sought to turn Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska, who had close ties to the Kremlin, into an informant between 2014 and 2016, a report says.
- US military can intervene in Venezuela: Senator Rubio Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- The US military can take necessary actions to remove Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro from power as his government has become a threat to US national security, says Republican Senator Marco Rubio.
- Berlin's Bundestag Approves 'Well-Equipped' German Cybersecurity Agency Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Chancellor Angela Merkel's cabinet has proposed a new cybersecurity branch of the German government, to be overseen by both the the Interior and the Defense ministries, according to Defenseone.com.
- Russians Protest 'Cannibalistic' Pension Reform, Despite Putin's Concessions RFE/RL 02 Sep 2018 -- Thousands of people across Russia have protested against a deeply unpopular pension reform, despite concessions offered recently by President Vladimir Putin.
- Russia-Eritrea Relations Grow with Planned Logistics Center VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- Russia and Eritrea expanded their diplomatic relationship Friday when Moscow announced plans to build a logistics center at a port in the East African country.
- Iran warns Europe against lack of JCPOA commitments IRNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Imposition of sanctions against Iran, putting the country under pressure and Europe's failure to implement its commitment pertaining to the Iran nuclear deal will lead to serious consequences, the head of Iran's Foreign Policy Strategic Council said.
- Iran FM spokesman explains details of Zarif-Le Drian phone call ISNA 02 Sep 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi stressed that phone call between Iranian and French Foreign Ministers has been held in the framework of frequent contacts between the authorities of Iran and European countries including France.
- China, Ghana to further enrich relations People's Daily 02 Sep 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday held talks with Ghana's President Nana Akufo-Addo, and the two leaders agreed to inject new vitality into and further enrich the bilateral relations.
- China, Egypt to advance comprehensive strategic partnership People's Daily 02 Sep 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Saturday held talks with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi ahead of the 2018 Beijing Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC).
- Report: Experts Suspect Microwave Weapons Injured US Diplomats in Cuba VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- Experts are growing more and more suspicious that microwave weapons were responsible for inflicting brain damage on nearly 40 U.S. diplomats and their families in Cuba and possibly China, the New York Times reports.
- Pompeo talks to Abadi, Allawi amid public anger over US meddling in Iraq's affairs Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has spoken to Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi and Vice President Ayad Allawi amid public frustration with Washington's interference in Baghdad's affairs.
- US-Pakistan Tensions Flare Before Pompeo Trip VOA 02 Sep 2018 -- Pakistan has dismissed as "incorrect" reports the United States has canceled $300 million in military aid to the country, saying Washington owed the money to Islamabad for expenses incurred on fighting terrorism.
- Turkey will pursue non-dollar transactions in trade: Erdogan Press TV 02 Sep 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has lashed out at the United States for behaving like "wild wolves," saying Ankara would pursue non-dollar transactions in trade with Russia and other countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|