25 August 2018 Military News
- Afghanistan's defense, interior ministers quit along with two other security officials Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Afghanistan's ministers of defense and interior and another high ranking security chief have quit following the resignation of President Ashraf Ghani's national security adviser.
- Three killed in bomb blast near election office in eastern Afghanistan Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- At least three people have been killed in a bomb blast in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar.
- Afghan President's National-Security Adviser Resigns RFE/RL 25 Aug 2018 -- The national-security adviser to Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has resigned from his position, an Afghan official said on August 25.
- Top Afghan Security Adviser Abruptly Quits VOA 25 Aug 2018 -- Afghanistan's national security adviser abruptly resigned Saturday amid rising violence across the country and high numbers of battlefield casualties the Taliban insurgency is inflicting on government forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Revives Navy Fleet To Counter Russian Presence In North Atlantic RFE/RL 25 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Navy has formally reestablished its Second Fleet as a result of a renewed focus on the North Atlantic Ocean, where the Russian military has been operating with increasing frequency in a way not seen since the Cold War.
- Iran's New Warplane Seen Limited as Weapon, Useful for Training VOA 25 Aug 2018 -- Iran's unveiling this week of a domestically made fighter jet resembling an obsolete U.S. warplane has drawn Western derision about its efficacy as a weapon, but also appreciation of its training potential.
- Yemeni forces fire missiles at Saudi military bases in Jizan border region Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have launched two ballistic missiles, designed and manufactured domestically, at military bases in Saudi Arabia's southwestern border region of Jizan in relation for the Riyadh regime's devastating military aggression against their country.
- UN calls for 'impartial, prompt' probe into attacks targeting Yemeni civilians Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- United Nations officials have condemned two recent Saudi-led coalition airstrikes in Yemen that killed at least 26 children, renewing calls for "an impartial, independent and prompt investigation" into attacks targeting civilians in the crisis-hit Arab country.
- 'Children Are Being Brutalized': Saudi-Led Airstrikes Kill More Minors in Yemen Sputnik 25 Aug 2018 -- Mark Lowcock, the undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator for the United Nations, condemned recent Saudi-led airstrikes on Friday that have killed dozens of Yemeni civilians, many of whom were children.
- Two frigates join Russian fleet opposite Syrian coast IRNA 25 Aug 2018 -- The Russian Black Sea Fleet announced that the frigates Admiral Grigorovich and Admiral Essen are joining the Russian ships stationed opposite the Syrian coast in the Mediterranean.
- US threatens military action against Damascus IRNA 25 Aug 2018 -- The US national security advisor in a meeting with his Russian counterpart in Geneva, once again threatened military action against Syria, according to Western media.
- Daesh terrorists holding 27 hostage in Syria's Sweida, says HRW Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group are holding 27 people captive in Syria's southwestern province of Sweida, condemning the hostage-taking as a "war crime."
- Russia warns US against 'reckless steps' in Syria amid reports of false flag plan Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Moscow has warned Washington against making any "reckless" moves in Syria after the Russian Defense Ministry said the US, Britain and France are preparing to conduct a fresh aerial assault against Syria under the pretext of the alleged use of chemical weapons by the Damascus government.
- Report: U.S. Warns Russia It Will Take Strong Action Over Any Syrian Chemical Attack RFE/RL 25 Aug 2018 -- The United States has told Russia it is ready to take strong military action against Syria if President Bashar al-Assad uses chemical weapons to try to recapture one of his country's last rebel-held provinces, Bloomberg News is reporting.
- US, UK and France Prepare New Strike Against Syria - Russian MoD Sputnik 25 Aug 2018 -- According to the Russian Defense Ministry, militants are arriving in Syria's Idlib after being trained by a private British military company called Olive.
- Egyptian police kill 4 suspected terrorists in northern Sinai: Report Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Egyptian police forces have killed four suspected terrorists who had tried to carry out an attack on a police checkpoint in the north of the Sinai Peninsula, a report says.
- US cuts $200mn in aid to Palestinians, sparking criticisms Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- The United States has canceled over $200 million in funds for the Palestinian Authority, leading Palestinian officials to denounce the move as "blackmail."
- UN condemns attack that leaves one 'blue helmet' dead in Central African Republic UN News 25 Aug 2018 -- Secretary-General António Guterres has condemned the attack on 23 August by presumed anti-Balaka elements on the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) in which one peacekeeper from Burundi was killed.
- Ethiopia's Somali Region Hopes New Leader Will Bring Peace VOA 25 Aug 2018 -- Earlier this month, Mustafa Omer lived in exile. Now, he's the acting president of Ethiopia's Somali region and one of the country's most powerful people.
- Statement by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph F. Dunford, Jr. on the Passing of Senator John McCain DoD 25 Aug 2018
- Statement by Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis on the Passing of Senator John McCain DoD 25 Aug 2018
- U.S. Navy Statements on Passing of Sen. John McCain NNS 25 Aug 2018 -- Secretary of the Navy Richard V. Spencer, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson and the commanding officer of USS John S. McCain (DDG 56), Cmdr. Micah Murphy, released statements Aug. 25 on the death of Senator and Navy veteran John S. McCain III who died Aug. 25 at age 81.
- Trump cancels Pompeo trip to DPRK, citing lack of 'sufficient progress' on denuclearization People's Daily 25 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump on Friday tweeted that he has asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to cancel his upcoming trip to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), publicly acknowledging for the first time that progress on the Peninsula denuclearization is lacking.
- Trump calls off Pompeo's planned visit to North Korea Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has cancelled a planned trip by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to North Korea, citing unsatisfactory progress on the denuclearization of Pyongyang.
- China hits back at Trump for 'irresponsible' comments about Korean Peninsula Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- China says the recent "irresponsible" comments made by President Donald Trump of the United States about Beijing's commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula contradict "basic facts."
- US Claims About China Impacting Talks With N Korea 'Irresponsible' - Beijing Sputnik 25 Aug 2018 -- The United States' claims that China has been impacting Washington's talks with Pyongyang on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula are irresponsible and contradict the facts, Chinese Foreign Affairs Ministry spokesman, Lu Kang, said in a statement on Saturday.
- Iran still waiting for Europe's guarantees on oil sales, banking: FM Zarif Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the Islamic Republic is still waiting for Europe's guarantees on the sale of Iranian oil and banking relations.
- J.P. Morgan, Citibank won't commit to cutting Iran access to markets, report says Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- J.P. Morgan and Citibank, two top American financial institutions, will not commit to cutting Iranian access to international markets, which will add fuel to concerns among US officials about efforts by European states and Tehran's regional allies to mitigate the impact of new US sanctions ahead of a November 4 implementation deadline, a report says.
- Iran, Russia resume talks to build new nuclear power plant Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Energy Minister Reza Ardakanian says the country has restarted negotiations with Russia to build a new nuclear power plant capable of generating up to 3,000 megawatts of electricity.
- Rouhani has 'no doubt about final victory over enemy' Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani says he has no doubt that the Iranian nation will emerge victorious from US sanctions against the Islamic Republic.
- Top US envoy on Iran slams EU aid for Tehran Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- The US special representative for Iran has criticized a decision by the European Union to give $20.7 million in aid to Tehran.
- U.S. Criticizes EU For Sending Aid To Iran, Says Money Will Be Misused RFE/RL 25 Aug 2018 -- The top U.S. envoy on Iran has criticized a European Union decision to give 18 million euros in aid to Tehran, saying it sends "the wrong message at the wrong time."
- Xi calls for strengthening Party leadership over law-based governance People's Daily 25 Aug 2018 -- President Xi Jinping on Friday called for strengthening the centralized and unified leadership of the Communist Party of China (CPC) over advancing law-based governance in all areas.
- China-Africa relations set model for South-South cooperation People's Daily 25 Aug 2018 -- China-Africa relations have set a model for the solidarity and cooperation between China and developing countries, as well as the best example for South-South cooperation, diplomats, experts and scholars told People's Daily ahead of the upcoming 2018 Beijing Summit of the Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC).
- China launches new twin BeiDou-3 navigation satellites People's Daily 25 Aug 2018 -- China sent twin BeiDou-3 navigation satellites into space on a Long March-3B carrier rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province at 7:52 a.m. BJT Saturday.
- Russia Restores Defunct Soviet Network to Monitor Near-Earth Objects Sputnik 25 Aug 2018 -- Russia has restored a global network of mothballed Soviet observatories to monitor near-Earth objects, according to a report by a state research institute.
- Erdogan urges all Turks to demonstrate commitment to combat attack on economy Press TV 25 Aug 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on his nation to demonstrate "commitment and determination" as firm guarantees needed to combat "attacks" on Turkey's economy amid the country's deepening financial crisis triggered by an array of sanctions imposed by the United States over the detention of an American pastor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|