22 August 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 22 Aug 2018 [PDF]
- Canadian Armed Forces General to be appointed Commander of the new NATO Mission in Iraq Canada DND 22 Aug 2018 -- Canada has always answered the call to serve and contribute to international peace and security. As a founding member of NATO, Canada has demonstrated dedicated and active leadership in the organization and will continue to do so for years to come under our new defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged.
- Commander-designate of NATO Mission Iraq announced NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Canada's Department of National Defence announced on Wednesday (22 August 2018) that Major-General Dany Fortin has been selected to lead the new NATO Mission Iraq. Launched at the Brussels Summit in July, the mission builds on NATO's efforts to train the Iraqi forces as they work to prevent the re-emergence of ISIS and other terrorist groups. Led by Canada, NATO's non-combat mission will include hundreds of trainers, and will also involve setting up military schools to increase the professionalism of the Iraqi forces.
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by General Nicholson via teleconference from Kabul, Afghanistan DoD 22 Aug 2018 -- Presenter: General John W. Nicholson Jr., Commander, Resolute Support and U.S. Forces-Afghanistan; Colonel Rob Manning, Director, Defense Press Office
- Afghanistan Peace Process Shows Promise, Resolute Support Commander Says AFPS 22 Aug 2018 -- The peace process in Afghanistan has shown progress since the first cease-fire in 17 years took place in June, the commander of NATO's Resolute Support mission and U.S. forces in Afghanistan told Pentagon reporters today.
- Russia invites Iran to attend Afghanistan conference IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- Russian Foreign Ministry invited 11 countries including the Islamic Republic of Iran to participate in Afghanistan conference.
- U.S., Afghanistan Reject Multinational Peace Talks In Moscow RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- The United States and Afghanistan both say they will not attend Russia-hosted peace talks scheduled for next month, with Kabul asserting it prefers instead to hold direct talks with the Taliban.
- Russia Criticizes Reported U.S. Refusal To Join Moscow Talks On Afghanistan RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry has criticized Washington's reported refusal to send delegates to Moscow-hosted peace talks on Afghanistan after Interfax quoted a U.S. State Department spokesperson as saying the United States would not take part in the September 4 meeting.
- Kabul Rejects Moscow-Hosted Afghan Peace Talks; Taliban to Attend VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The U.S.-backed Afghan government announced Wednesday it does not plan to attend next month's multi-nation conference in Russia on the future of Afghanistan, while the Taliban insurgency confirmed to VOA it has accepted the invitation and will send a delegation to event.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Washington's 10th CST builds partners during Konfitma 18 Army News 22 Aug 2018 -- The Washington National Guard's 10th Civil Support Team participated in an exercise that included an active shooter, biological weapons manufacturing and hostages on the island of Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands. Approximately 100 personnel from various government agencies of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI) responded to the scenarios during the period of Aug. 14-17.
- Guard conducts first aerial gunnery in Republic of Macedonia Army News 22 Aug 2018 -- More than 20 Soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, (3-126 AVN) of the Massachusetts Army National Guard, stationed on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, conducted aerial gunnery qualification tables under the command of U.S. Army Europe at the Krivolak Training Area in the Republic of Macedonia, Aug. 1-2.
- Naval Oceanography Partnering with NUWC in ANTX 18 NNS 22 Aug 2018 -- The Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (NMOC) is continuing to advance its unmanned underwater systems operational expertise during the annual Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Advanced Naval Technical Exercise (ANTX) this month.
- Advanced training prepares boom operators for future AFNS 22 Aug 2018 -- Within the past year, KC-10 Extender boom operators have been receiving cutting-edge, three-dimensional simulator training and life-size cargo load training that benefits the boom operator career field around the world. The training is especially welcome because KC-10s, aircrews and maintainers are regularly deployed since the beginning of operation Desert Shield.
- U.S. 2nd Fleet Releases New Crest and Motto NNS 22 Aug 2018 -- Commander, U.S. 2nd Fleet (C2F) revealed a new crest and motto, designed to represent the fleet's new mission, Aug. 22, prior to the establishment ceremony on Aug. 24 in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Pentagon, White House at Odds Over Trashed Plans for Military Parade Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- Days after US President Donald Trump took to Twitter last week and announced that the military parade in Washington, DC, was canceled, new reports are painting a conflicting story regarding how things actually panned out.
- USFK Commander Calls Joint Korea Military Exercises a Political Tool VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The commander of United States Forces Korea (USFK) minimized the impact of suspended U.S.-South Korea military exercises on troop readiness on Wednesday, and said the joint drills in recent years were used to pressure North Korea to engage in diplomatic talks.
- NATO and Japan conduct joint exercise in the Baltic Sea NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Naval forces from Standing NATO Maritime Group One conducted a passing exercise with a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force squadron in the Baltic Sea on Tuesday (21 August 2018). NATO ships sailed alongside cadet training vessel JS Kashima and destroyer JS Makinami for the drills. Japan is NATO's longest-standing partner from outside Europe, and we work together on a range of issues, from security in Afghanistan to nuclear non-proliferation, maritime and cyber security.
- NATO Maritime Group Sails with Japanese Training Squadron NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Yesterday, Standing NATO Maritime Group One (SNMG1) participated in a Passing Exercise (PASSEX) with a Japan Maritime Self Defense Force training squadron that is currently sailing in the Baltic Sea. SNMG1 spent the day with JMSDF cadet training vessel JS Kashima and the destroyer JS Makinami.
- Allies to receive first shipment of Precision Guided Munitions acquired through NATO NATO 22 Aug 2018 -- Today (22 August 2018), the NATO Support and Procurement Agency (NSPA) received the first lot of Precision Guided Munitions (PGMs), acquired through a NATO project involving 11 Allies and one NATO partner. The PGMs, produced in the United States, will be delivered to their final recipients, Belgium and Denmark, in the coming weeks. The value of this initial acquisition is around 20 million US dollars.
- NATO Aircraft to Continue Mission in Estonia After Accidental Missile Launch Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- The Estonian Defense Ministry said on Wednesday that starting from August 27 the airspace of the country will be reopened for training flights of NATO countries' aircraft despite an incident with a missile mistakenly launched by a Spanish fighter jet earlier in August.
- Kremlin Dismisses U.S. Report About Missing Nuclear-Powered Missile RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov has dismissed a report by a U.S. television network that Russia lost a nuclear-powered missile in the Barents Sea during 2017 and is launching an operation to get it back.
- Russia Signs Military Cooperation Deal With Central African Republic RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia signed a military cooperation agreement with the Central African Republic (C.A.R.) on August 21, less than a month after three prominent Russian journalists were killed in the war-ridden country while investigating Russian mercenaries.
- British Jets Scramble From Romania To Investigate Russian Fighter Jets RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Two British Typhoon jets based in Romania have scrambled to investigate suspected Russian fighter aircraft operating near NATO airspace over the Black Sea.
- UK jets scrambled to investigate Russia planes flying over Black Sea Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Britain's Royal Air Force (RAF) scrambled two Typhoon jets from a base in Romania to shadow Russian fighter jets allegedly flying near NATO air space in the skies over the Black Sea.
- British Royal Navy vessel monitors Russian warship in English Channel Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- A British Royal Navy vessel, HMS Hurworth, is monitoring a Russian warship as it is passing through the English Channel in an exercise that usually lasts about 48 hours, the Navy says.
- China paper: Sanctions not preventing Iran defense buildup IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- According to the Chinese Newspaper 'South China Morning Post', US sanctions have not prevented Iran of reinforcing military and defense power.
- IRGC says boosting defense power key part of Armed Forces' strategy Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) says the development of the country's defense and deterrence capabilities is an indispensable strategy of the Iranian Armed Forces.
- Iran Poised To Boost Defense Capabilities Amid Worsening Relations With US Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- The announcement comes amid growing tensions between Tehran and Washington, following the re-imposition of economic sanctions against the Middle Eastern nation by the US.
- Iran Vows To Boost Military, Parades New Jet To Deter U.S. 'Attack' RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- President Hassan Rohani has vowed to boost Iran's military while parading a new domestically built fighter jet in response to what he says is growing U.S. aggression toward Tehran.
- Moscow military cooperation with Tehran will improve IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- Russian Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Fomin said on Tuesday that his country will promote military and technical cooperation with Iran to meet their international commitments.
- Rouhani says Iran's fighter jet no threat to region, helps sustainable peace People's Daily 22 Aug 2018 -- Iran's first indigenous fighter jet, unveiled on Tuesday, is by no means a threat to the region but for sustainable peace, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 22 Aug 2018
- 22 August 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Aug 2018
- Saudi warplanes hit Yemen's Hajjah, Sa'ada Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- On another day of the deadly campaign led by the regime in Riyadh against Yemen, Saudi warplanes have conducted airstrikes on the provinces of Hajjah and Sa'ada.
- Saudi garrison targeted by Yemen ballistic missile IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni Army's missile unit targeted a Saudi garrison in Jizan in south of Saudi Arabia with a ballistic missile on Tuesday.
- Yemen Army fires ballistic missile at UAE forces' headquarters IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni Army's missile unit targeted UAE forces' headquarters in the west coast.
- IS Issues New Message From Group's Reclusive Leader VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The secretive leader of the Islamic State terror group is speaking out after nearly a year of silence, urging his supporters to persevere while warning of "dark days" for his enemies.
- Russia's Strikes in Syria Have Killed Over 86,000 Terrorists - MoD Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia's strikes on terrorists in Syria have killed more than 86,000 militants and 830 gang leaders, the Russian Defense Ministry said Wednesday, also publishing detailed information about the operations in Syria.
- Russia says its strikes have killed 86,000 militants in Syria Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia's Defense Ministry says its air force has killed more than 86,000 militants in Syria since Moscow began its operations in the war-torn country in September 2015.
- Russia slams Bolton's Syria claim: We're not stuck Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia has blasted claims by US National Security Adviser John Bolton that it's "stuck" in Syria, warning American officials against making such remarks while their own troops are also on the ground in the conflict-ridden Arab country.
- Bolton: Russia stuck in Syria, US can now push for Iran exit Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- During a visit to the Israeli-occupied territories, US National Security Adviser John Bolton has claimed that Russia is currently "stuck" in Syria, and that Washington could use this situation as leverage to push for an end to Iran's mission there in future contacts with Moscow.
- Bolton Claims Russia 'Stuck' in Syria, Says US Has Leverage in Negotiations Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- US National Security Advisor John Bolton claimed that Washington has an opportunity in terms of negotiations as Russia is "stuck" in Syria.
- Syrian army continues operations against Daesh in Sweida IRNA 22 Aug 2018 -- Syrian army units continued to advance in all the lines in al-Safaa Hills areas in the eastern Sweida Province amidst fierce clashes with Daesh terrorists on the lines of Tal Ghanem, Um Marzakh, Qbr al-Sheikh Hussein and near the water pools.
- Western Powers Warn Syria Not To Use Chemical Weapons Again RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- The United States, France, and Britain are warning Syrian President Bashar al-Assad not to use chemical weapons as he launches a campaign to retake the last remaining rebel-held province in Syria.
- Most wanted PKK terrorist killed in northern Turkey Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Turkish security forces have killed a high-ranking member of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group during a counter-terrorism operation, supported by fighter jets, in the country's northern province of Gumushane.
- Crimean Tatar Leader Says Turkey's Erdogan Promised 'To Talk To Putin' Regarding Ukrainians Jailed In Russia RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Ukrainian lawmaker Mustafa Dzhemilev, a veteran leader of the Crimean Tatars, says Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has promised "to talk" to Russian President Vladimir Putin regarding the situation for Ukrainian nationals jailed in Russia.
- Rebel Faction Rejoins South Sudan Army VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- A group of rebel soldiers is rejoining the South Sudanese army in the wake of last month's peace deal between rebel factions and the government.
- Fierce clashes erupt in Indian-controlled Kashmir after Eid prayers Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- A series of violent clashes have erupted between protesters and security forces during Eid al-Adha, or the Feast of Sacrifice, celebrations in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Israel approves over 1,000 settler units in West Bank Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- The Israeli regime has approved plans for the construction of more than 1,000 new settler units in the occupied West Bank in grave contravention of international law and a United Nations Security Council resolution against the Tel Aviv regime's land grab policies in the occupied Palestinian territories.
- Humanitarian aid in Middle East should not be held hostage to politics – UN political chief UN News 22 Aug 2018 -- Recurring cycles of violence in the Middle East highlight the need for international efforts to prevent hostilities, provide humanitarian aid and support Palestinian reconciliation, the UN's political chief told the Security Council on Wednesday.
- Trump tries to distance himself from Manafort Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has sought to distance himself from his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort who was found guilty in federal criminal investigations, saying the case "does not involve me."
- Cohen pleads guilty, Manafort convicted of 8 counts Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- US President Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen has pleaded guilty to several counts of felony, delivering a potentially significant legal blow to the businessman-turned-politician.
- Manafort Is Convicted -- Now He Must Prepare For An Even Bigger Trial RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- For 12 days Paul Manafort, U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, sat at a table on the sixth-floor federal courtroom flanked by his defense lawyers and listened as prosecutors put his finances and many aspects of his private life on full display for a 12-member jury and the larger public.
- Trump Lashes Out After Longtime Lawyer Pleads Guilty And Implicates President RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump lashed out at his longtime personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, a day after Cohen pleaded guilty to election finance violations and implicated Trump as well.
- Trump Downplays Ex-Campaign Manager, Personal Lawyer Becoming Felons VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he, not his campaign, paid hush money through his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, in 2016 – just days prior to his election, but he asserts he did not know it at the time.
- Trump's former campaign chief Manafort convicted on 8 counts People's Daily 22 Aug 2018 -- Paul Manafort, former campaign chairman of U.S. President Donald Trump, was on Tuesday found guilty on eight out of 18 criminal charges of bank and tax fraud by a jury at the federal court in northern Virginia, according to multiple news reports.
- U.S. Jury Finds Manafort Guilty Of Bank Fraud, Other Charges RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- A U.S. federal jury has found Paul Manafort, the former campaign chairman for President Donald Trump, guilty on eight of 18 counts in his trial on tax-evasion and bank-fraud charges.
- Facebook kills 650+ accounts 'linked to Iran, Russia' Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- American social media giant Facebook has targeted hundreds of accounts allegedly tied to Iran and Russia under the pretext of fighting what it calls "misinformation" campaigns.
- Facebook Deletes Political Misinformation Sites Linked To Iran, Russia RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Facebook says it has removed 652 accounts and web pages linked to Russia and Iran for spreading political misinformation ahead of the November U.S. congressional elections.
- Democrats Thwart Hacking Attempt on DNC Voter Database VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Democratic National Committee has notified the FBI that it had thwarted a hacking attempt on its voter database.
- Russia will respond to groundless US sanctions: Ryabkov Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Russia has said that the latest round of US sanctions imposed against Moscow is "groundless" and will evoke a response.
- Putin Says Trump Meeting 'Useful,' Deplores 'Senseless' U.S. Sanctions RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that his summit with his U.S. counterpart last month was "useful," adding that the sides were not hoping to remove all differences in the two-hour talks.
- Russia Braces for Impact from US Sanctions VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- New U.S. sanctions on Russia expected to be announced Wednesday, imposed under a chemical and biological warfare law following the poisoning of a former Russian agent and his daughter in Britain earlier this year, have taken effect – the latest chapter in what some are describing as a protracted war of attrition.
- Aide Of Ukrainian Prime Minister Goes On Trial As Alleged Russian Spy RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- An aide to Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Hroysman who is charged with spying for Russia went on trial on August 22.
- US Judge Denies Bond to Iranian Man Accused of Spying for Tehran VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- A U.S. judge has denied bond to an Iranian-born U.S. resident accused of involvement in a conspiracy to spy for Tehran on Iranian opposition activists and Israeli and Jewish groups in the United States.
- Separated Families and Relatives from North and South Meet KCNA 22 Aug 2018 -- There takes place a reunion of separated families and relatives from the north and the south at Mt Kumgang Resort as part of the practical measures being taken to implement the Panmunjom declaration.
- U.S. Treasury sanctions individuals, entities over Russia, DPRK-related accusations People's Daily 22 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Department of the Treasury on Tuesday announced sanctions on several individuals and entities over their involvement in actions against the U.S. sanction measures on Russia and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Bolton: US Wants Stronger Iran Sanctions Than Pre-Nuclear Deal VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's national security adviser says the reimposition of economic sanctions against Iran has had a "profound effect," and the administration wants to go further than the measures in place before the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.
- Canadian Sentenced to 3+ Years in Prison for Conspiracy to Export Restricted Goods and Technology to Iran US Dept. of Justice 22 Aug 2018 -- Ghobad Ghasempour, 38, a Canadian national, was sentenced on Aug. 20, in U.S. District Court in Seattle to 42 months in prison for conspiracy to unlawfully export U.S. goods to Iran.
- UN special rapporteur says unilateral US sanctions against Iran 'illegitimate' Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- A United Nations expert has railed against the US for re-imposition of sanctions on Iran, saying the "unjust" move lacks a lawful purpose.
- US replaced with UK in redesigning Arak heavy water reactor: Iran's nuclear chief Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the US has been replaced with the UK in a working group tasked with redesigning the Arak heavy water reactor in central Iran.
- Iraq seeks US waiver as leader decries 'cruel' Iran sanctions Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- Iraqi officials plan to ask Washington for waivers on Iran sanctions which could hit crucial supplies, with one political leader pledging that Baghdad will never accept the "cruel" measures.
- Bolton: EU has to choose between Iran and US Press TV 22 Aug 2018 -- President Donald Trump's hawkish national security adviser says the Europeans have to make a choice between the US and Iran in observing American sanctions which he claims have been more effective than expected.
- Bolton Says U.S. Seeks 'Behavior' Change From Iran, Not Regime Change RFE/RL 22 Aug 2018 -- White House national-security adviser John Bolton says the United States is not seeking to topple Iran's government, but says Washington does want authorities in Tehran to change their behavior.
- Effects of US Sanctions on Iran 'Stronger Than Anticipated' - John Bolton Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- Just as the US is ramping up economic pressure on Iran, the European Union is looking for ways to establish new financial channels to continue doing business with Tehran.
- China won't cease bullying Taiwan: president CNA 22 Aug 2018 -- China will not stop its bullying of Taiwan as year-end local elections approach, but the ruling party will spare no efforts to safeguard the sovereignty of the Republic of China (Taiwan), President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said Wednesday.
- U.S. response to El Salvador switch shows Taiwan-U.S. cooperation CNA 22 Aug 2018 -- A U.S. expression of disappointment over El Salvador's decision to switch diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing shows close cooperation between Taiwan and the U.S., experts said Wednesday.
- U.S. lawmakers reaffirm support for Taiwan CNA 22 Aug 2018 -- A number of U.S. senators and congressmen expressed their support for Taiwan following the termination of diplomatic ties between the nation and El Salvador Tuesday, as El Salvador decided to switch ties to China, allegedly for financial aid.
- U.S. 'disappointed' in El Salvador's cutting of ties with Taiwan CNA 22 Aug 2018 -- The U.S. Department of State was disappointed by El Salvador's decision to switch diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing and will review the United States' relationship with the Central American country, a spokesperson said Tuesday.
- Kingdom Of Eswatini Will Not Switch Allegiance From Taiwan To China - Minister Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- Taiwan, which China continues to call a wayward province, now has ties with only 17 countries, almost all of them in Central America and the Pacific.
- Taiwan Leader's US Visit Gives Boost at Home, Enrages China VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- The Taiwanese president's unusually high-profile trip to the United States this month boosted her image at home but enraged Beijing, sparking China's boycott of a Taiwanese-owned coffee shop chain and possibly the latest loss of a diplomatic ally.
- Ukrainian Anti-Corruption Activists Hail Manafort's Conviction as 'Victory of Sorts' VOA 22 Aug 2018 -- Anti-corruption activists in Ukraine welcomed the conviction of Paul Manafort on charges of tax evasion and bank fraud, saying they hope his trial will give fresh impetus to Ukrainian probes into politicians and oligarchs in Kyiv who paid millions of dollars to U.S. President Donald Trump's former campaign manager.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|