13 August 2018 Military News
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Iraq, Syria AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners continue to pursue the lasting defeat of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, task force officials reported today.
- Coalition Partner Force Captures ISIS Terrorists in Southern Syria AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- Coalition partner force Maghawir al-Thowra detained 12 suspicious persons transiting inside the coalition-held 55-kilometer deconfliction zone around Tanf in southern Syria, Aug. 9, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials announced today.
- Afghan Forces 'Retake Most of Ghazni' As Battle Rages For Fourth Day RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- Afghan government forces have retaken most of Ghazni from the Taliban as clashes continued for a fourth straight day after the militant group launched an assault on the eastern city, officials say.
- Almost 200 Militants Killed as Afghan Army Seeks to Reclaim Ghazni – Minister Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Taliban militants and security forces have been locked in a deadly battle in Afghanistan's strategically important Ghazni province since early Friday. Afganistan's defense minister stated on Monday that at least 90 soldiers and almost 200 militants have so far been killed in the clashes.
Defense Policy / Programs
- President Signs Fiscal 2019 Defense Authorization Act at Fort Drum Ceremony AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- President Donald J. Trump today signed the $717 billion Fiscal 2019 National Defense Authorization Act at a ceremony at Fort Drum, New York.
- President signs National Defense Authorization Act, with 2.6 percent pay raise for troops Army News 13 Aug 2018 -- President Donald J. Trump signed the fiscal year 2019 National Defense Authorization Act -- which provides for a 2.6 percent pay raise for troops, the highest increase in nine years -- as well as a 3.4 percent increase for basic allowance for subsistence and a 2.9 percent increase for basic allowance for housing.
- Remarks by President Trump at a Signing Ceremony for H.R. 5515, "John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019" The White House 13 Aug 2018
- Remarks by Vice President Pence at a Signing Ceremony for H.R. 5515, The "John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2019" The White House 13 Aug 2018
- Statement by President Donald J. Trump on H.R. 5515 The White House 13 Aug 2018
- President Donald J. Trump Signs H.R. 5515 into Law The White House 13 Aug 2018
- Air Force awards hypersonic weapon contract AFNS 13 Aug 2018 -- Today the Air Force has awarded a contract not to exceed $480,000,000 to Lockheed Martin Missiles & Fire Control to begin designing a second hypersonic weapon prototype.
- Mattis Begins South America Trip with Stop in Brazil AFPS 13 Aug 2018 -- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis arrived in Brazil today for the first stop of a trip to assess the military-to-military relations between the United States and its South American partners.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' meeting with Brazil Minister of Defense Silva e Luna, Chief of Joint Staff Adm. Ademir Sobrinho and the Brazilian service chiefs DoD 13 Aug 2018
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' meeting with Brazil Minister of Foreign Affairs Aloysio Nunes DoD 13 Aug 2018
- PANAMAX 2018 Concludes in Mayport NNS 13 Aug 2018 -- PANAMAX 2018 concluded at U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/U.S. 4th Fleet (USNAVSO/FOURTHFLT), Aug. 10.
- Gunston Hall Conducts Scheduled Mid-Deployment Voyage Repair for Southern Seas 2018 Deployment NNS 13 Aug 2018 -- The Whidbey Island-Class landing dock ship USS Gunston Hall (LSD 44) completed a successful mid-deployment voyage repair (MDVR) during a brief port visit to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Aug. 4.
- Cryptologic Warfare Group 6 Stands Up New Commands NNS 13 Aug 2018 -- Cryptologic Warfare Group (CWG) 6 stood up three new commands, Cryptologic Warfare Activities (CWA) 65, 66 and 67, during a ceremony at McGill Training Center, Aug. 10.
- US, Japan Putting $9 Billion Into Developing Guam as Okinawa Alternative Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- A multibillion US-Japan project to develop the island of Guam as a base for more US Marines is underway following years of complaints about the US military's footprint in Okinawa, Japan.
- The ART of training the total force AFNS 13 Aug 2018 -- Intelligence analysts sit in front of computer monitors, closely watching images of an ongoing mission, but they are feeling stressed. The reason for this stress could vary, from work to personal issues. Whatever the reason, the analysts may not be performing to their maximum capability, until they are suddenly interrupted with a simple question, "How are you doing today?"
- NRL Provides 'Eyes' for NASA Solar Probe Mission NNS 13 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Naval Research Laboratory's (NRL) Wide-Field Imager for Solar Probe (WISPR) launched at 3:31 a.m., Aug.12, from Space Launch Complex 37 aboard a United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket for the historic NASA Parker Solar Probe mission.
- Destination Taiwan? J-16 Fighters Join Chinese Air Force Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- A new squadron of J-16 fighter aircraft has joined the People's Liberation Army Air Force as part of possible operations against Taiwan, according to the South China Morning Post.
- Iran's Army unveils 4 achievements IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Four new defense achievements of Iran's Army Ground Forces, including software and hardware, were unveiled on Monday.
- New generation of Iranian precision missiles unveiled IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Fateh-e Mobin missile with advanced smart warhead was inaugurated at the presence of Iranian Minister of Defense Brigadier-General Amir Hatami on Monday.
- Iran self-sufficient in defense: Cmdr IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Armed Forces are self-sufficient in all fields of defense and can offer their capabilities to other friendly countries, said the commander of the Ground Force of the Iranian Army on Monday.
- Iran unveils new generation of precision-guided missiles ISNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran unveiled new generation of its surface-to-surface precision guided missiles known as "Fateh Mobin" equipped with advanced and smart warhead during a ceremony where Iranian Minister of Defense Amir Hatami was in attendance.
- Iran's army unveils 4 new achievements ISNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Army unveiled its four new achievements on Monday, during a ceremony where a number of senior officials including Iran's army ground force commander, Brigadier general Naser Arasteh were in attendance.
- Iran Unveils New Radar-Evading Anti-Ship Missile Amid Hormuz Strait Tensions Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Tensions between Iran and the United States spiked after Washington pulled out of the Iran nuclear deal and vowed to bring Iranian oil experts down "to zero" through sanctions, with Tehran responding that any threats to its oil exports could lead to the closure of the Strait of Hormuz, the world's most important oil artery.
- Iran Reportedly Ready to Share Its New Military Tech With 'Brotherly Countries' Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Earlier, the Iranian Defense Ministry announced plans to overhaul and manufacture more than 700 domestically-built tanks, including Karrar (Striker), part of the country's plans to boost its defense power.
- 13 August 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Aug 2018
- UNICEF appeals for end to 'war on children' in Syria and Yemen UN News 13 Aug 2018 -- Attacks against children caught in the conflicts in Syria and Yemen must stop, the UN children's agency, UNICEF, appealed on Monday.
- Yemen targets Saudi troops positions with guided missiles IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- The missile units of the Yemeni army targeted and destroyed positions of Saudi troops in Jizan with guided missiles Sunday night, Almasirah news network reported.
- Syrian army liberates more areas in Sweida Badiyah IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army's units, in cooperation with the allied forces, achieved a new progress against Daesh (ISIS) terrorists in Sweida Badiyah (desert), tightening the noose around them in Tiloul al-Safa, SANA reported.
- Somalia: UN urges steps to ensure future elections not 'marred' by rights abuses seen in recent polls UN News 13 Aug 2018 -- In a report released on Monday, the United Nations urged Somalia to take steps to ensure future elections are not marred by the human rights violations and abuses committed during the 2016-2017 electoral process.
- Russia To Continue Slashing U.S. Bond Holdings, May Stop Payments In Dollars RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- Russia's finance minister says his country will continue to reduce investments in U.S. government bonds and may stop making global payments in dollars in response to new sanctions being imposed by Washington against Moscow.
- Official: Europe firm on political commitment to keep JCPOA IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Deputy Foreign Minister for political affairs Abbas Araqchi underlined that Europe's political commitment to preserve Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is still strong.
- Supreme Leader: Economic problems internal, not sanctions effects IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei on Monday said the current economic hardships in the country are mostly the result of internal elements than sanctions.
- There will be no war, nor negotiation with the U.S.: Ayatollah Khamenei ISNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Thousands of people from various groups met with Ayatollah Khamenei at the Hussayniyeh of Imam Khomeini on Monday, August 13, 2018.
- Europe won't confront with US in favor of Iran: AEOI spokesman ISNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Spokesman for the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Behrouz Kamalvandi stresses that Europe won't confront with US in favor of Iran.
- Khamenei Calls For 'Better Management' To Overcome Iran Sanctions RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has said that the country's economic difficulties were the result of internal "mismanagement" more than U.S. pressure.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Khamenei Says No War, No Negotiations With US Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has banned holding any direct talks with the United States, according to state television.
- Convention of Caspian Sea legal status sign of good neighborliness, cooperation IRNA 13 Aug 2018 -- Presidents of five Caspian Sea littoral states signed on Sunday the convention on the legal status of the Caspian Sea; a landmark instrument that is expected to expand good-neighborly relations among parties including Iran, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Russia and Kazakhstan.
- State Department Terrorist Designation of Qassim Abdullah Ali Ahmed, AKA Qassim al-Muamen US Dept. of State 13 Aug 2018 -- The Department of State has designated Qassim Abdullah Ali Ahmed, AKA Qassim al-Muamen, as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) under Section 1(b) of Executive Order 13224, which imposes sanctions on foreign persons who have committed, or pose a significant risk of committing, acts of terrorism.
- Pakistan Swears In Newly-Elected Parliament RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- Members of Pakistan's newly-elected parliament have been sworn in following general elections last month that were marred by allegations of fraud.
- Turkey's president calls lira plunge "plot", threatens to seek new alliances People's Daily 13 Aug 2018 -- The plunge of Turkish lira is "a plot against Turkey" and the country will seek new partners and markets if the United States does not back down on its hostile policy, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
- India's Second Moon Mission as Complex as NASA's Apollo Mission - Space Agency Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- The Indian Space Agency had planned the launch of its second moon mission for October this year, but scientists reviewing their preparedness suggested that more tests were needed before the launch. The mission is now likely to be preceded by Israel's moon mission, planned for December this year.
- Turkish Central Bank Takes Steps To Curb Currency Crisis RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- Turkey's central bank says it is ready to take "all necessary measures" to ensure financial stability following a plunge in the value of the national currency.
- Turkish Finance Chief Says 'Action Plan' Set To Ease Market Turmoil RFE/RL 13 Aug 2018 -- The Turkish finance minister says his government has prepared an "action plan" to help ease market worries as the national currency continues to tumble in the face of planned U.S. sanctions.
- US Contradicts Its Alliance With Turkey on Fundamental Security Issues - Ankara Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Çavusoglu lashed out at the United States on Monday amid the strain in relations between the two states that followed President Trump's decision to double steel and aluminum tariffs already in place on Turkish imports.
- Erdogan: Turkey Hits Final Stage of Preparations for New Operations in Syria Sputnik 13 Aug 2018 -- Turkey has reached the final stage of preparations for its new military operations in the neighboring Syria, the country's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|