04 August 2018 Military News
- Taliban takes control of Chenartu, Afghanistan IRNA 04 Aug 2018 -- A local official in Uruzgan Province, central Afghanistan announced that Taliban has taken control of Chenartu city.
- Afghan Mosque Attack Victims Buried in Common Grave VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- Villagers and relatives in eastern Afghanistan Saturday dug a common grave and buried 35 victims of the previous day's devastating suicide gun-and-bomb attack on a Shiite mosque.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Partners with NOAA on Glider Hurricane Research Program NNS 04 Aug 2018 -- The Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (CNMOC), in cooperation with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), launched an ongoing operation last week to introduce Navy unmanned underwater vehicles, also known as Littoral Battlespace Sensing (LBS) gliders, into areas of known hurricane development tracks in the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea.
- NATO to Build 1st Air Base in Western Balkans in Albania - Prime Minister Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- NATO is planning to build its first air base in the Western Balkans near the municipality of Kucove in central Albania, Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama said on Saturday.
- Russia Grants Kazakhstan Access to Military Satellite Signal – Space Agency Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- Kazakhstan now has access to a frequency of Russia's Glonass global navigation system used by the military to guide high-precision weaponry, a Kazakh space agency official told Sputnik.
- US State Department approves sale of Black Hawk choppers to Latvia Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- The US State Department has approved an arms sales package worth $200 million to the Baltic state of Latvia as part of NATO's eastward expansion.
- When Size Matters: German Military Faces XL Problem With New Super Tanks Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- The country's army has ordered some 350 Puma tanks - considered to be the most expensive at about $9.3 million each - as well as other up-to-date vehicles of its class, to revamp the national forces. But it turns out that soldiers may be too tall to fit inside the German machines due to an alleged failure in planning and design.
- Press Availability at the 51st ASEAN Foreign Ministers' Meeting and Related Meetings US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2018 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- US Congress Demands Regular Reporting on Chinese Actions in South China Sea Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- The US military has been ordered by Congress to report on Chinese military activity in the South China Sea, but this measure is likely to do little more than give the US justification for maintaining a presence in the backyard of the world's second-largest economy.
- Yemeni ballistic missiles target S. Arabia IRNA 04 Aug 2018 -- Yemeni Army's missiles unit and popular committees on Friday night targeted positions of Saudi forces in the south of the country with ballistic missiles
- Fresh Yemen hospital attack raises risk of new cholera epidemic: UN IRNA 04 Aug 2018 -- A deadly attack on one of the last functioning hospitals in Yemen in the key port city of Hudaydah has put hundreds of thousands of people at risk and damaged efforts to prevent a third cholera epidemic in the war-torn country, top UN officials warned on Friday.
- Yemeni combat drone strikes Saudi military base in Asir: Report Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- Yemen's army and its allies have struck a Saudi military base in the kingdom's southwestern region of Asir with a combat drone, managing to capture dozens of mercenaries in the western coasts of Yemen following a retaliatory offensive.
- Saudi under missile barrage after Hudaydah attacks Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- Yemen has fired five missiles at southern Saudi Arabia shortly after a coalition of invaders led by the kingdom staged deadly strikes against the country's al-Hudaydah Province.
- Russia confirms it sent Syria rebuilding proposal to US Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- Russia's Defense Ministry has confirmed it sent a letter to Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford last month with a proposal to cooperate on reconstructing Syria and repatriating refugees to the war-torn country.
- Tehran Reveals Terms of Its Withdrawal From Syria Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- Iran might decrease its military presence in Syria and even leave altogether after the situation in the war-torn country normalizes and the fight against terrorism there brings significant results, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi said.
- Al-Nusra Terrorists in Idlib Reportedly Reject Ankara's Demand to Disband Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- In February 2018, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan pledged that the Turkish army will do its best to destroy the threat of terrorism in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib.
- UN Confirms Return Of Peacekeepers To Syrian-Israeli Border RFE/RL 04 Aug 2018 -- United Nations has confirmed Russia's claim that UN peacekeepers have returned to a buffer zone on the border between Syria and the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights for the first time in six years.
- Over Half of UN Peacekeepers Deployed on Syrian Side of Golan Heights – UNDOF Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- More than half of all United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) peacekeepers in the Golan Heights are positioned on the Syrian side, including Camp Faouar headquarters, UNDOF public information officer Keishamaza Rukikaire-Kagwa told Sputnik.
- Unresolved Eritrea-Djibouti Tensions Threaten Regional Peace VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- When Eritrea and Ethiopia agreed last month to end their decades-long conflict, the international community responded enthusiastically.
- Russia Slams Latest U.S. Sanctions Efforts, Says They 'Do Not Work' RFE/RL 04 Aug 2018 -- Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov has blasted the latest sanctions efforts coming out of Washington, contending that experience has shown such sanctions "do not work."
- North Korean FM Slated To Visit Iran As U.S. Tensions Rise For Both Countries RFE/RL 04 Aug 2018 -- North Korea's foreign minister is scheduled to visit Iran on August 7, as both countries deal with stepped up political and financial pressure from the United States over their nuclear programs.
- Trump Letter Delivered to Kim; N. Korea 'Alarmed' at Sanctions VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is wrapping up his Southeast Asia tour in Jakarta, but North Korea again is capturing much of the attention.
- US Calls on Countries to Maintain Sanctions on North Korea VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- The United States has urged countries to be diligent in maintaining sanctions on North Korea.
- Trump's letter to Kim delivered to North Koreans Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- A US delegation has given North Koreans a letter from President Donald Trump to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- North Korea alarmed by US attitude toward nuclear deal Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- North Korea has hit out at the US for urging that sanctions be maintained against Pyongyang, saying it is increasingly alarmed by US attitudes towards the country.
- U.S. Calls On Russia To Comply With UN Sanctions On North Korea RFE/RL 04 Aug 2018 -- The United States has called on Russia to comply with UN sanctions on North Korea, citing "deeply troubling" reports that Moscow has granted new work permits to North Korean laborers that are barred under the sanctions.
- N Korean FM Slams US' Stance on Pyongyang's Denuclearization Drive Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- In late July, US President Donald Trump praised North Korean leader Kim Jong-un for making "terrific progress" toward peace, saying that "for nine months, no nuclear tests, no rockets are going up, no missiles are going over Japan."
- North Korea Has Not Stopped Its Nuclear Program, Violates UN Sanctions - Reports Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- Pyongyang has not stopped its nuclear and missile programs in violation of the United Nations sanctions, according to a UN report seen by Reuters.
- Chinese Foreign Minister Vows to Assist North Korean Economy Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- China will promote North Korea's economic growth and national development, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said in Singapore on Friday.
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-Wha US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2018
- Secretary Pompeo's Meeting With Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono US Dept. of State 04 Aug 2018
- Iran not to talk with US under pressure: Spokesman IRNA 04 Aug 2018 -- Iran will not talk with the US under pressure, Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
- Support for terrorism, enemies' plot to undermine Iran: Defense chief Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says enemies have supported terrorism in the Middle East and hatched plots to cause chaos in regional countries, including Iraq and Syria, and undermine Iran.
- Iranian Cities Hit By More Protests Over Economic Woes RFE/RL 04 Aug 2018 -- One demonstrator was reportedly fatally shot in northern Iran as hundreds of people returned to the streets of several Iranian cities on August 3 for a fourth consecutive day of protests amid growing anxiety over the country's economic difficulties and the return of U.S. sanctions.
- China plans additional tariffs on 5,207 items of U.S. products People's Daily 04 Aug 2018 -- China on Friday announced its decision to impose additional tariffs of four different rates on 5,207 items of imported U.S. products worth 60 billion U.S. dollars.
- Over 110 student protesters wounded in clashes with police in Bangladesh Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- More than 100 people, mainly students, have been wounded in the Bangladeshi capital of Dhaka after police fired rubber bullets at thousands of student demonstrators protesting against the death of two fellow students mowed down by a speeding bus in the city.
- Brazilian Workers' Party Nominates Jailed Ex-Head Lula as Presidential Candidate Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- The congress of the Brazilian left-wing Workers' Party (PT) on Saturday announced that it would nominate former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, currently serving a jail term on corruption charges, its candidate for the October presidential vote.
- Druze engage in mass rally in Tel Aviv against 'Jewish state law' Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- Tens of thousands of Israeli Druze have gathered in central Tel Aviv to protest Israel's controversial "Jewish state" law.
- Turkey vows retaliation against US sanctions Press TV 03 Aug 2018 -- Turkey has vowed to retaliate against a recent US move to sanction two ministers of the cabinet of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- In tit-for-tat response, Erdogan says Turkey to freeze assets of 'US justice, interior ministers' Press TV 04 Aug 2018 -- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says Ankara will freeze the assets in Turkey of the US ministers of "justice and interior," in tit-for-tat response to US sanctions on his country over the detention of an American pastor.
- Turkey to Freeze Assets of 2 US Officials as Feud Deepens VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced retaliatory measures Saturday against the U.S., following the U.S. sanctioning of two senior ministers for the ongoing detention of an American pastor.
- Congolese Refugees Risk Infecting Neighboring Countries with Ebola VOA 04 Aug 2018 -- U.N. officials warn the deadly Ebola virus could be spread by refugees leaving the Democratic Republic of Congo's North Kivu province. Officials are urging neighboring countries to increase surveillance at border crossings.
- Brexit supporters criticise Bank of England chief over "no deal" fears People's Daily 04 Aug 2018 -- The governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, was described Friday as the "high priest of project fear" after he warned the prospect of a future trading deal between Britain and the European Union was uncomfortably high.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|