28 July 2018 Military News
- Taliban, U.S. Officials Reportedly Meet For Talks In Doha RFE/RL 28 Jul 2018 -- U.S. and Taliban officials met this week for direct talks aimed at setting up peace negotiations to end 17 years of war in Afghanistan, a Taliban official said.
- Taliban Describes as 'Productive' Initial Direct Talks with US VOA 28 Jul 2018 -- The Taliban has confirmed that it held direct talks with the United States in Qatar this week on finding a negotiated end to the 17-year war in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Carl Vinson Rescues Mariners off Hawaiian Coast NNS 28 Jul 2018 -- Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) rescued five mariners in distress July 27 near Hawaii's westernmost inhabited island.
- Mattis: U.S. Not Pursuing Regime Change In Iran RFE/RL 28 Jul 2018 -- The United States is not after regime change in Iran, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has said.
- Russian Defense Industry Reveals Time Frame for Delivery of New Strategic Arms Sputnik 28 Jul 2018 -- Earlier this year, the Russian president announced that Russia was well underway in upgrading its strategic defenses amid NATO's increasing deployments by Russia's borders, US efforts to build a missile defense shield in Europe, and Washington's plans spend over a trillion dollars to modernize the country's nuclear arsenal.
- S-400 Missile Systems Tested in Kamchatka Sputnik 28 Jul 2018 -- S-400 surface-to-air missile systems, during exercises in Kamchatka, successfully hit a complex high-speed target, the press service of the Eastern Military District reported.
- US trying to create anti-Iran 'Arab NATO,' but divisions persist among PG states Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- Informed sources say the administration of US President Donald Trump has been quietly pushing ahead with a plan to create a NATO-like security and political alliance between Arab countries to confront Iran despite deep divisions among the Persian Gulf Arab states.
- Taiwan to Increase Defense Budget by $598.6 Mln in 2019 - Prime Minister Sputnik 28 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan, officially known as the Republic of China (ROC), intends to increase its defense spending by $598.6 million in 2019 in order to increase its capacities to ensure peace and stability in the region, but also to demonstrate the territory's self-sufficiency to Beijing, ROC Prime Minister Lai Ching-te said.
- Chinese military recruitment eyes more college students People's Daily 28 Jul 2018 -- China's 2018 military recruitment will run from Aug. 1 to Sept. 30, focusing on recruiting people with a higher educational background, according to a national conscription teleconference on Friday.
- China to test new Russian S-400 air defense system: Source Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- China is reportedly set to test fire its advanced Russian-made S-400 Triumf missile defense system in the coming days.
- Yemen air force to enter into war soon: Houthi IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Head of Yemen's Supreme Revolutionary Committee Mohammad Ali Al-Houthi said on Saturday that the country's air force will enter into war with the Saudi-US aggressors soon.
- Yemeni army downs Saudi drone IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Yemeni Army's air defense and popular committees shot down a Saudi coalition's spy drone over the country's southwestern region of Asir late Friday.
- Iran: Syria prioritizing return of refugees IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Senior assistant to Iran's Foreign Minister for political affairs said paving the way for return of refugees, setting up reform committee of the Constitution and activation of committee to exchange arrested and missing people are priorities of Syria.
- Armed groups handing over weapons in Quneitra IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Armed groups positioned in Jubata al-Khashab in Quneitra Countryside have handed over new batches of heavy and medium weapons to the Syrian Arab Army according to the agreement reached earlier, Syrian Arab News Agency (SANA) reported.
- Terrorists conduct sabotage in southern Syria IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Terrorist groups carried out systematic acts of destruction and sabotage against artefacts of the Archaeological Museum in Bosra al-Sham city, in addition to conducting illegal excavation works with the aim of discovering archaeological treasures and smuggling them out of Syria, Syrian media 'SANA' reported.
- Militants hand over medium, heavy weapons in southwestern Syria Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- Foreign-sponsored Takfiri militants have handed over a considerable amount of their medium and heavy munitions to government forces in Syria's strategic southwestern province of Quneitra as army troops continue to make territorial gains and inflict stinging blows on the extremists.
- Kurds reach deal with Damascus to end Syria conflict Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- An alliance of Kurdish and Arab militants in Syria says it has come to an agreement with the Syrian government to develop negotiations to end violence in Syria.
- Expulsion of all military aggressors from Syria imminent: Diplomat Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- Syria's acting chargé d'affaires to the United Nations says all military aggressors will leave the Arab country soon as the army and its allies gain more ground against foreign-backed terrorists on the battlefield.
- Russian Air Force in Syria Destroys UAV Launched Toward Hmeymim Base Sputnik 28 Jul 2018 -- The Russian Center for Syrian Reconciliation has called on the commanders of illegal armed formations to give up provocations and agree to a peaceful settlement of the conflict in areas under their control.
- US-Turkey to Conduct Joint Patrols in Syria, Pentagon Head Mattis Says Sputnik 28 Jul 2018 -- The United States and Turkey will start joint military patrols in Syria in a matter of weeks, US Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters on Friday.
- Kurdish-backed SDC to Work With Syria to End War VOA 28 Jul 2018 -- The Kurdish-backed Syrian Democratic Council (SDC) says after meeting with Syrian government officials that it will work with the government to end seven years of violence in the country.
- Trump 'open' to visiting Moscow: White House Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump is "open" to visiting Moscow, the White House said after Russian President Vladimir Putin indicated he has invited his American counterpart for another one-on-one meeting.
- Russian hackers focusing on US power grid more than electoral systems: Sources Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- US intelligence officials say Russian hackers are shifting their focus on the country's power grid rather than its electoral systems, a report says.
- Kocharian Backers Demand Armenian Authorities Release Jailed Ex-President RFE/RL 28 Jul 2018 -- Representatives of jailed former Armenian President Robert Kocharian blasted his arrest, calling it "obvious political and personal persecution" and demanded his immediate release, as the government steps up actions against the country's previous leaders.
- Armenia's Ex-President Kocharian Taken Into Custody Over 2008 Crackdown RFE/RL 28 Jul 2018 -- Former President Robert Kocharian has been taken into custody by Armenian authorities after being charged in connection with the deadly crackdown on opposition protests following the disputed presidential election in 2008.
- Thousands Of Russians Protest Against Hike In Retirement Age RFE/RL 28 Jul 2018 -- Tens of thousands of Russians have rallied across the country to protest against a controversial plan to raise the retirement age.
- Defense Minister: Iran never to bow to enemies' pressures IRNA 28 Jul 2018 -- Defense Minister Brigadier-General Amir Hatami said on Saturday that the Islamic Republic of Iran under no circumstances will yield to the mounting pressures exerted by the enemies.
- Iran will by no means bow to enemies' demands: Defense minister Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic will never bow to enemies' excessive demands.
- Iran to respond in kind if interests endangered: IRGC commander Press TV 28 Jul 2018 -- A senior commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has warned any country that seeks to endanger Iran's interests, particularly the United States, saying Tehran will retaliate in kind in such a case.
- Make Sunday 'an important celebration of democracy' UN chief urges voters in Mali UN News 28 Jul 2018 -- On the eve of Mali's crucial presidential election, the United Nations Secretary-General said that despite clear security challenges, voters in the arid African nation of around 18 million, needed to ensure that the key poll was first and foremost "an important celebration of democracy".
- Somalia Leader Makes Historic Trip to Eritrea VOA 28 Jul 2018 -- Somalia President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo began an historic three-day visit to Eritrea on Saturday, where he holds talks with his counterpart in Asmara.
- As Cambodia's Election Nears, Ruling Party Seeks to Win War for Legitimacy VOA 28 Jul 2018 -- Despite the absence of Cambodia's main opposition party from Sunday's elections, the ruling Cambodian People's Party has not rested on its laurels, maintaining a strong presence during the campaign, both on social media and in the streets.
- Cambodia Parliamentary Election Starts, With Media Muffled VOA 28 Jul 2018 -- Polls opened Sunday for Cambodians to vote for all 125 seats in the country's National Assembly, in a process widely criticized for the lack of a significant opposition to the ruling Cambodian People's Party.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|