22 July 2018 Military News
- Statement on the Continued Success of Operations to Defeat ISIS in Syria US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2018 -- "We congratulate the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) on their successful operations to liberate al-Dashisha, Syria, from the scourge of ISIS. Dashisha since 2013 has been a key stronghold and transit route for ISIS fighters, weapons, and suicide bombers between Syria and Iraq. The SDF now controls the area, with Iraqi Security Forces controlling the Iraqi side of the border."
- Pakistan: Ghani's Overtures to Taliban Give Hope for Afghan Peace VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- Afghanistan hosted a new round of ongoing wide-ranging discussions with Pakistan Sunday in an effort to build mutual confidence and work together to bring an end to the Afghan conflict.
- Deadly Bomb Hits Kabul Minutes After Exiled Dostum Returns Home VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- Afghan authorities say a powerful bomb went off near Kabul's international airport Sunday, killing at least 16 people and wounding 60 others, just minutes after first vice president, Abdul Rashid Dostum, returned home from exile.
- Afghanistan's vice president escapes deadly bombing Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Nearly a dozen people have been killed and at least 14 others injured in a bombing carried out at Kabul's airport, where scores had gathered to welcome home Afghanistan's Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum, who had been in exile.
- Afghan Vice President Dostum Escapes Suicide Attack; 14 Others Killed RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- Afghan Vice President Abdul Rashid Dostum narrowly escaped a deadly suicide bombing at Kabul airport as he returned home from more than a year in exile in Turkey over allegations of torturing and abusing a political rival.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Truman Strike Group Returns to Norfolk, Remains Ready NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Nearly 6,500 Sailors of the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (HSTCSG) arrived in Naval Station (NS) Norfolk, Virginia, July 21.
- Exercise Sea Breeze 2018 Concludes NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- The 18th iteration of exercise Sea Breeze concluded following a closing ceremony in Odessa, Ukraine, July 17.
- Multi-National Mine Countermeasure Coalition Participate in RIMPAC 2018 NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Mine Countermeasures Squadron Three and Mine Countermeasures Division Three One, based at Naval Base Point Loma, are leading a coalition of international maritime forces throughout the month of July conducting Mine Countermeasure (MCM) operations as part of the Southern California component of Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise 2018.
- RIMPAC 2018 Hosts Submarine Rescue Symposium NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Approximately 30 submarine officers and civilian contractors from 13 nations attended a Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise 2018 submarine rescue symposium hosted at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, July 9.
- Special Operations Forces Practice Submarine Insertion during RIMPAC 2018 NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Members of the multinational special operations force supporting the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise participated in a submarine insertion evolution at sea off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii, July 9.
- RIMPAC Mine Warfare Operations Underway in SOCAL NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Commander Task Force (CTF) 177, led by U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Dave Welch, commander, Naval Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center (SMWDC) and the Navy's Global Mine Warfare Commander, kicked off the Southern California (SOCAL) portion of the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise with mine warfare training operations, which run from June 27 to Aug. 2.
- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center San Diego Supports RIMPAC 2018 NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) San Diego is lending its support to the Rim of the Pacific Exercise (RIMPAC) this July as the Navy trains with 24 other nations to improve interoperability between Pacific Rim armed forces.
- Israeli Head of Naval Operations Visits USS Bonhomme Richard during RIMPAC 2018 NNS 22 Jul 2018 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) welcomed Israeli Navy Rear Adm. Ido Ben-Moshe, head of naval operations, for a ship's tour, July 18, during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2018 exercise.
- Pentagon surprised by Trump-Putin military deals Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- The US Defense Department has been reportedly caught off guard by reports of military agreements between President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, during their recent meeting in Finland.
- Argentina Ready to Host Several US Military Bases - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- Argentina's President Mauricio Macri has given the green light to the creation of several US military bases on his country's territory, media reported citing sources.
- Japan's Expenses for US Aegis Ashore Systems Deployment to Grow by 30% - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The Japanese Defense Ministry plans to increase expenditures for deployment of a US land-based missile defense systems, Aegis Ashore by 20-30 percent up to 250 billion yen ($2.2 billion), The Mainichi Shimbun newspaper reported citing military sources on Sunday.
- Mattis Reportedly Slams Turkey's HR Record, Supports Delivery of F-35s Sputnik 21 Jul 2018 -- Ankara has been facing difficulties in its acquisition of the F-35 despite making all the necessary payments, including contributing to its development. The US Congress has attempted to block Turkey from obtaining the fifth generation jet, citing security concerns due to Ankara's purchase of Russian S-400 air defense systems.
- Enemies failed in military aggression to seize Yemen's Hudaydah: Ansarullah Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- The spokesman for Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement says the Saudi-led military alliance has dismally failed in its campaign to overrun the strategic western Yemeni port city of Hudaydah.
- Evacuation of the White Helmets From Southwest Syria US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2018 -- "The United States welcomes the safe evacuation of more than 400 members of the Syrian Civil Defense, otherwise known as the White Helmets, and their families from southwest Syria. We are glad that these ?brave volunteers, who have saved thousands of lives, are now out of harm's way."
- White Helmets evacuated from Syria to Israel: Report Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Members of a Western-backed "aid group" accused of working with Takfiri militants and staging false flag gas attacks in Syria have reportedly been evacuated to an Israeli military base.
- Syria TV: Israeli warplanes hit military post in Hama Province Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Israeli warplanes have bombarded a military post in Syria's central province of Hama, Syrian state television reports.
- Syrian, Russian jets step up anti-terror push against Daesh Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Syrian warplanes, backed by the Russian air force, have stepped up strikes against the gatherings of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group along the Jordan-Israel border in southwestern Syria.
- Unknown Drones Attack Russian Base in Syria Two Days in Row - MoD Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- On Saturday the Russian Defense Ministry's Reconciliation Center already reported that a drone launched from a militant-controlled area had been detected and destroyed near the Hmeymim airbase in Syria.
- Israel Evacuates White Helmets' Members From Syria at Request of US, EU States Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- Jordan Takes White Helmets in
- Israel Evacuates 422 Syrian Civilians from War Zone to Jordan VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- Israel evacuated 422 volunteer White Helmet rescuers and their families from the Syrian war zone Saturday night and took them to Jordan in a convoy of buses accompanied by Israeli police and United Nations vehicles.
- 15 Daesh Takfiris killed as army jets strike areas in eastern Iraq Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- More than a dozen members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have been killed when Iraqi Air Force fighter jets carried out a string of airstrikes against militant hideouts in the country's eastern province of Diyala.
- Niger army 'kills 10 Boko Haram terrorists' Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- The Nigerien army says it has killed at least 10 members of the Takfiri Boko Haram terrorist group, who attacked one of its military positions in the southeast of the African country.
- Essential services on verge of shutdown in Gaza as emergency fuel set to run out UN News 22 Jul 2018 -- Supplies of emergency fuel provided by the United Nations for critical facilities in Gaza are being fast depleted, a senior UN relief official there warned on Sunday.
- Statement by the Press Secretary on the South Sudan Peace Process The White House 22 Jul 2018
- US 'Deeply Concerned' Over South Sudan Peace Process VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- The United States is expressing deep concern about the direction of the peace process in South Sudan, saying President Salva Kiir and opposition leader Riek Machar "have not demonstrated the leadership required to bring genuine peace and accountable governance" to the nation.
- Trump: Surveillance Court Was 'Misled' to OK Wiretapping of Ex-Aide VOA 22 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Sunday that newly released documents about the origins of an investigation of a former adviser's links to Russia help vindicate his claim that U.S. government investigators were spying on his 2016 election campaign.
- Ex-Trump campaign adviser conspired with Russia: FBI Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Newly-released documents by the Federal Bureau of Investigation suggest that former Trump presidential campaign adviser Carter Page collaborated and conspired with Russia prior to the 2016 US election.
- FBI Releases Documents On Suspicions Of Russia Ties By Former Trump Aide RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- The FBI has released documents related to the surveillance of a former campaign adviser to Donald Trump as part of its probe into whether the aide conspired with the Russian government to interfere in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- U.S. Intelligence Director Says He Meant No Disrespect To Trump RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's director of national intelligence (DNI) says he did not mean to be disrespectful toward the president when he responded to news that Russian leader Vladimir Putin would likely soon visit the White House.
- FBI Releases Surveillance Documents on Ex-Trump Campaign Adviser - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The Department of Justice released Saturday documents related to the surveillance of former Trump presidential campaign adviser Carter Page as part of a Russiagate investigation, US media reported.
- Lavrov Urges Butina Release In Phone Call With Pompeo RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has complained to his U.S. counterpart, Mike Pompeo, about the U.S. detention of Russian national Maria Butina on charges of conspiracy and acting as an unregistered foreign agent.
- Ecuador about to hand over Assange to UK: Report Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- A source close to Ecuador's government has reportedly confirmed that the country's President Lenin Moreno has nearly reached a deal with the United Kingdom to hand over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange – who has taken refuge in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London – "within the next several weeks."
- North Korea's Nuclear Production Capability Still Intact - US Commander Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The United States has not recorded "a complete shutdown" of nuclear materials' production in North Korea, US Forces Korea Commander Gen. Vincent Brooks said.
- Trump Growing Frustrated Over Lack of Progress with Pyongyang - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has requested daily briefings and updates on progress with North Korea and is looking forward to the end of Pyongyang's nuclear program, The Washington Post reported.
- Supporting Iranian Voices US Dept. of State 22 Jul 2018 -- Remarks by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Do not play with fire: Iran President warns Trump IRNA 22 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump should not play with fire, warned Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday.
- Iran's top leader rejects talks with U.S. to solve problems People's Daily 22 Jul 2018 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Saturday said that any negotiation with the United States to solve the existing mutual problems is an "obvious mistake," official IRNA news agency reported.
- Rouhani: Peace with Iran will be mother of all peace, war with Iran will be mother of all wars Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- President Hassan Rouhani of Iran says the United States should know that peace with Iran will be the mother of all peace while war with the country will be the mother of all wars.
- Europe must offer plans for full implementation of Iran nuclear deal: Larijani Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- The speaker of Iran's Parliament says European countries must offer their plans for the full implementation of a nuclear agreement signed between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries following withdrawal of the United States from the deal.
- Iran's Rohani Warns Trump: 'Don't Play With The Lion's Tail' RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani has warned U.S. President Donald Trump against pursuing hostile policies against Tehran, saying "America should know peace with Iran is the mother of all peace, and war with Iran is the mother of all wars."
- 'US Should Know War With Iran Is Mother of All Wars' - Iranian President Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The statement came just a day after Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei supported President Hassan Rouhani's suggestion that his country may block Gulf oil exports in the event Iranian exports are stopped.
- Xi arrives in Senegal for state visit People's Daily 22 Jul 2018 -- President Xi Jinping arrived here Saturday for the first state visit to Senegal by a Chinese head of state in nine years.
- Pakistan army calls for probe into claims against spy agency Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan's army has called for the Supreme Court to launch an investigation into claims made by a high court judge pertaining to the country's spy agency interfering in judiciary affairs.
- Pakistani Candidate Killed In Latest Attack Ahead Of July 25 Elections RFE/RL 22 Jul 2018 -- A Pakistani candidate and his driver were killed in a suicide attack in the country's northwest, in the latest violence related to the July 25 national elections.
- Saudi Arabia Faces Problems Selling Extra Oil After Deal With US - Reports Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- President Donald Trump has persuaded Saudi Arabia's king to increase oil production to make up for a shortfall from Iran, Venezuela and Libya.
- Saudis struggling to sell oil, regret opening taps 'too quickly': Independent Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Shortly after indications grew that Saudi Arabia had increased its production of crude oil in response to a call to the same effect by US President Donald Trump, concerns are reportedly surfacing in the kingdom that the taps may have been turned open too quickly.
- UK Threatens Not to Pay EU Divorce Bill if Trade Deal Not Agreed Upon Sputnik 22 Jul 2018 -- The customs agreement and the payment of a vast divorce bill remain the main sticking points in London's stuttering Brexit talks with the EU.
- Rival protesters march in Nicaragua amidst unrest, mounting death toll Press TV 22 Jul 2018 -- Pro and anti Ortega groups marched on the streets of Managua on Saturday, July 21, amidst months of unrest that has tested the rule of the leftist government led by President Daniel Ortega.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|