13 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 13 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- Coalition, Iraqi Artillery Support Operation Roundup AFPS 13 Jul 2018 -- South of Sinjar, Iraq, near the Syrian border, Iraqi and coalition troops lived and worked side by side for more than a month as they shelled Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorists in Syria.
- Coalition Partner Captures 11 ISIS Fighters in Southern Syria AFPS 13 Jul 2018 -- The Maghawir al-Thowra, an Operation Inherent Resolve partner force in Syria, detained 11 Islamic State of Iraq and Syria fighters inside the deconfliction zone in southern Syria on July 10.
Defense Policy / Programs
- KC-46 completes flight testing required for October first aircraft delivery AFNS 13 Jul 2018 -- The KC-46 Pegasus program achieved an important milestone July 6, 2018, at Boeing Field, Seattle, with completion of the final flight tests required for first aircraft delivery planned in late October.
- Army Chooses Austin as Site for Futures Command Headquarters AFPS 13 Jul 2018 -- Austin, Texas, will be the location for the headquarters of the new U.S. Army Futures Command, Army Secretary Mark T. Esper announced today at a Pentagon news conference.
- Exercise Sea Breeze 2018 Kicks Off in Ukraine AFPS 13 Jul 2018 -- Austin, Texas, will be the location for the headquarters of the new U.S. Army Futures Command, Army Secretary Mark T. Esper announced today at a Pentagon news conference.
- USS West Virginia Earns Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy NNS 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Fleet Forces Command (USFF) named the gold crew of Ohio-class ballistic submarine USS West Virginia (SSBN 736) as the recipient of the Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy for 2017.
- USS Nebraska Returns from First Strategic Deterrent Patrol Since 2013 NNS 13 Jul 2018 -- The blue crew of Ohio-class ballistic-missile submarine USS Nebraska (SSBN 739) returned to Naval Base Kitsap-Bangor, July 12, following the boat's first strategic deterrent mission since 2013.
- DGSIT Embarks Ronald Reagan Strike Group Units NNS 13 Jul 2018 -- More than 35 members of the Naval Information Forces Deploying Group System Integration Testing (DGSIT) team embarks aboard USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) and additional units of the Ronald Reagan Strike Group July 5-13.
- NAVFAC Marianas Awards $240 Million Design-Build Multiple Award Construction Contract to Five Small Businesses in Guam NNS 13 Jul 2018 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) Marianas awarded a design-build multiple award construction contract (DB MACC) totaling $240 million on July 13 to five Guam-based small businesses.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Croatia Prime Minister Andrej Plenković DoD 13 Jul 2018
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with Croatia President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović DoD 13 Jul 2018
- Media Availability by Secretary Mattis en route to Oslo, Norway DoD 13 Jul 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Opening Comments at U.S.-Adriatic Charter Meeting in Zagreb, Croatia DoD 13 Jul 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Trump claims win after threatening to quit NATO during tumultuous summit People's Daily 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump Thursday claimed he had made victories over burden sharing and defense spending during the summit of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), though reports from inside the NATO headquarters in Brussels suggested chaos and turmoil.
- Israel gives Merkava tank to Jordan as 'gift' Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- As an apparent goodwill gesture, Israel has offered one of its self-prized Merkava tanks as a present to a Jordanian museum.
- Turkey to sell 30 ATAK helicopters to Pakistan in major military export deal Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- Turkey and Pakistan have finalized a deal for the sale of 30 multi-role and all-weather TAI/AgustaWestland T129 ATAK attack helicopters in an agreement that has been billed as one of Ankara's largest single defense industry exports.
- Turkey Agrees To Sell 30 Military Helicopters To Pakistan RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- Turkey has agreed to sell Pakistan 30 Turkish-made attack helicopters in a deal that has been billed as Ankara's largest single defense sale.
- Apache attack helicopters to be commissioned Tuesday: MND CNA 13 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan's Army will hold a ceremony Tuesday to officially commission all its Apache attack helicopters purchased from the United States, after nearly four years of combat evaluation, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Friday.
- DoD News: Contracts for July 13, 2018
- China's C919 project enters intensive flight test phase People's Daily 13 Jul 2018 -- China's C919 large passenger plane project has entered into a new major phase with intensive flight tests in multiple sites around the country, announced its developer the state-owned Commercial Aircraft Corp. of China (COMAC).
- 13 July 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Jul 2018
- Thousands take to streets in Sa'ada, censure bloody Saudi-led war on Yemen Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- Thousands of Yemenis have taken to the streets of the northern city of Sa'ada to denounce the deadly campaign led by the Saudi regime and supported by the United States against the impoverished Arab country.
- 30 killed, scores injured by US-led coalition raids in Syria IRNA 13 Jul 2018 -- At least 30 civilians lost their lives in a new massacre committed by the US-led international coalition on al-Boukamal countryside in Deir Ezzor.
- Syrian Foreign Ministry: Crimes of US-led coalition unjustifiable IRNA 13 Jul 2018 -- Syria confirmed that the illegal international coalition led by Washington cannot justify its treacherous aggression or the arguments it introduced to justify its massacre against the people of al-Baghouz Fawqani and al-Soussah towns in the countryside of al-Boukamal city, which led to the martyrdom of more than 30 civilians and wounding dozens of women and children.
- Iran, Russia to continue to protect Syria: Official Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- Ali Akbar Velayati, a senior adviser to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, says Iran coordinates its military presence in Syria with Moscow and Damascus.
- Fresh airstrikes kill dozens in conflict-ravaged Syria UN News 13 Jul 2018 -- Despite the return of tens of thousands of internally displaced people (IDPs) to Syria following local agreements and changes in territorial control, the United Nations said on Friday that fresh airstrikes have reportedly killed dozens of civilians "in several areas" of the country.
- Iranian Official: Presence in Syria Coordinated With Moscow and Damascus VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- Tehran's position on its military presence in Syria is coordinated with Moscow and Damascus and has no relation to Israel, an Iranian official said Friday.
- Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan UN News 13 Jul 2018 -- The Security Council on Friday narrowly passed a measure aimed at stopping the flow of weapons to armed groups in South Sudan, with those Members in favour saying it would protect civilians, while abstainers voiced concerns that it would undermine the ongoing peace process in the world's youngest country.
- UN Imposes Arms Embargo on South Sudan VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council has adopted a U.S.-drafted resolution to impose an arms embargo on South Sudan until May 2019.
- Villages 'reduced to ash' amid 'barbaric violence' in DR Congo, reports UN refugee agency UN News 13 Jul 2018 -- Humanitarian needs are enormous in Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), where the UN Refugee Agency, UNHCR, has reported accounts of "barbaric violence".
- Security Council downsizes AU-UN mission in Darfur, eying eventual exit UN News 13 Jul 2018 -- The Security Council on Friday extended the mandate of the joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping operation in Sudan's Darfur until the end of June next year, but reduced the number of troops deployed in the field with an eye towards the mission's eventual exit.
- Trump to 'Firmly' Ask Putin About Russia's US Election Meddling VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he would "firmly" ask Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin about his country's meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election that has triggered a U.S. federal investigation Trump claims is a "rigged witch hunt."
- Trump View Of Putin As 'Competitor, Not Enemy' Provokes Ire In Congress RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's assertion that Russia is a "competitor," not an "enemy" has provoked alarm and outrage among some prominent lawmakers in Washington.
- Grand Jury Indicts 12 Russian Intelligence Officers for Hacking Offenses Related to the 2016 Election US Dept. of Justice 13 Jul 2018 -- "The Department of Justice today announced that a grand jury in the District of Columbia returned an indictment presented by the Special Counsel's Office. The indictment charges twelve Russian nationals for committing federal crimes that were intended to interfere with the 2016 U.S. presidential election. All twelve defendants are members of the GRU, a Russian Federation intelligence agency within the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Russian military. These GRU officers, in their official capacities, engaged in a sustained effort to hack into the computer networks of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, the Democratic National Committee, and the presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton, and released that information on the internet under the names "DCLeaks" and "Guccifer 2.0" and through another entity."
- 12 Russian intelligence officers indicted in Mueller investigation Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- US Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller has indicted 12 Russian intelligence officials in connection with the alleged Russian interference in the 2016 election.
- U.S. Charges 12 Russian Intelligence Officers For 2016 U.S. Election Meddling RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- A U.S. grand jury has charged 12 Russian intelligence officers for their roles in hacking into the U.S. Democratic Party and leaking stolen e-mails and other information during the 2016 presidential campaign.
- US Charges 12 Russians With Conspiracy to Interfere in '16 Election VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- A federal grand jury on Friday indicted 12 Russian military intelligence officers with conspiracy to hack into Democrat computers during the 2016 presidential election, the latest charges brought against Russian nationals by the special counsel investigating Moscow's interference.
- Trump, May Discuss Russia, Iran, 'Very Strong' U.S.-U.K. Relationship RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has urged Britain to maintain pressure on Iran and agreed with Prime Minister Theresa May that Tehran must never possess nuclear weapons.
- Argentina Asks Russia To Arrest, Extradite Iran's Velayati On Moscow Visit RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- Argentina's Foreign Ministry says it has asked Russia to arrest and extradite former Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Velayati, citing his alleged role in a 1994 bombing in Buenos Aires that killed 85 people.
- Xi's trip set to bring Asia, Africa closer together People's Daily 13 Jul 2018 -- President Xi Jinping will pay state visits to the United Arab Emirates, Senegal, Rwanda and South Africa from July 19 to 24, and attend the 10th BRICS Summit in Johannesburg from July 25 to 27, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said on Thursday.
- As China's Investment Strategies Shift, African Partners Face Risks VOA 13 Jul 2018 -- When the China-financed Nairobi-Mombasa Railway opened in May 2017, it became Kenya's largest infrastructure project and a high-profile achievement for President Uhuru Kenyatta ahead of his successful bid for re-election.
- Iraqi PM Abadi visits Basra after deadly protests Press TV 13 Jul 2018 -- Iraq's Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has visited the southern oil city of Basra after deadly protests there against dire economic conditions.
- Greek Court Approves French Request To Extradite Russian Cybercrime Suspect RFE/RL 13 Jul 2018 -- A Greek court has approved a French request to extradite a Russian cybercrime suspect who is also wanted in the United States and Russia, in a move which prompted Moscow to threaten reprisals.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|