09 July 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 09 Jul 2018 [PDF]
- Coalition Strikes Continue Against ISIS Targets in Syria, Iraq AFPS 09 Jul 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners have accelerated offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Syria and Iraq, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials reported today.
- Pompeo Pledges Support for Afghan-Led Peace During Surprise Kabul Visit VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday pledged support for Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani's efforts to open talks with the Taliban and reiterated Washington's readiness to facilitate the Afghan-led peace process.
- Pompeo in Kabul on surprise Afghanistan visit Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in Afghanistan on a surprise visit to hold talks with the country's officials following a last month's brief truce between Kabul and the Taliban.
- U.S.-Backed Afghan Forces Move To Clear Nangarhar Of Militants RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S.-backed Afghan special forces have conducted what could be a final operation to clear Islamic State (IS) fighters and other insurgents from a remote district in the eastern Nangarhar Province, officials say.
- Top U.S. Diplomat, In Unannounced Visit To Kabul, Urges Peace Talks With Taliban RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on Taliban fighters to hold peace talks with the Afghan government, as he made an unannounced visit to the Afghan capital.
- Press Availability With Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani US Dept. of State 09 Jul 2018 -- Press Availability by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
Defense Policy / Programs
- Headquarters merger streamlines logistics, resources for nuclear enterprise system management AFNS 09 Jul 2018 -- In an effort to increase synergy and coordination in support of the Air Force's nuclear modernization efforts, two Air Force Materiel Command directorates merged to form a single Logistics, Civil Engineering, Force Protection and Nuclear Integration Directorate. The organizational change took effect June 25, 2018.
- Hurricane Hunters fly Tropical Storms Beryl, Chris AFNS 09 Jul 2018 -- The Air Force Reserve's Hurricane Hunters spent the weekend flying weather reconnaissance missions into Tropical Storm Chris off the North Carolina coastline and Tropical Storm Beryl in the Caribbean Sea to gather data for the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
- U.S., Philippines Strengthen Alliance With Maritime Training Activity Sama Sama AFPS 09 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. and Philippine navies kicked off maritime training activity Sama Sama at Naval Station Ernesto Ogbinar here today.
- Coast Guard, Canadian EOD Specialists Train to Mitigate Maritime Threats AFPS 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. Coast Guard deployable specialized forces and Royal Canadian Navy explosive ordnance disposal technicians trained for maritime interdiction operations during the opening events of the force integration training phase of Rim of the Pacific Southern California.
- Milestone MQ-8C Fire Scout Initial Operational Test and Evaluation Complete NNS 09 Jul 2018 -- USS Coronado (LCS 4) and Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 1 (VX-1) completed the first comprehensive Initial Operational Test and Evaluation (IOT&E) for the MQ-8C Fire Scout, June 29.
- US, Philippines Strengthen Alliance with Maritime Training Activity 2018 NNS 09 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. and Philippines Navies kicked off Maritime Training Activity (MTA) Sama Sama at Naval Station Ernesto Ogbinar in San Fernando City, Philippines, July 9.
- US, Lebanon Armed Forces Complete Resolute Response 18 NNS 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. and Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) participated in exercise Resolute Response (RR) 18 at Jounieh Naval Base, Lebanon, June 25-July 6.
- Amid tensions with China, US confirms destroyers sailed through Taiwan Strait Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- While Taiwan had said a pair of US destroyers had passed through the Taiwan Strait, a US Navy official has confirmed the USS Mustin and the USS Benfold have passed through the strait, the first such incident since July 2017.
- Trump Criticizes NATO Members Ahead Of Key Summit RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump repeated criticism of NATO allies and their defense spending, days before he attends a crucial summit of heads of state from the North Atlantic alliance.
- Trump Criticizes NATO Members Days Before Summit VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has again criticized NATO member nations just days ahead of an alliance summit he will attend this week in Belgium.
- Source Reveals Tech Details of New Russian Anti-Satellite Warfare Plane Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- Russia is developing a new electronic warfare aircraft, which will be capable to turn off the electronics installed on military satellites, a source from the Russian defense industry told Sputnik.
- Army mulls spending US$990 million on M1A2 tanks CNA 09 Jul 2018 -- Taiwan's military is planning a budget of NT$30 billion (US$990 million) for the purchase of 108 M1A2 tanks from the U.S. to replace its aging battle tanks, a military source told CNA Monday.
- Memory unit of crashed F-16 found, to be sent to U.S. CNA 09 Jul 2018 -- Searchers have found the crash survivable memory unit (CSMU) from the flight data recorder of an F-16 jet fighter that crashed last month in New Taipei, which could help solve the mystery behind the crash that led to the death of the plane's pilot.
- UK military to counter 'Russia threat' in North Atlantic Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The UK military is planning to expand its presence in the North Atlantic in an attempt to curb what the Royal Navy's commander says is a growing threat from Russia.
- UK Forbids Chinese Firm From Purchasing British Arms Manufacturer Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- The ruling was made amid growing concerns of sensitive information and trade secrets falling into the hands of the Chinese government.
- UK Navy Unveils Plan to Beef Up Presence in N Atlantic Ahead of NATO Summit Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- The Royal Navy is following the example of Washington, which reactivated its Second Feet two months ago in a bid to counter what they consider to be Russia's resurgence.
- British prosperity relies on defence according to independent review UK MOD 09 Jul 2018 -- Former Defence Minister Philip Dunne has today released a wide-ranging report which highlights the integral role of defence to British prosperity.
- 9 July 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 09 Jul 2018
- Security Council urges countries to factor child protection into conflict prevention efforts UN News 09 Jul 2018 -- Countries have been urged to mainstream child protection into the policies they introduce aimed at preventing conflict, in line with a Security Council resolution adopted on Monday.
- 'Wind blowing in the direction of peace' in Africa: UN Secretary-General UN News 09 Jul 2018 -- Recent developments in Africa indicate that the continent is increasingly moving in the "direction of peace" and enhanced security, the United Nations Secretary-General told journalists in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on Monday.
- Pompeo, Vietnam Leaders Express Concern About Militarization of S China Sea Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met in Hanoi with Vietnamese Communist Party General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh and discussed the militarization in the South China Sea, the US Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a statement.
- US, Vietnam to Cooperate on Freedom of Navigation in Disputed South China Sea VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- The U.S. top diplomat reaffirmed America's commitment to a "free and open Indo-Pacific" region during his first trip to Vietnam, saying Washington and Hanoi will work together to uphold freedom of navigation and overflight in the South China Sea.
- Yemeni drones hit Saudi communications systems Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Yemeni drones have hit communications systems belonging to Saudi-led forces which have been attacking the country's key port of Hudaydah, al-Masirah television network has reported.
- Army destroys al-Nusra dens in surroundings of Quneitra city IRNA 09 Jul 2018 -- A Syrian army unit on Monday carried out precise strikes against fortified positions and infiltration points of Jabhat al-Nusra terrorists in Quneitra southwestern countryside and in the surroundings of Quneitra city, inflicting heavy losses upon them.
- Syria air defense intercepts Israeli missiles on T-4 airport IRNA 09 Jul 2018 -- The Syrian army air defense on Sunday evening confronted an Israeli aggression on T-4 Airport in Homs countryside.
- Armed groups in Busra al-Sham hand over more weapons to army IRNA 09 Jul 2018 -- Armed groups positioned in Busra al-Sham city continued to hand over their heavy weapons to the Syrian Arab Army. The received weapons included two tanks, SANA reported.
- Rebuilding Syria after foreign-backed war remains 'top priority,' Assad says Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad says his top priority is the reconstruction of his country, which has been gripped by foreign-backed militancy since March 2011.
- Israel to give harsh response to Syria if deploys troops in border zone: Tel Aviv Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The Israeli military has threatened to give a "harsh response" to any attempt made by the Syrian government troops and their allied fighters, who are continuously advancing towards militant-held areas in Southern Syria, to deploy in occupied Golan Heights frontier zone which is subjected to a decades-old UN-monitored armistice between the neighboring foes.
- Assad Vows to Free All of Syria, No Matter Whose Control Territories are Under Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- The Syrian president held a meeting at the Foreign Affairs Ministry on Monday discussing the internal, regional and international political situation and Syria's foreign and domestic policy objectives.
- Three Iraqi PMU fighters killed, five injured during clashes with Daesh in restive north Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group have killed three pro-government Iraqi forces and wounded several others near the country's biggest oil refinery in the restive north.
- Turkish troops, jets kill 25 Kurdish PKK militants in one week Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Turkish ground forces and military aircraft have killed more than two dozen members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group when they carried out a string of counter-terrorism operations in the country's southeastern province near the border with Iraq's northern semi-autonomous Kurdistan region in the past week.
- UN voices doubts over Rohingyas return to Myanmar Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The UN has voiced its doubts about the Rohingyas' return to Myanmar over the continued systematic violence targeting the Muslim minority.
- Ethiopia, Eritrea to reopen embassies, borders after two decades of hostility Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Ethiopia and Eritrea have agreed to resume their diplomatic and commercial relations, signaling an end to almost two decades of hostility.
- Ethiopia, Eritrea Agree to End Decades-Long War - Eritrean Information Minister Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- Eritrean President Isaias Afewerki and Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed have signed a declaration agreeing to end a decades-long conflict and resume cooperation in various fields, Eritrean Minister of Information Yemane G. Meskel said Monday.
- South Sudan's 7th Anniversary Overshadowed by Rejected Peace Plan VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- The seventh anniversary of South Sudan's independence Monday was overshadowed by the latest setback in peace talks to end the country's civil war.
- South Sudan rebels reject peace deal reinstating opposition leader Machar Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Rebels in Africa's youngest nation, South Sudan, have rejected a peace agreement announced on Sunday, saying it lacks enough authority to fulfill their main demands for diluting President Salva Kiir's base of power.
- U.S. GOP Senator Blasts Putin, Russia's 'Mafia' Government RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- A U.S. senator who traveled to Russia with a Republican congressional delegation last week said President Vladimir Putin could not be trusted and likened dealing with Moscow to "dealing with the mafia."
- Claim of Russia's involvement in second case of poisoning in UK is 'absurd': Moscow Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Russia has strongly rejected the idea that Moscow could have been behind a poisoning incident in which, according to the UK authorities, a woman has so far lost her life after coming into contact with a highly lethal nerve agent in southern England that is reportedly the same chemical substance that put a former Russian double spy and her daughter in the hospital in the same region some four months ago.
- British Defense Chief Says Russian 'Attack' Led To Woman's Death RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- Britain's defense chief has said that a Russian "attack" led to the death of a mother of three who was exposed to the same nerve agent that put former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter in the hospital, while the Kremlin said it would be "absurd" to blame Moscow.
- UK Defense Secretary Blames Russia for Death of Woman in Amesbury Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- Though earlier in the day UK counter-terrorism officer Neil Basu was unable to confirm that a toxic substance allegedly used for the poisoning of Dawn Sturgess was similar to those claimed to be used for the attack on Skripals, the UK Defense Secretary blamed the incident on Russia.
- Trump Confident N. Korea Will Honor 'Contract' to Denuclearize VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has "confidence" North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will "honor the contract we signed" for Pyongyang to denuclearize and alleged that China may be exerting negative pressure on the deal "because of our posture on Chinese trade."
- DPRK, U.S. need process of narrowing difference in initial denuke talks: S. Korean minister People's Daily 09 Jul 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States would need the process of narrowing difference in initial negotiations for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, South Korea's unification minister said Monday.
- DPRK regrets U.S. "gangster-like" attitude at high-level talks People's Daily 09 Jul 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) lashed out at the U.S. "gangster-like" attitude when demanding denuclearization at the high-level talks between the two countries on Friday and Saturday, saying it was "no doubt regrettable."
- Lindsey Graham blames China for North Korea's rebuke Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- US Senator Lindsey Graham says China may have pressured North Korea to take a harder line against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during the latest round of denuclearization talks in Pyongyang.
- Trump Express Confidence Kim Will Honor Contract Signed in Singapore Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said in a statement on Monday that he is confident North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will honor both the contract they signed and their handshake at last month's summit in Singapore when it comes to denuclearization.
- Defector Claims DPRK Sought $1Bln From Israel to Stop Iran, Syria Missile Deals Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- A former North Korean diplomat and interpreter has alleged that North Korea's ambassador to Sweden made Tel Aviv the offer in 1999.
- New Term, Sweeping New Powers For Erdogan As He Takes Oath Of Office RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been sworn in to a new term, assuming sweeping new powers condemned by opponents as a recipe for one-man rule and promising a "new era" for the country of 80 million people.
- Turkish President Assumes News Sweeping Powers VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has assumed sweeping new powers as the country transitions to an executive presidency.
- Erdogan sworn in under new system with sweeping presidential powers Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has been sworn in for a new term that would see him enjoy sweeping powers, which his opponents say will be used to consolidate his control over the country.
- British PM May appoints Jeremy Hunt new foreign minister Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May has appointed Jeremy Hunt as foreign minister after Boris Johnson resigned in protest at the government's plans for a close trading relationship with the European Union after Brexit next year.
- Johnson warns Britain will end up like colony to the EU after Brexit Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Boris Johnson has warned that the United Kingdom will end up like a colony to the European Union following Brexit next year, shortly after resigning as Britain's foreign minister.
- Boris Johnson resigns in protest to May's Brexit plan Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Boris Johnson has resigned as British foreign secretary, becoming the third minister in 24 hours to quit the government rather than back Prime Minister Theresa May's strategy for Brexit.
- U.K. Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson Resigns, In Latest Turmoil For May Government RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson has resigned, amid deepening turmoil in Prime Minister Theresa May's government.
- May Names New Foreign Secretary Amid Brexit Disagreements VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- British Prime Minister Theresa May appointed longtime supporter Jeremy Hunt as foreign minister after Boris Johnson resigned from the post Monday amid disagreement in the Cabinet over the nation's pending exit from the European Union.
- China urges US to avoid provocative actions in Taiwan Strait Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- China has urged the US to refrain from actions that threaten peace and stability after two American warships sailed through waters near the self-ruled island claimed by Beijing.
- China Urges US to Refrain From Actions Undermining Peace in Taiwan Strait Sputnik 09 Jul 2018 -- Beijing urged Washington to avoid actions that could undermine stability in the Taiwan Strait and to respect China's territorial integrity, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday.e
- Pakistan launches two sensing satellites IRNA 09 Jul 2018 -- Pakistan has launched two remote sensing satellites using a Chinese launch vehicle, Radio Pakistan reported.
- China Launches 2 Satellites for Pakistan VOA 09 Jul 2018 -- China has launched two satellites for Pakistan to survey resources and monitor natural disasters for agriculture research, as well as the progress of infrastructure-related projects being built with billions of dollars of unprecedented Chinese investment.
- Counter rulings on Lula's release from jail spark protests in Brazil Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- The chief justice of a Brazilian appeals court has overruled a verdict by a fellow judge that urged the release of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
- Catalonia not 'giving up' on independence: Catalan leader Press TV 09 Jul 2018 -- Catalan leader Quim Torra says the Spanish region has no intention to give up on independence, stressing that Catalonia's right to self-rule must be respected for any political solution to take place in the future.
- Romania's President Fires Chief Anticorruption Prosecutor RFE/RL 09 Jul 2018 -- Romanian President Klaus Iohannis has signed a decree removing the chief anticorruption prosecutor from her post following a Constitutional Court ruling.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|