30 June 2018 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Ghani declares end to truce with Taliban, renews call for peace Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Afghanistan's President Ashraf Ghani has formally announced an end to the government's unilateral ceasefire with Taliban insurgents, but urged the militant group to accept comprehensive peace talks.
- Afghan President Announces End Of Cease-Fire With Taliban RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- Afghan forces were ordered to resume operations against Taliban fighters after President Ashraf Ghani announced an official end to the government's unilateral cease-fire.
- Afghan President Ends Cease-fire with Taliban VOA 30 Jun 2018 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani allowed national security forces Saturday to resume counterinsurgency operations, marking the end of an 18-day cease-fire with the Taliban.
- Pakistan Grants New Extension Before Forced Return Of Afghan Refugees RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- The Pakistani government says it has granted another extension to a deadline for the forced repatriation of some 2 million Afghan refugees.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S.-Japan Alliance 'Cornerstone' to Indo-Pacific Stability, Mattis Says AFPS 30 Jun 2018 -- The United States and Japan are strong allies firmly committed to peace and security in the Indo-Pacific region, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis said yesterday in Tokyo.
- US Mulls Pulling Troops From Germany as Trump-Merkel Tensions Mount - Reports Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- The US Defense Department is conducting a study on what the consequences would be of a major withdrawal of US military forces from Germany, media reported.
- US mulls withdrawing troops from Germany Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- The United States is reportedly examining options for a large-scale withdrawal or transportation of its forces stationed in Germany.
- Russian Military to Ink Contract for First Batch of Su-57 Fighters Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- Russia is learning to be more independent and self-reliant as a result of Western sanctions, though it still has extensive trade ties with Western Europe, Russia's foreign minister has said.
- New pension systems come into force Sunday CNA 30 Jun 2018 -- New pension systems set to impact an estimated 333,000 retired public servants, teachers and military veterans, come into force on Sunday.
- AIT declines to confirm report on posting of U.S. Marines CNA 30 Jun 2018 -- The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) on Saturday would not confirm a report that the U.S. State Department has requested that U.S. Marines be posted at the AIT's new complex in Taipei's Neihu District.
- Yemeni army fires ballistic missile against Saudi-led forces in Hudaydah province Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni army forces, supported by allied fighters from the Houthi Ansarullah movement, have fired a domestically designed and developed ballistic missile at a gathering of the Saudi-led coalition's mercenaries in Yemen's flashpoint province of Hudaydah.
- UN chief 'deeply alarmed' over military offensive in south-west Syria UN News 30 Jun 2018 -- Expressing "deep alarm" over increased hostilities in southwestern Syria and its "devastating" toll on civilians, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres called for an immediate cessation of the military operations.
- Syrian govt. to decide on Russia's military presence after war: Diplomat Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- A senior Russian diplomat says his country's military presence in Syria after the war is over will be contingent upon Damascus' decision.
- Lavrov rules out Russian pullout from Syria Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says the West's interventions in the Middle East and North Africa benefit Takfiri terrorist groups operating in the region.
- Syrian army advances against terrorists in Dara'a; Israel raises alert in Golan Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- The Syrian army has managed to wrest control over several towns and villages in the strategic southern Dara'a Province, leading Israel to raise its alert level in the bordering Golan Heights.
- Lavrov warns Russia might withdraw from OPCW Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Russia has warned that it could withdraw from the global chemical weapons watchdog after member states voted to allow the group to assign responsibility for chemical weapon use.
- Turkish jets kill 4 PKK militants in northern Iraq: Military Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Turkey's military says it has conducted airstrikes against the positions of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group in northern Iraq, killing at least four members of the "terrorist" outfit.
- Four Kiev troopers killed in hostilities in Eastern Ukraine Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Ukraine say four of its soldiers have been killed in heavy clashes with pro-Russia forces in the country's volatile eastern region over the past 24 hours.
- Arab states warned US against revealing 'peace' plan: Report Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Arab countries have reportedly warned the US against revealing its so-called Mideast peace plan, saying disclosing a plan that doesn't meet Palestinian expectations could agitate the region.
- Arab States Reportedly Warn US Not to Unveil Mideast Peace Plan Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- The Trump administration has been seeking to implement its Mideast peace plan despite the Palestinian Authority president's rejection of Washington's mediation role in the conflict with Israel after the US moved its embassy to the Jerusalem.
- UN launches support plan to promote peace, inclusive growth in Africa's Sahel UN News 30 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations launched, on Saturday, a major plan to support countries in Africa's Sahel region promote sustainable peace and inclusive growth, as well as empower women and youth.
- South Sudanese Cease-fire Violated Hours After It Began VOA 30 Jun 2018 -- The cease-fire agreement signed by South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and rebels was violated Saturday just hours after it began, with both sides accusing the other of initiating attacks in the east-central African nation.
- U.S. Ambassador To Estonia Announces Exit With Criticism Of Trump's EU Comments RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. ambassador to Estonia has announced his retirement with a sharp critique of President Donald Trump's comments about the European Union and NATO.
- Russia Becoming More Self-Reliant Because Of Western Sanctions: Lavrov RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- Russia is learning to be more independent and self-reliant as a result of Western sanctions, though it still has extensive trade ties with Western Europe, Russia's foreign minister has said.
- N Korea boosting weapon-grade uranium enrichment at secret sites: US report Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- US intelligence sources claim North Korea has recently boosted its uranium enrichment at secret sites despite President Donald Trump's insistence that Pyongyang was "no longer a nuclear threat," a news report said.
- CIA Claims North Korea Boosted Nuclear Production at Secret Sites – Reports Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- US intelligence believes North Korea has been producing more nuclear fuel at undisclosed facilities in recent months despite its pledge to scrap nukes, US media reported.
- Trump Allies Tell Paris Rally 'End Of Regime' Near In Iran RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- Close allies of U.S. President Donald Trump have told a "Free Iran" rally in Paris that the end of the Iranian regime is near and that sanctions against the country will be "greater, greater, and greater."
- Iran Still Awaits for EU Proposals on Preserving Nuclear Deal - Tehran Sputnik 20 Jun 2018 -- Tehran has not received yet a package of proposals from the European Union designed to keep the 2015 Iran nuclear deal in force after the US withdrawal, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said Saturday in a statement.
- EU yet to deliver package of proposals to save JCPOA: Iran Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Iran has dismissed media reports about having received a package of proposals from the European Union to save a multilateral nuclear agreement between Tehran and the P5+1 group of countries from which the US has withdrawn, saying the Europeans are holding their final discussions in this regard.
- US desperately seeks to divide Iranians: Ayatollah Khamenei Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei says the US is exerting economic pressure on Iran in a bid to turn the people against the government but such efforts are futile.
- FATF extends Iran sanctions waiver but sets deadline Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- The world's financial watchdog has extended a waiver for punitive measures against Iran but set a deadline of October for the country to adopt financial reforms or face consequences.
- Iraq to begin manual recount of votes on Tuesday Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi authorities have announced that they will begin the manual recount of ballots in recent general elections on July 3.
- Custodian of Two Holy Mosques receives phone call from US President SPA 30 Jun 2018 -- Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud received today a telephone call from President Donald Trump of the United States of America.
- Trump: Saudi King Agreed to Increase Oil Production Amid High Prices Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- Donald Trump said on Saturday that he spoke to the Saudi king about the need to increase Saudi Arabia's oil production to two million barrels due to an unstable situation in Iran and Venezuela, stressing that King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud agreed with the proposal.
- Trump says Riyadh to raise oil output by 2m bpd Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman has agreed to his request to increase the kingdom's oil output in what is already seen as part of Washington's aggressive agenda against Iran.
- Trump Says Saudi King Agrees To Boost Oil Production RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says Saudi Arabia's King Salman has told him Riyadh will ramp up oil production in response to turmoil in Iran and Venezuela.
- Armenia's Anticorruption Wave Swells RFE/RL 30 Jun 2018 -- Palatial homes, luxury cars, expensive watches. All would seem beyond the means of a public servant, especially in Armenia, one of the poorest countries in the Caucasus.
- African Banks Consider Chinese Yuan, But Risks Loom VOA 30 Jun 2018 -- More than a dozen African countries have been weighing the merits of adding the Chinese yuan to their mix of foreign reserves, discussing the idea at a gathering of officials last month in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- UN Investigator Calls for End to Eritrea's Indefinite National Service VOA 30 Jun 2018 -- A UN Investigator finds a persistent pattern of human rights violations in Eritrea severely restricts the fundamental freedoms of its citizens through punishments that often have fatal consequences. Sheila Keetharuth has presented her final report as Special Rapporteur on the human rights situation in Eritrea to the UN Human Rights Council.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|