22 June 2018 Military News
- US Sets Up New Military Base Near Manbij – Syrian Commander Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- The presence of US troops in Syria is escalating tensions between government forces and the Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
- Taliban Militants Kill 4, Abduct 33 People After Ceasefire Ends - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- Taliban militants attacked a road construction company's employees in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar, killing four and abducting 20 security guards as well as 13 engineers after the group's temporary ceasefire for the Eid al-Fitr holiday expired, the 1TV broadcaster reported on Friday.
- Taliban kill 16 police, 2 civilians in western Afghanistan Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Taliban militants in Afghanistan have killed at least 16 police officers and two civilians in the western province of Badghis, officials announced.
- Insurgents Kill 20 Afghan Forces, Abduct 33 Construction Workers VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan said Friday insurgents in separate attacks have kidnapped 33 employees of a construction company and killed at least 20 government security forces.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Could Build Detention Centers for Illegal Migrants at Military Bases VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- The Navy is prepared to construct massive detention centers on military bases for tens of thousands of immigrants caught illegally crossing the southern U.S. border, should the Department of Homeland Security request help, a U.S. official told VOA.
- Press Statement on Military Exercises on the Korean Peninsula DoD 22 Jun 2018 -- To support implementing the outcomes of the Singapore Summit, and in coordination with our Republic of Korea ally, Secretary Mattis has indefinitely suspended select exercises.
- Holloman aircraft crash AFNS 22 Jun 2018 -- An A-29 Super Tucano crashed over the Red Rio Bombing Range at approximately 11:30 a.m. MDT today during a training flight as part of the Air Force's Light Attack Experiment.
- Lasers Harass US Military Pilots in East China Sea Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- Ocean-borne lasers have targeted US military pilots flying over the Pacific Ocean nearly two dozen times in recent months, according to a new report, drawing parallels to the Pentagon's allegation earlier this year that Chinese military lasers were aimed at US pilots near Djibouti.
- U.S. Remains Engaged in Indo-Pacific Region, Officials Say AFPS 22 Jun 2018 -- The United States has deep interests in the Indo-Pacific and will remain engaged in the region, U.S. officials said at the Center for a New American Security conference here yesterday.
- Third Atlantic Resolve Aviation Brigade Arrives in Europe AFPS 22 Jun 2018 -- Equipment belonging to the 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, 4th Infantry Division began arriving here, June 20, marking the third heel-to-toe Atlantic Resolve aviation rotation.
- Long range, short term Army News 22 Jun 2018 -- PEO Ammunition, ARDEC and the Army Rapid Capabilities Office come together with near-term plans for improving long-range precision fires.
- Illinois National Guard lead Texas National Guard in Civil Operations Program training Army News 22 Jun 2018 -- Texas National Guard Counterdrug Criminal Analysts participated in a three-day in-depth overview of civil operations, led by Illinois National Guard Counterdrug Civil Operators, at Camp Mabry, June 12-14, 2018.
- Reaper Drones to Surveil Afghanistan Under New Pentagon $39 Million Contract Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- General Atomics, A US defense contracting company, was awarded a $39.6 million contract from the US military to operate their MQ-9 Reaper drones in Afghanistan, the US Navy announced Tuesday.
- Secretary General discusses NATO Summit with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel NATO 22 Jun 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel on Friday (22 June 2018) at the new NATO Headquarters to prepare for the Summit of Allied leaders next month.
- Meeting of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS in Morocco US Dept. of State 22 Jun 2018 -- Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS Brett McGurk will lead an interagency delegation to Rabat, Morocco for a political directors' level meeting on June 26, with key members of the Defeat ISIS Coalition.
- France, Germany Set to Cooperate on Next-Generation 'Superfighter' Jet Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- France and Germany solidified a future partnership in defense strategy Tuesday to jointly build a fighter aircraft to replace Germany's Eurofighters and France's Rafale aircraft.
- Chinese warships sail southward off Taiwan's east coast CNA 22 Jun 2018 -- Two Chinese warships -- a destroyer and a frigate -- sailed southward off Taiwan's east coast earlier Friday, presumably as part of a long-distance training mission, Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) said.
- US gives Turkey first F-35 despite opposition at home Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- The United States has delivered the first of the six F-35 warplanes it has contracted to give to Turkey, despite domestic opposition over Ankara's decision to buy the Russian S-400 anti-aircraft missile system.
- U.S. Senators Move Again To Block F-35 Sales To Turkey Over Russia Deal RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- U.S. senators have moved for a second time to block delivery of F-35 stealth fighter jets to Turkey unless it abandons an arms deal with Russia, even as the plane's manufacturer announced the roll-out of the first aircraft purchased by Ankara.
- 'Ill-Advised Policy': Turkish President Slams US Move to Block F-35 Sale Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- Despite intense pressure from Washington and the US Senate's decision to suspend the sale of the F-35 fighter jets, Turkey remains all set to buy S-400 air defense systems from Russia.
- US Fears Russia May Get Access to F-35 Tech Via Turkey - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- Despite Congressional efforts to block the delivery of F-35 combat aircraft to Ankara, the first two of the advanced US fighters have been handed over to Turkish military representatives.
- Turkey takes delivery of first two F-35 fighter jets in US TRT World 22 Jun 2018 -- First two F-35 fighter jet delivered to Turkey during a ceremony in Forth Worth, Texas. Ankara plans to get 100 F-35 fighter jets in coming years, and as part of this deal 30 aircraft were ordered.
- 22 June 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 Jun 2018
- Army soldiers, allies kill Saudi troopers, mercenaries in western Yemen: Report Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni army soldiers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, have launched a major operation against Saudi troops and pro-Saudi militiamen loyal to resigned Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi in the country's western coastal province of Hudaydah, killing and injuring tens of them in the process.
- Yemen's Houthis Indicate Willingness to Hand Over Hodeida to UN VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- Sources close to U.N. Yemen envoy Martin Griffiths say the Houthi rebel group that controls chunks of the country, including the capital Sanaa, may be willing to hand over control of the Red Sea port of Hodeida to a U.N. team to administer.
- UN chief calls for 'immediate end' to escalation of fighting in southwestern Syria, as thousands are displaced UN News 22 Jun 2018 -- The UN Secretary-General on Friday expressed his grave concern for thousands of civilians caught up in an escalation of fighting across southwestern Syria, close to the border with Jordan.
- Syrian government forces besiege US base in al-Tanf Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Syrian government forces have reportedly encircled a US military base at the al-Tanf border crossing with Jordan, after recapturing large parts of the Badyia region from Daesh.
- Russia Slams U.S. Ahead Of UN Report On Syria Chemical Attacks RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- Moscow has charged that the United States and its allies fabricated evidence to implicate Syrian government forces in chemical-weapons attacks against civilians.
- No Deal Between Kiir, Machar in Addis Ababa VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- Peace talks between South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar ended without an agreement in Addis Ababa, but they may meet again, possibly as early as next week in Khartoum.
- Rebel leader Machar not to join government, S Sudan minister says Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- South Sudan says rebel leader Riek Machar cannot rejoin its government after five years of civil war in remarks condemned by his rebel group as "intended to derail the peace process."
- U.S. Lawmakers Urge Sanctions Probe For Russian Billionaire Yevtushenkov RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- Two U.S. lawmakers have urged U.S. President Donald Trump's administration to consider hitting Russian billionaire Vladimir Yevtushenkov with sanctions and examine whether he has engaged in corruption.
- S.Korea, DPRK begin Red Cross talks to discuss reunion of separated families People's Daily 22 Jun 2018 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) launched Red Cross talks Friday to discuss humanitarian issues, including reunion of Korean families separated across the inter-Korean border, Seoul's unification ministry said.
- North and South Korea agree to reunite war-split families Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- North and South Korea have agreed to hold reunions of some of the families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War in August, the first since 2015.
- Putin, Moon Back 'Denuclearization' Of Korean Peninsula, Hail Economic Links RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- The leaders of Russia and South Korea have agreed to back efforts to bring about the "complete denuclearization" of the Korean Peninsula and said recent dialogue between the United States and North Korea would help ease tensions.
- Seoul, Pyongyang Kick Off Talks on Humanitarian Issues - Reports Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- North Korean officials met Friday with South Korea's Red Cross delegates north of the border to discuss humanitarian issues, media said.
- Analysts: Don't Rush North Korea Denuclearization VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. insistence on the complete denuclearization of North Korea could work against America's interests as political pressure mounts to make rapid progress, analysts say.
- Presidential Message to the Congress of the United States The White House 22 Jun 2018
- Notice Regarding the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to North Korea The White House 22 Jun 2018
- Iran deputy FM: Sanctions, JCPOA not to go together IRNA 21 Jun 2018 -- Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Thursday that sanctions and JCPOA – Iran nuclear deal – cannot go together.
- 'Dreadful' future awaits world if nuclear deal collapses: Iran's Salehi Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Iran's nuclear chief says the Middle East and the entire world will face a "dreadful" future if a 2015 multilateral nuclear agreement Tehran signed with the P5+1 group of countries falls apart.
- Nuclear deal in 'intensive care unit: Iranian official Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Iran has warned of pulling out of the 2015 nuclear deal in the coming weeks, saying the landmark multinational agreement is now in the "intensive care unit."
- China says US threats forcing retaliation People's Daily 22 Jun 2018 -- The United States' capricious way of policymaking and swinging "big sticks" at negotiations will do no good in solving problems, and China has to take strong countermeasures, the Ministry of Commerce said on Thursday.
- China says Trump's trade war to hurt US workers Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- China escalated its war of words with the US over trade tariffs with the country's commerce ministry warning that the interests of US workers and farmers would be hurt by what it described as Washington's desire to brandish "big sticks."
- US says 25th diplomat hit by 'sonic attack' in Cuba Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- The United States says another diplomat in Cuba has fallen ill with symptoms of a mysterious sickness which intelligence officials in Washington say is caused by a sonic attack.
- Indonesia Issues Death Penalty to Cleric for IS Ties VOA 22 Jun 2018 -- A court in the capital Jakarta on Friday sentenced an Indonesian Islamist leader to death for inciting terrorist attacks in support of the Islamic State (IS).
- Detect and Destroy: NASA's New Effort to Keep Earth Safe From Asteroids Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- If the US is going to have a "Space Force," it might as well do something useful, right? NASA, the US government's first space agency, certainly thinks so; that's why it's helping coordinate a improved asteroid detection, tracking and deflection system, in case a life-destroying stellar object is careening our way.
- President Tsai vows continued cooperation with U.S. CNA 22 Jun 2018 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) vowed Friday to continue working with the United States to contribute to peace and prosperity in the region amid the growing threat posed by China.
- U.S. voices concern over attempts to change cross-strait status quo CNA 22 Jun 2018 -- A U.S. official expressed concern Thursday over attempts by China to change the status quo across the Taiwan Strait, as seen in Beijing's escalating efforts to suppress Taiwan internationally.
- Airbus threatens to leave UK if Brexit happens without deal Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- Aviation giant Airbus has threatened that it could leave the United Kingdom if the country exits the European Union (EU) without a transition agreement.
- Flare-Up Between Kosovo And Serbia After Liberian Gaffe RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- When Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia a decade ago, the tenderfoot government in Pristina began a staunch duel with Belgrade to be recognized by the world.
- OPEC Members Agree To Modest Increase In Oil Output To Ease Prices RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- OPEC countries have agreed to a deal that would effectively increase their combined output by a modest 1 million barrels a day, although it was not immediatetely clear what the effect on prices would be or if the agreement could be carried out in full by some countries.
- Moldovan Court Upholds Voiding Of Chisinau Mayoral Election Amid Protests RFE/RL 22 Jun 2018 -- A Moldovan appeals court has upheld a lower-court ruling invalidating the results of Chisinau's mayoral election, citing violations by both candidates of the country's campaign law.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|