11 June 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 11 Jun 2018 [PDF]
- Operation Roundup Targets ISIS Remnants in Iraq, Syria AFPS 11 Jun 2018 -- Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve and its partners have increased offensive activity against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria targets in designated parts of Iraq and Syria throughout the month of May.
- Truman Strike Group Returns to Eastern Mediterranean to Support OIR NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- The Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) returned to the Eastern Mediterranean Sea to resume flight operations in support of Operation Inherent Resolve (OIR), June 10.
- Truman Carrier Group Renews Attacks on Daesh From E Mediterranean - US Navy Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- The Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier strike group has returned to the Eastern Mediterranean to continue operations against Daesh, the US Navy said on Monday.
- Attacks Across Afghanistan Kill Dozens RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- A suicide attack in Kabul, a roadside bomb in eastern Ghazni Province, and coordinated attacks in Nangarhar and Kunduz provinces killed at least 33 people on June 11, Afghan officials say.
- New Details Emerge in Attack That Killed US Soldier in Somalia VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- New details have emerged about an attack by al-Shabab militants that killed one U.S. soldier and injured four others in southern Somalia last week.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Gaggle by Secretary Mattis DoD 11 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- Mattis: 'I Don't Believe' US Troop Reduction is on Table at Singapore Summit VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis said he does not believe a reduction of U.S. troop numbers on the Korean Peninsula will be up for discussion when President Donald Trump and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un meet Tuesday in Singapore.
- Coast Guard Participates in Caribbean Disaster Response Exercise AFPS 11 Jun 2018 -- U.S. service members and more than 20 Caribbean partner nations' governments, industrial and civic organizations are taking part in Exercise Tradewinds 2018 here.
- South Dakota engineers cross the Missouri river in support of Golden Coyote Army News 11 Jun 2018 -- Soldiers of the South Dakota Army National Guard's 200th Engineer Company started annual training with a river crossing on the Missouri River in support of the Golden Coyote training exercise, June 9, 2018.
- Kentucky Army National Guard trains in Lithuania Army News 11 Jun 2018 -- Known as "Morgan's Men," the Soldiers in the Kentucky Army National Guard's 1st Battalion, 623rd Field Artillery Regiment can trace their unit's lineage to an American Civil War cavalry raider named John Hunt Morgan. Much like Morgan did in his day, today's Soldiers in the unit travel great distances to conduct their missions.
- USNS Mercy Arrives in Japan for Port Calls NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- Service members participating in Pacific Partnership 2018 (PP18) aboard Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived Yokosuka for a port call, June 10.
- USNS Millinocket Arrives in Manila with Embarked 7th Fleet Staff NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- USNS Millinocket (T-EPF 3) and embarked U.S. 7th Fleet staff Sailors and Marines arrived in Manila, Republic of the Philippines June 11.
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 10 NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- Vice. Adm. Lisa M. Franchetti, commander, U.S. 6th Fleet and commander, Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO), flew in an MH-60S Seahawk helicopter to meet with the crew of the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Bainbridge (DDG 96).
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 9 NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- Thirty maritime units from 12 nations (Denmark, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States) maneuvered in close formation for a photo exercise.
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 8 NNS 11 Jun 2018 -- Vice. Adm. Lisa M. Franchetti, commander, U.S. 6th Fleet and commander, Naval Striking and Support Forces NATO (STRIKFORNATO) travelled to meet the crew of the Duke-class Type 23 frigate HMS Monmouth (F235).
- US F-15 fighter jet reportedly crashes into the sea Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- An American F-15 fighter jet has reportedly crashed into the sea off Okinawa in southern Japan.
- US Suspends F-15 Training Missions in Japan After Jet Crashes - Air Force Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- The United States has halted F-15 training flights at Kadina Air Base in the Japanese province of Okinawa after a crash in which the pilot managed to eject, the US Air Force said in a press release on Monday.
- Secretary General praises Italy's ''essential role'' in NATO NATO 11 Jun 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte in Rome on Monday (11 June 2018), praising Italy's many contributions to security in Europe and beyond. Mr. Stoltenberg welcomed that Italy plays a leading role in Afghanistan and Kosovo, provides air policing for Montenegro, has deployed troops to Latvia, and leads NATO's high-readiness Spearhead Force. "Your contributions are in the interest of Italy's security, and they are important for the security of the whole Alliance," he said
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg meets with the Prime Minister of Italy, Giuseppe Conte
- Exercise Trident Juncture 18 to demonstrate NATO's ability to defend itself NATO 11 Jun 2018 -- All Allies, as well as partners Finland and Sweden, will participate in NATO's largest military exercise in recent years, which will take place in Norway in October-November. Trident Juncture 18 will have an Article 5 (collective defence) scenario, and will be under the command of Admiral James G. Foggo, Commander of Joint Force Command Naples. At a press briefing in Brussels today (11 June), Admiral Foggo gave the media a first preview of the exercise together with Vice Admiral Ketil Olsen, Military Representative of Norway to the NATO Military Committee.
- NATO 'Committed To Defense, Deterrence,' U.S Admiral Says RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- NATO's massive exercise involving some 40,000 troops due to take place in Norway later this year will show the world that the Western military alliance is "relevant, united, and ready to defend itself," one of its top military officials has said.
- Neither Russia Nor US Interested in Undermining INF Treaty - Russian FM Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- The Council of Foreign Ministers of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) has adopted a statement on the Russia-US Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF), Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said, adding that no state is interested in undermining the INF.
- Third batch of female fighter jet pilots to officially join PLA Air Force People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- The third batch of female fighter jet pilots will soon begin their service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force, after graduating from the PLA Air Force Harbin Flight Academy.
- China's new multi-warhead ICBM among world's most advanced missiles People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- China's new multi-warhead intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Dongfeng-41 is among the world's most advanced missiles, military expert Shao Yongling recently told People's Daily Online.
- Israel launches surprise military exercises near Syria Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Israel's army has launched a surprise military exercise in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights near the Syrian borders amid rising tensions in the region following several Israeli airstrikes on Syria.
- Military pension bill up for review in special legislative session CNA 11 Jun 2018 -- The Legislative Yuan will process 18 bills, including the controversial military pension reform bill, during an extraordinary session that it has scheduled for June 11 to July 6.
- UN humanitarian coordinators 'stepped up to the challenge' of complex emergencies: 2017 report UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations office that coordinates the global institution's humanitarian work, successfully tackled the four most complex emergencies it was confronted with last year, according to its annual report released on Monday.
- Hide-And-Seek: Chinese Missile Launchers Reportedly Reappear in S China Sea Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- Beijing has been strengthening its presence in the region, deploying military equipment, missile systems to the disputed islands amid intensifying tensions with the US, who insists the waters must remain international and regularly conducts freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea.
- US Calls for Yemen Peace as Fears of New Offensive Grow VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- As international concerns grow that the Saudi-led coalition is about to launch a military offensive on the critical Yemen port city of Hodeida, the United States has called on all stakeholders to work with the United Nations to find a peaceful solution.
- MSF ceases activities in northwestern Yemen after Saudi airstrike hit medical center Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Doctors Without Borders (MSF) says it has "temporarily frozen" its humanitarian activities in northwestern Yemen after an airstrike carried out by warplanes of a Saudi-led military coalition hit a cholera treatment center run by the international medical charity.
- More than 920,000 displaced across Syria over past four months: UN Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations says more than 920,000 people have been displaced inside Syria during the first four months of 2018, the highest level since foreign-backed militancy began in the Arab country seven years ago.
- US-backed militants 'ready' for talks with Syrian govt. Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- The political arm of a US-backed alliance of Kurdish and Arab militants in Syria has said again that it is ready for unconditional peace talks with the central government in Damascus.
- UN Chief Seeks Probe Into 'Russian' Syria Air Strikes RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called for an investigation into deadly air strikes in northern Syria last week that were allegedly conducted by Russian jets.
- Syrian Army Prevents Attempted Offensive Towards Palmyra – Russian Military Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- Syrian government troops backed by the Russian Aerospace Forces have prevented militants from breaking out of the Al-Tanf area in Homs toward Palmyra, the Russian reconciliation center said.
- 'Highly explosive' escalation of conflict and displacement across Syria's Idlib, says top UN official UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- The situation inside Syria's Idlib threatens to become "highly explosive" amid an uptick in conflict between armed groups and a spike in the number of people displaced inside the war-torn country, a top UN aid official said on Monday.
- Syria: Guterres concerned over reported attacks in Idlib, calls for 'full investigation' UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres expressed deep concern over airstrikes that reportedly targeted a village in northern Idlib last week, killing dozens – including children.
- Rohingya refugee shelters 'washed away' in Bangladesh monsoon rains: UN agency UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- Two days of heavy monsoon rains have caused severe structural damage to camps in Bangladesh hosting one million Rohingya refugees from Myanmar, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) reported on Monday
- Haftar forces almost fully control Libya's Derna: LNA spokesman Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- The Libyan National Army (LNA), which is opposed to the country's internationally-recognized government, says it is in the final stages of a battle to fully take the control of the city of Derna in eastern Libya.
- Ukraine, Russia Views 'Far Apart,' As Berlin Hosts Peace Talks RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- The German, French, Russian, and Ukrainian foreign ministers were meeting in Berlin late on June 11 for talks on bringing an end to the fighting in eastern Ukraine.
- With realities shifting in Darfur, operations on the ground 'must change', urges UN official UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- The African Union-United Nations Hybrid Mission in Darfur "must change" in accordance with the shifting realities on the ground, the Organization's top peacekeeping official said on Monday, highlighting the need to "closely link" the mission's drawdown to the scaling up of both peacekeeping and development activities.
- Central African Republic: UN chief condemns killing of peacekeeper; the second in a week UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations chief has strongly condemned Sunday's attack that killed a peacekeeper in the Central African Republic (CAR); the second 'blue helmet' to lose his life there in the space of a week.
- U.S. Targets Russian Cyberfirms, Diving-Equipment Companies With New Sanctions RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- U.S. authorities hit three Russians and five companies with new sanctions, targeting a cyberresearch company and one that specializes in providing underwater diving equipment to Russia's lead security agency, the FSB.
- Treasury Sanctions Russian Federal Security Service Enablers US Treasury 11 Jun 2018 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated five Russian entities and three Russian individuals under Executive Order (E.O.) 13694, "Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities," as amended, and Section 224 of the Countering America's Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA). One of the designated entities in controlled by and has provided material and technological support to Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB), while two others have provided the FSB with material and technological support. OFAC is also designating several entities and individuals for being owned or controlled by, or acting for or on behalf of, the three entities that have enabled the FSB.
- US Sanctions 5 Russian Entities, 3 Individuals VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. sanctioned five Russian entities and three individuals Monday, accusing them of malicious cyber activities to provide material and technological support to Moscow's intelligence service.
- U.S. slaps new sanctions on Russian entities, individuals over cyber security People's Daily 12 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. Treasury announced on Monday that it has imposed sanctions on five Russian entities and three Russian individuals, accusing them of conducting "malicious cyber-enabled activities."
- North Korea, US sign 'comprehensive' document after historic summit Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump and North Korea leader Kim Jong-un have signed a document described by the American leader as important and comprehensive, following a historic summit between the two in Singapore.
- Remarks by President Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 11 Jun 2018
- US, North Korean Leaders Meet, Begin Historic Summit VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shook hands Tuesday morning, minutes before retreating inside a Singapore hotel to begin discussions about the possible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- Trump, Kim hold historic summit in Singapore Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump and North Korea leader Kim Jong-un have met at the Capella Hotel on Singapore's Sentosa Island for the historic summit.
- Press Briefing by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo The White House 11 Jun 2018
- Iran says 'not optimistic' about Kim-Trump summit, urges North Korea to be vigilant Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Iran says it is not optimistic about the prospects of a planned summit between the US and North Korean leaders, advising Pyongyang to practice vigilance in dealing with Washington.
- Iran to North Korea: Don't Trust 'Deal-Breaker-in-Chief' Trump Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un should know that the US has a history of "quitting treaties and violating their commitments" before trusting Washington, Iran's Foreign Ministry said Monday.
- Iran urges NKorea's vigilance in talks with US IRNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Iran Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi on Monday advised North Korean leaders to 'exercise complete vigilance' in their negotiations with the United States.
- North Korea to enter negotiations with US with full vigilance ISNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Iran urged the North Korean government to enter the negotiations with the United States with full vigilance.
- S.Korean president anticipates successful DPRK-U.S. summit People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday that the upcoming summit between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States was anticipated to be a historic milestone for peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- Backgrounder: Nuclear issue on Korean Peninsula People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump will meet in Singapore on Tuesday for a landmark summit, the first between incumbent leaders of both countries since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.
- Pompeo says US sanctions to remain until North Korea denuclearizes Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the United States will not lift economic sanctions against North Korea until Pyongyang fully eliminates its nuclear weapons capability.
- U.S., North Korean Officials Make Final Preparations For Trump-Kim Summit RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said June 11 that his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore could "work out very nicely" as officials from both countries met in Singapore to make final preparations for the event.
- Some Facts About the Upcoming Kim-Trump Summit Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump are set to meet on June 12. The talks are expected to be devoted to the future of Pyongyang's nuclear program and the lifting of economic sanctions.
- Guterres: UN Ready to Play Verification Role in N Korea Denuclearization Process Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations (UN) is ready to play a verification role in the process to denuclearize the Korean peninsula upon the request of interested parties, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a press release on Monday.
- Singaporean, North Korean Top Diplomats Hold Meeting Ahead of Trump-Kim Summit Sputnik 11 Jun 2018 -- Singaporean Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said on Monday that he met with his North Korean counterpart Ri Yong Ho ahead of the high-level summit between Pyongyang and Washington.
- US-North Korea summit in Singapore 'a promising development' says Guterres UN News 11 Jun 2018 -- The summit between the leaders of the United States and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is "a promising development for global peace and security," United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Monday.
- China Watching Kim-Trump Summit Closely VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- China may not be participating directly in the summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, but in some ways Beijing will be the invisible third party in the room.
- Former Diplomat, N. Korea Negotiator Optimistic, Cautious on Trump-Kim Meeting VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and a frequent negotiator in North Korea, Bill Richardson, spoke to VOA's Ira Mellman about President Donald Trump's meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
- Statement Regarding the Summit Between the United States and North Korea The White House 11 Jun 2018
- Kim Jong Un Meets Singaporean PM KCNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, visited the Republic of Singapore on June 10 and met its Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the Presidential Palace.
- Kim Jong Un Arrives in Singapore KCNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, arrived in the Republic of Singapore on the afternoon of June 10.
- Kim Jong Un Leaves for Singapore KCNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, left here by a Chinese plane for his personal use on the morning of June 10 to visit the Republic of Singapore where the DPRK-U.S. summit meeting and talks are to be held.
- President in a meeting with his Chinese counterpart: Beijing has key role in JCPOA's firmness, signatories' commitment ISNA 11 Jun 2018 -- Presidents of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the People's Republic of China stressed that the two governments are determined to continue strategic cooperation in all fields and they are determined to further deepen these relations.
- US unilateralism, serious threat to international security: Iran Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi says unilateral measures by the United States pose a serious threat to international peace and security.
- Xi chairs SCO summit to draw up blueprint for shared future People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping chaired the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) annual summit Sunday, aiming to bring the group to a shared future of common prosperity amid global instability and uncertainty.
- SCO explores global governance for new era People's Daily 11 Jun 2018 -- The issuing of the Qingdao Declaration marked the end of a fruitful Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit. A series of landmark achievements has been made: The proposal put forward by Chinese President Xi Jinping to build an SCO community with a shared future was welcomed by leaders of all participating countries; China will set up a 30-billion-yuan ($4.7 billion) equivalent special lending facility within the framework of the Inter-Bank Consortium of the SCO; India and Pakistan attended the summit as full members for the first time. These developments shored up the significance of the Qingdao summit.
- WH says Trump given China's ZTE one last chance Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- White House trade adviser Peter Navarro says President Donald Trump has given one last chance to China's telecom giant ZTE, stressing that Washington would shut down the company if it is caught violating US laws again.
- US Won't Lift Ban on Chinese Telecom ZTE Until $1B Fine Paid VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- The United States will not lift the ban on doing business with Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE until ZTE pays a $1 billion fine for trade violations and places $400 million more in escrow.
- Iraqi cleric Sadr rejects election rerun, warns of civil war after ballots burned Press TV 11 Jun 2018 -- Iraqi cleric, Muqtada al-Sadr, whose coalition won the largest number of seats in the country's recent parliamentary elections, has rejected calls for an election rerun, warning Iraqis about breaking out of a possible "civil war" just a day after a storage site in Baghdad, which housed ballot boxes, was purportedly torched ahead of a recount.
- Experts Alarmed at Rise of Jihadi Terrorism in Mozambique VOA 11 Jun 2018 -- On Friday, the U.S. embassy in Mozambique issued a security alert, warning all U.S. citizens to avoid visiting the Palma district in Cabo Delgado province, and urging those already there to "consider departing the area immediately."
- New compound important symbol of U.S. commitment to Taiwan: AIT head CNA 11 Jun 2018 -- James Moriarty, chairman of the board of trustees of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), arrived in Taiwan on Sunday to attend the dedication ceremony of the AIT's new office complex in Taipei, which he described as "an important symbol" of U.S. commitment to Taiwan.
- Ukraine's Poroshenko Signs Law On Anticorruption Court RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has signed a bill on an anticorruption court, an institution the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and Western governments say is crucial for Kyiv.
- US Extradites Former President of Panama to Face Illegal Wiretapping and Embezzlement Charges US Dept. of Justice 11 Jun 2018 -- The United States today extradited Ricardo Alberto Martinelli Berrocal, who served as President of Panama from 2009 to 2014, to stand trial in that country on four charges related to an illegal wiretapping scheme allegedly conducted while he was in office.
- Tajikistan's Banned Islamic Party Claims Former Members Hit By 'Wave Of Arrests' RFE/RL 11 Jun 2018 -- The Islamic Renaissance Party (IRPT) says it halted its activities in Tajikistan nearly three years ago, when it was outlawed by the Supreme Court. What hasn't stopped, the Islam-rooted party claims, is the government's persecution of its followers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|