10 June 2018 Military News
- Afghanistan seizes 156 sacks of bomb-making material Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- Afghan security forces have seized 156 sacks of ammonium nitrate from the back of a vegetable truck coming from Pakistan, local officials say.
- Can Afghan Armistice Open Door for Peace Talks? VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- Hopes for direct peace talks are high in Afghanistan after the Taliban agreed to a unilateral cease-fire from the Afghan government.
- One US troop killed in Somalia by al-Shabab militants Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- A US military member has been killed and four others were wounded after they came under fire in Somalia during an operation against the al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab militant group.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Air Force grounds entire B-1 bomber fleet over ejection seat hitch Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- The US Air Force has grounded the entire fleet of its B-1B bomber aircraft over safety concerns related to the warplane's ejection seats.
- Military drill held in Kinmen following Han Kuang exercise CNA 10 Jun 2018 -- The Kinmen Defense Command held a military drill Sunday to test the amphibious warfare capabilities of special forces troops and operations across multiple-position areas for the artillery regiment.
- Yemeni forces deal heavy blow to Arab coalition IRNA 10 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni army and popular committees on Saturday dealt a heavy blow to forces of Saudi-lead coalition of Arab countries in Al Jah region on the western coasts of the country, killing 58 military men.
- Yemeni ballistic missiles hit southern S. Arabia IRNA 10 Jun 2018 -- Yemen Army's missile unit fired a ballistic missile at an industrial city in Jizan Region south of Saudi Arabia late Sunday.
- Dozens of Saudi mercenaries killed as Yemeni forces hit bases in Ta'izz, Hudaydah Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- Dozens of Saudi-sponsored militiamen loyal to Yemen's resigned president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, have been killed and scores of others sustained injuries when Yemeni army forces separately fired two domestically-manufactured ballistic missiles at their base in the country's southwestern province of Ta'izz as well as the western coastal province of Hudaydah.
- President Assad: US and UK existence in Syria is invasion IRNA 10 Jun 2018 -- President Bashar al-Assad said that the UK publicly supported the White Helmets that are a branch of Al Qaeda and Jabhat al-Nusra in different areas of Syria, stressing that Syria considers the White Helmets to be a PR stunt by the UK.
- Terrorists fire rocket shells at Aleppo, causing damage IRNA 10 Jun 2018 -- Terrorist groups fired a number of rocket shells at residential neighborhoods in Aleppo city, causing only material damage.
- Turkish Military Already in Iraq, Ready to Advance on Kurdish Base - PM Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- According to Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, Turkish forces are currently based dozens of kilometers inside northern Iraq and could push further to attack the Kurds in the Qandil Mountains. This is where the stronghold of the PKK (Kurdistan Workers' Party), designated as a terrorist organization in Turkey, is reportedly located.
- 'UN deal with Myanmar could return Rohingya Muslims to killing fields' Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh and experts say a recent deal between Myanmar and the United Nations (UN) falls short of guaranteeing the Muslims' safe return to Myanmar, where thousands of them have already been killed in state-sponsored violence.
- US Envoy, Palestinian Official Engage in New Fight over Peace Effort VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- The U.S.'s chief Mideast envoy and a key Palestinian official engaged in a sharp exchange of words Sunday over Israeli-Palestinian peace prospects and the role the United States is playing in trying to settle the decadeslong dispute.
- White House Advisers Assail Canada's Trudeau Over Tariff Remarks VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- Key White House advisers assailed Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Sunday, contending that he "stabbed us in the back" and undermined U.S. President Donald Trump after Trump left the G-7 economic summit to head to Singapore for nuclear weapons talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- White House Adviser: 'Special Place in Hell' for Canada's Trudeau VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- The White House is assailing Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying he "stabbed us in the back" and undermined U.S. President Donald Trump after Trump left the G-7 economic summit early for Singapore.
- Trump Backtracks, Says U.S. Will Not Endorse Final G7 Statement RFE/RL 10 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has thrown a summit of the Group of Seven (G7) leading industrialized nations into disarray, withdrawing his endorsement of a statement he initially had accepted, as a dispute between the United States and its allies intensified.
- Trump's G7 Communique U-Turn Destroys Partners' Trust – German Foreign Minister Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- President Donald Trump's decision to revoke his endorsement of the Group of Seven (G7) communique via a tweet has undercut trust of US partners and made it even more vital for Europe to stand united and more decisively defend its interests, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Sunday.
- Trump rejects joint G7 communique, accuses Canada PM of lying Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has called on American representatives at the G7 summit not to endorse the joint communique put out by the heads of the Group of Seven industrialized nations following what he alleged as "false statements" made by Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- Germany accuses Trump of destroying trust with G7 tweets Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas has slammed US President Donald Trump for sending tweets about a recent meeting of G7 group of industrialized nations, saying those statements are further destroying trust between the United States and traditional allies in the West.
- DPRK leader Kim Jong Un arrives in Singapore for summit: foreign ministry People's Daily 10 Jun 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) had arrived in Singapore, Singapore's Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said Sunday in a message on Twitter.
- Kim Arrives In Singapore As Historic Summit With Trump Nears RFE/RL 10 Jun 2018 -- Singapore's Foreign Ministry says North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has arrived in the country for an upcoming June 12 summit with U.S. President Donald Trump.
- US, North Korean Representatives to Meet in Singapore on Monday - White House Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- Representatives of the United States and North Korea will hold a meeting on Monday in Singapore ahead of the historic talks between the US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, which are scheduled for Tuesday, the White House said Sunday.
- Trump Admits 'Unknown Territory' Awaits in Kim Summit VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump acknowledges he is heading into "unknown territory" in his summit with North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Un, in Singapore.
- Kim Jong Un in Singapore for Historic Summit VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- Kim Jong Un on Sunday strayed further from his North Korean home than he has at any other time since taking power in 2011.
- A Tale of Two Summits VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- It was a calmer summit, but drew far less Western media attention than the fractious G7 gathering in Canada, which ended in disarray in an escalating dispute over trade and tariffs.
- Central Asia bloc has important role in 'peace, stability and prosperity' beyond region, says Deputy UN chief UN News 10 Jun 2018 -- United Nations Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed addressed the Heads of State summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) on Sunday, stressing that the organization's impact in the political, economic and security realm, extends well beyond the large Eurasian region that its members represent.
- China, Russia, Mongolia vow to strengthen cooperation People's Daily 10 Jun 2018 -- The presidents of China, Russia and Mongolia pledged to strengthen trilateral cooperation during their meeting here on Saturday.
- Xi calls for building SCO community with a shared future People's Daily 10 Jun 2018 -- Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member states should work closely to build an SCO community with a shared future, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Sunday.
- China's Xi Welcomes India, Pakistan To SCO, Hails 'Unity' RFE/RL 10 Jun 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping ushered Pakistan and India into the political and economic bloc led by China and Russia as the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) summit got under way in the northern port of Qingdao.
- XI Takes Swipe at G-7 Summit In SCO Remarks VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)is holding its first summit since India and Pakistan joined the bloc which is widely seem by observers as a means for blocking American influence in Central Asia.
- Fire Hits Ballot-Box Storage Site In Baghdad RFE/RL 10 Jun 2018 -- Iraq's biggest ballot-paper warehouse that was being used to store votes ahead of a recount has caught fire.
- Ballots From Iraqi Election on Fire in Baghdad Amid Recount Campaign - Reports Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- A fire broke out on Sunday at a warehouse in Baghdad, where ballots from the recent Iraqi parliamentary elections are stored, amid a nationwide campaign to recount the results of the vote, local Al Sumaria TV channel reported citing municipal authorities of the Iraqi capital.
- Iraqi Warehouse Storing Election Ballots Burns VOA 10 Jun 2018 -- A Baghdad warehouse storing ballot boxes from Iraq's parliamentary election caught fire Sunday, bolstering calls for a revote.
- Congo Preparing for New Potential Ebola Outbreak - Authorities Sputnik 10 Jun 2018 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has prepared its health services for possible 10th Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) outbreak, the DRC Ministry of Public Health said in a press release on Saturday.
- AIT's Taipei new complex 'a milestone': U.S. CNA 10 Jun 2018 -- The United States Department of State on Sunday said the dedication of the American Institute in Taiwan's (AIT) new building in Taipei marks "a milestone that reflects the importance of the U.S.-Taiwan partnership."
- Qatar on Saudi war threat: World not living in law of the jungle era Press TV 10 Jun 2018 -- Qatar has hit out at Saudi threats of military action against its Persian Gulf neighbor if it acquires the Russian-made S-400 air defense system.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|