09 June 2018 Military News
- Afghan government welcomes Taliban agreement to ceasefire for Eid Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- The deputy spokesman for the Afghan president has welcomed the Taliban's agreement to a government ceasefire proposal for Eid al-Fitr, expressing hope that the decision can lead to lasting peace.
- Taliban agree to ceasefire with Afghan forces for Eid al-Fitr Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- The Taliban have agreed to a ceasefire with the Afghan government for Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
- Afghan Taliban Announces Three-Day Cease-Fire Over Eid Holiday RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- The Afghan Taliban has announced a three-day cease-fire over the Eid-al-Fitr holiday, their first offer of its kind, following an earlier unilateral cessation of hostilities announced by the government.
- Dozens Of Afghan Security Personnel Killed In Taliban Attacks RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- Afghan officials say Taliban militants have killed over 40 government security personnel in attacks across the country.
- Taliban Announces Limited Cease-Fire VOA 09 Jun 2018 -- The Taliban announced Saturday it will halt offensive operations against government security forces across Afghanistan during three days of Eid al-Fitr festivities, which mark the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.
- Taliban Attacks Kill Over 65 Afghan Security Forces VOA 09 Jun 2018 -- Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan have killed as many as 65 government soldiers and police officers in three attacks.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Deploys Four Stratotanker Aircraft, 150 Personnel, to Western Ukraine Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- The US Air Force transferred KS-135 Stratotankers from the RAF Mildenhall base in the UK, the McConnell AFB in Kansas, the Beale AFB in California and the US Air National Guard base in Illinois. They were accompanied by about 150 personnel.
- 'Issue With Ejection Seat Discovered': USAF Grounds All B-1B Bombers Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- The US Air Force has grounded all B-1B Lancer bombers because of safety concerns after one of the aircraft conducted an emergency landing, Air Force spokesperson William Russell said in a statement on Friday.
- NATO Special Forces Conduct Trojan Footprint Drills - Estonian Military Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- The special forces of NATO member states have carried out the Trojan Footprint 18 exercises on the territories of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, the Estonian Defence Forces said Saturday.
- Bulgaria To Replace Soviet MiG Jets With NATO Allies' Planes RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- Bulgaria's parliament on June 8 approved a plan to spend about $2 billion (1.6 billion euros) to purchase 150 combat vehicles and 16 new or used fighter jets to replace its aging Soviet-designed MiG-29s.
- Norway Receives 'Number of Requests' to Host More US Troops – Defense Minister Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- The expansion may include a doubling of US troops in Norway and can even involve the use of several military bases in possible violation of a 1949 declaration that specifically outlaws foreign powers from being stationed in the Scandinavian country during peacetime.
- US urges India to ditch Russian missiles for American ones Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- The United States is urging India to reconsider its plan to purchase advanced missiles from Russia and instead switch to American systems, touting the "strategic importance" of the relationship between Washington and New Delhi.
- US Wants India to Steer Clear of Russian Weapons - Reports Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- US diplomats reportedly seek to persuade India to not purchase Russian-made weapon systems in favor of hardware produced by the American military-industrial complex.
- Chinese government hacked US Navy contractor: Official report Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- Chinese government hackers have reportedly infiltrated the computers of a US navy contractor and stolen a large amount of highly sensitive data on undersea warfare.
- Station broadcasts shipping forecasts to South China Sea People's Daily 09 Jun 2018 -- China aired its first English language oceanic forecast in the South China Sea on Friday on Guangzhou Coast Radio Station with a coverage range of 926 kilometers (500 nautical miles).
- 250,000 Lives at Risk from Possible Attack on Yemen's Hodeidah VOA 09 Jun 2018 -- Humanitarian agencies warn a possible attack by the Saudi-led coalition on Yemen's port city of Hodeidah could put the lives of one-quarter of one million people at risk.
- Yemeni forces target Saudi border bases IRNA 09 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni forces fired missiles to Saudi's military bases in southern borders, Yemeni TV Channel 'Al Masirah' reported.
- UN peace plan wants Houthis in govt., end to Saudi strikes Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations has reportedly drawn up a peace plan to end the Saudi war on Yemen amid the failure of international diplomacy to halt the deadly aggression.
- Daesh continues resistance only in US-controlled areas IRNA 09 Jun 2018 -- Pockets of resistance of the Daesh* terrorist group in Syria are located only in areas controlled by the United States, Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said on Saturday, Sputnik reported.
- Daesh continues resistance in Syria only in US-controlled areas: Russian top brass Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- A high-ranking Russian military figure says the last pockets of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in Syria wreak havoc and perpetrate acts of terror only in areas controlled by US military forces.
- US hints longer Syria presence amid army gains on battlefield Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis claims that a swift withdrawal of US troops from Syria will be a "strategic blunder" as pro-Damascus forces edge closer to victory through sweeping gains against foreign-backed Takfiri terrorists.
- Turkey Constructs 475-Mile Wall Along Syrian Border – Reports Sputnik 09 Jun 2018 -- Turkey has constructed a 764-kilometer (475-mile) concrete wall along the country's border with Syria, he Anadolu Agency reported on Saturday, citing an anonymous Turkish official.
- Turkish army stationed 30km inside Iraq: PM Yildirim Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim says the country's troops have been "deployed 30 kilometers inside" Iraq and in its northern regions in a declared goal of eliminating militants of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK).
- 9 PKK militants killed as drone strike targets southeastern Turkey Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- At least nine members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group have been killed when the Turkish military carried out an airstrike on the country's southeastern province of Sirnak.
- UN humanitarian coordinator condemns Central African Republic hospital attack as 'inhuman and unworthy' UN News 09 Jun 2018 -- Weapon-toting intruders at a hospital in war torn Central African Republic (CAR) drew grave condemnation from the United Nations humanitarian coordinator on the ground, calling it "an outrageous violation of international humanitarian law."
- Press Conference by President Trump After G7 Summit The White House 09 Jun 2018
- Trump Repeats Call For Russia's Return To G7, But Final Communique Assails Moscow RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has repeated his call for Russia to be readmitted into the Group of Seven (G7) during a press conference on the sidelines of a summit in Quebec, Canada.
- Trump Rails at Trudeau, Says US Won't Sign G-7 Communique VOA 09 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday that he had instructed his representatives not to sign a communique by all seven leaders attending the G-7 summit in Canada, citing statements by Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made after he left.
- Ball in US court for improving bilateral ties: Russian president Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- President Vladimir Putin has expressed hope relations between Moscow and Washington would ameliorate but says the ball is in the United States' court.
- Europe leaders unanimously reject Trump's call to Russia's return to G7: France Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- European members of the G7 industrial nations have unanimously rejected a call by US President Donald Trump for Russia's readmission to the group.
- Trump Says Singapore Summit Is 'Onetime' Chance For North Korea RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said that his June 12 summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is a "onetime" chance for the North, adding "but I feel really confident."
- Trump: Meeting with Kim 'One-Time Shot' for North Korea VOA 09 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump warned Saturday that his meeting with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12 is a "one-time shot" for the reclusive leader.
- Focus On 'Unity' As Shanghai Summit Opens In China RFE/RL 09 Jun 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jingping has praised the "unity" of the Shanghai Cooperation Agreement (SCO) at the opening ceremony of the organization's summit in the coastal Chinese city of Quingdao.
- Abadi faces key decision to align with Iraq liberators Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- Leading Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's announcement of a coalition has left remaining parties with the choice of closing ranks which could reinstate Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi for another term.
- Saudi, UAE seeking to unseat Bahraini PM: Report Press TV 09 Jun 2018 -- A new report says Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are seeking to overthrow Bahraini Prime Minister Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifah, the world's longest-serving premier, in a bid to gain more influence in the Persian Gulf country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|