05 June 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 05 Jun 2018 [PDF]
- Department Of Defense Press Briefing by Colonel Veale via Teleconference from Baghdad, Iraq DoD 05 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Colonel Thomas Veale, Director, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve Public Affairs; Major Adrian Rankine-Galloway, Pentagon Spokesman
- US-led Coalition Intensifies Airstrikes in Syria - Spokesman Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The US-led coalition to defeat the Daesh* terrorist group has substantially increased strikes against targets in Syria since March and killed a senior Daesh leader, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman Col. Thomas Veale said in a press briefing.
- Operation Roundup in Syria Continues to Target ISIS Terrorists AFPS 05 Jun 2018 -- In Syria, Operation Roundup is in its 36th day of targeting and destroying remnants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Army Col. Thomas Veale, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve spokesman, told Pentagon reporters today via teleconference from Baghdad.
- Afghan Air Force conducts first emergency combat airdrop AFNS 05 Jun 2018 -- Afghan Air Force C-208 aircrew members conducted their first emergency combat airdrop mission bringing ammunition to Afghan National Police and citizens fighting the Taliban in Badakshan province, June 1, 2018.
- Ghani Says Kabul Attack 'Against Values Of Islam,' Backs Suicide Bomb Fatwa RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has condemned a deadly suicide bombing outside a gathering of the country's top religious body in Kabul, and backed its religious order, or fatwa, against such attacks.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Georgia National Guard engage in knowledge exchange with the Royal Army of Oman Army News 05 Jun 2018 -- The 35th Engineer Brigade of Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. and the 648th Military Engagement Team (MET), Georgia Army National Guard, had the exciting opportunity to engage in a knowledge exchange event with the Royal Army of Oman on counter improvised explosive device (CIED) tactics, techniques and procedures. The event took place at the Royal Army of Oman School of Engineering in Muscat, Oman and involved their engineers, infantryman and ordnance teams.
- VMM-262 (Rein.) joins the 31st MEU USMC News 05 Jun 2018 -- The ACE supports the 31st MEU with assault transport, close air support and aviation command and control. The ACE includes a reinforced MV-22B Osprey squadron and a detachment of F-35B Lightning IIs from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 121 during the MEU's regularly scheduled deployments, along with supporting detachments. The ACE for the 31st MEU rotates every 12 months.
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 4 NNS 05 Jun 2018 -- The President of Lithuania, Dalia Grybauskaitė, observed a naval demonstration from the Blue Ridge-class command and control ship USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20). Two Polish Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft performed a fly-by while Grybauskaitė was aboard.
- CVW-1 Exercises with Italian Air Force NNS 05 Jun 2018 -- From May 28 to June 7, aircraft from Carrier Air Wing One (CVW-1), embarked aboard USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75), are conducting integrated flight operations with the Italian Air Force.
- Benfold Arrives in Guam NNS 05 Jun 2018 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Benfold (DDG 65) arrived in Santa Rita, Guam, for a regularly scheduled port visit, June 5.
- Arlington Departs from Fleet Week New York NNS 05 Jun 2018 -- More than 800 Sailors and Marines departed Manhattan aboard the amphibious transport dock ship USS Arlington (LPD 24) on their way home to Norfolk, Va., at the conclusion of Fleet Week New York (FWNY) 2018, May 29.
- Fleet Cyber Command Conducts New Inspections Focused on Readiness NNS 05 Jun 2018 -- U.S. Fleet Cyber Command's Office of Compliance and Assessment (OCA) launched its Command Cyber Operational Readiness Inspections (CCORI) program earlier this year, marking the first time this type of inspection will be directed and conducted by the Navy as service cyber component of U.S. Cyber Command.
- NATO Reportedly Invests in 'Key' Military Radar on Denmark's Easternmost Island Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- With a radius of 470 kilometers, the radar has been described as one of NATO's most important tools for monitoring Russian activities. On the island of Bornholm, reactions have been cheerful, because the radar helps generate work opportunities.
- Patriot missiles and the Polish Army take the field Army News 05 Jun 2018 -- Saber Strike 18 is a multinational exercise taking place in the Drawsko Promorskie training area of Poland with the overall intent to strengthen our relationships with allies and bolster our regional defense posture. Through opposition force training, convoy operations and full scale mobilizations of weaponry such as the Patriot missile system, these exercises offer many vital logistical battle scenarios that foster invaluable training opportunities for service members.
- US Instructs Polish Forces on Patriot Anti-Missile Operation - Pentagon Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The US Army has invited Polish troops into a previously off-limits training area to attend a first-ever verbal demonstration of the Patriot missile defense system, the Department of Defense announced in a press release.
- China's First Carrier Strike Group Ready for Combat Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The People's Liberation Army-Navy made further progress toward joining the ranks of the world's most capable naval forces this week when its Liaoning aircraft carrier reached initial operational capability.
- India-Russia Defense Ties Unhindered by US Sanctions - Indian Defense Minister Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Indian Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has said that since most of India's military assets are sourced from Russia and many more purchase deals are in the pipeline, the US sanctions against Russia would not be impacting "this particular characteristic of India-Russia defense cooperation."
- Pilot Killed in Indian Air Force Jet Crash Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- A fighter jet of the Indian Air Force crashed in western India, the pilot died in the accident, Defense Spokesperson Lt. Col. Manish Ojha said Tuesday in a statement.
- Live-fire drill staged on Tamsui River CNA 05 Jun 2018 -- The army conducted a live-fire exercise on the Tamsui River in suburban Taipei Tuesday, testing the military's combat and defense capabilities against a simulated attack by China's People's Liberation Army (PLA).
- Taiwan welcomes reported shift in U.S. arms sales policy CNA 05 Jun 2018 -- A reported shift in U.S. government policy to process arms sales to Taiwan on a case-by-case basis would likely make it easier to predict the timing of arms procurements, better meet defense needs and make defense budget planning easier, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Tuesday.
- Crashed F-16 black box found: searchers CNA 05 Jun 2018 -- Searchers have found the flight data recorder of the F-16 fighter jet that crashed on Monday, a finding believed to be crucial to determining the cause of the tragedy that led to the death of the plane's young pilot.
- China tacitly warns US not to sail warship in Taiwan Strait Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- China has issued a tacit warning to the United States not to sail a warship through the Taiwan Strait, following a report that said Washington is weighing doing that.
- China Warns Washington as US Reportedly Mulls Sending Warship to Taiwan Strait Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Even though it adopted the "One China" policy in 1979, the US maintains close trade ties with the island and remains its top supplier of weapons.
- Turkey to look for alternatives if US reneges on F-35 deal: Cavusoglu Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu says the Ankara government will engage in diplomacy with other nations to beef up its air force and even increase efforts to manufacture its own fighter aircraft in case the United States does not stand committed to its F-35 deal with Turkey.
- Turkish FM Reveals Date of US F-35 First Delivery to Ankara Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Turkey expects the first delivery of US F-35 stealth fighter planes on June 21 this year, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Monday, adding that the agreement between Ankara and Washington on jets remained in force.
- Qatar Slams Riyadh's 'Reckless Behavior,' Alleged Threats Over S-400 Purchase Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Information earlier surfaced in French media that Riyadh had expressed concern over Doha's intent to buy Russian S-400 air defense systems in a letter to French President Emmanuel Macron, reportedly vowing to destroy them using military force if the purchase goes ahead. There has been no official confirmation of the information so far.
- Qatar accuses Saudi Arabia of creating disturbance in Persian Gulf Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The Qatari foreign minister has slammed Saudi Arabia's alleged military threat against the country as "reckless behavior," accusing Riyadh of creating "disturbance" in an already crisis-hit region.
- Kim Appoints Loyalists to N. Korea's Top Military Posts VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- The three generals North Korean leader Kim Jong Un moved into key positions before the Singapore summit with the United States are "fanatically devoted to the North Korean system and the Kim family's leadership."
- Department Press Briefing - June 5, 2018 US Dept. of State 05 Jun 2018
- 5 June 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 05 Jun 2018
- US flies B52 bombers near South China Sea islands Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The US Air Force has flown two B-52 strategic bombers within the vicinity of the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, a US military official says, in a move that is expected to draw ire from China.
- Saudi Air Defense Forces Intercept Houthi Ballistic Missile - Reports Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces (RSADF) intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Houthi movement from Yemen targeting the Saudi territory, Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday, citing the Saudi-led Coalition Forces Command.
- 418 aggressors killed in Yemen: Military source IRNA 05 Jun 2018 -- Some 418 mercenaries of a coalition of Saudi Arabia and some Arab states have been killed and 322 others wounded in the past three days, according to a Yemeni military source.
- UN greatly concerned for lives of civilians in Yemen's Hudaydah Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The United Nations Yemen envoy has voiced great concerns over Saudi Arabia-backed militants attacks on the port city of Hudaydah.
- US targeting Syrian people: Damascus tells UN chief IRNA 05 Jun 2018 -- Foreign and Expatriates Ministry said the illegitimate US-led International Coalition has been targeting civilians in the villages of al-Hasaka, Raqqa and Deir Ezzor as a retribution for their refusal to join US-allied separatist militias.
- Army secures points infiltrated by Daesh in Deir Ezzor IRNA 05 Jun 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army secured points previously infiltrated by Daesh (ISIS) terrorist organization in the southeastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Kurdish militants to withdraw advisors from Syria's Manbij Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The Syrian People's Protection Units (YPG) has announced that it will take its advisors out of Syria's northern city of Manbij a day after the US and Turkey agreed on a roadmap for withdrawal of the Kurdish militant group from the region.
- US-led coalition targeting Syrians over refusal to back SDF militants: Damascus Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The Damascus government says the so-called US-led coalition purportedly fighting Daesh Takfiri terrorist group is targeting ordinary people in the northern province of Hasakah and Raqqah as well as eastern province of Dayr al-Zawr as a punishment for their refusal to back and join US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militants.
- Turkey, US agree on 'road map' for Syria's Manbij Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Turkey and the US have agreed a plan on the withdrawal of Washington-backed Kurdish militants from the northern Syrian city of Manbij, which has been a source of tension between the two NATO allies for months.
- UN Delivers Humanitarian Aid to Areas Near Yarmouk Camp in Syria - OCHA Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) delivered humanitarian aid to thousands of people in the areas near the Yarmouk refugee camp near Damascus, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA) said Tuesday.
- SDF Continue Military Operation on Syrian-Iraqi Border Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) resumed the al-Jazeera Storm operation to liberate the Syrian province of al-Hasakah on the Iraqi border from the Daesh terrorist group, the SDF press service said on Monday.
- Support for Ongoing Defeat ISIS Operations in Syria US Dept. of State 05 Jun 2018
- Senior State Department Officials on the U.S.-Turkish Working Group on Syria US Dept. of State 05 Jun 2018 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Officials
- Counter-IS Coalition Slams Amnesty Report on Raqqa VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- The U.S.-led coalition battling Islamic State in Iraq and Syria has strongly criticized a report by human rights group Amnesty International accusing it of violating international law last year.
- Syrian Kurdish YPG Militia to Pull Military Advisers Out of Manbij VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- The Syrian Kurdish YPG militia says its military advisers will withdraw from the northern Syrian city of Manbij, after the United States and Turkey agreed on a road map to resolve the future of the city, an issue that is a major source of tension between the NATO allies.
- Turkey Threatens Strike on Kurds in Iraq VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- Turkey is warning it will launch a decisive strike on the longtime Kurdish separatist group PKK at the group's base in northern Iraq. The top Turkish diplomat said Ankara would draw on cooperation from the U.S. and others do so.
- US Notified Lebanon of Israel's Readiness to Discuss Territorial Issue Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The United States notified Lebanon of Israel's readiness to discuss the dispute to define the land and sea borders between the two states, Lebanese parliament speaker Nabih Berri told Sputnik.
- Ex-Kenyan Leader Offers to Be S. Sudan Mediator VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga said he thinks he can make a difference in the stalemate between South Sudan President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar.
- Myanmar targeted the educated in genocide, Rohingya refugees say Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Members of Myanmar's persecuted Rohingya community say government forces have specifically targeted the minority group's religious figures and teachers in their crackdown in Rakhine state.
- Ethiopia Vows to Give Disputed Badme Town to Eritrea VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- Ethiopia will give a long-disputed swath of land to Eritrea, the government announced Tuesday.
- Special Counsel Accuses Trump Ex-Campaign Chief Of Witness Tampering RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- Robert Mueller, the U.S. special counsel investigating alleged Russian election interference, has levied new charges against President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, saying he attempted to tamper with witnesses.
- U.S. Extends Sanctions Deadline For Two More Deripaska Companies RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. Treasury Department has granted investors in the sanctioned Russian firm En+ Group and its subsidiary EuroSibEnergo a reprieve from an impending June 5 deadline, saying they have until October 23 to divest their holdings.
- Putin Calls U.S. Indictment Of Kremlin-Connected Tycoon 'Ridiculous' RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ridiculed the U.S. indictment of a Kremlin-connected billionaire for allegedly meddling in the 2016 presidential election, scoffing at the idea that someone described as his chef could sway U.S. voters.
- Trump-Kim summit set for Singapore's Sentosa Island: White House Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The White House has announced that the summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un will be held on Singapore's southern island of Sentosa.
- White House Announces Venue for Trump-Kim Summit in Singapore VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- The White House says next week's summit in Singapore between President Donald Trump and North Korean Kim Jong Un will be held at the Capella hotel on Sentosa Island.
- Russia spares no effort to settle tensions in Korean Peninsula: Putin Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says Moscow will "exhaust every effort" to resolve the simmering tensions in the Korean Peninsula peacefully, stressing that the Kremlin abhors the very idea of a possible nuclear war between Russia's neighbor North Korea and the US.
- US Warns Allies on Business Ties to Iran VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- U.S. allies and partners will face "very significant risks" if they continue to do business with Iran, including the possibility of getting hit with sanctions from Washington.
- French, Israeli Leaders Disagree Over Iran During Netanyahu's Visit VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- There was little likelihood that France and Israel would see eye to eye on the Iran nuclear deal, which the Europeans support and Israel strongly opposes. But as European businesses – including French carmaker PSA – begin exiting Iran over fears of U.S. sanctions, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu predicts business, not politics, will sink the deal.
- Netanyahu Warns Merkel Iran Meddling Will Spark New Refugee Crisis VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meets with French leaders Tuesday in Paris as he continues efforts to persuade European leaders to alter the international nuclear agreement with Iran.
- Iran nuclear chief: No negotiation acceptable on JCPOA IRNA 05 Jun 2018 -- Iran's nuclear organization chief said on Tuesday that the country will not accept renegotiation on the nuclear deal it signed with major world powers in 2015.
- Iran: Infrastructure for multi-thousand SWUs ready IRNA 05 Jun 2018 -- The infrastructure for Natanz electricity facility, required for achieving long-term goals, including the multi-thousand SWUs project, has been constructed by Iranian scientists, head of the country's Atomic Energy Organization (AEOI) said on Tuesday.
- French president says no indication of Iran breaching nuclear deal Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has said that there is "no indication" of Iran breaching the nuclear deal.
- EU confirms Iran enrichment plan not in nuclear deal violation Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The European Union says a "first assessment" indicated that Iran's declared intention to increase uranium enrichment capacity did not violate Tehran's commitments under a landmark nuclear agreement it signed with major world powers in 2015.
- France's PSA again reverses on Iran deal in deference to US Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- PSA, the maker of Peugeot and Citroen cars, has become the latest French company to suspend its joint venture activities in Iran, despite promising to stand its ground in the face of sanctions.
- Israel intelligence minister proposes 'military coalition' against Iran Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- Israel has proposed that "a military coalition" be formed against Iran in case Tehran pursues "military-grade" uranium enrichment, suggesting that the military force would comprise of the Israeli regime, the US, the Western states and their Arab allies.
- German chancellor reiterates support for Iran deal in talks with Netanyahu Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has once again defended the Iran nuclear deal in talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is in Europe to persuade its leaders to follow the US and quit the multilateral accord.
- Iran begins working on infrastructure to build advanced centrifuges Press TV 05 Jun 2018 -- The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) says the country has begun work to prepare the infrastructure for building advanced centrifuges at its Natanz enrichment facility, while respecting its commitments under 2015 nuclear deal.
- U.S. Urges Allies To Be Vigilant Regarding Iran's Financial Dealings RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- U.S. allies and partners should work harder to ensure Iran does not deceive them into funding Tehran's "nefarious activities," the U.S. Treasury Department said on June 5.
- Iran Gives Notice Of Uranium-Enrichment Intentions RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- Iran says it has informed the UN nuclear agency that it has launched the process of increasing its capacity to enrich uranium in case the 2015 agreement that curbed its nuclear program collapses.
- EU Scrutinizes Iran's Statement on Boosting Uranium Enrichment - Spokeswoman Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- The European Union is studying Iran's statement that it is increasing capacities on uranium enrichment, the spokeswoman of the EU External Action Service (EEAS) said, adding that the bloc would be committed to the Iran nuclear deal as long as Tehran sticks to its implementation.
- WHO: No Confirmed New Ebola Cases in DRC Since Mid-May VOA 05 Jun 2018 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) reports no new cases of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been confirmed since May 17. WHO finds of 56 reported cases, 37 are confirmed, 13 are probable and six are suspected. The death toll stands at 25.
- In Ukraine, Prominent Journalists Targeted By 'Russian Hit List' Question Its Authenticity RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- The leak of an alleged "Russian hit list" has stirred anxieties and raised more questions about the bizarre Ukrainian staging of journalist Arkady Babchenko's death after journalists on the list said they doubt its authenticity.
- Washington Highlights Importance Of Ukraine Anticorruption Court RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- The United States has highlighted the importance of establishing an independent anticorruption court in Ukraine as it called on Kyiv to implement comprehensive reforms and put an end to systematic corruption in the country.
- The Importance of an Independent Anti-Corruption Court for Ukraine US Dept. of State 05 Jun 2018 -- "The United States calls on the government of Ukraine to implement deep, comprehensive, and timely reforms that reflect the demands the people of Ukraine made during the Revolution of Dignity: an end to systemic corruption, faster economic growth, and a European future for all Ukrainians."
- Kyrgyz Ex-PM, Ex-Mayor Of Capital Taken Into Custody In Corruption Case RFE/RL 05 Jun 2018 -- Kyrgyz authorities have taken into custody a former prime minister and a former mayor of Bishkek in a graft case related to modernization work at a power plant in the capital city.
- Maduro Confirms Venezuela Exiting From OAS Sputnik 05 Jun 2018 -- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said that the ongoing session of General Assembly of the Organization of American States (OAS) would become the last one for the country, as Caracas was withdrawing from the organization.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|