04 June 2018 Military News
- Suicide Blast Strikes Gathering Of Clerics In Kabul, Killing At Least Seven RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Afghan security officials say a suicide bomb explosion hit a gathering of the country's top religious body in Kabul, killing at least seven people and wounding nine.
- US mulls expanding military intervention in Yemen: Report Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- The United States is considering a request from the UAE to provide direct support for an attack to seize the Houthi-held port of Hudaydah, a major lifeline for Yemen, officials say.
- US Airstrike Kills 27 Terrorist Fighters in N. Somalia VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- A U.S. airstrike in northern Somalia Saturday killed 27 al-Shabab militants, the U.S. Africa Command said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Mattis Discusses Singapore Summit, North Korea, DoD Audit With Reporters AFPS 04 Jun 2018 -- North Korea was a topic in almost all of his bilateral talks with leaders of other nations, Defense Secretary James N. Mattis told reporters last night on his return flight from Singapore and his Indo-Pacific region trip.
- Alpha Battery poised for Saber Strike 18 Army News 04 Jun 2018 -- Members of Alpha Battery, are poised in Poland for Saber Strike 18, as they are setting up their area of operations (AO). Alpha Battery is one of several batteries subordinate to the 5-7 ADA BN, 678th ADA BDE, (South Carolina National Guard), 10th AAMDC (head quartered in the Rhine Ordnance Barracks, Germany), working on providing air defense assets during the Saber Strike 18.
- USNS Millinocket Arrives in Puerto Princesa, Philippines in Support of 7th Fleet's TSC Mission NNS 04 Jun 2018 -- USNS Millinocket (T-EPF 3) and embarked U.S. 7th Fleet staff Sailors and Marines arrived in Puerto Princesa, Republic of the Philippines June 4 as part of the U.S. 7th Fleet theater security cooperation (TSC) patrol.
- Ronald Reagan Welcomes CVW-5 NNS 04 Jun 2018 -- The forward-deployed aircraft carrier, USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), embarked Carrier Air Wing 5 (CVW-5) while underway off the coast of Japan, May 28.
- US, Partner Nations Conclude Successful Pacific Partnership in Vietnam NNS 04 Jun 2018 -- Service members and mission personnel participating in Pacific Partnership 2018 departed Nha Trang aboard the U.S. Navy's hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) June 2, after a successful two-week mission in Vietnam. This mission in Nha Trang included personnel from the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force embarked in JDS Osumi (LST 4001) and team members assigned to USNS Brunswick (T-EPF-6).
- Military Sealift Command's Newest Expeditionary Fast Transport Ship Hosts Fleet Week New York NNS 04 Jun 2018 -- NORFOLK, VA-(May 28, 2018)--Military Sealift Command's newest expeditionary fast transport ship, USNS City of Bismarck (T-EPF 9) hosted 2,550 visitors during Fleet Week New York 2018, May 23-28 at State University New York Maritime College in Bronx, New York.
- US to cut special forces in Africa to counter China, Russia: Report Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- The United States plans to sharply reduce the number of American Special Operations forces in Africa as part of a new Pentagon strategy that focuses on countering "rising threats" from Russia and China, according to a report.
- Montenegro, a valuable Ally after one year of NATO membership NATO 04 Jun 2018 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg commended Montenegro for its contributions to Euro-Atlantic security during a joint press conference with Montenegro's President Milo Djukanovic - marking one year since Montenegro's accession to NATO - on Monday 4 June.
- China's J-20 fighter jets will be serialized People's Daily 04 Jun 2018 -- China's stealth fighter J-20 will be serialized to increase capabilities, said Yang Wei, chief designer of the warcraft.
- Previously ‘Executed’ North Korean Official Promoted to Military Chief Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- North Korea has reportedly overhauled the highest echelon of its military, replacing its three top military officials. One of the new appointees, Ri Yong Gil, must be particularly pleased at his promotion, as he was reported to have been executed in February 2016.
- N Korea Replaces 3 Top Military Officials Ahead of Trump-Kim Summit - Reports Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- North Korea changed all three top military officials – minister of People's Armed Forces, chief of the General Staff and director of the General Political Bureau of the Korean People's Army – amid preparations for a meeting between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump, media reported on Monday.
- Report: N. Korea Replaces Three Top Military Leaders VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- South Korea's Yonhap news agency says North Korea's three top military leaders have been replaced.
- North Korea shakes top military brass as Trump-Kim meet nears Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- North Korea has removed its top three military officials, a senior US official says, a move that experts think is aimed at jump-starting direct talks with South Korea and the United States.
- Israel takes part in major NATO drill near Russia for first time Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Israel will for the first time take part in US-led NATO military exercises that kicked off in the alliance's eastern flank near Russia, amid tensions between Moscow and Tel Aviv over Syria.
- Can US- Seoul Alliance Survive a Nuclear Deal? VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- The U.S. and South Korea remain united in pursing a diplomatic solution to end the North Korean nuclear threat, but their national security priorities may differ over what would be the role of the U.S. military in Korea after a denuclearization deal is reached.
- Missing F-16 fighter pilot confirmed dead CNA 04 Jun 2018 -- The pilot of an F-16 fighter jet that went missing Monday while flying in an annual military drill has been confirmed dead after rescuers found body parts believed to be his in a mountainous area of New Taipei.
- Missing F-16 fighter jet may have crashed in mountains CNA 04 Jun 2018 -- There are indications that a missing F-16 fighter plane may have crashed in mountains north of Taipei but the military has yet to gain a clear understanding of what happened to the single-seat aircraft and its pilot.
- Annual Han Kuang live-fire military drills kick off CNA 04 Jun 2018 -- The annual Han Kuang live-fire military drills were launched in Taiwan Monday to test and boost the country's defense capabilities, focusing on joint anti-airborne operations at Ching Chuan Kang air base in Taichung, central Taiwan, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- F-16 goes missing in northern Taiwan CNA 04 Jun 2018 -- A F-16 fighter jet went missing in northern Taiwan on Monday while participating in an annual military drill, the Air Force has confirmed.
- Dutch Defense Ministry to Pay to Workers Over Toxic Paint Scandal – Reports Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The Dutch Defense Ministry will provide each of the hundreds of military engineers who were exposed to toxic paint with remunerations worth up to 44,000 euros ($51,600), the Dutch News media outlet reported Monday.
- US Threats Over Defense Deals Including S-400 Purchase Unacceptable - Turkish FM Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Monday that he had discussed the supply of S-400 systems and F-35 jets with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- Turkey Admits 'Tension' With US Over F-35 Deal Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- Turkey’s intention to buy S-400 air defense missile systems from Russia threatens to botch plans for the delivery of 100 F-35A fifth generation fighter aircraft to the Turkish Air Force Command.
- US Envoy Bashes Germany for Reluctance to Boost EU Security Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The United States is putting the squeeze on NATO ally Germany in a bid to get Europe's richest country to ramp up its defense outlays and is staking on a conservative “resurgence” in Europe.
- Defence Minister's visit strengthens UK ties with South America UK MOD 04 Jun 2018 -- The UK is determined to forge closer bonds with its partners in South America, Mark Lancaster has declared after a visit to three nations on the continent.
- Defence Secretary outlines plans for Indo-Pacific security at global summit UK MOD 04 Jun 2018 -- The international community must stand up as one to tackle extremism and complex cyber threats, Gavin Williamson has declared.
- Germany chancellor voices support for EU joint defense forces Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Germany chancellor Angela Merkel has voiced support for the concept of a joint European defense force.
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 04 Jun 2018
- 4 June 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 04 Jun 2018
- France, Britain Sending Ships to Challenge Beijing’s Claims in South China Sea Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The French and British navies are planning to follow in the footsteps of the US Navy with their own wayfinding mission through the disputed South China Sea, specifically, into areas London and Paris argue are illegally claimed by Beijing.
- Escalation of Sino-US Tension Hurts Southeast Asian Coastal States VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- A U.S. pledge to keep sailing navy vessels through the disputed South China Sea, which Beijing calls its own, could spark a military escalation that may hurt the interests of Southeast Asian states, analysts say.
- Almost 100 Local Tribes Form Coalition to Expel US Forces From Syria - Reports Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The presence of US troops in Syria is escalating tensions between government forces and the Kurdish-dominated Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), with some politicians and Syrian Army officers accusing the SDF of serving as “puppets” for the US and other western powers.
- Terrorists launch 12 rocket shells on Aleppo neighborhoods IRNA 04 Jun 2018 -- Terrorist organizations positioned in Aleppo western countryside targeted residential neighborhoods in Aleppo with a number of rocket shells, causing material damage to properties.
- Syrian tribes announce 'resistance' against foreign troops, support Assad Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- More than 70 tribes in Syria have reiterated support for President Bashar al-Assad and announced the creation of a "resistance" front against the American, French, and Turkish presence on Syrian soil.
- US, Turkey Agree on Roadmap to Resolve Dispute Over Syria Town VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- The United States and Turkey have agreed on a roadmap to resolve the future of the northern Syrian city of Manbij, an issue that has become a major source of tension between the NATO allies.
- Turkey Could Start Anti-PKK Operation in Iraq's Qandil Mountains Soon – Minister Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- Turkey may soon start an operation against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in Iraq's Qandil Mountains, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said Monday, as quoted by Daily Sabah newspaper.
- Turkish security forces 'neutralize' 30 PKK terrorists in one week Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Turkish security forces have "neutralized" at least 30 members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militant group, including three high-profile figures, during counter-terrorism operations across Turkey in the past one week.
- Turkey says awaiting right time to attack PKK in Iraq's Qandil region Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Turkey says the country's launching of a military operation against purported positions of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in Iraq's northern monotonous region of Qandil is only a matter of time.
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange cross-border fire in Kashmir after short truce Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Indian and Pakistani forces have once again traded deadly fire at the disputed Kashmiri border following a brief period of calm there.
- Pakistani Tribal Region Under Curfew After Deadly Clashes Between Activists, Militants RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- The situation remains tense in a Pakistani tribal region where at least two people died and 25 were wounded in clashes between local militants and Pashtun rights activists, officials and eyewitnesses say.
- Pakistani Army Rejects Criticism Of Campaign Against Militants RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Pakistan's military has rejected accusations that the country is harboring militants who launch attacks in neighboring Afghanistan.
- Guterres strongly denounces latest attack on peacekeepers in Central African Republic UN News 04 Jun 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned Sunday's attack that killed a UN peacekeeper from Tanzania and injured seven others while they were patrolling in the west of the Central African Republic (CAR).
- UN Official: Governments Should Sanction Leaders of South Sudan Conflict VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- A senior U.N. official is calling on governments to target the leaders of South Sudan's warring factions with painful financial measures and other actions to persuade them to change the behavior that has plunged their country into a state of perpetual conflict and suffering.
- Trump says he has right to pardon himself in Russia probe Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says he has the "absolute right" to pardon himself from any charges stemming from the probe into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.
- Trump Says Has 'Absolute Right' To Pardon Himself In Russia Probe RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he has "the absolute right" to pardon himself in an inquiry about possible collusion between his 2016 presidential campaign and Russia, and reiterated his claim of innocence.
- Former Defense Intelligence Officer Arrested for Attempted Espionage US Dept. of Justice 04 Jun 2018 -- Ron Rockwell Hansen, 58, a resident of Syracuse, Utah, and a former Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) officer, was arrested Saturday afternoon on federal charges including the attempted transmission of national defense information to the People's Republic of China. The FBI agents took Hansen into custody while he was on his way to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in Seattle to board a connecting flight to China.
- Russia's Putin signs US counter-sanctions legislation Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a counter-sanctions bill in response to the US' latest sanctions against the country.
- Putin Signs Russian Countersanctions Bill RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed into law a bill that provides for countermeasures against the United States and other countries that imposed sanctions against Russia.
- Any US-N Korea Deal Must Include Complete Denuclearization - US Senators Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- US Senate Democrats have sent a letter to US President Donald Trump, saying that they want any nuclear agreement with North Korea to be permanent and include a robust compliance inspection.
- IAEA Ready to Verify North Korean Nuclear Program if Political Agreement Reached Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is ready to resume its verification of Pyongyang’s nuclear program provided that the parties to the North Korean crisis succeed in negotiating a political agreement, IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said on Monday.
- Kremlin officially invites North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to visit Russia Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Russia's President Vladimir Putin has officially invited North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to visit the Russian Federation in September, Kremlin says, days after Russian Foreign Minister paid an official visit to the peninsular country for the first time in nearly a decade.
- UN agency ready to play 'essential role' in verifying DPRK nuclear programme UN News 04 Jun 2018 -- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) remains ready to play "an essential role" in verifying the status of North Korea's nuclear programme as international talks aimed at denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula continue, the agency's chief said on Monday.
- Caught in the Cross-Fire: US, Iran Give EU Two Ultimatums Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- Germany, France and the UK have found themselves on the horns of a dilemma while striving to persuade Tehran and Washington to adopt a well-balanced approach to the international situation in wake of Donald Trump's withdrawal from the Iran nuclear accords.
- China to Continue Business Relations With Iran Despite US Withdrawal From JCPOA Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- The US announced their exit from the Iran nuclear deal in May, with President Donald Trump criticizing it as "flawed." Other parties to the deal, including European US allies, have confirmed their adherence to its provisions despite the threat of possible US sanctions.
- Supreme Leader orders making preliminaries for 190,000 SWU enrichment IRNA 04 Jun 2018 -- Supreme Leader of Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei has ordered speedy preparation of the ground for 190,000 SWU (separative work units) enrichment.
- Amano: IAEA has access to all sites in Iran IRNA 04 Jun 2018 -- Yukiya Amano, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), says the agency has access to all sites in Iran.
- Amano confirms IAEA accesses to all needed Iran sites, locations Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has reaffirmed the agency's accesses to all the required nuclear sites in Iran, calling on Tehran to ensure "timely and proactive cooperation" with inspections under a 2015 nuclear agreement with world powers.
- Leader: Nuclear agency must get ready for enrichment up to 190,000SWU as of tomorrow Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has ordered the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) to make preparations for enrichment of uranium up to a level of 190,000SWU without any delay.
- IAEA Renews Call For Iran's 'Timely, Proactive Cooperation' In Nuclear Inspections RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- The UN nuclear watchdog has reiterated its call for Iran to provide "timely and proactive cooperation" on inspections that are part of the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
- Netanyahu, Merkel Agree Iran A Concern For Israel's Security RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she agreed with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that Iran's activities in the Middle East represent a concern for the security of Israel.
- China Protests US Statement About 1989 Tiananmen Square Rally - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 04 Jun 2018 -- China has voiced its protest to the United States over US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's recent statement, in which he commented on the deadly clashes that took place in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.
- U.S.-Turkey Joint Statement US Dept. of State 04 Jun 2018
- Ukrainian PM Vows To Resign If Corruption Court Not Created RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Volodymyr Hroysman has promised to step down if an anticorruption court is not established in the country.
- Anti-refugee party emerges victorious in Slovenia's general elections Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- The right-wing Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS), which is a proponent of anti-refugee policy, has gained the highest number of votes in parliamentary elections.
- Anti-Immigration Party Wins Slovenian Vote, But Lacks Majority RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Near-final results in Slovenia's parliamentary elections put a right-wing, anti-immigration opposition party led by a former prime minister far ahead of the field of competitors.
- Jordanian PM Resigns Amid Anti-Government Protests VOA 04 Jun 2018 -- Jordan's prime minister has resigned, following four days of protests over a new income tax law.
- Jordan's prime minister submits resignation after anti-govt protests Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Hani al-Mulki has resigned from his post as Jordan's prime minister in a bid to defuse anger over government economic policies that have sparked the largest protests across the country in years.
- Georgia's 'Ordinary Man' Leads Revolt Against Government After Son's Death RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- When Zaza Saralidze met on June 4 with Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikshvili, the leader of the current wave of protests looked and sounded like a political figurehead ready to push Georgia in a new direction. Just don't tell him that.
- Georgian Protest Leader Gives Authorities Progress Ultimatum RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- The father of one of the two Georgian teenagers whose deaths have triggered massive protests in Tbilisi says his meeting with the prime minister has not altered his determination to fight against the country's corrupt ruling elite.
- 'Let's Remain United,' Moldova's Pro-European Parties Say After Chisinau Election Win RFE/RL 04 Jun 2018 -- Andrei Nastase, the mayor-elect of Moldova's capital, called on "pro-European, anti-oligarchic" voters and forces to remain united for parliamentary elections later this year.
- California Man Pleads Guilty to Attempting to Provide Material Support to ISIS US Dept. of Justice 04 Jun 2018 -- Everitt Aaron Jameson, 26, of Modesto, pleaded guilty today to attempting to provide material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS), a designated foreign terrorist organization.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|