03 June 2018 Military News
- Coalition Forces, Partners Begin Phase 2 of Operation Roundup AFPS 03 Jun 2018 -- Syrian Democratic Forces have initiated ground operations for phase two of Operation Roundup to defeat Islamic State of Iraq and Syria remnants in northeastern Syria, Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve officials announced today.
- US Reportedly Sets Up Base on Syria-Iraq Border Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- Earlier this week, several media outlets reported, citing Sinjar Governor Mahma Khalil that the US military had been deployed to the Sinjar Mountain of Iraq's Mosul province.
- 'Illegal Presence': US Must Pull its Forces Out of al-Tanf Base – Syrian FM Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- During a Saturday press conference in Damascus, Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem described the US military presence in the country as illegal, insisting that the American forces should leave the region.
- Pakistani Forces Clash With Militants on Afghan Border VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- Pakistan says at least six militants were killed and five soldiers wounded in shootouts along the troubled border with Afghanistan.
- Nearly half of Afghan kids not in school, UNICEF reports Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- A new UN report says nearly half of Afghanistan's children are not attending school because of worsening security, poverty and gender inequality.
- Nearly Half Of Afghan Children Out Of School, UNICEF Says RFE/RL 03 Jun 2018 -- Almost 3.7 million children in Afghanistan are unable to go to school due to ongoing conflict, poverty, and discrimination against girls, the United Nations' Children's Fund (UNICEF) says.
- Report: Nearly Half of Afghan Children Not Going to Schools VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- A newly published report on education in Afghanistan concludes nearly 44 percent of all children in the country are not going to schools, pushing the rate up for the first time since 2002.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Press Gaggle by Secretary Mattis En Route to Washington, D.C. DoD 03 Jun 2018 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis
- 1st Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment cases colors for Korea rotation Army News 03 Jun 2018 -- Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment, 25th Combat Aviation Brigade, held a unit colors casing ceremony June 1 at Fort Wainwright, Alaska in advance of a routine nine-month rotational deployment to the Republic of Korea.
- Mattis, Indo-Pacific Partners Discuss Security Issues at Singapore Summit AFPS 03 Jun 2018 -- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis and his Indo-Pacific regional counterparts discussed security issues during a series of meetings at the 2018 International Institute for Strategic Studies Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, according to officials.
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Malaysian Minister of Defence Mohamad bin Sabu DoD 03 Jun 2018
- Readout of Secretary Mattis' Meeting with Indian Prime Minister Modi DoD 03 Jun 2018
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 2 NNS 03 Jun 2018 -- Exercise Baltic Operations (BALTOPS) 2018 kicked off with participating nations attending a pre-sail conference at Hotel Amberton Klaipeda on June 1.
- BALTOPS 2018 Daily Update: June 3 NNS 03 Jun 2018 -- Exercise Baltic Operations (BALTOPS) 2018 continued with the final day of the pre-sail planning conference with the 22 participating nations making final preparations before moving to the next phase of the operation.
- Pentagon appointed to oversee federal security checks Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- The Pentagon has reportedly been appointed to oversee security checks at the US federal government.
- NATO Won't Help Israel in Case of Attack by Iran - Stoltenberg Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- Since Israel is a partner, and not a member of the military bloc, NATO is not ready to give any security guarantees to the Jewish state amid tensions in the Middle East.
- NATO to Deploy More Troops in E Europe to Confront 'Russian Threat' - Reports Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- Russia is apprehensive about NATO's increasing muscle-flexing close to its borders. Such a move is fraught with a dangerous flare-up of tensions between former Cold War foes.
- NATO and civil emerging response: marking 20 years since the creation of the Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre NATO 03 Jun 2018 -- NATO has played an important role in the domain of civil emergency response for twenty years. On 3 June 1998, the Euro-Atlantic Disaster Response Coordination Centre (EADRCC) was established. The EADRCC is NATO's principal civil emergency response mechanism.
- NATO launches massive drills in eastern flank Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Led by the United States, the NATO military alliance has launched massive military drills in its eastern flank near Russia.
- Taiwan to kick off biggest military exercise with live-fire drills CNA 03 Jun 2018 -- The five-day Han Kuang military exercises, Taiwan's biggest annual military drill, will begin in northern, central and southern areas of Taiwan on Monday, with a focus on joint anti-airborne operations at Ching Chuan Kang Air Base in Taichung.
- Russia Discusses Supplying Air Defense Systems to Rwanda - Foreign Minister Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- Russia and Rwanda are discussing possible supplies of Russian air defense systems to the African nation, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Sunday.
- India Conducts Successful Test of Agni-V Nuclear-Capable Missile Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- India successfully conducted a test launch of the Agni-V nuclear-capable ballistic missile on Sunday morning from a launch pad at the Integrated Test Range (ITR) on Abdul Kalam Island, the Odisha Sun Times reported.
- Iran top commander stresses improvement of defense capabilities IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Iran's top commander on Sunday underlined the elevation of defensive capabilities and providing maximum security in the country.
- Merkel Backs Macron's Proposal on European Defense Force Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- The politician's decision to give the project a green light is of crucial importance, since German opposition had for a long time been the main obstacle to its implementation.
- US weighs more naval patrols in South China Sea to counter China: Officials Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- The United States is considering intensified naval patrols in the South China Sea to counter what it sees as China's militarization of the strategic waterway, a move that could further increase tensions with Beijing, officials say.
- Scores of Saudi coalition forces killed in Yemen IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Scores of Saudi coalition forces, including some Sudanese fighters, have been killed in north and west of Yemen.
- 7 Saudi military vehicles destroyed at border with Yemen IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Yemeni forces destroyed seven Saudi Arabian military vehicles at the southern borders of Saudi Arabia Saturday, According to Almasirah TV channel.
- Saudi aerial assault leaves nine civilians dead in northwestern Yemen Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- At least nine civilians have been killed when Saudi military aircraft carried out an airstrike against a residential area in Yemen's northwestern province of Sa'ada as the Riyadh regime presses ahead with its atrocious bombardment campaign against its southern neighbor.
- Army thwarts infiltration attempts by Daesh in Deir Ezzor IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Units of Syrian Arab Army thwarted infiltration attempt by terrorist groups of Daesh (ISIS) to the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor province, inflicting losses upon their ranks and equipment.
- Syrian clans reaffirm support for Damascus Gov't IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Representatives of Syrian clans organized on Saturday a public gathering in Deir Hafer area in the eastern countryside of Aleppo province, in order to express rejection of foreign interference in Syrian affairs.
- Clashes on Kashmir border end India-Pakistan brief truce Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- A salvo of gun and mortar fire across the border of Kashmir has ended a brief truce between India and Pakistan in the disputed Himalayan region.
- Libyan National Army Destroys Militants' Arms Depots in Derna Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- The Air Force of the Libyan National Army (LNA) headed by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar has carried out airstrikes on militants from the Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna, destroying their arms depots, LNA spokesman Khalifa Obeidi told Sputnik.
- Counterterrorism Operation Regime Introduced in Russia's Dagestan Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- A counterterrorism operation regime has been introduced in the Tsumadinsky District of Russia's Dagestan Republic, a spokesman for the operation headquarters told Sputnik on Sunday.
- Israeli jets fly over Hudaydah amid Saudi push to seize city: Houthi chief Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Leader of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement Abdul-Malik Badreddin al-Houthi has revealed that Israeli warplanes have been detected flying over the key port city of Hudaydah.
- Israeli fighter jets target multiple positions throughout Gaza Strip Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Israeli fighter planes have carried out multiple airstrikes on a series of locations spread out through the Gaza Strip.
- Israel Reports Intercepting More Rockets Fired From Gaza Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- The Israeli air defense system intercepted two more rockets fired from the Gaza Strip within the last 24 hours, the Israel Defense Forces said on Sunday.
- Israeli Defense Forces Report Carrying Out 10 Airstrikes in Gaza Strip Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- The Israeli Air Force hit 10 targets in the Gaza Strip in response to the rocket fire from the Palestinian enclave, the Israeli Defense Forces said on Sunday.
- Giuliani: Trump Lawyers Leaning to Not Let Him Testify in Russia Probe VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's attorney Rudy Giuliani says it is an "open question" whether Trump will answer questions from investigators probing Russian meddling in the 2016 election, but that his legal team is leaning to not allowing him to be interviewed.
- Syrian President to meet North Korean leader IRNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is scheduled to hold meeting with Leader of the Workers' Party of Korea Kim Jong-un, American media Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported.
- Syrian President on Development of Friendly Ties with DPRK KCNA 03 Jun 2018 -- Bashar Al-Assad, president of the Syrian Arab Republic, received credentials from DPRK Ambassador Mun Jong Nam on May 30.
- US's Mattis sets condition for North Korea 'sanctions relief' Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says North Korea will receive sanctions relief only after it has taken "irreversible" steps to abandon its nuclear program, a demand that Washington has made previously and alternatively as a condition for a possible meeting between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Syrian President Assad Expresses Wish to Visit North Korea - Reports Sputnik 03 Jun 2018 -- Syrian President Bashar Assad expressed on Wednesday his intention to visit Pyongyang and meet with country's leader Kim Jong-un, North Korean Rodong Sinmun newspaper reported on Sunday.
- Mattis: Sanctions Stay on N. Korea Until Denuclearization Progress VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis says international sanctions on North Korea will only be lifted when Pyongyang takes concrete steps to dismantle its nuclear program.
- World must withstand law-breaking US behavior: Iran FM Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says all members of the international community must stand up to US law-breaking behavior, bullying and disregard for the rule of law after Washington announced it was withdrawing from a landmark nuclear deal Iran signed with the P5+1 group of countries in 2015.
- Iran-Israel talks allegations aimed at undermining resistance: Shamkhani Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- A senior Iranian security official says recent allegations about negotiations between Iran and Israel are totally 'baseless' and aimed at undermining the resistance front in its confrontation with Israel.
- Japan says wants US to ease Iran oil import curbs Press TV 03 Jun 2018 -- Japan says it is trying to seek an exemption from the US to maintain its oil imports from Iran as the administration of US President Donald Trump is preparing to reinstate sanctions against the country.
- After US Exit, Iran Urges Other Signatories to Preserve Nuclear Deal VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- Iran's foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif, is calling the U.S. pullout from the nuclear deal illegal and urging other signatories not to follow its lead.
- China Warns US Tariffs Will Undo Existing Deals VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- China is warning the United States any trade and business agreements between the two countries will be void if President Donald Trump carries out his threats to impose tariff hikes and other trade measures.
- Experts Mull Impact of Pakistan Tribal Regions' Mainstreaming VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- Pakistan last week signed legislation that integrates the semi-autonomous tribal region, previously known as the Federally Administrated Tribal Areas (FATA), into Pakistan's governing structure.
- Israeli Government Delays Debate On Armenian 'Genocide' Legislation RFE/RL 03 Jun 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has postponed a debate on legislation to recognize the mass killing of Armenians under the Ottoman Empire during World War I as genocide.
- Russia-Friendly, Pro-European Moldovan Candidates Face Off In Chisinau Runoff RFE/RL 03 Jun 2018 -- Voters in Moldova's capital are heading to the polls on June 3 for the second round of a snap mayoral election that is seen as a test for the country's political parties ahead of parliamentary polls later this year.
- After Decades-Long Hiatus, Russia Seeks Renewed Africa Ties VOA 03 Jun 2018 -- On Sunday, Sergey Lavrov, Russia's foreign minister, will visit Rwanda to meet his counterpart, Louise Mushikiwabo, and President Paul Kagame. They plan to discuss economic development and fighting terrorism, Russia's foreign ministry said, along with Russia's involvement with the Africa Union, which Kagame chairs until the end of the year.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|