22 May 2018 Military News
- OIF / OND / OEF / OIR / OFS Casualty Update 22 May 2018 [PDF]
- Department of Defense Press Briefing by Italian Brigadier General Vannacci via Teleconference from Iraq DoD 22 May 2018 -- Presenter: Italian Army Brig. Gen. Roberto Vannacci, deputy commanding general for training, Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve
- Coalition Trainers in Iraq Helping 'Make a Good Force Better' AFPS 22 May 2018 -- The coalition training effort in Iraq is all about "making a good force better," said Italian army Brig. Gen. Roberto Vannacci, the deputy commanding general for training for Operation Inherent Resolve's Joint Forces Land Component Command in Iraq.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters deployment Army News 22 May 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the fall 2018 deployment of the XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to Iraq.
- Department of the Army announces upcoming 101st Combat Aviation Brigade deployment Army News 22 May 2018 -- The Department of the Army announced today the summer 2018 deployment to Afghanistan of the 101st Combat Aviation Brigade, 101st Airborne Division stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
- At Least 32 Killed, Dozens Wounded In Kandahar Blast, Other Afghan Attacks RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- At least 32 people have been reported killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan and attacks in the country's east, as the Taliban pushed ahead with its annual spring offensive across the country.
- 'Few Signs Of Progress' In Afghan War Under Trump Plan, U.S. Watchdogs Say RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- The Trump administration's new Afghanistan strategy has made little progress against the Taliban insurgency since August, and the country remains a "dangerous and volatile" place after 17 years of war, a government watchdog report says.
- Afghan Air Force Deploys Laser-Guided Precision Bombs Amid Fight With Terror Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- The Afghan Air Force, just two years after gaining the capability of attacking terrorist targets with airstrikes, has recently increased its offensive lethality with the addition of laser-guided bombs to its arsenal, the US Department of Defense said in a press release on Tuesday.
- Bomb kills at least 16 in southern Afghanistan Press TV 22 May 2018 -- A bombing has left 16 people dead and more than three dozen others injured in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, officials said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US boosts Pacific missile defense ahead of Trump-Kim meet Press TV 22 May 2018 -- The United States has deployed an advanced warship to Japan in order to form a "ballistic defense platform" in the region, a provocative move ahead of the upcoming summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Laying the groundwork for a multinational amphibious task force USMC News 22 May 2018 -- Personnel, aircraft, and equipment from key partner nations working shoulder to shoulder while serving together in a multinational amphibious task force within maritime areas of Latin America and the Caribbean – this is what the future looks like in the minds of Marines and Sailors from U.S. Marine Corps Forces, South and several other regional military forces.
- USS Milius Joins Forward Deployed Naval Forces in Yokosuka, Japan NNS 22 May 2018 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided missile-destroyer USS Milius (DDG 69) arrived at U.S. Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka, to become part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces (FDNF) in Japan, Tuesday, May 22.
- Pacific Partnership 2018 Concludes Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Relief Exchange in Thailand NNS 22 May 2018 -- Multinational forces embarked aboard Military Sealift Command expeditionary fast transport ship USNS Brunswick (T-EPF 6) and Royal Thai Armed Forces conducted a series of interactions centered on humanitarian assistance/disaster relief (HADR), May 20-22.
- Pacific Partnership 2018 Conducts Community Relation Events in Thailand NNS 22 May 2018 -- Multinational forces embarked aboard Military Sealift Command expeditionary fast transport ship USNS Brunswick (T-EPF 6) and Royal Thai Armed Forces participated in various community service events during Pacific Partnership 2018 (PP18) mission stop Thailand, May 20-23.
- USS Constitution Gets Underway and Celebrates 50th Anniversary of Vietnam War NNS 22 May 2018 -- USS Constitution and her crew headed underway from the ship's berth in Charlestown, Massachusetts, on May 18, in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Vietnam War.
- Russian Submarine Conducts Salvo-Launch of 4 Ballistic Missiles for 1st Time Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- Russia's Borey-class strategic submarine Yuri Dolgoruky conducted on Tuesday a successful salvo launch of four Bulava ballistic missiles for the first time, the press service of Russia's Northern Fleet said in a statement.
- UK nuclear weapons incidents hit 6-year high Press TV 22 May 2018 -- The UK military experienced a record number of safety issues while transporting nuclear warheads and other critically sensitive equipment related to nuclear weapons last year, official records show.
- Flagship AI Lab announced as Defence Secretary hosts first meet between British and American defence innovators UK MOD 22 May 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson announced the launch of a new artificial intelligence hub as he hosted the first ever joint US-UK Defence Innovation Board meeting yesterday (21 May) to explore important areas of co-operation that will maintain military edge into the future.
- Expert says China needs to build at least six aircraft carriers People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- At least six aircraft carriers need to be built by China to safeguard national security and protect interests overseas, said Chinese military expert Liang Fang, after China's second aircraft carrier completed initial sea trials on May 18.
- Israel claims it has used US-made F-35 jets 'in attack mode' for first time Press TV 22 May 2018 -- An Israeli military official says Israel is the first regime to have used the US-made F-35 stealth fighter jets in attack mode, claiming that the fighter jets have been twice used in the Middle East.
- Israel First to Conduct Attacks With F-35 Jets - Air Force on Syria Strike Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- The commander of the Israeli Air Force has declared that Israel became the first country in the world to carry out an attack using the US-manufactured F-35 stealth fighter.
- Ukraine Showcases Javelin Firepower From United States RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- Ukraine has showcased the firepower of the Javelin antitank missile systems given to it by the United States last month in a performance President Petro Poroshenko called "a dream come true."
- Department Press Briefing - May 22, 2018 US Dept. of State 22 May 2018
- Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders The White House 22 May 2018
- 22 May 2018 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 22 May 2018
- UN chief urges governments to shield more civilians from violence in conflict UN News 22 May 2018 -- With more than 128 million people worldwide requiring immediate humanitarian aid, mostly due to war and violence, the United Nations Secretary-General has urged the international community to do more to protect civilians caught in conflict.
- US urged to not overreact on S. China Sea training People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- The recent landing of bomber aircraft on a South China Sea island by the People's Liberation Army Air Force is part of normal training that should not be over-interpreted, Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said on Monday.
- Syrian Army announces Damascus entirely safe after liberating al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 22 May 2018 -- The General Command of the Army and Armed Forces announced Damascus and Damascus countryside entirely safe areas after fully cleansing al-Hajar al-Aswad and al-Yarmouk Camp of terrorism.
- Russian air defenses intercept projectile targeting Hmeimim base in Syria IRNA 22 May 2018 -- Russian air defenses intercepted and destroyed a projectile targeting Hmeimim airbase in Syria Monday, the Russian military reported Monday evening.
- Army announces establishing control over al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 22 May 2018 -- Units of the Syrian Arab army have announced establishing control over al-Hajar al-Aswad area in southern Damascus.
- Syrian police deploy forces in southern Damascus after Daesh rout Press TV 22 May 2018 -- Syrian police forces have been deployed across neighborhoods south of the capital Damascus, a day after government troops and allied fighters from popular defense group purged the districts from members of the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
- Russian MoD: Syrian Army Finishing Clearance of Muhayam al-Yarmouk District Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- The Syrian military is finishing the liberation of Muhayam al-Yarmouk district in Damascus from the militants of the Daesh terrorist group, the Russian Defense Ministry's center for Syrian reconciliation said Tuesday.
- Deadly Spike In Fighting Reported In Eastern Ukraine RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- Monitoring officials say clashes between Ukrainian forces and separatist rebels in eastern Ukraine have escalated in recent days to some of the fiercest fighting of 2018.
- Palestine asks ICC to probe Israel rights violations linked to settlements Press TV 22 May 2018 -- Palestine asks the International Criminal Court (ICC) to probe the human rights violations linked to the Israeli regime's illegal settlement activities on occupied Palestinian territories.
- Israeli tanks target Hamas observation post in southern Gaza Strip Press TV 22 May 2018 -- Israeli battle tanks have targeted the southern part of the Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime goes ahead with its acts of aggression against the besieged Palestinian coastal sliver.
- Poverty compounding health challenges for Palestine refugees – UN agency UN News 22 May 2018 -- Non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, cancer and smoking-related ailments, account for the majority of the chronic health problems confronting Palestine refugees across the Middle East, a new report by the United Nations agency which supports them, has found.
- British MPs want Myanmar govt. referred to ICC Press TV 22 May 2018 -- A British parliamentary committee says the government must support efforts to refer Myanmar's government to the international criminal court over evidence of state-sanctioned "ethnic cleansing" of Rohingya Muslims in Rakhine state.
- New project safeguards Rohingya refugees; boosts local farming – UN migration agency UN News 22 May 2018 -- A major canal dredging project underway in Southern Bangladesh to protect Rohingya refugees from monsoon floods, will have the added benefit of boosting local agriculture, the United Nations migration agency said Tuesday.
- Delegates Mull Over IGAD Proposal for South Sudan VOA 22 May 2018 -- South Sudan's warring parties are expected to sign a proposal drafted by Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) mediators that addresses many of the major sticking points that have prevented a peace deal.
- U.S. Justice Department starts probe into Trump's FBI accusation People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- The U.S. Department of Justice said on Monday that it has asked its watchdog, the Inspector General, to probe President Donald Trump's accusations that his campaign had been "infiltrated or surveilled" by the FBI during the 2016 elections.
- UAE Denies Trying to Meddle in 2016 US Election VOA 22 May 2018 -- The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday that it did not try to influence the 2016 presidential election in Donald Trump's favor.
- Russia Pushes Bill to Counter US Sanctions VOA 22 May 2018 -- Russia's lower house of parliament, the Duma, has approved a counter-sanctions bill aimed at imposing what lawmakers say are "painful" trade restrictions on the United States and other states they call "unfriendly."
- State Duma Adopts Russian Countersanctions Bill RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- The lower chamber of the Russian parliament, the State Duma, has approved in its third and final reading a bill that provides for countermeasures against the United States and other countries that imposed sanctions against Russia.
- S. Korea regrets failed journalists' visit to cover DPRK's nuke test site dismantling People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- South Korea on Tuesday expressed regrets over the failed visit by its journalists to cover the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s planned dismantlement of its nuclear test site ahead of the summit between Pyongyang and Washington.
- S. Korea sees 99.9-pct possibility for DPRK-U.S. summit: Blue House People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- South Korea's presidential Blue House said Tuesday that it saw 99.9 percent of possibility for the agreed summit between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and the United States to be held as scheduled.
- South Korean president in US to discuss planned US-North Korea summit Press TV 22 May 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has traveled to the Unites States ahead of a summit that is supposed to be held between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
- Remarks by President Trump and President Moon of the Republic of Korea Before Bilateral Meeting The White House 22 May 2018
- Trump Acknowledges Summit With North Korea's Kim in Doubt VOA 22 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said his planned summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un might not take place next month.
- KCNA Commentary Calls for Facing up to Present Phase of DPRK-U.S. Dialogue KCNA 22 May 2018 -- The international community is hailing the efforts of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to promote detente and build wonderful future in the Korean peninsula.
- Trump: North Korea summit 'may not work out' in June Press TV 22 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has said his summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un "may not work out" in June, raising further doubt about whether the historic meeting would occur as planned.
- Pence: N Korea could end up like Libya if Kim does not cooperate Press TV 22 May 2018 -- US Vice President Mike Pence has warned that North Korea could end up like Libya if Kim Jong-un does not cooperate with the United Sates and give up nuclear weapons.
- Trump Suggests Summit With Kim Might Not Happen, Demands Denuclearization Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said that there was a substantial chance that summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un would not work out for June.
- North Korea Again Rejects Seoul's List of Reporters to Cover Nuke Site Shutdown Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- Earlier this month, North Korea said it would allow journalists from South Korea to attend the shutdown of its nuclear test site. However, North Korea has not accepted the list of journalists wishing to cover the dismantlement that the Ministry of Unification of South Korea recently sent to Pyongyang.
- Treasury Targets Iranian Individuals Providing Ballistic Missile Support to Yemen's Huthis US Treasury 22 May 2018 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated five Iranian individuals who have provided ballistic missile-related technical expertise to Yemen's Huthis, and who have transferred weapons not seen in Yemen prior to the current conflict, on behalf of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps-Qods Force (IRGC-QF). These sanctions follow the United Nations Panel of Experts' affirmation in late January that missiles and other military equipment employed by the Huthis against Saudi Arabia were Iranian-origin.
- Pompeo: US Working to Bring Home US Hostages from Iran VOA 22 May 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vowed Tuesday to bring home American hostages in Iran, saying "the entire United States government" is working "diligently" and is utilizing "every avenue" and "mechanism."
- Iran starts enrichment of stable isotopes with Russia's help IRNA 22 May 2018 -- Head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) said on Tuesday that following the implementation of JCPOA, Iran started enrichment of stable isotopes with assistance from Russia while in pre-JCPOA era it could enrich uranium alone.
- Majlis Speaker blasts Pompeo's allegations against Iran IRNA 22 May 2018 -- The baseless allegations US Secretary of State made against Iran is not even worth an answer, Iran Majlis (Parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani said on Tuesday.
- Foreign Ministry slams Pompeo's anti-Iran statements IRNA 22 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry in a Monday's statement termed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's cheap statements as a sign of the helplessness of American authorities in the face of Iran.
- Mogherini to Pompeo: EU committed to Iran Deal IRNA 22 May 2018 -- High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini in a statement rejected US Secretary of State's anti-Iran claims.
- Zarif criticizes US failed diplomacy against Iran ISNA 22 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif emphasized that U.S. diplomacy sham is merely a regression to old habits.
- Iran rejects US State Secretary's lies, accusations ISNA 22 May 2018 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry has taken a swipe at the new US secretary of state for the meddlesome comments he made against Tehran in the so-called new US strategy.
- Pompeo's demands of Iran 'nonsense': Russian envoy to IAEA Press TV 22 May 2018 -- Russia's Permanent Representative to the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Mikhail Ulyanov says Washington's recently-outlined demands of Iran are nonsensical because they left no chance for clinching any new deal.
- How can leaving JCPOA make region safer? EU to Pompeo Press TV 22 May 2018 -- The EU's foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini has stressed that there is no "alternative" to the Iran nuclear deal, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo vowed "painful" sanctions against Tehran.
- Saudi royal urges coup to depose King Salman, protect kingdom from harm Press TV 22 May 2018 -- An exiled Saudi prince has called for a coup by his influential uncles to depose King Salman and prevent the current ruling structure led by his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, from doing more damage to the kingdom.
- Exiled Prince Claims Saudi Arabia Could 'Descend Into Chaos', Destabilize Europe Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- Saudi Arabia's Metaphorical Volcano
- Confirmed Cases of Ebola Reportedly Rise to 28 in DR Congo Outbreak Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- The number of people now confirmed to be infected with the Ebola virus disease (EVD) in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) has risen to 28, media reported on Tuesday, citing the country's Ministry of Public Health.
- Department of State Announces Additional $7 Million To Combat Ebola in D.R.C. US Dept. of State 22 May 2018 -- The United States announced today at the World Health Assembly in Geneva an additional up to $7 million to respond to the emerging outbreak of the Ebola virus disease in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, including $5 million authorized by Secretary Pompeo.
- New Vaccine Might Be Game-Changer in DRC's Ebola Fight VOA 22 May 2018 -- The Ebola outbreak that has killed more than two dozen people in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo could be as devastating as the one that hit West Africa several years ago, if left unchecked.
- DRC Prepares for Mass Ebola Vaccinations VOA 22 May 2018 -- Preparations are under way for a mass Ebola vaccination campaign in the Democratic Republic of Congo as the Ministry of Health and international aid agencies hold a second day of inoculations in northwestern Equateur Province. The latest World Health Organization estimates report 51 cases of Ebola, including 27 deaths.
- Armed gangs force 'growing number' to flee north and south, in Central America UN News 22 May 2018 -- The number of people fleeing violence and persecution from States in Central America, including Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras, has risen by nearly 60 per cent in the space of just a year, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) has warned.
- China secures core interests in trade talks People's Daily 22 May 2018 -- Though details of a trade truce between China and the US remain murky, early signs suggest that the Chinese delegation led by Vice Premier Liu He had secured China's core interests in trade negotiations with US officials, while averting a brewing trade war, Chinese analysts said.
- US, China Near Rescue Deal for Chinese Telecom Firm ZTE VOA 22 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday "there is no deal" yet to lift the seven-year ban on the sale of American-made components to the giant Chinese telecommunications company ZTE, but that there might be a settlement as part of ongoing trade talks between the world's two biggest economies.
- Magpie Takes Flight: China Launches Communications Satellite to Moon's Far Side Sputnik 22 May 2018 -- China's lunar and deep space missions took a huge leap forward Monday morning when a rocket carrying a key satellite to the far side of the moon launched successfully.
- Malaysia's ex-PM Razak questioned over corruption Press TV 22 May 2018 -- Najib Razak, the ousted prime minister of Malaysia, has been summoned to court to answer questions regarding corruption allegations.
- Putin Offers Support For Venezuelan Leader Reelected In 'Sham' Vote RFE/RL 22 May 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has offered support for Venezuelan counterpart Nicolas Maduro after the United States, the European Union, and Latin American countries rejected his reelection as a "sham."
- US Lawmakers in Quandary Over Venezuela's Crisis VOA 22 May 2018 -- U.S. lawmakers on Tuesday applauded heightened economic and diplomatic pressure on Venezuela after a much-criticized presidential election, but openly admitted that no easy solutions exist for the country's deepening crisis.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|