20 May 2018 Military News
- UK may send hundreds more troops to Afghanistan, bending to Trump demands Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Britain's military is reportedly considering to substantially increase the number of its troops in Afghanistan following demands by US President Donald Trump for NATO members to "pay their fair share" for the US-led military alliance.
- Afghan Security Forces Clashing With Taliban in Ghazni Province - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- Taliban militants are advancing on the Afghan government forces in Ajristan district of Ghazni province in the southeast of Afghanistan, TOLO News reported on Sunday.
- UK Troops in Afghanistan May Double to 'Send Message to Allies' - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- NATO is considering sending more troops to Afghanistan amid rising fears over security in the troubled country.
Defense Policy / Programs
- China lands bombers on South China Sea island Press TV 20 May 2018 -- China's air force has landed bombers on islands and reefs in the South China Sea as part of a training exercise in the region in what has been seen as another show of force by Beijing.
- Yemeni missile hit Saudi radar brigade in Khamis Mushait IRNA 20 May 2018 -- The Yemeni army and popular committees launched a missile attack on a Saudi radar brigade in the southern city of Khamis Mushait, Asir province, Saturday night, Almasirah Net reported.
- Army unit foils suicide car bombing in Daraa countryside IRNA 20 May 2018 -- A unit of the Syrian Arab Army has foiled a suicide car bombing near a military point in Bowydan town, about 75 km northwest of Daraa City.
- Syria rejects reports of truce with Daesh in southern Damascus Press TV 20 May 2018 -- The Syrian army has rejected reports that it observed a brief ceasefire with the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group in a southern Damascus neighborhood.
- Arms Provided to SDF 'Limited, Mission-Specific' - US-Led Coalition Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- The weapons provided by the US-led anti-Daesh coalition to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) are rather limited in number and aimed at accomplishing particular missions, Special Operations Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve (SOJTF-OIR) commanding general, US Maj. Gen. Jamie Jarrard told Sputnik.
- Syrian Opposition Hails Statement on Foreign Troops' Withdrawal From Syria Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- The opposition Syrian Negotiation Commission (SNC) welcomes a recent statement by the Russian Special Envoy for Syria on the removal of foreign troops from the Middle Eastern country, SNC member Firas Khalidi told Sputnik.
- French Troops Providing Artillery Support to Kurdish Militia in Syria - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- The French special forces have installed six artillery batteries in areas held by Kurdish militia near the Syrian-Iraqi border, the Anadolu news agency reported.
- 'Myanmar forcing Rohingyas to leave no man's land' Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Myanmar border guards have started ordering the 45,000 displaced Rohingya Muslims stranded in a no man's land along the border with Bangladesh to leave.
- Israel plans new settlements south of Jerusalem al-Quds Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Israel is planning to build four new settlement buildings in the occupied territories.
- No peace in Palestine with Israel continuing its occupation: Turkish official Press TV 20 May 2018 -- A high-ranking Turkish official says there will be no peace in Palestine unless Israel ends its occupation of the Palestinian territories.
- Israeli Jets Actively Patrolling Syrian-Lebanese Border - Reports Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- Information on the Israeli air force's activity along the border between Lebanon and Syria is yet to be confirmed by the country's authorities.
- Killings, Kidnappings Mar Cameroon National Day Celebrations VOA 20 May 2018 -- As President Paul Biya led National Day celebrations in Yaounde on Sunday, several policemen were killed, soldiers wounded and mayors kidnapped in Cameroon by suspected armed separatists who had warned against celebrating the central African state's national day in English-speaking regions.
- Trump urges Republican action to end Russia probe 'scam' Press TV 20 May 2018 -- US President Trump is encouraging Republican Party lawmakers and "real Americans" to start "getting tough" on the US government's investigation over alleged ties between his election campaign and Russia, calling the federal probe a "scam."
- Trump Says He'll Order DOJ Probe of Alleged Campaign Surveillance VOA 20 May 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he will order an investigation Monday about a secret source of the country's top law enforcement agency he claims infiltrated his 2016 election campaign – setting up a potential showdown with his Department of Justice, which oversees the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- DRC Gov't to Increase Ebola Outbreak Response, Offer Free Health Care - Ministry Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- The government of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has increased its emergency response to the ongoing outbreak of the Ebola virus disease (EVD) to over $4 million and has decided to provide free healthcare in the affected health zones, the country's Ministry of Public Health said on Sunday in a press release.
- DRC Launching Ebola Vaccination Campaign to Stop New Outbreak VOA 20 May 2018 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo plans to launch an Ebola vaccination program Monday to stop another widespread outbreak of the deadly disease.
- Moon, Trump Discuss Pyongyang's Threat to Cancel US-North Korea Summit Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in held a phone conversation with his US counterpart Donald Trump, during which the two leaders discussed a possible response to Pyongyang's threat to cancel the June summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Moon's office said in a statement.
- N Korea Confirms Closure of Nuclear Site After Talks With South Suspended Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- The dismantling of the Punggye-ri facility is part of a new policy, which became possible after a joint declaration was signed in Panmunjom on April 27. However, in May North Korea suspended further negotiations with Seoul over air drills that South Korea had launched with Washington.
- Trump, Moon Discuss Keeping US-N. Korean Summit on Track VOA 20 May 2018 -- The leaders of the U.S. and South Korea have discussed ways to keep the upcoming U.S.- North Korea summit on track.
- Iran: EU Not Doing Enough to Support Nuclear Deal VOA 20 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said Sunday that Europe's political support to save the 2015 international nuclear accord after the U.S. withdrawal was not sufficient if too many European companies end their investments in Iran.
- Spokesman: Claim to offer new package to Iran another JCPOA lie IRNA 20 May 2018 -- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi dismissed the claims on offers to give new package to Iran as a prelude to accept a new agreement in Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action on Sunday.
- US disrespects int'l rules by sanctioning top Iran banking official IRNA 20 May 2018 -- US disrespected the international rules and regulations by imposing sanctions upon top Iranian banking official, Central Bank of Iran (CBI) announced in a statement.
- Iran blames EU contradictory approach towards JCPOA IRNA 20 May 2018 -- The contradictory statements made by some members of the European Union, regarding the Iran nuclear deal, are dubious, Ali Akbar Velayati, a member of Iran's Expediency Council said on Sunday.
- EU considers Iran central bank transfers to beat US sanctions ISNA 20 May 2018 -- The European Commission is proposing that EU governments make direct money transfers to Iran's central bank to avoid U.S. penalties, an EU official said, in what would be the most forthright challenge to Washington's newly reimposed sanctions.
- Iran rejects report about proposal for new agreement with major powers Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Iran has rejected a report about a proposal for conclusion of a new agreement between Iran and major world powers, saying such baseless claims are fabricated by Zionist media and other international anarchists.
- Europe's political support for nuclear deal not enough: Iran FM Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the European Union's "political support" for a 2015 multilateral nuclear agreement is not enough, urging the bloc to take more practical steps to boost economic cooperation with Iran.
- EU seeks to protect companies affected by US bans over Iran: French minister Press TV 20 May 2018 -- France says it is weighing possible ways that could help the European Union compensate European companies that might be facing sanctions by the United States for doing business with Iran following Washington's withdrawal from a key 2015 nuclear agreement between Tehran and major world powers.
- EU making contradictory statements on JCPOA: Iranian official Press TV 20 May 2018 -- A senior Iranian official has questioned EU officials' contradictory remarks on the 2015 nuclear agreement after US withdrawal, saying a "duplicitous" side could not be trusted.
- China, US Agree to Avoid Trade Wars, Chinese Vice Premier Says Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- China and the United States agreed to avoid trade wars and further mutual tariffs, Chinese Vice Premier Liu He said on Sunday.
- US, China Back Away From Tariff War VOA 20 May 2018 -- The U.S. and China said Sunday they have agreed to back away from imposing tough new tariffs on each other's exports, a day after reaching an accord calling for Beijing to buy more American goods to "substantially reduce" the huge U.S. trade deficit with China.
- India's Modi To Fly To Sochi For Talks With Putin RFE/RL 20 May 2018 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is heading to the Black Sea resort of Sochi to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin on May 21 to discuss ways to strengthen the two countries' "privileged strategic" relationship.
- Sadr, Abadi agree to expedite process of forming Iraqi government Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose party won the Iraqi parliamentary election, and incumbent Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, whose list took the third place, have underlined the need for the formation of a new government as soon as possible.
- Media Watchdogs Urge Kazakhstan To Revise 'False Information' Law RFE/RL 20 May 2018 -- A coalition of 26 international press freedom organizations has called on Kazakh authorities to review recent civil and criminal actions taken against two popular independent media outlets and revise legislation used to silence the media.
- Things to Know About Formidable Russian Satan Missile Converted Into Carrier Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- A Sputnik source in the Russian space industry has confirmed that it is considering the option of reviving a program of peaceful launches of Voevoda missiles to deliver cargo into orbit around the Earth. Sputnik has gathered some facts about the characteristics of the carrier rocket based on the Voevoda missile.
- Russia May Renew 'Satan' Missile Launches to Place Satellites In Orbit Sputnik 20 May 2018 -- Russia may renew launches of the Voevoda (NATO reporting name Satan) intercontinental ballistic missiles to place spacecraft into orbit, a source in the Russian space industry told Sputnik.
- Erdogan Urges Diaspora At Bosnian Rally To 'Show Their Strength' RFE/RL 20 May 2018 -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on his compatriots living in Europe "to show their strength to the whole world" as he sought to shore up support from the country's diaspora at a rally in Sarajevo ahead of elections next month.
- Amid Protests, Venezuela's Maduro Poised to Win 2nd Term VOA 20 May 2018 -- Voter turnout in Venezuela for the country's presidential
election was sparse by mid-morning on Sunday, as incumbent Nicolas Maduro was widely expected to win a second-six year term.
- US says won't recognize Venezuela presidential election Press TV 20 May 2018 -- The United States government says it is not going to recognize the outcome of Venezuela's presidential election which will be held on Sunday.
- Venezuela: New US sanctions meant to sabotage elections Press TV 20 May 2018 -- Venezuela has slammed the United States for imposing new sanctions on the country, which Caracas says are meant to "sabotage" the presidential election due on Sunday.
- In Return As Montenegro's President, Djukanovic Pledges Stability RFE/RL 20 May 2018 -- Milo Djukanovic has been inaugurated as Montenegro's president for a second term, returning to a post he held from 1998 until 2002.
- UN, Somali Government seek $80 million in immediate relief for flood-affected populations UN News 20 May 2018 -- The United Nations and the Somali Government on Sunday launched a joint appeal for $80 million to provide immediate help for the people affected by recent flooding in the country's centre and south.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|