29 April 2018 Military News
- Taliban, Daesh Conduct Attacks in Afghanistan, Leading to 17 Victims - Reports Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- An unexploded rocket belonging to the Taliban radical movement went off in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar, resulting in at least 11 civilians dead or injured, the Khaama Press news agency reported Sunday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US defense chief vows 'ironclad' resolve to defend S Korea after peace talks with North Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- US Defense Secretary James Mattis has reiterated what he referred to as American "ironclad" commitment to defend South Korea a day after Seoul signed a joint peace declaration with the North in which both sides vowed to work toward a denuclearized Korean Peninsula and formally end the Korean War.
- Upping the Ante: German Defense Chief Seeks to Boost Military Budget Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen has warned that if the country's defense budget is not expanded, she will freeze at least one international armaments project that Berlin is currently considering.
- Iranian Armed Forces afraid of no enemy: Defense minister Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Iran's Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami says the Islamic Republic is determined to boost its deterrent power, stressing that the Iranian nation, particularly the Armed Forces, are not fearful of any enemy.
- Defense minister: Iranian nation not afraid of enemies IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- Iran's Minister of Defense Brigadier General Amir Hatami said the Iranian nation, the military forces in particular, are not afraid of enemies.
- Iranian Army overhauls F-4 fighter jet: Report Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Experts with the Iranian Air Force have successfully overhauled an F-4 fighter, rendering it airworthy, news agencies reported on Sunday.
- Military Plane Crashes in Libya Killing Three Crew Members - Reports Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- A Libyan military aircraft exploded after it collided with the ground; the causes of the calamity are still unclear, but the invistigation has already been launched.
- Belgium Keen on New Lockheed Martin Aircraft, While NATO Allies Prefer Upgrades Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- Belgium seems intent on replacing its F-16 fighter jets with F-35, although a number of NATO allies have opted for upgrading the older Lockheed Martin models.
- Remarks to the Press US Dept. of State 29 Apr 2018 -- Remarks by Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
- Remarks With Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 29 Apr 2018 -- Remarks by Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
- 3 Saudi military forces killed in Yemen IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- According to Saudi Arabia News Agency, three Saudi military forces were killed in an operation in Yemen.
- Yemeni missile hits SW Saudi Arabia IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- A concentration center of Saudi troops in Najran, south of Saudi Arabia was hit by a missile fired by the Yemeni army and people's committees Saturday night, Yemeni TV channel Almasirah reported.
- 8 civilians killed in Saudi airstrikes across Yemen in past 24 hours Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- At least eight civilians, including women and children, have been killed in Saudi Arabia's multiple airstrikes across war-torn Yemen during the past 24 hours.
- Three Saudi forces killed in clashes with Houthis on Yemeni border Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Three Saudi soldiers have lost their lives in fresh clashes with members of the Houthi Ansarullah movement along the Yemeni border amid Riyadh's ongoing aggression against the impoverished state.
- US-Backed SDF Recaptures Villages From Syrian Army VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- The Syrian army briefly captured a string of villages east of the Euphrates river Sunday before the territory was regained by the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces, Syrian state television said Sunday.
- Syrian Army recaptures 4 villages in eastern Euphrates IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- Syrian armed forces liberated 4 villages in east of Deir Ezzur Province, Syria.
- Zarif: Syria peace guarantors determined to find political solution IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- As peace guarantors of Syria, Iran, Russia and Turkey are determined to find political solution to Syrian crisis, the Iranian foreign minister said.
- Astana Process only effective initiative for Syria: Turkish FM IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu described Astana Process as the only successful international initiative for the settlement of Syrian crisis, saying that some instead of joining the process are trying to isolate it.
- Syrian Army clears southern Damascus of terrorism IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- Syrian Arab Army units on Saturday evening regained control over al-Mazniyeh neighborhood in al-Hajar al-Aswad area at the southern outskirts of Damascus, a military source said.
- Syrian army retakes villages from US-backed militants in Dayr al-Zawr Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Syrian army troops have managed to liberate a string of villages from the clutches of the US-backed militants of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the eastern parts of the Euphrates River near the border with Iraq, where the Kurdish-led forces are in control, reports say.
- SDF Regain Control of Villages Near Euphrates Captured by Syrian Army - Reports Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces have reportedly clashed with the Syrian Army to the east of the Euphrates River, in areas the Kurdish forces captured from Daesh last year.
- Iraq court gives life to 19 Russian women over Daesh membership Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- A court in Iraq has handed down life sentences to nearly two dozen Russian women over illegal entry, membership in Daesh Takfiri terrorist group, and involvement in acts of terror across the war-ravaged Arab country.
- Iraq Sentences 19 Russian Women for Joining IS VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- A court in Iraq has sentenced 19 Russian women to life in prison for joining the Islamic State terrorist group.
- Rebels, Miltary Clash in Myanmar; Thousands Flee VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- Fighting in northern Myanmar between government forces and the rebel Kachin Independence Army, or KIA, has forced more than 4,000 people to flee their homes.
- Ex-CIA Chief Defends Clapper, Blasts Trump's 'Boundless Hypocrisy' Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- Former head of the Central Intelligence Agency John Brennan unleashed a barrage of criticism upon US President Donald Trump over the latter's unfavorable remarks about former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.
- Armenia's Pashinian Optimistic As Yerevan Protests Continue RFE/RL 29 Apr 2018 -- Armenian protest leader Nikol Pashinian has expressed optimism about an upcoming prime-ministerial vote in parliament after securing the support of all opposition factions and meeting on April 29 with the leadership of the ruling Republican Party of Armenia (HHK).
- Macedonia's Zaev 'Convinced' Agreement On Name Dispute Can Be Reached With Greece RFE/RL 29 Apr 2018 -- Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev has told RFE/RL that he remains "convinced" a solution can be found to the dispute with Greece over his country's official name, but he said any constitutional change would have to be decided by a referendum.
- N. Korea to Invite US, S. Korean Experts & Journalists to Nuclear Shutdown VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un plans to invite experts and journalists from Seoul and the United States to observe when North Korea shuts down its nuclear test site in May, South Korean officials said Sunday.
- UK freezes assets of North Korean spies Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- The UK government has frozen the assets of an alleged North Korean father-and-son spying duo, who are also accused of raising funds for Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program.
- North Korea ready for Japan talks, South Korea says Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is willing to engage in dialogue with Japan's leadership at "any time."
- Trump administration has 'eyes wide open' on N Korea: Pompeo Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that the administration of President Donald Trump has its "eyes wide open" when it comes to North Korea, referring to the country's nuclear and missile programs.
- North Korea to unify time zone with South in conciliatory gesture Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un is planning to unify his country's time zone with South Korea in a gesture that could facilitate reconciliation between the two neighbors.
- US intelligence doubles down on tracking North Korea: Report Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- The US intelligence community has doubled down on tracking North Korean activities ahead of a possible meeting between President Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un, according to a report.
- North Korea to invite US experts for shutdown of nuclear site: South Korea Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has reportedly said he would invite American experts and journalists for the closing down of a nuclear site, which he has promised to do amid a thaw in relations with South Korea and potentially the United States.
- North Korea Says It Will Invite U.S. Experts, Reporters To Nuclear Plant Closing RFE/RL 29 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told South Korean President Moon Jae-in that he will close the country's nuclear test site next month, Moon's office says.
- Trump to Demand Full Removal of N. Korea's Nuclear, Ballistic Arsenal – Bolton Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump intends to seek complete elimination of the North Korean nuclear and ballistic missile arsenal before making concessions to Pyongyang in lifting economic sanctions from the country, US National Security Adviser John Bolton told Fox News on Sunday.
- Japan, US See Inter-Korean Summit as Step Toward Peace in North-East Asia - Abe Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- Japan and the United States consider the inter-Korean summit to be a step toward achieving peace and stability in the North-East Asian region, but will continue to monitor Pyongyang's actions, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Sunday.
- North Korean Leader Promised Not to Use Force, Close Nuclear Test Site - Seoul Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the inter-Korean summit pledged to avoid using force in the future and urged for preventing bloodshed of the Korean nation, a spokesperson for the South Korean presidential office said. Kim Jong-Un also said that he was determined to close up the Punggye-ri nuclear test site next month.
- Pompeo: Trump Will Exit Iran Deal If It's Not Fixed VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made clear Sunday that President Donald Trump plans to abrogate the Iran nuclear deal next month unless it is "fixed" to the U.S. liking.
- Pompeo Pushes Hard Line On Iran During Middle East Visit RFE/RL 29 Apr 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has arrived in Israel, the next leg of his first diplomatic trip to the Middle East during which he has been briefing U.S. allies about President Donald Trump's threat to quit the Iran nuclear deal.
- UK, Germany, France underline preserving JCPOA IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- The UK Prime Minister Theresa May in a phone conversation with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron emphasized the importance of preserving Iran nuclear deal.
- Iran nuclear deal should remain inviolable as basis for further contacts IRNA 29 Apr 2018 -- The Iran deal should remain inviolable as the basis for further contacts on the Iranian nuclear program, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Saturday.
- US war hawk repeats anti-Iran claims on MidEast tour Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- American war hawk Mike Pompeo is repeating false allegations against Iran during his first tour to the Middle East as the secretary of state.
- Rouhani: Iran accepts no restriction beyond JCPOA commitments Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says Tehran will not accept any limitation on its nuclear program beyond commitments undertaken as per the nuclear deal with the P5+1 group of countries.
- Britain, France and Germany reiterate support for Iran nuclear deal Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- The leaders of Britain, France and Germany have reaffirmed their support for the landmark nuclear deal with Iran, noting that it is the best way to keep limitations on Iran's nuclear program in place.
- Pompeo Arrives in Saudi Arabia, Pushes Hard Line On Iran RFE/RL 29 Apr 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is pushing the international community during his Middle East trip to impose new sanctions onpeople or entities that aid Iran's missile program, a senior official has said.
- Macron, Rouhani Agree to Work on Preserving Iran's Nuclear Deal - Elysee Palace Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani spent more than an hour in telephone talks on Sunday and agreed to work together on preserving Iran's nuclear deal, the French presidential office said in a statement.
- Meet Akademik Lomonsov: World's 1st floating nuclear plant Press TV 29 Apr 2018 -- Russia has officially launched the world's first floating nuclear power plant on board a giant ship, as part of Moscow's long-term program to address energy shortages in the country's rugged north and Far East region.
- Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin New Shepard Spaceship Launch Successful Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- The eighth test launch of a rocket manufactured by US private space company Blue Origin has proved successful, as both the booster and capsule have landed safely on a site in Texas.
- Nigeria's Buhari to Discuss Terrorism, Economy With Trump in Washington VOA 29 Apr 2018 -- Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari is slated to meet with U.S. President Donald Trump in Washington Monday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|