21 April 2018 Military News
- Taliban Attacks Short-Circuit Kabul Power Plays RFE/RL 21 Apr 2018 -- A Taliban attack in an isolated part of northern Afghanistan has revealed how vulnerable Kabul is when it comes to maintaining its electricity supply -- a weakness the Taliban now says it is exploiting in order to pressure the Afghan government on its demands.
- Afghan Army: Dozens Of Militants Killed In Operations RFE/RL 21 Apr 2018 -- Dozens of suspected Taliban and Islamic State (IS) militants were killed by Afghan security forces in the past 24 hours across the country, Afghan authorities said on April 21.
- IS Blocks Cell Phone Service in Eastern Afghan Districts VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- Officials in Afghanistan confirmed Saturday that Islamic State militants have forcibly shut down telecommunications services in two districts of the eastern Kunar province.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bonhomme Richard Arrives at Sasebo Japan for Last Time, Prepares for Homeport Shift NNS 21 Apr 2018 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) arrived in Sasebo, Japan, April 17, marking the ship's final time in Sasebo as it prepares for a homeport shift to San Diego.
- China continues military drills near Taiwan Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- The Chinese military is continuing military drills in the western Pacific through waters south of Taiwan.
- China: No Military Aim of Corridor Project With Pakistan VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- China has strongly refuted suggestions its multibillion-dollar economic corridor now under construction with Pakistan has "hidden" military designs as well.
- MND monitoring politically charged voyage of Chinese aircraft carrier CNA 21 Apr 2018 -- The Ministry of National Defense released a statement Saturday assuring the public that the military is monitoring China's Liaoning aircraft carrier as it makes its way through the Western Pacific.
- 3rd Plenary Meeting of 7th C.C., WPK Held in Presence of Kim Jong Un KCNA 21 Apr 2018 -- The 3rd Plenary Meeting of the 7th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea took place in Pyongyang on April 20.
- UN chief Guterres says he is hopeful about North Korea talks Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has said that he has "hope" for negotiations with North Korea after it announced that it would be halting its nuclear tests and intercontinental ballistic missile launches.
- Russia, EU praise North Korean leader's decision on halting nuclear tests Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Russia and the European Union (EU) have hailed the landmark decision made by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to suspend his country's nuclear tests and intercontinental ballistic missile launches as a sign of seriousness in pursuing peace with rival South Korea.
- UK welcomes North Korea's decision to suspend nuclear tests Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- The United Kingdom has welcomed North Korea's decision to suspend nuclear and missile tests and abolish an atomic test site, calling it a positive step.
- China welcomes North Korea's decision to suspend weapons tests Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- China has welcomed North Korea's recent reported decision to suspend its nuclear and ballistic missile tests as a sign of seriousness in pursuing peace with rival South Korea.
- North Korean Leader Says Pyongyang Will Suspend Nuclear, Missile Tests RFE/RL 21 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says his country will freeze tests of nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles and close down a nuclear test site, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reports.
- Japan's Abe Lauds North Korea Move to End Nuclear Tests Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Saturday praised the move by North Korea to halt nuclear and long-range missile testing.
- Kim Jong-un Ceases Nuke and Missile Tests, Trump Welcomes the Move Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un declared that Pyongyang no longer needs to continue ballistic missile and nuclear weapons testing, according to the state-run KCNA news agency.
- Russia May Supply India Forces With Armaments Tested in Real Warfare Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Russia is prepared to provide a wide range of anti-aircraft weapons and military equipment, which have been successfully tried in real conditions, to India, Director General of the Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport Alexander Mikheev said on Friday.
- Japan Asks Lockheed Martin to Craft Hybrid F-35 and F-22 Aircraft Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Tokyo and Lockheed Martin are reportedly discussing the creation of a hybrid F-22 and F-35 fighter aircraft to protect Japanese airspace starting in 2030.
- Saudi airstrikes on Yemen kill 25 civilians IRNA 21 Apr 2018 -- Saudi jet fighters conducted 50 bombardments on Yemen and killed at least 25 civilians in 24 hours.
- Saudi-backed militants kill ICRC aid worker with multiple gunshots in Yemen Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Saudi-backed gunmen have shot dead a Lebanese aid worker of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Yemen's southwestern city of Ta'izz and injured several others.
- Syria Army destroys terrorists hotbeds in al-Hajar al-Aswad IRNA 21 Apr 2018 -- Army units destroyed hotbeds and ammunition caches for terrorist organizations positioned in Western Ghouta to uproot terrorists completely from southern Damascus.
- Let's allow chemical weapons inspectors from the OPCW to do their jobs in Syria IRNA 21 Apr 2018 -- As a participant in the negotiations that led to the 1992 Chemical Weapons Convention, unilateral responses to the alleged gas attack in Douma are unhelpful, Iran's ambassador to Britain said.
- OPCW inspectors enter Douma to probe alleged gas attack: Russia Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Russia says experts from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons have arrived in the Syrian town of Douma, where a suspected gas attack was carried out.
- Syrian army forces kill high-profile terrorist commander, two aides near Damascus Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Syrian government forces have launched separate operations against positions of foreign-sponsored Takfiri militant groups in the country's southwestern province of Rif Dimashq, inflicting heavy losses on their ranks.
- Iran president vows full support for Syria reconstruction Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says the Islamic Republic is fully prepared to help Syria with the reconstruction of the war-ravaged country.
- There is no military solution to Syria crisis: Guterres Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres has ruled out any military solution to the Syria crisis following recent US-led airstrikes against the war-torn country.
- Militants surrender another area near Damascus to government: State media Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Syrian media say Takfiri militants have agreed to surrender another area near the capital, Damascus, under a deal with the government, which enables their exit to northern Syria.
- Russia: Chemical Weapons Inspectors Arrive At Syria Site RFE/RL 21 Apr 2018 -- International experts from the global agency for the monitoring of chemical weapons have arrived at the site of a suspected April 7 gas attack in the Syrian town of Douma, Russia's Foreign Ministry said.
- OPCW Collects Samples in Douma in Connection With Alleged Chemical Incident Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- The fact-finding mission of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) has visited a site in the Damascus suburb of Douma to collect samples in connection with the alleged April 7 chemical attack, the OPCW said Saturday.
- 'We need accountability' to end the crime of chemical weapons use in Syria, says Guterres UN News 21 Apr 2018 -- The members of the United Nations Security Council need to find a way to unite and punish anyone found to have used chemical weapons in Syria, in line with international law.
- Chemical Monitor Gathers Samples in Douma, Site of Suspected Gas Attack VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- An international chemical weapons monitor group said a team of inspectors collected samples Saturday at the site of an alleged gas attack two weeks ago in the Syrian town of Douma.
- 15 militants killed in fresh clashes in Mali's north: Army Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Some 15 militants have been killed in an anti-militant operation by Mali's army in the northern regions of the West African country.
- UNHCR Deplores Forcible Deportation of Nigerian Refugees by Cameroon VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- The UN refugee agency denounces the latest forcible deportations of Nigerian refugees to violence-prone Borno State by Cameroon, calling it a violation of international law.
- US Lawmakers Call for Greater US Role in Libya VOA 21 Apr 2018 -- U.S. lawmakers this week strongly endorsed continued U.S. military engagement in Libya, calling it vital for building the country's unity and keeping it from becoming a hub for terrorism.
- CIA releases memo clearing Gina Haspel in torture tape destruction Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- The Central Intelligence Agency has declassified an internal memo clearing US President Donald Trump's choice to head the spy agency of wrongdoing for the destruction of videotapes depicting the waterboarding of terrorism suspects in 2005.
- 'Acted Appropriately': CIA Memo Says Haspel Was Right to Destroy Torture Tapes Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- The Central Intelligence Agency has declassified a memo relating to Gina Haspel's record amid evidence that the intelligence officer approved of and then covered up the use of torture techniques against terror suspects in the mid-2000s.
- Statement by official spokesman of police of Riyadh region regarding flight of recreational drone in Khuzama district SPA 21 Apr 2018 -- The official spokesman of the Riyadh police said that at 19:50 pm on Saturday, 5/8/1439 H., one of the security screening points in the neighborhood of Khuzama in Riyadh noticed the flying of an unauthorized small recreational drone leading the security men in the security point to deal with it according to their orders and instructions in this regard.
- Heavy gunfire, explosions reported from vicinity of royal palace in Riyadh Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Heavy gunfire and explosions has been reported from outside the royal palace in Saudi Arabian capital Riyadh.
- 'Path is open' to peaceful denuclearization of Korean Peninsula - UN chief UN News 21 Apr 2018 -- Following the leader of North Korea's announcement that nuclear and missile tests are to end, the United Nations chief António Guterres said on Saturday that the "path is open for the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean peninsula".
- Japan, South Korea welcome North Korea's decision on halting nuclear tests Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Japanese and South Korean leaders have praised the momentous decision made by North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to halt his country's nuclear tests and intercontinental ballistic missile launches and abolish an atomic test site as a sign of earnestness in seeking peace with rival South Korea.
- Beijing Hopes All Parties Take Steps to Achieve Peace on Korean Peninsula Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- China hopes that, following North Korea's decision to cease nuclear and missile tests, all parties concerned will take steps toward achieving lasting peace and progress on the Korean Peninsula, China's Foreign Ministry said Saturday.
- Islamic State Declares War on Iraq's General Elections VOA 20 Apr 2018 -- As Iraq approaches an important election to choose a new parliament and government, the Islamic State terror group has vowed to carry out attacks against candidates running for office.
- Turkish parliament approves holding snap elections on June 24 Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Turkey's parliament has passed a motion to hold snap presidential and parliamentary elections in the country on June 24, despite objections from the opposition that argues the move will cement President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's grip on power more than a year ahead of schedule.
- Armenia arrests 70, including 2 suspected attackers, as protests continue Press TV 21 Apr 2018 -- Armenian authorities have announced that at least 70 people have been arrested in ongoing protests caused by the re-election of a former president into the office of prime minister.
- Opposition Leader Reiterates Calls For Sarkisian's Resignation In Talks With Armenian President RFE/RL 21 Apr 2018 -- Armenian President Armen Sarkisian met protest leader Nikol Pashinian on April 21 in Yerevan's central Republic Square, where thousands demonstrated for a ninth consecutive day against the country's newly elected prime minister.
- Opposition Protests in Armenia Expand Despite Authorities' Call for Dialogue Sputnik 21 Apr 2018 -- Mass protests against the election of former Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan as prime minister were held in Armenia for the eighth consecutive day on Friday, with the authorities of the republic, including incumbent leader Armen Sarkisian, calling for a dialogue.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|